Found Deceased Va - Denise Martin, 22, Virginia Beach, 19 June 2018

Denise’s friends seem to be doing their own investigating separate from law enforcement. They’ve made various comments about where she’s “hiding”, etc. Do you think they’d keep it quiet if she made suicidal remarks, had a history of mental illness, or told someone she was going to hide? I suppose it’s possible that LE or family have asked for these things to be kept quiet.

This is sad. If there is an illness, how scary for her friends! And of course with some illnesses, the person sees death as a solution. So that thought is probably going through their minds while they try to maintain hope and keep searching. Does anyone know if they are getting fliers into the homeless population? The regulars in those communities would know if a newcomer was there, or had been seen in the area.

This is a short version of a timeline for Denise's disappearance. I'm still hoping that she will be found any minute, but I wanted to keep the little bit of information that is available together:
_________________________​

Sometime during the evening | Monday, June 18/18:
One of Denise’s best friends phoned Denise. She didn’t hear back from Denise.

1 am | June 19/18:
Denise and her boyfriend finished a long and routine conversation.

7 am or 8 am | Tuesday, June 19/18:
Denise’s father s confirmed Denise was at home with him and her younger brother, who was still sleeping. Denise’s father described having a pleasant conversation with Denise and then leaving for work as Denise was showering.

8:22 am | Tuesday, June 19/18:
Denise’s friend confirmed—that law enforcement confirmed—that a neighbor saw Denise sitting by the front yard.

@ approx. 9:30 am | Tuesday, June 19/18:
Denise’s brother woke up and noticed that his sister’s wallet, phone, car keys, debit card and ID were all left at the house and she wasn’t there.

Sometime during the morning | Tuesday, June 19/18:
Denise’s friend heard from Denise’s father that Denise was missing.

Sometime before 3:30 pm | Tuesday, June 19/18:
Denise’s father and brother looked around the house and some other nearby spots they thought she could be. Then they filed a missing person’s report with the Virginia Beach police.

3:30 pm | Tuesday, June 19/18:
Authorities confirmed a missing person’s report was filed.

Now, I have a longer, linked version which--due to its length--I will add in the spoiler.

DENISE MARTIN MISSING SINCE JUNE 19, 2018
$500.00 REWARD OFFERED
Friends continue their search for Denise Martin
5wcmco.jpg
33bhgt3.jpg
o76nhf.jpg
2liftc6.jpg

Denise Martin Last Possibly Seen Wearing:
Black Loose Shorts - Hair in Top Bun - Bright Shirt - Small brown purse - White Grocery Bag
Allen Cole on Twitter

Update on description:
Black shorts, bight colored short sleeve t-shirt (possibly red or orange), high top black shoes with some sort of bright colored accent (maybe shoe laces), carrying a light brown over the shoulder bag.
Brittany Deneen on Twitter

Black oval glasses:
Denise will most likely be wearing black oval prescription glasses and she has a tattoo of a sun on her left clavicle. (Friend stated they can’t find her glasses, so it is believed she is wearing them).
Miriam Stephanie Graciela Loya

Missing Items:
Snipped:
“She left her keys, wallet, ID, phone, and car behind,” Miriam said.
https://southsidedaily.com/local-ne...ontinues-for-missing-22-year-old-local-woman/

Snipped: She said Martin's cell phone, car keys, and wallet with her ID and debit cards were all left at her home.
Virginia Beach woman missing since Tuesday morning

NOTABLE STATEMENTS

Snipped: Martin’s mother died in December 2015, [December 27, 2016] according to an online obituary.
Friends of missing Virginia Beach woman say they feel "helpless," but they continue search

Snipped: “She was close to her family and wanted to be with them as soon as she graduated — she couldn’t wait to move out of Farmville.”
https://southsidedaily.com/local-ne...ontinues-for-missing-22-year-old-local-woman/

Snipped: They said she never disappears for an extended period of time.
Family and friends continue search for missing 22-year-old Virginia Beach woman

Snipped: She has no history of disappearing and this is very out of character for her.

Snipped: Miriam said. “I know her, she would never leave her phone behind.”

TIMELINE TO DATE

Snipped: Jordan, Martin’s boyfriend, said that the night before her disappearance, he talked on the phone with her until 1 a.m. Jordan, who was working as a sound engineer in Ohio, said nothing seemed out of the ordinary. They discussed her upcoming visit to the Midwest and planned to talk again the next morning.

“It was just a conversation that we normally would have. She gave no indication of wanting to disappear or run away,” said Jordan, who has been dating Martin since September and drove nine hours from Ohio to join the search. “She has never given any kind of clue of wanting to do something like this, and she certainly didn’t do that in our last conversation.”

Friends of missing Virginia Beach woman say they feel "helpless," but they continue search

Snipped: "I gave her a call later on Monday evening as I was on my way to our old apartment to pack up our stuff. I didn’t hear back from her and then the following morning I heard from her father that she was missing," said Miriam.
Virginia Beach woman missing since Tuesday morning

Snipped: Martin was last seen by her father in the 2600 block Dunlace Way at around 7 or 8 a.m. Tuesday.

Snipped: “She had a conversation with her dad shortly before she disappeared that morning. She planned to go to the store and check out this new theatre that she heard about,” Miriam said.

Transcribed from the video @ about 1:16 minutes in:
On Tuesday morning Denise’s father says she was in the shower when he left for work and her younger brother was sleeping.
Woman missing from Virginia Beach

Snipped: However, Martin’s best friend, Miriam, said police have confirmed that a neighbor saw Martin sitting by the front yard at 8:22 a.m.

Transcribed from the video @ about 1:22 minutes in:
When the brother woke up Denise was gone.
Woman missing from Virginia Beach

Snipped: At around 9:30 that morning, Martin’s brother woke up and noticed that his sister’s wallet, phone, car keys, debit card and ID were all left at the house and she wasn’t there, said Miriam, who stayed with Martin’s family for three days after arriving in town.

Martin’s dad and brother looked around the house and some other nearby spots they thought she could be. Then they filed a missing-person report with the Virginia Beach police, Miriam said.

LAW ENFORCEMENT'S INVOLVEMENT

Snipped: Authorities said Martin’s family had filed a “missing persons” report at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday. Detectives have been searching late Wednesday night and early Thursday.

Police said there is no evidence of a break-in at the woman’s home and, at this point, they don’t believe foul play was involved, but the detective who spoke with Martin’s family and Miriam said authorities are not yet ruling out the possibility of foul play.

Snipped: Virginia Beach police said they have no credible information to indicate foul play.

Snipped: Virginia Beach police said in an emailed statement Thursday afternoon that they have an active missing persons case and that detectives have been working on it since the report was taken.

But they said there is no credible information to indicate that Martin is in danger.

Family and friends continue search for missing 22-year-old Virginia Beach woman

SEARCHES AND POSSIBLE SIGHTINGS

June 21st Tweet: Resuming search now. Team is on the move to Virginia Beach Blvd to follow up on a tip.
#BringDeniseHome hashtag on Twitter

Comments Posted June 22, 2018: [Possible sightings would have occurred Wednesday morning, June 21th, around 6 am with search conducted possibly Friday, June 22]

1st comment: “Denise was tracked by Bloodhounds to the area around my church. Her friends are there now searching. If you've seen her, please call this number. I may have seen her walking down Mount Pleasant towards the bridge around 6 this morning. If it was her she may have turned down Fentress Airfield or Blackwater.”

2nd comment: Denise's father and a few of her friends came up to my church yesterday when we were about to start choir practice and told us that 2 independent tracking dogs had both tracked her scent around Mt. Pleasant and Doolittle...which is right where my church is. They asked if they could see our surveillance footage from our cameras to see if they showed her at all.

3rd comment: Mt Pleasant United Methodist on Mt Pleasant near Fentress Airfield. 4 of us may have seen her Thursday morning, between Bergey's and Fentress Airfield Road, heading in the direction of the North Landing Bridge. But no one knows which way she went after that...
{Link Available If Requested}

Snipped:
Article Published: 11:32 PM EDT June 24, 2018 | Updated: 6:08 AM EDT June 25, 2018
“We had a tip last night that she was somewhere near Sandbridge Road, so we’re looking over there today,” said Smalley.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This is really close to her house: Google Maps

Updated map link-- it appears to be only yards from her house in the woods behind these houses :(
Thanks so much for this. I see where I was wrong. Blue pin is general wooded area where the remains were found; red pin is general area where Denise lived.

zlaczp.jpg

I don't know if this is the right address because I don't see any wooded area. Oh, darn. I don't want this to be her.
Oh no.........please don't let this be Denise....
Here is the google map again
I don't really see a wooded area
Google Maps

I believe Google autoplots to the wrong end of Edgehill Ave. There is a small wooded area between Edgehill Ave and St John the Apostle Catholic School:

Google Maps

Virginia Beach police find body while searching for missing 22-year-old woman
Per Article:

A police spokeswoman said the body was not in a condition to give a positive identification at the scene.

Martin's missing persons case has not been closed, Officer Tonya Pierce said. Police have been searching where there have been alleged sightings. The investigation had gathered nothing to indicate Martin was suicidal or taken against her will, Pierce said today.

Why did it take so long for LE to take this seriously? I mean, her friends were constantly searching for her. They knew she was in trouble. How can they say nothing indicated she was suicidal or taken against her will?

another article: Virginia Beach Police say body found during search for missing 22-year-old

Around 9 a.m., investigators conducted an area search in the Redmill area related to the active missing person’s case of Martin. During the search, one of the search teams located a deceased person along the wooded area of the 2500 block of Edgehill Avenue.
Well, the map at that link is showing the pin way up there where I had it originally, but I think that's incorrect.

Edited to add: Okay. I see the problem now. Thank you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back