VA VA - David Metzler, 19, & Heidi Childs, 18, fatally shot, Montgomery Co, 26 Aug 2009

If the gun used was in fact a 30-30, because this is so typical gun used for deer hunting from the country locals, as well as the location of the crime, it leads most anyone to thinking this was a hunter that did this.

No witnesses (that lived), no tire prints, no DNA, nothing at all.. out in the middle of the boonies.

Very little chance of solving this unless someone gets drunk or something and talks to much.

In 2012 the then sheriff, Tommy Whitt, announced that they had the killer's DNA, so they have that part. In fact, some locals stated that LE obtained voluntary DNA samples from residents along Craig Creek Road. I don't remember where I read that or heard it, but it has been stated. I don't believe the sheriff ever stated what the nature or source of the DNA was. Since the killer may have removed Heidi purse from the car he may have left it while taking the purse from the vehicle. We don't know if they have tire prints as the crime was discovered fairly quick so this may be something LE has held back. The fact that LE was looking for about 8-12 vehicles - of wide makes and types - seen in the area, does make me wonder if they have tracks.

The fact that it is a 30-30 does mean the weapon was most likely purchased for deer hunting and the killer is likely a deer hunter as it doesn't make the ideal home defense weapon. However, the problem is that the 30-30 cartridge has been around for well over 100 years. There is also a possibility that the killer may have used - either by borrowing or inheriting - his father's or grandfather's rifle. Or even, great-grandfather's rifle. Therefore, it is possible the killer is not a hunter, but using the gun the original owner purchased for hunting. There is a large part of the problem. I believe I read an article once where one of the major cartridge makers (Federal?, don't remember) listed it as one of the top 10 rifle cartridges sold. This is likely due to the durability of the rifles using the cartridge, primarily the Winchester Model 94 and the Marlin Model 336.

I am amazed that there is never any news with this case!!!!

Nothing but crickets....

Hopefully the State Police are pursuing the DNA and genetic
genealogy....
We can hope the VSP are actively looking at ways to use the DNA. But, I don't believe I've seen an update from LE in 2-3 years. From VA Tech in the last 2-3 years - nada, zippo, nothing. I've written a synopsis of the case with media references and sent it to one YouTube broadcaster and about 5 or 6 podcasters. To date, I've received an acknowledgement from 2 of the podcasters and one seemed interested but no coverage by anyone.

Dear @geojeffrey,

In general, you can offer your theory to cases on Websleuths if you use the following guidelines:

Never post about people who are private citizens. You cannot randomly accuse just anyone of a crime.
Your theory cannot defy reality. A theory must be based on common sense and logic. If your theory makes the reader put aside common sense then it will probably be removed.
If you want to accuse someone who has been mentioned as connected to the case and the mainstream media has reported their name you still can't randomly accuse them of the crime.
If there is a person of interest being reported on in the case then yes you can use their name in your theory.

Click on my user name and chose "Start a Conversation". This will take you into our private message area. Send me your theory and I can tell you more about whether it is allowed or not on Websleuths.
Take Care,
Tricia

I've really gotten frustrated with this case here of late. I'm sending out another round of emails to podcasters and YouTube broadcasters. I don't know if it is good or bad timing with CrimeCon coming up in less than a month and many of them focusing on their attendance in New Orleans.

This is a cold case in my book. Until something new comes out (someone talks, or someone gets arrested and DNA tested for something unrelated, etc.). I live near Blacksburg and unfortunately, there are a lot of bubba looney tune people there.

The Caldwell Fields Murders Facebook page has an August 2 post from Alexandra Lo Re who states she is a digital reporter for Dateline NBC and she says she is writing a Cold Case spotlight on this case. Hopefully with the 10-year anniversary approaching that more media spotlight can be shed and this waste of human space can be caught and brought to justice.

Here is an article about my suspect in this case:

Ralph Leon Jackson arrested in Parkway shooting

"We have no motives," Fisher said at the Wednesday night press conference. "There's no rhyme or reason."

Asked by a reporter if the case might be connected to the double-slaying of two Virginia Tech students at a wilderness campground last fall, the sheriff said he didn't yet know but that the Virginia State Police would investigate that.

Here is an article about my suspect in this case:

Ralph Leon Jackson arrested in Parkway shooting

"We have no motives," Fisher said at the Wednesday night press conference. "There's no rhyme or reason."

Asked by a reporter if the case might be connected to the double-slaying of two Virginia Tech students at a wilderness campground last fall, the sheriff said he didn't yet know but that the Virginia State Police would investigate that.

Here is an article about this crime and others on the Parkways including the Shenandoah Park double murder:

Unsolved Mysteries: 4 Crimes and Disapearances from Public Lands in the Southeast

This is probably related to the upcoming Press Conference about the case. Here is a tribute video for Heidi Childs:

Here is one for David Metzler:

Here is another report about the upcoming Press Conference:

https://www.tribpub.com/gdpr/chicagotribune.com/

Here is another video report about the case. As I say I would look at Ralph Jackson and if other LE wonder why it has taken so long to look at him they should ask the FBI and the same applies for those working the Colonial Parkway Murders and Route 29 Stalker cases etc, etc, etc:

August 26, 2019, marks 10 years since Heidi Childs, 18, and David Metzler, 19, were shot and killed in the parking lot of Caldwell Fields in Montgomery County.

Both were sophomores at Virginia Tech University who met before college through their church youth group. They were both accomplished athletes, played guitar and sang, and came from close-knit families from Campbell and Bedford counties.

On Friday, law enforcement will provide an investigative overview and update on the active investigation. Childs’ and Metzler’s families will share remarks, as well.
Update expected in double murder of Virginia Tech students

August 26, 2019, marks 10 years since Heidi Childs, 18, and David Metzler, 19, were shot and killed in the parking lot of Caldwell Fields in Montgomery County.

Both were sophomores at Virginia Tech University who met before college through their church youth group. They were both accomplished athletes, played guitar and sang, and came from close-knit families from Campbell and Bedford counties.

On Friday, law enforcement will provide an investigative overview and update on the active investigation. Childs’ and Metzler’s families will share remarks, as well.
Update expected in double murder of Virginia Tech students

My son started his first year at tech when this happened. I remember calling him in a panic because the first rumors were that they had been killed on campus.

The Caldwell Fields Murders Facebook page has an August 2 post from Alexandra Lo Re who states she is a digital reporter for Dateline NBC and she says she is writing a Cold Case spotlight on this case. Hopefully with the 10-year anniversary approaching that more media spotlight can be shed and this waste of human space can be caught and brought to justice.

Really surprising that this case never got much media attention.

Parents share memories as police put new focus on murder investigation
Aug 23, 2019
"They really enjoyed spending time together," said Laura Childs. "They weren't really dating."

Throughout high school David and Heidi sang and performed together as part of a praise and worship team. As graduation approached, the pair gravitated toward the same college: Virginia Tech."

"We just encouraged them not to go there as an entity," said Keith Metzler. "They did that"
"Their time in Blacksburg helped them realize being together was what they wanted. Heidi's dad remembers David asking permission to formally date his daughter.

"I remember the night," Don Childs said. "He was so nervous. He came to the door and I was kidding with Heidi. I said I am going to give him a hard time. She said 'no, dad, don't!'"

The two became inseparable. They even worked together during their summer break.

When they returned to campus in August, important changes were afoot. Heidi, a longtime lover of science, decided to go pre-med. She called her mom to share the news.

"She was talking so fast that I could barely understand what she was saying," Laura Childs said. "I finally said 'honey, you need to slow down. I want to hear what you have to say.' She was so excited."

It was the last conversation the Childs ever had with their daughter. That night, she and David traveled to Caldwell Fields, an isolated spot about 20 minutes from campus.

Heidi's parents say they think the couple went there to talk about Heidi's plan to go pre-med and how that might impact their relationship.

"They wanted to sit down together," said Don Childs. "They had their guitars and they were going to sing, talk, play music, and try to talk it out. That never happened."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back