VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #3

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by KayElJay, Sep 2, 2016.

1. 1&2&3

1&2&3 Well-Known Member

IMO nothing points to a live Katelin, sharing an apt. Working a job, and staying mum on the subject.

The staging of her get away, suitcase found looking like it was pitched out of the car, stepfathers story that later proved to be incorrect, Take each piece of the story and it just doesn’t fit. JMO of course,

Hoosier952, rosie_lee, kai and 7 others like this.
  2. cocomod

cocomod Well-Known Member

I have always suspected the creepy step-father. Poly... Cellphone...

IMHO, if he wasn't guilty, he would provide his password to his cell phone. I wonder if he has pictures of her on it.

I wish that there was a super savy tech hack that would use their gift to help police instead of putting malicious virus out there.

3. Bethsch68

Bethsch68 New Member

Hi, new to Websleuths, but I like to follow missing persons’ cases. One that has me intrigued is the Katelyn Akens. It’s frustrating to me because all signs point to the former stepdad, yet 1. What’s the motive and 2. Why hasn’t there been an arrest?

Your thoughts?

4. Laughing

Laughing Rarely Speechless

5. drjones

drjones On Time Out

3 years gone.

barely a mention this year.

<modsnip: removed accusations against individual who has not been officially named by LE as POI or suspect>

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2019
  6. silversurvivor

silversurvivor Active Member

bumping

kai, Linskid and Mountaingazer like this.
  7. drjones

drjones On Time Out

this person has been officially named as a person of interest in this case, it is covered in an earlier thread on here (or maybe this one? idk)

i personally spoke with the police and confirmed this and provided tricia with a screenshot of the conversation which she said was acceptable and was then posted on one of these threads.

there is absolutely officially a person of interest in katelin's disappearance.

8. drjones

drjones On Time Out

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/poi-jpg.109054/

and just seeing this guidance from sillybilly;

"ETA: And as someone suggested upthread (and because the name is not included in drjones query or the Sheriff's response) probably best we use either step-dad, SD or real initials, rather than a full name."

dont think i ever saw the above reply, i was told it was ok to use his name but i guess we are limited to SD or JRB, not sure why since his full name is now public and the police have said this person is a person of interest?

all good tho, initials for now. cheers.

amanda4374, MKZoo and Legally Bland like this.
  9. Legally Bland

Legally Bland Well-Known Member

Just bumping this for drjones.

ETA: I see drjones found it quicker than I did.

MKZoo and drjones like this.
  10. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

This case really frustrates me. It reminds me too much of the cold cases we see on Investigation ID. And 20 or 30 yrs later a group of investigators comes together, reads the old notes, and they end up finding an obvious suspect that was overlooked or cleared mistakenly.

I saw one recently where a 14 yr old girl was found dead, in the woods, in a teen hang out area. She was found by a man and his wife and child, who were on a day hike.

And so the detectives went through a long list of potential suspects--her stepfather, her boyfriend, her uncle, her weird neighbor, and they were all cleared. Case went cold.

Twenty years later a young man comes forward, and tells LE that he thinks his stepfather killed a young girl 2o years earlier. And it turns out that the family that 'found' her that was his family. And his stepfather actually killed her, then forced his wife and stepson, who was only about 9 or 10, to go on a hike. He didnt tell then why but it was a weird, odd day, the kid said.

Anyway, the frustrating part, and the reason I am mentioning it here, is that when detectives looked into the kid's stepdad, all kinds of obvious connections came up for the crime. He was a neighbor of the victim, and he knew her and she had actually complained about him harassing her previously at a party. Just weeks before.

And he was a pot dealer and knew all the teens and went to their parties. And he was known to hang out at the place where her body was found because he smoked pot there with the kids he sold it to.

So this is the guy that called cops to the body. And they never figured out the connections he had to the victim and her friends and to the body dump site?

It makes me wonder, in cases like Katelin's---are they really looking at the stepdad closely and would they know if he had incriminating stuff going on?

StarEyes, anya, amanda4374 and 5 others like this.
  11. amanda4374

amanda4374 Member

I would love to see some more pressure applied in this case from LO...not sure what they could do and I'm not trying to pick on them, I know they are doing the best they possibly can given the circumstances, but it would be awful for this to remain unsolved. It feels so within reach.

StarEyes, anya, drjones and 2 others like this.
  12. Millablanca

Millablanca New Member

(Brand new to this so I may be a little behind) I had the same thought as katydid23. For whatever reason, she may have told SD about her threesome experience the previous evening and if he had had ideas about “seducing” her, he may have taken it as an invitation to act on his own fantasies.
    This may be a bit far-fetched, but after hearing that in her discarded suitcase they found her wallet, credit cards, phone charger, toiletries, but NO clothes, I find myself thinking that maybe he’s got her locked up in a basement on some other property. I thought it was said, police never searched the property he “rents” to his mother because it’s technically leased to her so legally they can’t search it. But the SD stopped going to work the day she disappeared and if he had her locked up somewhere, clothing might still be useful whereas credit cards, phone charger, id etc are all only necessary for the outside world.

LesleyBright, StarEyes, anya and 4 others like this.