VA VA - Jessica Hatch, 12, murdered, Richmond, 5 February 1984

I lived two blocks away from Jessica. I remember her disappearance. I was 16 years old. I also remember Gary. He prowled around my house as well. He hung out with a guy named Emmit who called, came by, and knocked on my door many times. I was very clear his advances were not wanted. He later was found on my front porch peaking in my window by my older sister’s boyfriend and scared off. My father Later threatened To call the police if he called again. After Jessica disappeared I never saw him again. I always wondered if the cops looked into him as well. I would love to know who the suspects were that the cops were looking at besides Gary. I was young and didn’t really understand predatory behavior and I don’t know anything about this guy. I just knew he and Gary made me uneasy.

Have you reported this to Hanover PD? If so, what, if anything, did they tell you?

I don’t know if you still live here, but I’m also curious what the MD area was like at the time. I live here now and provided some insight above, but I know it was different back then.

I regret to report that Jessie's mother, Ellen, passed away (in December 2018) with no justice and no answers. :(

Oh how heartbreaking is there any other family left?

Do you know of anyone that can provide any more insight? I know it’s probably a long shot since it’s been so many years, but I’m local and was interested in maybe chatting with someone that’s still around.

Well I'm Jessie's cousin, and her uncle and brother are still around, my sister too, in VA, and an aunt and cousin are in TX. I am in the process of compiling everything I can find into a chronology on my blog, I've compiled all links, and will be back-filling the blog stories as I am able. Fair Warning: the site is very pink, for Jessie's Valentine birthday. ♥ Also it's not just a blog, I do ancestry consulting and curate merch there too as a new mechanism for getting her story out - it's literally attached to every single product in my store, but here's the direct link to Jessie's story, visitors/sharers encouraged!

#J4JforJessie!
SMF on...
Thanks v/r ツ SMF

I lived two blocks away from Jessica. I remember her disappearance. I was 16 years old. I also remember Gary. He prowled around my house as well. He hung out with a guy named Emmit who called, came by, and knocked on my door many times. I was very clear his advances were not wanted. He later was found on my front porch peaking in my window by my older sister’s boyfriend and scared off. My father Later threatened To call the police if he called again. After Jessica disappeared I never saw him again. I always wondered if the cops looked into him as well. I would love to know who the suspects were that the cops were looking at besides Gary. I was young and didn’t really understand predatory behavior and I don’t know anything about this guy. I just knew he and Gary made me uneasy.
Gary lived in a 2nd floor apartment on Tilden St. across from St. Gertrude's. I filled in as a newspaper delivery girl for my friend Dee. He was on her route. I was always afraid to go to his door, so i would throw his paper up the stairs.

I see several make mention of Gary Jay Beattie. I see the following cases listed in Richmond City Circuit Court:

10-20-1988 Make indecent prop
9-19-1988 Peep in window
10-16-1991 Trespassing
10-14-1992 Unlawful entry
10-13-1992 Stat. burglary
11-10-1998 Peeping tom

Then another case in Richmond-John Marshall Criminal General District Court:

1-5-2017 Text and drive

Same birthday on the last case, so I'd say it's the same guy. At that time it listed him as living in Henrico, Virginia. FastPeopleSearch says he's currently back in Richmond (but these sites are sometimes out of date).

There are other local courts and I haven't checked any of their records.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.
Back