VA - Codi Bigsby, 4, *Dad named POI* Hampton, 31 Jan 2022 - MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINES *NO DISCUSSION*

Kareem made the following claims on the stand:

She had been in a relationship with Cory Bigsby for four years, and although they were engaged at one point, they were never married. After she ended their relationship in 2019, she moved to Washington D.C.

She was hospitalized in 2020. She then decided to let Bigsby have the kids and wanted to co-parent. She met Bigsby halfway between D.C. and Hampton on Nov. 1, 2020, with their four kids.

She was never given Bigsby's address, and he was often unreachable.

An email she received from Bigsby in April of 2021 said the following, in part: "[Codi] is still doing the same stuff... He needs to come back to you... I do not want to seriously hurt him to protect my babies." Bigsby also said Codi needed to see a psychiatrist. Kareem said she did not believe the claims Bigsby was making in the email.

She had not spoken to Codi since April of 2021. In the last email she sent Cory on Jan. 15, 2022, she asked him, "Where are my kids? Are they alive?"
[snip]
Brown also showed Kareem a photo of Codi while he was in Bigsby's care, and asked if he looked like he was in any kind of distress.

"Yes," she tearfully responded. "He looks sad... I'm used to seeing him joyful, smiling. He looks frightened."

Codi's 7-year-old brother is also expected to testify, but not in the courtroom.
'He looks frightened:' Codi Bigsby's mother testifies in murder trial against Cory Bigsby

Bigsby murder trial updates: Cody's mother says Cory ghosted her after she dropped kids off in 2020. ......
A handler for a tracking dog testified his canine didn't pick up any scent belonging to Codi – despite saying he received a pillowcase from Bigsby that the child allegedly used just the night prior.

However, a handler for a cadaver dog testified his canine alerted to the scent of human decomposition or remains in one of the bedrooms inside the Bigsby home. That cadaver dog, according to the handler, also detected negative results from some rancid animal meat in a mini fridge.

MAR 7, 2024
The judge presiding over the trial was assigned to this case in July 2022. Judge James Hawks is a retired judge and was brought in specifically for this case. He spent more than 30 years as a defense attorney in Portsmouth. He also served 8 years on Portsmouth City Council before ending his career in that city as a Circuit Court Judge from 2006 to 2016. Both the Commonwealth’s Attorney and the defense attorneys are familiar with Judge Hawks by now. They have gone before him a number of times for different motions in this case. Notably, Judge Hawks decided last summer to grant Cory Bigsby bond after he had been denied bond six times as he awaited trial.

MAR 7, 2024

Bigsby murder trial: 7-year-old brother gives emotional testimony of last memories of Codi

12:30 p.m. — Brother shares last memories of Codi

The now-7-year-old brother of missing Codi Bigsby testified that at one point, he wasn't able to wake Codi up. He said he shook Codi, but he never responded, and that his face was red and bruised.

When the child went to tell his father, Cory Bigsby responded with "Nothing is wrong with Codi."

It's unclear when this incident happened.

The defense is in the middle of asking questions to the boy testifying right now. Bigsby's attorney appears to paint the boy's recollection of events as inconsistent.

12 p.m. — Codi's 7-year-old brother gives emotional testimony

In court, the child described his missing brother Codi as his "best friend," sharing that he nicknamed Codi "Coco."

The boy testified he was four when he last saw Codi. At times, the boy rubbed his eyes while appearing to cry. The jury and court spectators are seeing him testify through a webcam feed.

MAR 7, 2024

"I was thinking that he was dead" Codi Bigsby's brother testifies in court

MAR 7, 2024
Codi Bigsby's brother testifies in their father's murder trial
The brother claimed Cory Bigsby would often punish Codi and said “he would spank him.”

He also claimed there was an instance in which he couldn’t wake up his brother Codi. “His face was red, it was dry, and it was bruised,” the brother said.

[snip]

“I asked [my dad] what was wrong with Codi. He said nothing was wrong with him,” the brother said.

When the prosecution asked the boy if he believed his dad, he said: “No…because [Codi] looked dead.”

MAR 7, 2024

Bigsby murder trial: 7-year-old brother gives emotional testimony of last memories of Codi

4 p.m. — More details on testimony of Codi's brother

From another room, the 7-year-old brother of Codi Bigsby said didn't like living with his father Cory because he told lies about Codi. The boy said his mom is taking care of him now.

Throughout his son's testimony, Cory Bigsby didn't appear to show emotion. He leaned back in his chair and yawned at some points.

The boy testified about the last time he saw Codi. It wasn't clear when, but he said he was 4 years old. Based on his birthday, that would've been in 2021.

MAR 7, 2024
6:15 p.m. — Trial could stretch into next week

By the end of the day on Thursday, the prosecution had called 10 witnesses, with more expected to take the stand on Friday. The potential witnesses of the fifth day of Bigsby's trial could include correctional officers at the Hampton Roads Regional Jail and an FBI agent.

The prosecution could rest its case on Friday, at which point it'll be the defense's turn to present its case. The trial was originally scheduled to last until Friday, but it could now run into early next week.

MAR 8, 2024
Defense attorneys for Cory Bigsby are likely to start presenting their case to the jury on Friday.

It remains to be seen exactly which witnesses the Defense plans to call, although they said earlier in the week they plan to call a female family member of Cory Bigsby.

[...]

During opening statements, Attorney Kenneth Singleton told the jury they planned to present evidence that Codi was alive between June and January.

[...]

MAR 8, 2024
The prosecution rested its case in the trial of Cory Bigsby...

[...]

This morning, prosecutors called a Hampton Roads Regional Jail correctional officer to the stand. He focused on one of Cory Bigsby's jailhouse confessions, which 13News Now has reported before.

[...]

The officer testified about the early morning of Aug. 4, 2022, when he said Bigsby prompted him to write something down.

The officer read off the statement in court and began to cry.

It said in part, "I found my son unresponsive, tried CPR, I could not revive him."

[...]

MAR 8, 2024
[...]

A former corrections officer at Hampton Roads Regional Jail testified about writings made by Bigsby in a notebook. It includes a statement with a giant X through it, but it offers the most disturbing details in the case.

According to the officer’s testimony, it reads “On 18 June 2021… I grabbed and dragged Codi, bumped his head on the floor and beat him with my fists… He went into cardiac arrest. I performed CPR but he did not respond.”

Bigsby then goes onto allegedly write that he defiled Codi’s body with his own excrement. Bigsby adds that he ended up burning his own clothes, and concludes the statement with the phrase “please accept my confession.”

[...]

MAR 11, 2024
[...]

Will former Hampton Police Chief testify?​

... They may also call Norfolk Police Chief Mark Talbot to the stand because he was chief of the Hampton Police Division at the time of Codi's disappearance.

When did Codi really go missing?​

The Commonwealth made the case last week that Codi Bigsby was killed in June 2021... During opening statements, defense attorneys said they plan to present evidence that Codi was alive between June and January.

Is circumstantial evidence enough?​

The case lacks physical evidence, like DNA, fingerprints or a body, so prosecutors presented only circumstantial evidence. Kenneth Singleton ... posed this question to the jury: "What do these witnesses bring that shows evidence of a murder?" The question now is whether the jury heard enough circumstantial evidence to convict. ...

[...]

MAR 11, 2024
Bigsby murder trial updates: Defense witness testimony underway Monday morning.
11 a.m. — 911 call reporting Codi missing, Cory Bigsby's jail behavior discussed in testimony
Hampton's director of public safety communications brought a copy of the 911 call Cory Bigsby made to report his son missing on Jan. 31, 2022.

Bigsby said in part, “I think my son is missing," and reported that he searched for Codi, even outside, and couldn’t find him. Bigsby told the operator he last saw Codi the night before wearing black sweatpants, a black shirt, a black jacket, black socks and Spider-Man flip-flops.

The assistant superintendent for Hampton Roads Regional Jail also testified, shedding light on Cory Bigsby's behavior.

He said Bigsby transferred several times while in custody, first starting in the quarantine unit for COVID-19 safety precautions, then general population.

MAR 11, 2024

1:10 p.m. — Defense rests its case​

Before resting their case on Monday, Cory Bigsby's defense team called six witnesses to the stand during the morning and early afternoon.

[...]

Defense attorneys also called Bigsby's sister, Tandaleyia Butler, to the stand. She testified her brother and nephews, including Codi, came to see her in Washington DC in September 2021. Bigsby's lawyers called her to testify to seemingly diminish the prosecutors' argument about Bigsby killing Codi in June of 2021.

Prosecuting attorneys then played multiple news interviews featuring Butler. She gave different responses to questions posed about the last time she saw Codi. Only in the third and final interview shown in court did Butler mention seeing Codi at the September 2021 gathering.

Next, a Hampton man who lives in Buckroe Beach testified. He said he remembers seeing a boy who looked like Codi at a local grocery store two days before Bigsby reported his son missing.

Prosecutors presented a photo of a boy, who unbeknownst to the witness is Codi's older brother. The man identified him as the boy he saw at the store.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back