VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Social Media Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to wrap my head around someone waiting twenty years to report someone missing. I am sure there are plenty of reasons.

There are plenty of reasons.. It's very possible she did try filing a report but LE refused. Times were different back then, people were allowed to walk away. LE did not take MP reports for adults; some kids too. If they did take a report; it's possible it was purged.

Have to say that my heart really sunk when I saw the 2 articles that came out; one in Myrtle Beach another in Champaign IL. Many people here have worked this case for many years with no luck; greymetal told me she's followed it for 5 years. There have been many articles written about GDF; there is also the FB page as well as the event. SSA & myself have an album for him on our page Never Forget Me; yet the right person was not hit with any of them. It is possible they saw one; but did not connect it due to the newer recon. It's hard to say.

I have supported the FB page & event; have sent many people there as well. To say I was heart broken that greymetal did not get a shout in either article is putting it mildly. greymetal was able to do what none of us before her have done; hit that right person that thinks GDF looks like his friend!

It's been a heck of a few weeks here at WS since meeting greymetal! I've been spending a lot of time talking to her; she is a class act! I'm very proud to call her a friend! I'm also very proud of everyone at WS for banding together to try to help greymetal out with trying to get the word out about Jason. Thank you to the people that knew him that came to post with us at WS!

I do not see that this was posted; greymetal wrote this the other night (day for her)...

It's time to say thank you. (self.gratefuldoe) submitted 3 days ago * by greymetal
~Snipped
Hey readers :)

I've been getting a lot of messages from you all. Users from here, Imgur, WS, and PT have been contacting me all over the place to talk about recent media articles. A lot of you seem frustrated, especially when there has been NO mention of any of these communities; Particularly, WebSleuths, who have many dedicated members who have been actively working on this case for years. Furthermore, the wonderful Never Forget Me page has included information about Grateful Doe forever (thank you, doll, you are an angel). I would have loved to have seen these communities receive some sort of recognition for the hard work, dedication and love they have put into this case. But, unfortunately, it can't always be that way.

So, I have one thing to say.

Who needs them?

We all have one another. In the past 2 weeks or so, everyone, from all of these communities, has bonded together with one common goal; To identify Jason, and to identify the Grateful Doe. In this time, I have seen some of the most beautiful displays of true humanity, and empathy. I have been blown away by the relationships that have been forged over all of these communities; and I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say, I have made some lifelong friends in the past two weeks.

Articles -
Champaign ties may help solve 'Grateful Doe' cold case
Lindsey Gordon
Aubrey Morse
01/10/2015 06:42 PM

'Grateful Doe' may have ties to Myrtle Beach
by Courtney Griffin
Posted: 2 hrs, 43 mins ago

Hi all :)

Brand new member, first time poster! Please let me know if I do something wrong, or if the information I am provided may be suited to somewhere better on these forums. I have been crazy about this case for a long time. The first time I read about it, it stuck with me, and for some reason my interest has jumped like crazy lately. I have been reading through missing persons for all over the world (I will post a few that I know have not been excluded in the thread dedicated to that), but mainly, I have been working towards getting his photo and information out there on the internet as much as possible.

How did I do this? Reddit. When I searched Reddit, there were one to two posts about GD over the whole site. These two were on subs dedicated to The Grateful Dead, and Unsolved Mysteries. So I broadened where I posted. Below, I have supplied where I have posted information about GD, and links if you would like to read (EDIT: I have taken out the links, I was unaware that I was unable to post them! But if you go to these subs, you should be able to find them very easy :) ):

/r/music:

/r/grateful_dead:

/r/washingtondc (In this thread, I was able to speak to somebody who was at the concert. Unfortunately, he had no information)

/r/virginia:

/r/gratefuldead (Some very helpful people, and great discussions here):

I have also gone and started posting his photo and information to Imgur. The way I see it, the importance now is getting his information out there for people who may recognise him. No matter if he was homeless, or how isolated he may have been, maybe there is a teacher, a schoolfriend, a doctor, dentist, hairdresser or religious leader who is able to say.. "I know him! I haven't seen him in a long time!".

Now, another point of interest for me (and I am unsure whether or not he has been covered, but I have not read it here) is the Unidentified Male #2 (Grateful Dead Fan):

http://unsolvedgratefuldeadfans.homestead.com/UnidentifiedMale2.html

UID Male #2 was found by the side of the road on July 20th of 1995 in Atlanta, Georgia after a Grateful Dead concert. He had been hit by a car. He was hospitalised for a year, and died on the 24th of June, 1996.

Now, two UID males, around the same age, in the vicinity of GD concerts.. That may be coincidental. What doesn't seem coincidental to me are the tattoos of both of the males. GD's star, and UID male #2's 'Virgo' tattoo look to be about the same age, and done by an unqualified artist (I checked with a tattoo artist friend of mine). Is it possible, that these two males were hanging out together? It is impossible to say where UID male #2 was heading, as he was close to the venue of the concert.

But what if they were together? It was only a month between the accidents - What is UID male #2 did not even realise that GD was missing. Maybe, he just got lost. Maybe he thought he just wanted to go home. I think it is certainly something to think about. Has there been any research conducted into UID male #2? I'd be interested in reading it.

The fact that people are blamed and criticized for not reporting someone missing only adds to the stigma and shame which will continue to discourage them from doing so. It's very important to remember that the families of victims are often victims, too.

Myrtle Beach police investigate missing person case, possible link to “Grateful Doe”

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/20...each-police-investigate.html?sp=/99/209/&rh=1

On Tuesday, a report was filed by a 63-year-old woman that her son, Jason Callahan, who would be 38, has not been seen or heard from since June of 1995, police said.

“At that time he left to follow the band Grateful Dead,” Crosby said Wednesday. “The investigation began as a result of information obtained from the ‘Grateful Doe’ social media efforts. The Myrtle Beach Police Department is working with other agencies to determine if Jason Callahan is ‘Grateful Doe’ by collecting DNA samples which have been sent off for evaluation.”

In the report, Callahan is described as being a white male with wavy blonde hair and brown eyes. He was between 5 feet 10 inches tall to 6 feet tall and weighed about 160 pounds.

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/20...vestigate.html?sp=/99/209/&rh=1#storylink=cpy

May I ask what type of post are you looking to do? We know that the Jason from SC that was found is the Illinois Jay/Jason. It very well could take 3+ months before anyone knows anything like Cali's case. The sisters DNA was rushed to UNT 9/29; it was finally showing on NamUs as processed yesterday. The one on one comparison has not been finished; but Cali's case is a murder investigation. It did not take this long for Helen Green to be compared to Lori Kennedy (FLEK) nor to Cali nor did it take as long for Linette Miller's DNA to be processed/ compared to Cali (2 months)...

Please remember that this is not easy for the families. I worked very closely with Linette's sister; it was a nightmare of stress; to add to it; there was 2 FB pages claiming the match. Nothing is final until the DNA says so. I know there are 2 articles out there; I have no clue how this Jason's mom feels about any of it. I had reached out on social media but she had not answered my PM. As an advocate, my main concern is always for the family as they process this new nightmare of stressing if their child is deceased.

All I was saying was to continue to get the word out about the case. Maybe someone else will recognize him. I meant no disrespect. Certainly not to the family!

All I was saying was to continue to get the word out about the case. Maybe someone else will recognize him. I meant no disrespect. Certainly not to the family!

I'm not sure how necessary that is anymore. Surely the woman who filed a missing person's report yesterday would have been shown the photos of Grateful Doe. The missing person's report is probably just a formality at this point, so that a DNA verification can be made. I feel pretty sure that Jason Doe is going home.

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=1149127#.VLbFbsu9KSM

According to Myrtle Beach police, the department is investigating to see if a missing person identified as Jason Callahan could be Grateful Doe.

Police say Callahan has not been seen or heard from since June 1995 and, at that time, he left to follow the band Grateful Dead.

The Myrtle Beach Police Department is working with other agencies to determine if Jason Callahan is Grateful Doe by collecting DNA samples, which have been sent off for evaluation.

The fact that people are blamed and criticized for not reporting someone missing only adds to the stigma and shame which will continue to discourage them from doing so. It's very important to remember that the families of victims are often victims, too.

And it is difficult to even prove that you did try to report if the police refuse to take the report. Just picture the average citizen with few resources (either in knowledge or financial clout) trying to persuade a police officer/detective to do something that will take time and paperwork. Modern police stations can be extremely intimidating as it is. Most people don't expect their family members to go missing. Imagine the shock, fear, and confusion that accompanies such an event.

What some of us know about this mom and what she went through in her life I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Consider living a life so filled with tragedy that no news about your loved one feels like good news. That's the reality of what we're dealing with here. So please don't judge before you've walked a mile in her shoes.

My heart breaks for this mother. Having confirmation that Jason Callahan (whose name I will type out each and every time as he's been deprived of his identity in death) is in fact Grateful Doe is indeed closure...but it's also confirmation that she has lost her child. This woman has endured so much loss, it seems. I hope that she can find some peace.

What some of us know about this mom and what she went through in her life I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Consider living a life so filled with tragedy that no news about your loved one feels like good news. That's the reality of what we're dealing with here. So please don't judge before you've walked a mile in her shoes.

Very well said

Sorry wasn't implying you mean disrespect to the family.
Maybe someone will recognize GDF or Jason C?

And it is difficult to even prove that you did try to report if the police refuse to take the report. Just picture the average citizen with few resources (either in knowledge or financial clout) trying to persuade a police officer/detective to do something that will take time and paperwork. Modern police stations can be extremely intimidating as it is. Most people don't expect their family members to go missing. Imagine the shock, fear, and confusion that accompanies such an event.

DaisyTrail has been trying to file a report for her daughter since August 2013. She has also been on her own trying to get the word out about her daughter. Hopefully her NamUs profile will go online in the next week.

Trying to wrap my head around someone waiting twenty years to report someone missing. I am sure there are plenty of reasons.

I can see how this could have played out.

In 1995, cell phones weren't a standard. If Someone left to go follow a band around the country and didn't have a cell phone, it could be hard to keep track of them. Mom could have heard from him every few weeks or months by a friends phone, or a pay phone, a letter, or by him dropping in if he was in town. Otherwise, how could you really keep tabs on anyone?

Furthermore, if she tried to report him missing they may not have taken it seriously because he left on his own free will and there was no evidence of a crime.

She may not have tried to report him missing, thinking she had no information. If she hadn't had contact with him for a while, could she even point to an area of the country where he might even be, other than saying he followed the GD on tour? What if he missed a ride or couldn't get to the next stop. There would be no telling where he could be at a particular time, just where he was when she last talked to him, which could have been months past.

I know we sometimes can't imagine not having tabs on everyone in this day and age but it may have been significantly harder 20 years ago.

Also, my local radio station (105.9 The X in Pittsburgh) picked up this story today! They have it all over facebook sharing it.

I don't know how I feel about all this... I get the hinkey jeebies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member