VA VA - Nanci Britner, 45, Winchester, 28 June 2023

TedMac

Reaction score

WINCHESTER — Where is Nanci Britner?​

The 45-year-old Winchester woman hasn’t been seen or heard from in more than a week, which her family says is completely uncharacteristic for her.

According to Britner’s daughter, Kelsi Britner, and sister, Betsy Chavez, Nanci Britner is caring and compassionate, always looking out for her family and doting on her grandchildren. While she enjoyed partying in her younger days, she is now healthy, happy and sober.

“She’s a homebody,” Chavez said on Thursday. “She’s never done this; she wouldn’t do this,” Kelsi Britner added. “I believe with my whole heart that something happened to her.”

The Winchester Police Department is investigating Nanci Britner’s disappearance but, as of Thursday afternoon, Capt. Frank Myrtle said his office had no leads in the case. “She’s not in any trouble or wanted in connection with any crime,” Myrtle said. “We just want to check her welfare and check her safety.” Nanci Britner has not been seen since June 28. That morning, she picked up a box of food from Victory Church and delivered it to Chavez at her efficiency apartment in the Relax Inn at 2645 Valley Ave.

“Every morning at 6:45 a.m., she would call me and say, ‘Wake up. It’s a beautiful day, don’t waste it,’” said Chavez, who is currently undergoing treatments for cancer and noted that her sister helps to care for her. Chavez said Nanci Britner left the Relax Inn a few hours later to return to her apartment, which is located in the same building where Kelsi Britner and her children live. Kelsi Britner said her mom visited with her and her children until shortly after 6 p.m., then went back to the Relax Inn to see Chavez. Around 11 p.m., Chavez said, Nanci Britner started calling people and asking for a ride home. She was still doing that when Chavez fell asleep sometime around 11:30 p.m.
Chavez said she had told her sister that she was welcome to spend the night with her at the motel, but Nanci Britner was eager to get home because she was expecting a visit from her adult son the next day.

“My mom hadn’t seen him or his kids in almost a year,” Kelsi Britner said of her brother who lives in Morgantown, West Virginia. “She was so excited to see him.” When Chavez woke up the next morning, the door to her room was locked, leading her to believe Nanci Britner had locked it when she left. “The Relax Inn doesn’t have any camera footage from that night,” Kelsi Britner said. “I think whoever picked her up was somebody she knew,” Chavez speculated. “She would have shown up by now,” Kelsi Britner said. “My mom’s the only person who helps me with my kids. She’s always here for my kids.” Family members have tried multiple times to call Nanci Britner on one of her two cellphones but, so far, have had no luck. “I called one of them Thursday morning (June 29) — it went straight to voicemail,” Kelsi Britner said. “The other one I called and it went through, but after that, it was turned off or something.” Kelsi Britner added that investigators with the Winchester Police Department have not been able to ping either of Nanci Britner’s phones so they cannot trace the devices.

The daughter spent the past week putting up flyers with pictures of her mom in hopes that someone will recognize her and reach out to the family, but no one has called. Myrtle said the Winchester Police Department has also posted Nanci Britner’s photo on its Facebook page but has not yet heard from anyone who may have seen her since the night of June 28. “We’re still asking the public to push her picture out and share our post as well,” Myrtle said. “We need to know where she is and if she’s OK,” Chavez said. “We need closure.”

If you have any information that could help investigators locate Nanci Britner, call the Winchester Police Department at 540-662-4131 or the Winchester-Frederick-Clarke Crime Solvers at 540-665-TIPS (8477). Tips can also be submitted via Crime Solvers’ P3 app, which is available as a free download for Apple and Android smartphones.

— Contact Brian Brehm at bbrehm@winchesterstar.com

"Meanwhile, Myrtle said police still have no leads in the case of Nanci Britner, a 45-year-old Winchester woman who has been missing since the night of June 28.
According to Britner's family members, it is out of character for her to be gone for an extended period of time without letting anyone know her whereabouts.
Britner was last seen at around 11:30 p.m. June 28 while visiting her sister's efficiency apartment in the Relax Inn at 2645 Valley Ave., Winchester. The sister, Betsy Chavez, said Britner stopped by often to check on her welfare because Chavez is currently being treated for cancer.

On the night of June 28, Chavez said Britner was calling friends trying to find a ride home to her apartment. Chavez said she fell asleep while Britner was making those calls, but Britner was gone and the door was locked the following morning, so Chavez assumed her sister had found a ride with someone she knew.
Britner's daughter, Kelsi Britner, said her mom visited her and her children every day, and she helped to care for the grandkids. Kelsi Britner knew something was amiss on the morning of June 29 when Nanci Britner didn't show up as expected.
Kelsi Britner said she tried to call her mother's two cellphones that morning. One of the phones went straight to voicemail. The other rang but was not answered, then appeared to have been turned off when the daughter called back.
Myrtle said the Winchester Police Department wants to hear from anyone who may have seen or heard from Nanci Britner after 11:30 p.m. June 28. Her picture is posted on the department's Facebook page, and police are encouraging the public to share it in hopes that someone will see it and realize they may have encountered Britner sometime during the past two weeks.
If you have information that could help investigators locate Nanci Britner, call the Winchester Police Department at 540-662-4131 or the Winchester-Frederick-Clarke Crime Solvers at 540-665-TIPS (8477). Tips can also be submitted via Crime Solvers’ P3 app, which is available as a free download for Apple and Android smartphones."

1690405662196.jpeg
Britner has four children and 13 grandchildren all of whom are hoping for her safe return.

“She’s just always here, all the kids love her, they miss her, we all miss her,” said Nanci’s daughter Kelsi Britner. “She’s the type of person that is there for everybody no matter what. She could have nothing, and she’d still give.”

Kelsi said that the night her mother went missing she was visiting her sister’s hotel room and that night her sister said she was calling people to try to get a ride home. When her sister awoke the next day Nanci was gone but she never made it home.

“Thursday the morning after she went missing my brother from Morgantown was coming down here to visit with his kids and my mother hasn’t seen them in almost a year. So she was really excited about seeing them but she still never showed up,” said Kelsi.

“She’s just a really good person and I really want to find her. My kids miss her so much and I know that she’s not out here just to be out here,” said Kelsi.

“Even when she was an alcoholic she still never left, she would at least call if she went somewhere. She’s just never done this before so now that she’s sober it really does worry me that this did happen,” said Kelsi.

Kelsi said that she believes her mother was abducted by someone.

“I’m hoping by getting her story out there further, I don’t really believe she is in the Winchester area anymore wherever she is at, but I’m hoping someone sees it or they know where she is at or they know anything about what happened,” she said.

WHSV spoke with Captain Frank Myrtle of the Winchester Police Department on Wednesday, and he provided an update on the investigation.

Myrtle said that police have received numerous calls and tips for possible sightings of Nanci around the region, but police have investigated all of these tips and sightings and have found nothing of significance. There still have been no confirmed sightings of Nanci since June 28.

As for a potential abduction Myrtle said that police remain unsure of the circumstances surrounding Nanci’s disappearance and continue to treat the investigation as a missing persons case. Winchester Police continue to work with the Fredrick County Sheriff’s Office and other law enforcement agencies on the case.

"Meanwhile, Myrtle said police still have no leads in the case of Nanci Britner, a 45-year-old Winchester woman who has been missing since the night of June 28.
According to Britner's family members, it is out of character for her to be gone for an extended period of time without letting anyone know her whereabouts.
Britner was last seen at around 11:30 p.m. June 28 while visiting her sister's efficiency apartment in the Relax Inn at 2645 Valley Ave., Winchester. The sister, Betsy Chavez, said Britner stopped by often to check on her welfare because Chavez is currently being treated for cancer.

On the night of June 28, Chavez said Britner was calling friends trying to find a ride home to her apartment. Chavez said she fell asleep while Britner was making those calls, but Britner was gone and the door was locked the following morning, so Chavez assumed her sister had found a ride with someone she knew.
Britner's daughter, Kelsi Britner, said her mom visited her and her children every day, and she helped to care for the grandkids. Kelsi Britner knew something was amiss on the morning of June 29 when Nanci Britner didn't show up as expected.
Kelsi Britner said she tried to call her mother's two cellphones that morning. One of the phones went straight to voicemail. The other rang but was not answered, then appeared to have been turned off when the daughter called back.
Myrtle said the Winchester Police Department wants to hear from anyone who may have seen or heard from Nanci Britner after 11:30 p.m. June 28. Her picture is posted on the department's Facebook page, and police are encouraging the public to share it in hopes that someone will see it and realize they may have encountered Britner sometime during the past two weeks.
If you have information that could help investigators locate Nanci Britner, call the Winchester Police Department at 540-662-4131 or the Winchester-Frederick-Clarke Crime Solvers at 540-665-TIPS (8477). Tips can also be submitted via Crime Solvers’ P3 app, which is available as a free download for Apple and Android smartphones."

I hope LE can get the call history on her two phones to find out who she spoke to that day. They might learn more from who she spoke to OR find the person responsible.

Her arrest history goes back a long time and is concerning. Numerous separate assault/assault and battery, obtain by fraud, obtain money by false pretenses, 2 cases involving felony of uttering (a crime involving a person with the intent to defraud that knowingly sells, publishes or passes a forged or counterfeited document), DWI (3 of them), viol. court order with psych assessment, conspiracy, forgery, and the most recent for petit larceny in 2022, for which it looks like she is awaiting trial. Her daughter said she's sober now and that's great, but with this history, it is likely she has people that might wish her harm, in my opinion. Virginia Judiciary Online Case Information System

Her arrest history goes back a long time and is concerning. Numerous separate assault/assault and battery, obtain by fraud, obtain money by false pretenses, 2 cases involving felony of uttering (a crime involving a person with the intent to defraud that knowingly sells, publishes or passes a forged or counterfeited document), DWI (3 of them), viol. court order with psych assessment, conspiracy, forgery, and the most recent for petit larceny in 2022, for which it looks like she is awaiting trial. Her daughter said she's sober now and that's great, but with this history, it is likely she has people that might wish her harm, in my opinion. Virginia Judiciary Online Case Information System
Or tends to have bad judgement and trusted the wrong person.

Behan said on Friday the search for Britner has been hampered because the missing woman shunned many modern amenities. She had no social media presence or credit cards, and she used prepaid cellphones.

Had several other aliases:

Linda Hoggatt​

Aka: Nanci Leigh Britner, Nanci L Hoggatt, Nanci Leigh Castillo, Linda R Garcia

It might be helpful when they are looking for her because someone might know her by a different name.

Sister keeps saying she was abducted and two days after she went missing posted “She's a fighter but I think she lost this one” on July 1st. A little too foreshadowy for me. The tone is a beat off with her posts but that could be for any number of reasons.

Daughter seems very genuine and concerned.

Ex boyfriend did post some apathetic and tone deaf things, but was so brazen and called so much attention to himself that I doubt he is involved.

She has two FB profiles: One with 72 friends visible, and one with 197 friends visible.
The one with 72 friends is the most recent as the profile picture was posted April 16th. The other was last updated September 2022.

Some characters in her friends list. Every once in a while you come across someone and when something bad happens you look back and think “I’m not surprised.” Her friends list has lots of those someone’s.

I really hope they find her safe. It may have been a stranger if she decided to walk. I think I read it was an 11 minute drive so that would have been a 1.5 hour walk. Maybe she hitchhiked? My guess is that it’s someone she knows and called.

"Nanci Britner, 45, of Winchester, was last seen on the night of June 28 at the Relax Inn at 2645 Valley Ave. in Winchester, where she had been visiting her sister, Betsy Chavez.

The sister said Britner was calling around for a ride home when Chavez fell asleep around 11:30 p.m. By morning, Britner was gone but it is not known if anyone picked her up.

Behan said last week the search for Britner has been hampered because the missing woman shunned many modern conveniences, including social media, credit cards and a cellphone account. Several tips have come in over the past two weeks but nothing has panned out."

WINCHESTER, Va. (WHSV) - The family of a missing woman in Winchester is holding a special event next weekend that they hope will help bring answers. 45-year-old Nanci Britner has been missing since June 28.

On Saturday November 25, her family and the non-profit Voices for the Silenced are hosting an indoor yard sale and raffling off donated items to raise money for a reward for anyone who provides information leading to the location of Nanci.

“I’m just hoping that we raise enough that we get someone who actually knows what happened to her to actually talk and come forward of where she could be,” said Kelsi Brinter, Nanci’s daughter.

The indoor yard sale fundraiser will be held at 109 Boundary Ave. in Winchester on Saturday Nov. 25 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Anyone with information on Nanci Britner’s whereabouts is urged to contact the Winchester Police Department at 540-662-4131.

Nanci's case is featured in this week's Vanished podcast .There are interviews with several members of her family.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back