VA VA - Michael, 50, Mary, 36, & Jennifer Short, 9, Bassett, 15 Aug 2002

What would be the possible routes for the killer. Pulling in the driveway, if it were a sneak attack, would always be a danger. One could be heard or headlights could be seen. But if one were expected, no issue. If the killer parked any distance, he had to get Jennifer to his car. I don't think many would want to drag her across a highway, though. Or even down one side. Lots of chances to be spotted. Ideas?

What would be the possible routes for the killer. Pulling in the driveway, if it were a sneak attack, would always be a danger. One could be heard or headlights could be seen. But if one were expected, no issue. If the killer parked any distance, he had to get Jennifer to his car. I don't think many would want to drag her across a highway, though. Or even down one side. Lots of chances to be spotted. Ideas?
As you're looking out the front door, there is a business to the left. He could have parked there and walked through the trees. In the 2002 photo there appears to structure on the other side with drive leading to it. If that isn't a residence he could have pulled in there and walked.

As you're looking out the front door, there is a business to the left. He could have parked there and walked through the trees. In the 2002 photo there appears to structure on the other side with drive leading to it. If that isn't a residence he could have pulled in there and walked.
A white work truck parked across the road, reported by many locals. LE didn't even look at the truck. Sheriff got in his head "B" was the suspect and that was it. They chased him all the way to Canada, took his van completely apart and zip...nothing.

I am of the opinion ....At this time the Sheriff dept was running an underground drug, prostitution, racketeering and money-laundering and they helped cover up for the murder.

I believe this was a "hit", phone lines cut, no fingerprints, LE failed to obtain DNA from either parent before being buried.
Moo....

A white work truck parked across the road, reported by many locals. LE didn't even look at the truck. Sheriff got in his head "B" was the suspect and that was it. They chased him all the way to Canada, took his van completely apart and zip...nothing.

I am of the opinion ....At this time the Sheriff dept was running an underground drug, prostitution, racketeering and money-laundering and they helped cover up for the murder.

I believe this was a "hit", phone lines cut, no fingerprints, LE failed to obtain DNA from either parent before being buried.
Moo....
A hit? That's a possibility. If that is the case, the killer possibly took Jennifer to make it look like she was the objective. Like the more recent Jayme Closs case. If that is so, she likely was killed shortly after entering NC. Of course, there is the possibility of a hitman that is also a pedophile.

The lack of fingerprints could be just as much a part of what LE did not do rather than what the killer did. I can't get over the fact that LE had to exhume the father to get DNA that they should have gotten before the burial.

A hit? That's a possibility. If that is the case, the killer possibly took Jennifer to make it look like she was the objective. Like the more recent Jayme Closs case. If that is so, she likely was killed shortly after entering NC. Of course, there is the possibility of a hitman that is also a pedophile.

The lack of fingerprints could be just as much a part of what LE did not do rather than what the killer did. I can't get over the fact that LE had to exhume the father to get DNA that they should have gotten before the burial.

Jennifer was the target. Moo

It could be similar to the Jayme Closs case. Random wacko guy was driving by and spotted Jennifer. He made a plan and came back (multiple times?). If totally random, that sure increases the difficulty level for LE. But you'd also think it wouldn't be a one-time thing. Was Jennifer the first or one of several or the only one? Is he in jail for something else (maybe similar)? We're a few days from the 19th anniversary. If the killer went to prison for something else, could he be approaching a release? Whoever it was, they seem to have kept quiet about it or have friends that aren't talking.

Another question is how did he choose the site he left Jennifer's body? It's been a while since I looked it up on maps. Was it remote to where it was likely somebody familiar with the area? Or was it a somewhat busy road? I know it was near somebody's house so was it a message to them?

Another question is how did he choose the site he left Jennifer's body? It's been a while since I looked it up on maps. Was it remote to where it was likely somebody familiar with the area? Or was it a somewhat busy road? I know it was near somebody's house so was it a message to them?
It appears to be a very remote area, particularly the road and bridge where LE believes her body was thrown from the bridge. Remote enough that whoever did this was not concerned about being seen as he parked his vehicle and got rid of the body. My opinion is that it is someone who lived in the area and possibly still lives there, but has kept a low profile ever since. Probably someone who has been through that area more than once in the past for whatever reason.

Jennifer's remains were found in Stoneville, NC. I see Route 220 runs right past the short house and through Stoneville. 30 miles straight down the highway.

One possibility is the one of the adults was the target and the killer was surprised to find a child present. Perhaps he was hesitant about killing her so took her until he decided what to do. 30 miles down the road he made his decision.

I see the suspect that was in the news so much did live in Rockingham County, NC which is where Stoneville is located.

Just read another old news story that said he owned a trailer located about a mile from where the body was found.

It appears the 2002 person of interest died in December 2014. Is it okay to use his name here, now? It's been in countless news stories over the years.

The suspect's trailer was moved to the property at 36.4024,-79.898. You can still see trailers nearby and I assume on the same property. This is about a half-mile (straight line) from the bridge where Jennifer's remains were found.

Here's the body location circled in red and the location the suspect's trailer was moved to in green. The suspects van was moved to this property the day after the murders. I don't know what day the trailer was moved. Note the owner of this property defended the suspect and said he spent time with him on the day of the murders. He believes him to be totally innocent.

Body (red) and Trailer (green).jpg

It appears the 2002 person of interest died in December 2014. Is it okay to use his name here, now? It's been in countless news stories over the years.

The POI you referenced either owned property or had some sort of contact to the area Jennifer's body was found. He also left for Canada the day after the murders. However, before he died, the FBI stated that he was no longer a POI in the case.

I know the incriminating statements came from his landlord. I wonder if he retracted them. Otherwise, why did the FBI clear him?

I have never read anything stating their reasoning for no longer pursuing him as a suspect. Perhaps, some of the other posters could shed light on this?

The suspect's trailer was moved to the property at 36.4024,-79.898. You can still see trailers nearby and I assume on the same property. This is about a half-mile (straight line) from the bridge where Jennifer's remains were found.

Here's the body location circled in red and the location the suspect's trailer was moved to in green. The suspects van was moved to this property the day after the murders. I don't know what day the trailer was moved. Note the owner of this property defended the suspect and said he spent time with him on the day of the murders. He believes him to be totally innocent.

View attachment 308297
Wow! I believe I've been in that area before when my uncle lived about 5-10 miles from where she was found. We had to drive thru it to get to Summerfield or Hanging Rock SP. I haven't been there in 25 years, but from what I remember of that particular area this killer was likely familiar with the area as most traveling through would drive east-west on Hwy 58 or I-40 or north-south on Hwy 220.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back