VA - Cullen, 1, Emily Bivens, 24, & Joan Bernard, 62, Pittsylvania, murdered, 26 Aug 2019 *Arrest*

Here's what I put together:

Thursday, August 28th:
*Arraignment Hearing-Postponed (@ am ET) – VA – Emily Marie Bernard Bivens (25), Cullen Micah Bivens (14 mos.) & Joan Bernard (62) (August 27, 2019, Pittsylvania) - *Matthew Thomas Bernard (19) (bro of Emily, son of Joan) arrested & charged (8/27/19) with 3 counts of 1st degree murder & 3 counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony. Held with bond. On suicide watch.
8/28/19 Update: Arraignment hearing was cancelled, as Bernard was hospitalized.

Unfazed by pepper spray and running around naked sounds like he was into either bath salts, PCP, or smoking spice. JMO

ITA!

Imo, his actions are more inline with being strung out on some type of deadly illegal drugs.

I just dont see mental illiness coming on this quickly when his own uncle said he just saw him Saturday, and he was fine.

Did his uncle mention any mental illiness his nephew has? TIA!

From what I recall, the uncle said the suspect became aggravated about something.

As we have learned from other family mass murder cases the trigger can be totally trivial when they windup murdering multiple victims in their families.

Imo, he got ticked off about something that did not go his way, and may have been a heavy drug user.

Did he live there with his parents? If so, maybe his mom didn't want him around her daughter, and young grandbaby when they were staying there.

The trigger could have really been anything, and if in a drug fueled state it could have made him act out violently.

I think he may be back at the hospital now due to he may be going through serious drug withdrawals,and needs to be detoxed.

Jmho

Here's what I put together:

Thursday, August 28th:
*Arraignment Hearing-Postponed (@ am ET) – VA – Emily Marie Bernard Bivens (25), Cullen Micah Bivens (14 mos.) & Joan Bernard (62) (August 27, 2019, Pittsylvania) - *Matthew Thomas Bernard (19) (bro of Emily, son of Joan) arrested & charged (8/27/19) with 3 counts of 1st degree murder & 3 counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony. Held with bond. On suicide watch.
8/28/19 Update: Arraignment hearing was cancelled, as Bernard was hospitalized.

Thank you, Niner.

My exact words were:
"In too many cases where LE shoots at a perp when they are this close together, LE misses and hits the victim instead."

Obviously you lack fluency in the English language as this does no way imply that LE hits the victims more than the intended suspects. One case is one too many.

As an example of this type situation I refer you to this thread in Websleuths:
"MINEOLA, N.Y. (AP) — In what police are describing as a crime of opportunity, a wanted man with a criminal history dating nearly 15 years entered a front door that had been left open at a New York home near Hofstra University.

A short time later, the intruder, Dalton Smith, and a 21-year-old college junior, Andrea Rebello, were both dead. The two were killed early Friday by a Nassau County police officer who fired eight shots at the masked man, hitting him seven times but also accidentally hitting Rebello once in the head, Nassau County homicide squad Lt. John Azzata said Saturday."

NY - Hofstra student killed by police during break-in, Mineola

There is really no need to be snarky when replying to my honest question.

Thank you for your reply because I was totally sincere in wanting to know about all of the cases where it has occurred in too many cases.

Jmho

ITA!

Imo, his actions are more inline with being strung out on some type of deadly illegal drugs.

I just dont see mental illiness coming on this quickly when his own uncle said he just saw him Saturday, and he was fine.

Did his uncle mention any mental illiness his nephew has? TIA!

From what I recall, the uncle said the suspect became aggravated about something.

As we have learned from other family mass murder cases the trigger can be totally trivial when they windup murdering multiple victims in their families.

Imo, he got ticked off about something that did not go his way, and may have been a heavy drug user.

Did he live there with his parents? If so, maybe his mom didn't want him around her daughter, and young grandbaby when they were staying there.

The trigger could have really been anything, and if in a drug fueled state it could have made him act out violently.

I think he may be back at the hospital now due to he may be going through serious drug withdrawals,and needs to be detoxed.

Jmho
The cousin as well as another family member stated he was suffering from mental illness. The uncle stated he was having bad dreams last week and was seeing demons around his bed. The neighbor said the night before he was sitting in a field staring off and didn’t wave back to her which was out of character for him.
Drugs is always a possibility but there has been nothing reported that he was living a troubled life or was a troubled young man so i’m Going with an illness of some sort. Because it does seem to be an acute decline in mental status i’m suspicious of a brain disease that has caused the acute psychosis.

The cousin as well as another family member stated he was suffering from mental illness. The uncle stated he was having bad dreams last week and was seeing demons around his bed. The neighbor said the night before he was sitting in a field staring off and didn’t wave back to her which was out of character for him.
Drugs is always a possibility but there has been nothing reported that he was living a troubled life or was a troubled young man so i’m Going with an illness of some sort. Because it does seem to be an acute decline in mental status i’m suspicious of a brain disease that has caused the acute psychosis.

I must have missed this. Do you have a link where the cousin stated mental illness and Uncle said he saw demons? There is so much coming out, now. Thanks.

Thanks so much!
Here they are

“A relative exclusively told DailyMail.com that Matthew has been struggling with mental illness and 'came to a breaking point.' “
Family of 18-year-old who 'murdered his mother, nephew and sister' speak out | Daily Mail Online

“"I know that you all have forgiven Matthew because he wasn’t aware of what he done. Mental illness unfortunately is very alive and I’m sorry it had to strike our family so hard but I will always love you all, including Matthew with all of my heart because I know the real him!" family member Jenn Stallard wrote on Facebook.”
Court docs: Victims found with gunshot wounds to head, sledgehammer found with blood

“He expressed to his mother last week that he was having bad dreams, and that he'd seen demons around his bed," Bryant Bernard said about his nephew.”
Arraignment for triple murder suspect canceled due to hospitalization

“He was just a sweetheart,” she said in front of the door of her home in the hot sun. “He grew up in the church, always respectful. He just snapped.”

The evening before Tuesday’s killings, however, she saw something she thought was strange. Matthew Bernard was in a nearby field when she drove by at around 7:30 p.m. Monday.”
“He was just sitting there,” said the neighbor, who waved at Matthew. “I threw my hand up at him. He didn’t respond.”
“She never saw him carry a firearm, she added.”

“He would get after me for killing snakes,” she said.”

Neighbor: Bernards were good-hearted people

Last edited:
“Unfortunately he was suffering with mental illness and came to a breaking point,” Bernard’s cousin, Jenn Stallard, told DailyMail.com in a statement. “Matthew is my cousin and I will love him and be there for if I am ever able to because what the public has seen was not him at all and his family, we would never imagine this could have happened.”

“As this is all still extremely fresh for our family, I remain cautious for our words not to be twisted nor our family’s name, including Matthew’s, not to be turmoiled any more than it already has,” Stallard’s statement continued. “My main concern would just be pushing the fact that mental illness doesn’t have a type and awareness of help when needed.”

An online fundraiser set up to help Blake Bivens in the deaths of his wife, son and mother-in-law has eclipsed $20,000 as of midday Wednesday.
https://nypost.com/2019/08/28/naked...blake-bivens-family-is-mentally-ill-relative/

Unfortunately he was suffering with mental illness and came to a breaking point,” Bernard’s cousin, Jenn Stallard, told DailyMail.com in a statement. “Matthew is my cousin and I will love him and be there for if I am ever able to because what the public has seen was not him at all and his family, we would never imagine this could have happened.”

“As this is all still extremely fresh for our family, I remain cautious for our words not to be twisted nor our family’s name, including Matthew’s, not to be turmoiled any more than it already has,” Stallard’s statement continued. “My main concern would just be pushing the fact that mental illness doesn’t have a type and awareness of help when needed.”

An online fundraiser set up to help Blake Bivens in the deaths of his wife, son and mother-in-law has eclipsed $20,000 as of midday Wednesday.
https://nypost.com/2019/08/28/naked...blake-bivens-family-is-mentally-ill-relative/
Re bolded above. I'd like to know dx of his mental illness, how long he'd been suffering, and what treatment was being done for it.

What do y’all think Joan’s body being found in the family’s driveway? Did she notice him first and tried to get away and then he shot her? - or- Were all three shot at the same time and she was able to live long enough to run? - or- what are your thoughts? Emily and her son had gunshots to the head. I can’t find where Joan was shot? When did he go get the sledgehammer? With the rifle hidden in the woods, did he lie in wait for them? -or- did he think he would be able to get away and hideout in the woods?

When did he strip off his clothes?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back