Deceased/Not Found VA - Eric Smith, 42, Cedar Bluff, 8 Nov 2013

CEDAR BLUFF, Va. — At first Tazewell County investigators believed that a local man was missing, but now they believe he was murdered.
Eric Smith, a 41-year-old coal miner, left his home on Nov. 8, 2013, to hunt along West Hurt Buggy Road, according to family members. He reportedly took his rifle with him, but left his cellphone and cigarettes inside the house and his wallet in the truck.

Smith has not been seen since.

Now, nine years later, the mysterious disappearance has taken a new twist.

"It is being investigated as a potential homicide," Virginia State Police Special Agent Russell Edwards told the Daily Telegraph.

Smith's case is one of several unsolved murder and missing person cases being pursued with renewed vigor as part of a special initiative by the Virginia State Police.

It's really tragic. I'm married into the family now for 3 years. My husband is his first cousin, raised on the same farm more like brothers. For 9 years every lead, even when they found remains dressed in camo that everyone was sure was him has all turned out to be a disappointment. My husband told me something the other night that was odd though. When they all went to look in the mountains for him the next morning him and his brother discovered Eric's tree stand and there were leaves piled in the seat and it was obvious it had not been sat in the day before. Wherever he is he never made it to his treestand that day. Someone really cant vanish like that. Someone somewhere knows

It's really tragic. I'm married into the family now for 3 years. My husband is his first cousin, raised on the same farm more like brothers. For 9 years every lead, even when they found remains dressed in camo that everyone was sure was him has all turned out to be a disappointment. My husband told me something the other night that was odd though. When they all went to look in the mountains for him the next morning him and his brother discovered Eric's tree stand and there were leaves piled in the seat and it was obvious it had not been sat in the day before. Wherever he is he never made it to his treestand that day. Someone really cant vanish like that. Someone somewhere knows
Welcome to Websleuths!
I really relate to your belief that no one can vanish. I remember a point in my life where I baffled to my soul screaming "people dont just disapear!"
They are somewhere. So is Boeings 777 flight MH370.

CEDAR BLUFF, Va. — At first Tazewell County investigators believed that a local man was missing, but now they believe he was murdered.
Eric Smith, a 41-year-old coal miner, left his home on Nov. 8, 2013, to hunt along West Hurt Buggy Road, according to family members. He reportedly took his rifle with him, but left his cellphone and cigarettes inside the house and his wallet in the truck.

Smith has not been seen since.

Now, nine years later, the mysterious disappearance has taken a new twist.

"It is being investigated as a potential homicide," Virginia State Police Special Agent Russell Edwards told the Daily Telegraph.

Smith's case is one of several unsolved murder and missing person cases being pursued with renewed vigor as part of a special initiative by the Virginia State Police.
In the years following this case, this is the first that I can recall hearing 'murder' being mentioned officially.

Same here, I wonder what changed their mind? Sadly people that disappear into the woods are not always found even after extensive searching.
True. If they're leaning towards murder simply because he hasn't been found, then there may not be anything to it. If they have evidence that he was murdered, then they should say so.

So, it is confirmed that he body found in camouflage back in February is definitely not him. My first thought was that they know it was him and found evidence that indicated he was murdered i.e. bullet wound from a gun type that he did not have. Bu, if this is not Eric Smith, then that theory is moot. I have wondered since the beginning if wild animals-bears, wild cays etc. could have made finding Eric difficult or impossible. Does anyone know what type of predatory animals are in the area? Lastly, I know hunters can be very protective of their deer stands, bait piles etc. I wonder if he happened upon someone occupying his tree stand and the argument escalated ( although the statement that the tree stand had not been sat in for several days would cast doubt)? Finally, here in NJ I believe that fishing licenses must be displayed, no sure about hunting permits, but to have the hunting permit and leave the wallet doesn't seem far fetched to me.

So, it is confirmed that he body found in camouflage back in February is definitely not him. My first thought was that they know it was him and found evidence that indicated he was murdered i.e. bullet wound from a gun type that he did not have. Bu, if this is not Eric Smith, then that theory is moot. permits, but to have the hunting permit and leave the wallet doesn't seem far fetched to me.
Snipped. Do you have a link related to that body?

Same here, I wonder what changed their mind? Sadly people that disappear into the woods are not always found even after extensive searching.
And it isnt like there was anything to go on ..unless they found his gun someplace and he is not with it .

Snipped. Do you have a link related to that body?
No. I was trying to confirm what a previous poster stated about being married into the family and the location of that body seemingly being a dead end.- "My husband is his first cousin, raised on the same farm more like brothers. For 9 years every lead, even when they found remains dressed in camo that everyone was sure was him has all turned out to be a disappointment."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back