Found Deceased VA - Nicole Clardy Mittendorff, 31, Woodbridge, 13 April 2016 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this remind anyone else of the Jennifer Huston case? I hope the outcome is not the same.

Until or unless something aside from a lack of texting with or reporting wife missing as quickly as others might is introduced via the media or law enforcement, Nicole's husband is a victim by Websleuths standards and I urge members to tread lightly where he is concerned.

Suggesting that you find a behavior or lack of a behavior unusual or odd is perfectly fine, but please, do not spend the next three pages discussing what you would do that he did not.

His wife is missing, we do not have any indication it is due to foul play at this time.

What we do have is a worried family, including a husband, that may be reading here.

Thank you.

I'm sorry for all the worry trooper Mittendorff's and Nicole's family must be going through. I've never met the guy, but my colleagues have.

Firefighters Battle Forest Fire in Shenandoah National Park
http://www.nbc29.com/story/31746544/firefighters-battle-forest-fire-in-shenandoah-national-park

PRESS RELEASE (I think I can quote it 100% per TOS; if not, my apologize, please snip.)

"Press Release from Shenandoah National Park:

Rocky Mtn Fire 2016 Forces Trail Closures in Shenandoah National Park
Luray, Virginia: A fire was reported yesterday, April 16, 2016, within the south district of Shenandoah National Park. The Rocky Mtn Fire 2016 is currently estimated at 200 acres, burning entirely within the park boundary in designated wilderness. There are three trail closures associated with this fire; Rocky Mount Trail, Gap Run Trail, and Onemile Run Trail. Skyline Drive remains open at this time. No structures are currently threatened by the fire.
The cause of the fire is under investigation, but is likely human caused. The fire is within the park's Fire Ecology Zone, where fire is allowed to occur to achieve natural resource benefits commensurate with the park's responsibility to protect life and property, and keep the fire within the park boundaries. A "Maximum Management Area" has been defined, and holding actions will be taken as necessary and appropriate to keep the fire within that area, and within the park.
"We are carefully monitoring and actively managing this fire to make sure it is meeting our resource objectives, and will stay in the park.* We will reevaluate our strategy and tactics every day and make adjustments as needed. I have great confidence in our fire professionals and appreciate all the assistance we are receiving in managing this fire" stated park superintendent Jim Northup.
The area where the fire is occurring has been closed to public use until further notice. Additional closures may be implemented at any time as needed for visitor and firefighter safety. Please use caution when traveling along Skyline Drive due to potential smoke impacts.
Resources assigned to the fire include personnel from the National Park Service and the Virginia Department of Forestry. Additional firefighters and equipment are en route."

How far is it from where her car was found to the fire? Could she have started the fire to signal for help? Could someone have gotten her and started the fire for other reasons? Or simply someone camping and not being responsible? Is her phone off? No pings?
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered.

Geography

"Shenandoah National Park encompasses part of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the U.S. state of Virginia. This national park is long and narrow, with the broad Shenandoah River and Valleyon the west side, and the rolling hills of the Virginia Piedmonton the east. Although the scenic Skyline Drive is likely the most prominent feature of the park, almost 40% of the land area 79,579 acres (124.342 sq mi; 32,204 ha; 322.04 km2) has been designated as wilderness and is protected as part of theNational Wilderness Preservation System. The highest peak isHawksbill Mountain at 4,051 feet (1,235*m)."

"The park encompasses parts of eight counties. On the west side of Skyline Drive they are, from northeast to southwest, Warren, Page, Rockingham, and Augusta counties. On the east side of Skyline Drive they are Rappahannock,Madison, Greene, and Albemarle counties. The park stretches for 105 miles (169 km) along Skyline Drive from near the town of Front Royal in the northeast to near the city of Waynesboro in the southwest. The park headquarters are located in Luray."

Geology

"Shenandoah National Park lies along the Blue Ridge Mountains in north-central Virginia. These mountains form a distinct highland rising to elevations above 4,000 feet (1,200 m). Local topographic relief between the Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah Valley exceeds 3,000 feet (910 m) at some locations. The crest of the range divides the Shenandoah River drainage basin, part of the Potomac River drainage, on the west side, from the James and Rappahannock River drainage basins on the east side.[3]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenandoah_National_Park

where is the trail in the area that was being searched for Nicole in relation to these three that have been closed due to the fire?

Any locals following who would know so I can save myself the embarrassment of attempting to map?

The Washington Post has picked up Nicole's story:

Vehicle found at Shenandoah National Park, search for missing woman continues
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...cd8b7c-04c4-11e6-b283-e79d81c63c1b_story.html

"A car belonging to a missing 31-year-old Woodbridge woman was found in a remote area of the Shenandoah National Park over the weekend, but the search continues for the avid runner and tri-athlete who family members said might have been in the park to use a running trail.

Virginia State Police discovered Nicole K. Mittendorff’s 2009 Mini Cooper parked near the White Oak Canyon Trail — close to Old Rag — on Saturday night, said Corinne Geller, a spokeswoman for the state police. But there has been no other sign of Mittendorff since the middle of last week. Family members reported Mittendorff missing Friday after she didn’t show up for a morning shift at her job, which was highly unusual for her."

*so this article says "close to Old Rag".

"Family members speculated that Mittendorff might have been going out to train for a race. Shenandoah National Park, along the Blue Ridge Mountains, has an extensive trail network, including a stretch of the Appalachian Trail. The White Oak Canyon Trail runs near Skyline Drive and it is known for it waterfalls."

Snip

"In a Facebook post Sunday morning, Clardy thanked friends and followers for their dedication to finding his daughter and for their words of support.

“My near and dear are a treasure, and the time with them is a reservoir in this drought,” he said."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...cd8b7c-04c4-11e6-b283-e79d81c63c1b_story.html

So happy to see Nicole's case finally getting some traction with the press. She sounds like a strong woman and accomplished athlete!

"Preparing to Hike Old Rag Mountain

Old Rag is Shenandoah's most popular and most dangerous hike. The number of blogs and websites about this hike attests to its popularity. The number of search and rescue missions each year attests to its danger. There's no doubt that the scramble is great fun and the views are spectacular. A day on Old Rag is one of Shenandoah's premier experiences. We want to be sure that your experience is not marred by an accident or health issue that could be prevented with good planning."

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/old-rag-hike-prep.htm

*much more at link including parking, etc. It appears the full hike is about 9 miles?

Eta:

"....but there are a few special considerations for Old Rag.

Be sure that you are physically able to complete this hike. The circuit hike is about 9 miles. There is a significant elevation change and a strenuous rock scramble that requires good upper body strength. Often, children and shorter adults need assistance navigating the scramble.

Take at least 2 quarts of water per person. Dehydration is one of the most prevalent issues.

Wear sturdy shoes that will support your ankles and allow you to to get a foothold without slipping."

Eta:

"Parking

Especially during busy weekends, parking can be another challenge. All Old Rag hikers must use the large parking area at the Old Rag Fee Station. The small parking area at the Old Rag Trailhead is NOT open to the public.

In an effort to make the Old Rag experience safer, we have increased patrols so the trailhead lot will be reserved for Old Rag staff including Search and Rescue personnel, park staff, trail overseers, and*Old Rag Mountain Stewards. The parking lot is about a .8 mile walk along the road to the trailhead

Parking is prohibited along the road shoulders. Please use the lot to avoid being towed."

There are appear to be many parking areas near Old Rag ; The Washington Post article said it was near a "remote area".

attachment.php

(Image source: nps.gov)

Attachments

• central-1.jpg
    central-1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 566
"Preparing to Hike Old Rag Mountain

Old Rag is Shenandoah's most popular and most dangerous hike. The number of blogs and websites about this hike attests to its popularity. The number of search and rescue missions each year attests to its danger. There's no doubt that the scramble is great fun and the views are spectacular. A day on Old Rag is one of Shenandoah's premier experiences. We want to be sure that your experience is not marred by an accident or health issue that could be prevented with good planning."

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/old-rag-hike-prep.htm

*much more at link including parking, etc. It appears the full hike is about 9 miles?

Eta:

"....but there are a few special considerations for Old Rag.

Be sure that you are physically able to complete this hike. The circuit hike is about 9 miles. There is a significant elevation change and a strenuous rock scramble that requires good upper body strength. Often, children and shorter adults need assistance navigating the scramble.

Take at least 2 quarts of water per person. Dehydration is one of the most prevalent issues.

Wear sturdy shoes that will support your ankles and allow you to to get a foothold without slipping."

Eta:

"Parking

Especially during busy weekends, parking can be another challenge. All Old Rag hikers must use the large parking area at the Old Rag Fee Station. The small parking area at the Old Rag Trailhead is NOT open to the public.

In an effort to make the Old Rag experience safer, we have increased patrols so the trailhead lot will be reserved for Old Rag staff including Search and Rescue personnel, park staff, trail overseers, and*Old Rag Mountain Stewards. The parking lot is about a .8 mile walk along the road to the trailhead

Parking is prohibited along the road shoulders. Please use the lot to avoid being towed."

It doesn't sound like the type of hike that someone should do alone.

It doesn't sound like the type of hike to do alone.

It is definitely not. I'm an avid hiker and grew up at the base of Old Rag. It's my favorite hike, but you have to plan ahead. I once hiked it with my son, who was quite young at the time. We started in the afternoon, which turned out to be a big mistake. It's a long hike (if you do the full circuit). I underestimated how much slower the pace would be with a kid his age. The sun was setting as we had reached the top. It took more than an hour to get to the parking area from there. We got off the mountain but it was pitch black when we reached my car. If I hadn't put him on my back and broke into a sprint while there was still some dim light, we wouldn't have made it and would have been lost.

I don't know if NM went to Old Rag, White Canyon or either, but if she did, she didn't plan it right. Since she lives in Woodbridge, it would have taken her some time just to get there. This could have delayed her start which could have put her in the same trouble I found myself. At this point, though, we don't know if she drove there or even had intended to be in the area. I'm inclined to think she didn't. I would guess with her training in emergency response, she wouldn't take the chance to drive an hour to hike alone and not even tell anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard