GUILTY VA - Megan Lorraine Metzger, 19, Appomattox County, 17 Jul 2018 *arrest*

Thursday, April 11th:
*Trial was set to begin-CANCELLED (@ 9am ET) – VA – Megan Lorraine Metzger (19) (July 17, 2018, Appomattox County; found July 22, 2018) - only for *David Weston Newton (20) arrested (7/20/18), charged (7/23/18) & indicted (11/19/18) with 1 count of murder & use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. Indicted (12/5/18) with concealment of a body. Indicted (12/17/18) & arraigned (1/29/19) with 2 counts of conspire to conceal dead body, conspire in commission of crime to conceal/compound, grand larceny (auto theft), conspire larceny (>$500) & malicious discharge of firearm. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. 11/19/18: Indicted on Murder & Use of a Firearm. 12/5/18: Indicted on Concealment of a body, goes to Grand Jury 12/17.
12/4/18 Update: Murder & Firearms: Arraignment hearing on 12/11/18. 12/11/18: Arraignment continued to 1/8/19.
1/8/19 Update Charged with murder, Use of a firearm in commission of a felony, 2 counts of conspire to conceal dead body, conceal/compound a felony, conspire in commission of crime to conceal/compound, grand larceny (auto theft), conspire larceny (>$500) & malicious discharge of firearm. Next arraignment hearing on “other” charges from Grand Jury indictment (12/17/18) on 1/29/19. For murder & firearms charge trial is set for 4/11 & 4/12/19.
1/29/19 Update: Plead not guilty. Next trial on 4/11 & 4/12.

3/14/19 Update: Trial delayed so that Newton's sanity can be tested. Trial now scheduled for July 17 & 18.
*Robert Patrick Keating (25) arrested (7/21/18), charged (7/23/18) & indicted (11/19/18) with accessory after the fact of a homicide, conspiring accessory after a homicide, concealing or compounding a felony, conspiracy of concealing/compounding, obstruction of justice, larceny of a firearm, possession of Sched I/II controlled substance, possession of controlled paraphernalia & possession of Sched IV controlled substance. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. 3/22/19: Plead guilty to six charges, sentencing on 8/6.
*Keelyn Rose Codynah (23) arrested (7/21/18), charged (7/23/18), indicted (11/19/18) & arraigned (1/29/19) with 1 count of accessory to murder, conceal or compound a felony, conspired to conceal/compound, concealing a dead body, conspiring to conceal a dead body. Conspiring to defile a dead body, defilement of a dead body & conspiring accessory after a homicide. Plead guilty. Held without bond.
1/29/18 Update: Plead guilty to 7 charges: accessory after fact of a homicide, conceal or compound a felony, conspired to conceal/compound, concealing a dead body, conspiring to conceal a dead body, conspiring to defile a dead body, defilement of a dead body & conspiring accessory after a homicide. Sentencing scheduled for 5/9.
*Juan Benavidez II (19) arrested & charged (7/20/18) & arraigned (10/9/18) with felony count of arson of a vehicle. Charged & indicted (12/17/19) with 1 count of accessory to murder after the fact, conceal or compound a felony, defilement of a dead boy, concealing a dead body & grand larceny (Auto theft). Plead guilty. Held without bond. 1/29/19 Update: Plead guilty (no contest) to accessory after a homicide, conceal or compound a felony, defilement of a dead body, concealing a dead body & grand larceny: auto theft. Sentencing is scheduled for 5/9. 1/29/19: still facing arson and other charges in Westmoreland.

@Niner I so appreciate your posts and all the work you do on here to keep everyone updated but I'm a little confused and having trouble following this one. Can someone spell this out for me like I'm 5 years old, what happened 4/11?? The trial was canceled? Not postponed or delayed?? I'm very lost.

@Niner I so appreciate your posts and all the work you do on here to keep everyone updated but I'm a little confused and having trouble following this one. Can someone spell this out for me like I'm 5 years old, what happened 4/11?? The trial was canceled? Not postponed or delayed?? I'm very lost.

Oops - sorry to confuse you mks! That is my wording - cancelled - meaning it was cancelled on that day 4/11. I should have said "postponed" or "delayed" - as it was delayed to 7/17 & 18th.

It was postponed as defense wants to do a mental competency on Newton.... so we wait!
impatient1.gif

But at least the other 3 plead guilty! :)

Oops - sorry to confuse you mks! That is my wording - cancelled - meaning it was cancelled on that day 4/11. I should have said "postponed" or "delayed" - as it was delayed to 7/17 & 18th.

It was postponed as defense wants to do a mental competency on Newton.... so we wait!
impatient1.gif

But at least the other 3 plead guilty! :)

Thank you for clearing that up!! Geez that's quite a delay. I hope he's found 110% fully competent. Like you said...time to wait.

Thursday, May 9th:
*Sentencing (@ 9am ET) – VA – Megan Lorraine Metzger (19) (July 17, 2018, Appomattox County; found July 22, 2018) - for *Keelyn Rose Codynah (23) arrested (7/21/18), charged (7/23/18), indicted (11/19/18) & arraigned (1/29/19) with 1 count of accessory to murder, conceal or compound a felony, conspired to conceal/compound, concealing a dead body, conspiring to conceal a dead body. Conspiring to defile a dead body, defilement of a dead body & conspiring accessory after a homicide. Held without bond.
1/29/18 Update: Plead guilty to 7 charges: accessory after fact of a homicide, conceal or compound a felony, conspired to conceal/compound, concealing a dead body, conspiring to conceal a dead body, conspiring to defile a dead body, defilement of a dead body & conspiring accessory after a homicide. Sentencing scheduled for 5/9.
for *Juan Benavidez II (19) arrested & charged (7/20/18) & arraigned (10/9/18) with felony count of arson of a vehicle. Charged & indicted (12/17/19) with 1 count of accessory to murder after the fact, conceal or compound a felony, defilement of a dead boy, concealing a dead body & grand larceny (Auto theft). Held without bond.
1/29/19 Update: Plead guilty (no contest) to accessory after a homicide, conceal or compound a felony, defilement of a dead body, concealing a dead body & grand larceny: auto theft. Sentencing is scheduled for 5/9.
1/29/19: still facing arson and other charges in Westmoreland. Status hearing on 5/17 continued to 7/26.
*Robert Patrick Keating (25) arrested (7/21/18), charged (7/23/18) & indicted (11/19/18) with accessory after the fact of a homicide, conspiring accessory after a homicide, concealing or compounding a felony, conspiracy of concealing/compounding, obstruction of justice, larceny of a firearm, possession of Sched I/II controlled substance, possession of controlled paraphernalia & possession of Sched IV controlled substance. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. 3/22/19: Plead guilty to six charges, sentencing on 8/6.
*David Weston Newton (20) arrested (7/20/18), charged (7/23/18) & indicted (11/19/18) with 1 count of murder & use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. Indicted (12/5/18) with concealment of a body. Indicted (12/17/18) & arraigned (1/29/19) with 2 counts of conspire to conceal dead body, conspire in commission of crime to conceal/compound, grand larceny (auto theft), conspire larceny (>$500) & malicious discharge of firearm. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial on 7/17 & 18.

I live in VA and am familiar with the Virginia Court website and I actually can't find any of these people in there so I'm clearly doing something wrong. I'm searching in the Appomattox Co circuit criminal court

I live in VA and am familiar with the Virginia Court website and I actually can't find any of these people in there so I'm clearly doing something wrong. I'm searching in the Appomattox Co circuit criminal court
Spotsylvania Courts

Oh shoot - another delay....

Tuesday, July 2nd:
*Motions Hearing (@ 9am ET) – VA – Megan Lorraine Metzger (19) (July 17, 2018, Appomattox County; found July 22, 2018) – only for *David Weston Newton (20) arrested (7/20/18), charged (7/23/18) & indicted (11/19/18) with 1 count of murder & use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. Indicted (12/5/18) with concealment of a body. Indicted (12/17/18) & arraigned (1/8/19) with 2 counts of conspire to conceal dead body, conspire in commission of crime to conceal/compound, grand larceny (auto theft), conspire larceny (>$500) & malicious discharge of firearm. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial set for 7/17 & 18.
Court hearings from 11/19/18 thru 3/14/19 reference post #102 here:
Found Deceased - VA - Megan Lorraine Metzger, 19, Appomattox County, 17 Jul 2018 *arrest*

6/26/19 Update: Motion to withdraw from counsel. Motion hearing on 7/2.
*Juan Benavidez IIPlead guilty. Sentencing 8/6.
*Robert Patrick KeatingPlead guilty. Sentencing on 8/6.
*Keelyn Rose Codynah – Plead guilty. Sentencing on 8/6.

I can not access this article - if someone could give a 10% synopsis on this - it would be very much appreciated! TIA! :)

Trial delayed for man accused of killing Megan Metzger at Spotsylvania gathering

and if there are any new court date in there?

"...one of the prosecution witnesses in Newton’s trial is a man he is representing on a pending drug distribution charge in Stafford County. That caused a conflict of interest that forced Judge Ricardo Rigual to remove Raymond from the case and appoint a new attorney for Newton.
Attorney Amy Harper, a former prosecutor in Spotsylvania, will take over as Newton’s lawyer. The trial will likely be delayed at least several months while Harper familiarizes herself with the case."

No date but delayed "several months"

Thanks a bunch mks762!

I'll keep my eye out on the court site - now that I have a "good" link to Virginia cases. YEA! :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back