VA - Herndon, Joseph Ryan shot, Christine Banfield stabbed, both deceased, in home - Feb 2023

helpfulcharlie

Probably not the real Chuck Finley
Reaction score
I feel like this case should, and probably will, get more attention due to its unusual circumstances.

Happened on Friday February 24 2023, very few updates since the initial reports.

Banfield lived in the home with her husband. Ryan did not live there but was known to all parties in the home. Husband was the shooter of Ryan, claims Ryan stabbed Banfield. Au pair and 4-year-old were in another part of the home when it happened. It seems like there might be more to the story, LE seems to be taking a long time to "verify" aspects of the narrative.

Husband tells 911 he shot man stabbing wife, as Fairfax Co. police investigation continues - WTOP News

The Fairfax County Police Department News Wordpress says that the 911 caller said he shot an "unknown" man who entered his home and stabbed a woman.

Fairfax County Police Department News - Official News and Information from the Fairfax County Police Department
I feel like this case should, and probably will, get more attention due to its unusual circumstances.

Happened on Friday February 24 2023, very few updates since the initial reports.

Banfield lived in the home with her husband. Ryan did not live there but was known to all parties in the home. Husband was the shooter of Ryan, claims Ryan stabbed Banfield. Au pair and 4-year-old were in another part of the home when it happened. It seems like there might be more to the story, LE seems to be taking a long time to "verify" aspects of the narrative.

Husband tells 911 he shot man stabbing wife, as Fairfax Co. police investigation continues - WTOP News

Per FOX 5 and the FCPD update video, the police chief on Feb 24 said "We are characterizing the husband and the au pair for now as present and involved." "We're working to determine exactly what that mean." "He is not charged or accused." The husband was treated in a local hospital with a minor injury (claimed) to his leg.

Christine was found in "an upstairs bedroom."

The 911 caller called from the au pairs cell phone - called without speaking around 8 am, hung up, called again 13 minutes later then passed the phone to the husband.

The police chief said there was "No forced entry." "This is not a home invasion." "I don't know exactly what the nature of his presence in the home is all about just yet." "We don't think he is necessarily a stranger but we are still working to determine more facts before we describe him." They do not know if Joseph Nathan Ryan had ever been to the home before. "We have to sort out the exact nature of Joseph Ryan's presence inside the home."

"We gave the husband an opportunity to speak to police about the death of his wife and he declined."

Fox 5: 2 dead after shooting, stabbing inside Fairfax County home: police

Fairfax County Police Department update briefing: Watch as Chief Davis provides an update at the scene

We have seen cases that happened as described here and cases that were made to look like rescue/defense situations. I would expect that if Mr Ryan done this stabbing then forensics would help to show that.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

You might want to reach out to a mod about becoming a verified insider so your posts won't require a media link. I think that is the rule here. My condolences on your loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE

We have invited FriendofJoe to apply for Verification and will post on thread once verification is complete.

Posts containing inside information have been removed but will be reinstated upon approval as a Verified member.

Any updates to share? It's been three weeks since any news articles have come out.

WUSA9: Herndon double homicide: Husband tells 911 dispatchers that he shot man who stabbed his wife
- "the officer has elected not to speak to fairfax county detectives"
- "it does not appear Ryan forced his way in"
- "officers believe he knew the family"

In this video, I can't make out what the reporter is asking at 14:40 - can anyone else? Chief Davis's response is "I don't know, I'd certainly like to ask him that."

SNIPPED:
Chief Davis also stated that Christine Banfield’s husband has declined to speak to police about what happened. However, an au pair who was also in the house when this happened, has spoken to the police. Police also stated that at this point, no one is facing charges. They are still processing the scene, but say it’s not clear right now if they will need to remove anything from the house for the investigation.

“I think the person or persons responsible for this are already known to us, we just have to sort out who was responsible for what and we have to sort out the exact nature of Mr. Ryan’s presence in the home and we’re sorting through all that right now,” Chief Davis explained.

This is an open and ongoing investigation. Police said they don’t believe Ryan forced his way into the home, but they also don’t believe he “was necessarily a stranger.” They were still working to determine that.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back