VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Social Media Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's worth a look but I do doubt he was on the Internet. I was married to a computer professional and worked in a science lab at the time, our colleagues were all on the net but none of our friends were on the real Internet yet, although they were on AOL which had its own little world. I think given J's likely transience that most likely he was not Internet savy in 1994/95.

It's worth a look but I do doubt he was on the Internet. I was married to a computer professional and worked in a science lab at the time, our colleagues were all on the net but none of our friends were on the real Internet yet, although they were on AOL which had its own little world. I think given J's likely transience that most likely he was not Internet savy in 1994/95.
I agree, however, he WAS an obsessed GD fan so if there were conversations going on about his band, he certainly appears to have been very resourceful, and it is a possibility. Needle in a haystack for sure, especially without a username or even last name.

Working the "looking for a ride to the GD concert" may be an angle to explore.

Jason/Jay was on all those 1-900 numbers on the phone. If he was able to access a computer, it wouldn't be a stretch he was on those boards.

I was thinking more along the lines of a free arts and music publication for the area GD would have been traveling from to get to the dead shows. In the classified ads. Sometimes archived info and pdfs show up online.

Does anyone know if Veer magazine is a free publication? Was it around in 1995? It comes out of Norfolk VA . Still checking.

ETA: it is a free music and arts magazine. Not sure if it was around in '95.

I have been lurking and following this case with interest, and I sincerely hope that Jason is identified soon.
Reading one of your posts about searching the surnames C..there is also a spelling variation of this surname, that is spelled C and also C.

I am not sure whether it helps or not, but I just thought that I would throw that out there

Just curious, where did the idea for this surname come from?

Just curious, where did the idea for this surname come from?

There was a response to a Craigslist posting by someone suggesting that the guy depicted in these new photos might be named Jason C. This prompted a few users to suggest a few variations/close matches of that surname, C being a couple of examples.

BTW, the 'C lead' was disproven :)

GD and the current lead being tracked has hit buzzfeed. The momentum is still gathering on this one.

If you know of Grateful Dead forums in 1994/95 you can try searching the archives on the Wayback Machine http://archive.org/web/

Not much goes back that far though. Even Geocities only goes back to 1996. The first My Space archive is Dec 1996. AOL is 1996 too so that may be as far back as the Wayback Machine goes. I don't know the history of these pages but those are some of the older ones I know about. http://web.archive.org/web/19961220154856/http://www.aol.com/

Also, it would be a big needle in a haystack unless he used his first name and had a picture of himself as his avatar. Just thought I'd throw it out there with the talk about old websites!

If you know of Grateful Dead forums in 1994/95 you can try searching the archives on the Wayback Machine http://archive.org/web/

Not much goes back that far though. Even Geocities only goes back to 1996. The first My Space archive is Dec 1996. AOL is 1996 too so that may be as far back as the Wayback Machine goes. I don't know the history of these pages but those are some of the older ones I know about. http://web.archive.org/web/19961220154856/http://www.aol.com/

Also, it would be a big needle in a haystack unless he used his first name and had a picture of himself as his avatar. Just thought I'd throw it out there with the talk about old websites!
What you want is The Well. It was a dial-up BBS and owned by the same guy who owned Rockport shoes. In 1994-1995 it was a central hub for fans of the Dead to connect.

http://www.well.com/

Edit: they also shared on their facebook page to their 160,000 followers. Find them on facebook searching for RelixMagazine if you're interested in sharing their post.

I am so happy they posted it to the FB page! There are lots of people commenting who were at that show or tagging friends to take a look!

So the GD FB page stated they just had a phone interview with WPDE Channel 15 in MB, SC. Let's see if that produces any leads!

Channel 15 just told me they're airing it tonight at 6pm. They do not have a live link but will send me the link of the recorded package so will share it with all of you as soon as they're done.

They interviewed me for like 90 seconds yesterday. I told them to contact NCMEC.

Did the roommates disprove the C surname? Just trying to keep up with all this great progress.

The poster named DrDMike did; he was the OP of the thread that the Craigslist posting was involved in. The roommates don't remember Jason's last name. It *sounds* like DrDMike has a lead that involves Jason's mother (it's unclear; read this thread for details), which means that his surname might be known behind the scenes. We are in a waiting game at the moment.

Channel 15 just told me they're airing it tonight at 6pm. They do not have a live link but will send me the link of the recorded package so will share it with all of you as soon as they're done.

They interviewed me for like 90 seconds yesterday. I told them to contact NCMEC.

That is AWESOME!! I'm so excited to see all this progress :)

There was a response to a Craigslist posting by someone suggesting that the guy depicted in these new photos might be named Jason C. This prompted a few users to suggest a few variations/close matches of that surname, C being a couple of examples.

BTW, the 'C lead' was disproven :)

The C lead was not disproven. Until (and possibly after) GD is positively identified, there is a mother missing a son named Jay C unless the poster was a troll.

For those interested in the person's comments from a while back on another board regarding picking up hitchikers possibly being 2 carolines and 1 jason...i went back to that board to copy and paste but that thread has since been deleted by the mods. (unless i'm crazy).

EDIT: Nevermind the thread wasn't deleted but I still can't find the posts about it. it's on phantasytour website somewhere. Oh well. I'll look more.

Edit 2: Sorry for all the edits. I fond a copy-past version of what the guy said and the posts had not migrated from an old archive and people running the phantasytour boards are trying to contact the OP

"quote from the guy who thinks he picked up jason and the carolines:

"Just wondering... On that tour I picked up three kids for a few shows. They concluded at RFK. I was mugged and lost my wallet. I had nothing at that point so I had to leave. Those kids all jumped out of the car to go panhandle close to the venue before the show, I had to park far away. I had no way to find them and left with all of their belongings (a couple of backpacks) in my car. I'm thinking the girls names were both Caroline. They were trying to get off tour cause they wanted to clean up. The dude in the first pic looks like the kid. I was a junkie too. Thats all I remember. "

then

"I have no way of knowing anything about the situation 100%. I am pretty sure the girls were Caroline. **** was not fun back then. A whole lot of using and a lot of using each other. I remember going through there backpacks a while later and really dont remember anything about them that stood out. Best of luck in the search... I wish I could be of some help. If need be OP you are welcome to pm me! "

also some interesting old archived stuff from pretty old websleuths posts here:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-218708.html

For those interested in the person's comments from a while back on another board regarding picking up hitchikers possibly being 2 carolines and 1 jason...i went back to that board to copy and paste but that thread has since been deleted by the mods. (unless i'm crazy).

EDIT: Nevermind the thread wasn't deleted but I still can't find the posts about it. it's on phantasytour website somewhere. Oh well. I'll look more.

Edit 2: Sorry for all the edits. I fond a copy-past version of what the guy said and the posts had not migrated from an old archive and people running the phantasytour boards are trying to contact the OP

"quote from the guy who thinks he picked up jason and the carolines:

"Just wondering... On that tour I picked up three kids for a few shows. They concluded at RFK. I was mugged and lost my wallet. I had nothing at that point so I had to leave. Those kids all jumped out of the car to go panhandle close to the venue before the show, I had to park far away. I had no way to find them and left with all of their belongings (a couple of backpacks) in my car. I'm thinking the girls names were both Caroline. They were trying to get off tour cause they wanted to clean up. The dude in the first pic looks like the kid. I was a junkie too. Thats all I remember. "

then

"I have no way of knowing anything about the situation 100%. I am pretty sure the girls were Caroline. **** was not fun back then. A whole lot of using and a lot of using each other. I remember going through there backpacks a while later and really dont remember anything about them that stood out. Best of luck in the search... I wish I could be of some help. If need be OP you are welcome to pm me! "

also some interesting old archived stuff from pretty old websleuths posts here:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-218708.html

well that would explain grateful does lack of personal belongings when he was found. if it were true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member