VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The customer I thought was going to bail on me for tomorrow didn't, so I won't be able to go. Next possible date is Friday, Feb 7. That day I might be able to go to Emporia, Lawrenceville, and Richmond.

Let's make a list of the places we want to go.

1) Brunswick HS

Where else? I'll ask over on the Grateful Doe FB page, too.

If it's possible to head west on Route 58 past the accident site at or around the same time as when the accident occurred (I believe around 2 p.m. EST...can't find this info to be sure, though) that couldn't hurt. I know it's been almost 19 years, but sometimes re-creating the scene can bring new insights...

Also, if you are feeling up for it, you could try showing both his composites to people in gas stations and other public places. I'm curious how many people even remember seeing it before. I feel this case hasn't gotten a ton of publicity, and there could be people out there who knew him or saw something before he died but haven't even heard about the case.

Thank you for being willing to do this! Even if nothing comes of it, this is the kind of effort that will one day solve the case.

I've looked through everyone who is listed in this site http://www.dead.net/show/june-24-1995 as an atendee on the June 24th show and found a user who says in her profile that her name is Caroline. Can I put the link to her profile here?

I contacted that Caroline a few years back. She knew nothing about this matter.

If it's possible to head west on Route 58 past the accident site at or around the same time as when the accident occurred (I believe around 2 p.m. EST...can't find this info to be sure, though) that couldn't hurt. I know it's been almost 19 years, but sometimes re-creating the scene can bring new insights...

Also, if you are feeling up for it, you could try showing both his composites to people in gas stations and other public places. I'm curious how many people even remember seeing it before. I feel this case hasn't gotten a ton of publicity, and there could be people out there who knew him or saw something before he died but haven't even heard about the case.

Thank you for being willing to do this! Even if nothing comes of it, this is the kind of effort that will one day solve the case.

I've always wondered about finding the accident scene and going over it with a metal detector. Probably like a needle in a hay stack (finding the exact scene AND hoping to find something else....).

Odd that yours would be the last post when I came here to say, I am at the scene right now. I've been here for about 20 min, going back and forth with my dash cam. I got here around 1:50 or so. I'm sitting at the corner of 605 and 58 right now.

I'll post videos some point this week - it may be Wednesday or later; the last day of any given month is a monster for work, and 04/01 is a monster day for us. I'm pretty caught up but do have quite a bit to do.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1945&pictureid=17195
picture.php

Could Jason Grateful Doe be Shawn Hale.
Comparing their pictures seems he has some common features. The eyes. The little bit of a crooked nose and his lips.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/4290dmca.html
Shawn Hale
Missing since November 4, 1994 from Apple Valley, San Bernardino County, California
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: May 6, 1973
Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0"; 165 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Sandy blond hair; hazel eyes. Mustache and goatee.
Dentals: Not available.
Fingerprints: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Shawn was last seen on November 4, 1994 in the Apple Valley, CA area.
His family has not seen nor heard from him since.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7546/0
Noticed that NamUs site has him listed as 19. Could this be the last time he had been home (SEEN) and Last Heard from 1994. Cause in 1994 he was 21 years old. Was he known to move around From 1992 19yrs old till 21yrs. Cause that could mean he took up following the dead. The Grateful Dead did have tour dates in Los Angeles, California at The LA Sports Arena Dec 15, Dec 16. Dec 18 Dec 19. Is it possible he had just not talked to family for a while and decided to follow the grateful dead tour from LA in Dec. However if Grateful Doe was continuing to follow the tour, when he got in the car headed to SC, he was going the wrong way.

Shawn's Fingerprints are available and it says "initial inquiry underway" for his DNA which is good.Hope they can get some DNA for Shawn too. I believe I read somewhere Shawn's mom has passed away since he went missing. He does have an older brother.

Jason Grateful Doe at https://identifyus.org/cases/6095 has not yet ruled out Shawn.
Fingerprints, Dental and DNA are available for Jason Grateful Doe.

Mystic, you might want to talk to Rainwater. She's been in contact with Shawn's family for quite a while now. She mentioned Shawn earlier in this thread, too. She can probably give you some good info.

A family member of Shawn Hale's contacted me a week or so ago. Shawn was definitely a GD fan.

They should think about donating some DNA for Shawn Hale.

Did another morph of Doe and Hale. I think his eyes nose and lips in the reconstruction of Doe matches a lot to the facial features of Shawn.

picture.php

The only thing I see that might be off is the teeth...:)

Just to ask a really silly question...How disfigured where the victims after the accident? I am sure someone else has mentioned this, but could Jason actually be the driver and the passenger long ago claimed as the driver? A simple mix up? Does any one know if the driver and Jason resemble one another? Thanks!

Just to ask a really silly question...How disfigured where the victims after the accident? I am sure someone else has mentioned this, but could Jason actually be the driver and the passenger long ago claimed as the driver? A simple mix up? Does any one know if the driver and Jason resemble one another? Thanks!

Says his remains were not recognizable. the picture of Doe is of a digital reconstruction. Both victims were ejected from the car when it hit a tree. I assume his head was pretty damaged, I assume his head and face were the first things to go through the windshield. So its not going to be an exact match to the missing persons picture. But he does seem to match up on a lot of Hales features.

Wonder if Hales Family is working on submitting DNA. However, couldn't the two be matched by fingerprints? Both seem to have that information on file.

And I'm not sure about the drivers looks. He was identified by his parents. Story goes that the driver was headed from Fairfax to his mothers in SC. He stopped at his dads place in Gloucester, VA. He wasn't home and when he called his mother to tell her he was on his way, he didn't mention the Hitch-hiker to her. Though a young man might not be like HEY MA Got a hitchhiker in the car. A neighbor of the father however thought they recalled him having another young man with him when he stopped at his dads. He was traveling from his Fiance's Place. They had just shared sometime in NY together. So I am guessing that driver was not at the Dead Show.

Was wondering if the Grateful Dead Ticket Sales for the event at RFK Stadium have been cross checked with any Jason's or even a Shawn Hale?

On another case I was working on is Jennifer Wilmer. http://unsolvedgratefuldeadfans.homestead.com/MissingFans.html She was into the Grateful Dead too. They have some of her envelopes up on the grateful dead website. http://www.gdao.org/solr-search/results/?solrq=wilmer&solrfacet=&submit_search.x=0&submit_search.y=0

Is this how you bought your tickets at the time? Is this the only way to get tickets? Could these records be accessed? I have never been to a dead show so I don't know how the tickets purchases went back then. There are no decorated envelopes for Shawn Hale, I did look. And the only two Jason's who had envelopes for the RFK show in DC seem to still be a live and well. I found them on facebook.

This is an image of a man dancing at a concert in 95. Not the RFK show I think it was out west. But I thought he resembled Jason Doe and Shawn hale a little bit. http://www.gdao.org/items/show/826376 Probably not but just thought I'd share.

One thing that makes me hesitate is that Shawn is right at or just over 6" and JD is listed as 5'6" to 5' 9"

Seriously, send a PM to Rainwater, she knows a lot about Shawn.

Mystic; Jason Doe's tickets were sold as part of blocks of tickets purchased by a man who then turned around and re-sold them. When the police interivewed him, he did not recall Jason Doe or much about anyone to whom he sold tickets.

I've been in touch with a UK missing person site over the last two weeks. They have agreed to pass on Jason Doe to the investigators in charge of Lee Buckle's case. Yes, Lee is "too tall." However, we don't know how tall Jason really was as his height has changed and grown over the years (I've seen reports from 5'6 to 5'10) and Lee's stats about his height could be misreported.

https://www.missingpeople.org.uk/leebuckle

Applying your own statement (the first one quoted) to the one below it.

One thing that makes me hesitate is that Shawn is right at or just over 6" and JD is listed as 5'6" to 5' 9"

Seriously, send a PM to Rainwater, she knows a lot about Shawn.

Sounds to me that doe's body was pretty damaged and if he broke his spine or neck that could cause him to measure smaller. But the same goes with Shawn Hale. His height may have been, ABOUT 6foot. Shawn is on the NamUS site, he is listed as 19 when last seen Nov 4 1994. He was born May 6 1973. This makes him 21 at the age of his disappearance. This is an Error in reporting or an error in data entry. Fact is that Shawn Hales case has one Error so maybe there are more. Like his height. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7546/0/

The Note from Caroline T and Caroline O. I read that they called the number and it lead to nothing. My question is when did they start using area code dialing in Virginia's towns. I remember being in a town north of Philadelphia in 1999 when the area code dialing had started there. It was probably a year or so earlier in the Chicago area. So in 1996 I'm guessing that they didn't need the area code in the town where Caroline T and O met Jason. My thought is that Caroline T was from the area in which they met. Clues his tickets that were with the note. RFK Stadium in Washington DC. When I went to Washington DC, We stayed in Alexandria, VA. Could this 914-**** number be from one of these towns just over the border. Michael the driver of the van Doe was in, was coming from Fairfax VA but I do not think Doe was picked up in Fairfax. Its more probable that he got picked up along 95 Somewhere around or after Springfield VA, where 495 and 95 meet. I was surprises to hear the phone number lead to a dead end. Could the number have been a BEEPER number? Remember in the early 90s when those were all the rage?

We started using area codes in VA long before 1996; I know we had 804 and 703 by then, I can't remember if we had 540 or not. There are at least two more now.

The police theorized that the girls gave him a fake number. I did that a lot when I was young and dating, too. It was just easier to give a fake than say "I'd rather not give you my #."

Have you visited the threads dedicated to the phone number?

I agree that for '96, 914 sounds more like a pager or cell phone exchange. "1" and "0" as middle numbers used to be reserved for area codes back when we rode our dinosaurs to school.

We started using area codes in VA long before 1996; I know we had 804 and 703 by then, I can't remember if we had 540 or not. There are at least two more now.

The police theorized that the girls gave him a fake number. I did that a lot when I was young and dating, too. It was just easier to give a fake than say "I'd rather not give you my #."

Have you visited the threads dedicated to the phone number?

I agree that for '96, 914 sounds more like a pager or cell phone exchange. "1" and "0" as middle numbers used to be reserved for area codes back when we rode our dinosaurs to school.

Of course you had area codes so people out side your area code could call. What I was asking was when in the VA area did you have to start dialing that area code inside your own area code, to call your neighbor or your neighborhood pizza joint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member