VA - Nicole Lovell, 13, Blacksburg, 27 January 2016 #5 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious how the FBI arrived so fast. I'm happy they did, don't get me wrong. But how did they know to be on the scene so fast? I live in the region and FBI usually doesn't show up this fast for a missing child.

Also I didn't receive an Amber Alert on my phone when she disappeared. Are Amber Alerts only for children who are abducted by a loved one?

No, Amber Alerts are also used in suspected stranger abductions. My understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong), is that the criteria includes credible threat, and some type of info on the abductor (description of vehicle, etc.)...something for which the public can be on the lookout. IMO, early on, it was unclear whether Nicole was forcibly abducted or left on her own volition. I'll see if I can finkd a link.

Edited to add: from amber alert.gov.
"What are the criteria for issuing AMBER Alerts?

Each state AMBER Alert plan includes its own criteria for issuing AMBER Alerts. The PROTECT Act, passed in 2003, which established the role of AMBER Alert Coordinator within the Department of Justice, calls for the Department of Justice to issue minimum standards or guidelines for AMBER Alerts that states can adopt voluntarily. The Department's Guidance on Criteria for Issuing AMBER Alerts is as follows:

There is reasonable belief by law enforcement that an abduction has occurred.
The law enforcement agency believes that the child is in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death.
There is enough descriptive information about the victim and the abduction for law enforcement to issue an AMBER Alert to assist in the recovery of the child.
The abduction is of a child aged 17 years or younger.
The child’s name and other critical data elements, including the Child Abduction flag, have been entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) system.
Most states’ guidelines adhere closely to the Department of Justice's recommended guidelines."

Thank you for posting this article. How sad that Nicole fantasized about having someone love her and found out the brutal reality much too young that all was not real at all.

If there is to be any good from this, hopefully young girls will be more vigilant with their SM as well as their parents. It is not easy being a parent in this day and age for sure.

I agree that good can come from Nicole's story; girls and their parents need to be more vigilant with their SM AND (I am sorry, this is not going to sound very PC, but it is absolutely TRUE and I am going to do my best to word this without offending) the best intervention for a girl is the relationship with her father. Do not get me wrong, I am not blaming her father, I am just stating what I believe to be a fact based on my psych studies as well as personal experience with myself and our daughter. My husband is an amazing man and father but was clueless when it came to the needs of our daughter and it took coaching him to get him to see what a girl needed from daddy. It was not natural to him and he didn't "get it" but he trusted me and gave her what she needed. My gosh, if he and I had been divorced and I wasn't coaching him, I truly worry about where our daughter would be now because she was very needy (I am happy to report she found an amazing man who is a very good fit for her). Bottom line is, a girl's first love is her father and the relationship she forms with a man is often a reflection of the relationship she has with her father.

http://drjamesdobson.org/articles/connect/you-are-her-first-love-part-1

Got it. I didn't know her mom knew about David before this happened. Or did she know about David after the neighbor's daughters told her? I didn't know this part. Thank you.

It was probably the social media connection as that is FBI territory. Nicole's mom (according to the dad on Dr. Phil) knew she had been in contact with a David.

Excellent explanation. Thank you. Then that makes sense the Amber Alert includes a description of a vehicle, etc. Now I know why the Amber Alerts that come through my phone nearly always have a vehicle description.

No, Amber Alerts are also used in suspected stranger abductions. My understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong), is that the criteria includes credible threat, and some type of info on the abductor (description of vehicle, etc.)...something for which the public can be on the lookout. IMO, early on, it was unclear whether Nicole was forcibly abducted or left on her own volition. I'll see if I can finkd a link.

Edited to add: from amber alert.gov.
"What are the criteria for issuing AMBER Alerts?

Each state AMBER Alert plan includes its own criteria for issuing AMBER Alerts. The PROTECT Act, passed in 2003, which established the role of AMBER Alert Coordinator within the Department of Justice, calls for the Department of Justice to issue minimum standards or guidelines for AMBER Alerts that states can adopt voluntarily. The Department's Guidance on Criteria for Issuing AMBER Alerts is as follows:

There is reasonable belief by law enforcement that an abduction has occurred.
The law enforcement agency believes that the child is in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death.
There is enough descriptive information about the victim and the abduction for law enforcement to issue an AMBER Alert to assist in the recovery of the child.
The abduction is of a child aged 17 years or younger.
The child’s name and other critical data elements, including the Child Abduction flag, have been entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) system.
Most states’ guidelines adhere closely to the Department of Justice's recommended guidelines."

Before, I believe.

Got it. I didn't know her mom knew about David before this happened. Or did she know about David after the neighbor's daughters told her? I didn't know this part. Thank you.

This. All of this. Spot on.

And as an aside from my own online research into what makes certain guys take advantage of younger women (women of all ages actually), many of them look out for girls who are not close to their parents and especially their fathers. This whole online subculture of younger guys wanting to become alpha males is incredibly eye opening. If you are a parent of a daughter, it's worth exploring their tactics and how they use domination and subtle control to take advantage to please their own desires. It's something you can research on your own, make notes, digest, and pass on to your child in your own way. When they are of the appropriate age, you can tell them what tactics guys may try to take advantage of them.

Childhood encompasses not only parents, but all family members. Several years back I told my cousins little girl how sweet she was and that she was pretty. An aunt told me telling her that was spoiling her. I was very blunt and asked her if she'd rather the girl heard it at home first or only heard it when she went away to college from some creep. Complimenting and encouraging children is not spoiling. Build them up so a stranger doesn't have that first chance.

I agree that good can come from Nicole's story; girls and their parents need to be more vigilant with their SM AND (I am sorry, this is not going to sound very PC, but it is absolutely TRUE and I am going to do my best to word this without offending) the best intervention for a girl is the relationship with her father. Do not get me wrong, I am not blaming her father, I am just stating what I believe to be a fact based on my psych studies as well as personal experience with myself and our daughter. My husband is an amazing man and father but was clueless when it came to the needs of our daughter and it took coaching him to get him to see what a girl needed from daddy. It was not natural to him and he didn't "get it" but he trusted me and gave her what she needed. My gosh, if he and I had been divorced and I wasn't coaching him, I truly worry about where our daughter would be now because she was very needy (I am happy to report she found an amazing man who is a very good fit for her). Bottom line is, a girl's first love is her father and the relationship she forms with a man is often a reflection of the relationship she has with her father.

This. All of this. Spot on.

And as an aside from my own online research into what makes certain guys take advantage of younger women (women of all ages actually), many of them look out for girls who are not close to their parents and especially their fathers. This whole online subculture of younger guys wanting to become alpha males is incredibly eye opening. If you are a parent of a daughter, it's worth exploring their tactics and how they use domination and subtle control to take advantage to please their own desires. It's something you can research on your own, make notes, digest, and pass on to your child in your own way. When they are of the appropriate age, you can tell them what tactics guys may try to take advantage of them.

Childhood encompasses not only parents, but all family members. Several years back I told my cousins little girl how sweet she was and that she was pretty. An aunt told me telling her that was spoiling her. I was very blunt and asked her if she'd rather the girl heard it at home first or only heard it when she went away to college from some creep. Complimenting and encouraging children is not spoiling. Build them up so a stranger doesn't have that first chance.

Absolutely! Good for you to speak up!

That is a wonderful article... Very elegantly written. Needs to be printed out and given to all dads of girls.

Agree!! And also uncles, cousins, grandfathers. So many family members can be incredibly influential in a girl's life.

That is a wonderful article... Very elegantly written. Needs to be printed out and given to all dads of girls.

Hello to all. I have been following, but have had nothing to add. Maybe someone can help me out here. Nicole is only 13, why is she so obsessive about having a boyfriend or even male attention. I was 13 not all that long ago, and I remember at that age, we may have only been beginning to take a slight notice of guys, and they were our age or close to it. Most of the girls I knew thought guys, even 18, were too old, way to old for us. Why is she so clearly obsessive with regards to males? And, then heartbroken if one who speaks to her, doesn't anymore. Don't most girls that age realize that is the nature of the beast? I don't have children, so can only go by memories of what myself and friends were like, or my nieces or friends children. I have not seen any of them with any behavior at age l3. What do you guys think about this attitude at this age. Certainly, adults in her life most of noticed her obsession, no? I know my parents would of, they were like hawks, I used to think they could read my mind, as they knew everything I was thinking, sometimes, it seemed, before I actually thought it.

You guys are doing a great job with your thoughts and compassion for this horrid case. Those two adults who perpetrated this crime are absolutely evil. Thanks to all, and thanks to Websleuths for providing this thread. Katt

I'm curious how the FBI arrived so fast. I'm happy they did, don't get me wrong. But how did they know to be on the scene so fast? I live in the region and FBI usually doesn't show up this fast for a missing child.

FBI has an office in Roanoke and that's only an hour away from Blacksburg. It's possible that law enforcement asked for their help.

I've wondered this as well. She was obviously searching for love, belonging, and acceptance. It's sad she felt she had to turn to strangers to find that. That being said, a lot of tweens and teens now express having a 'boyfriend' and they only know the guy online and have never met him. They will chat over kik or message on FB and then put his picture up and say something like: he's mine. this is my boyfriend and no one else touch him. Yet they haven't met.

And these are my thoughts and not judging, but perhaps she was around older girls and friends of neighbors and relatives who said things like: Oh, I need a man. That easily influences a 13 year old. From some other comments I've heard, she didn't see much of her father. She obviously yearned for attention from a male.

Someone took horrible advantage of a 13 year old trying to navigate a world where she thought she could find comfort.

Hello to all. I have been following, but have had nothing to add. Maybe someone can help me out here. Nicole is only 13, why is she so obsessive about having a boyfriend or even male attention. I was 13 not all that long ago, and I remember at that age, we may have only been beginning to take a slight notice of guys, and they were our age or close to it. Most of the girls I knew thought guys, even 18, were too old, way to old for us. Why is she so clearly obsessive with regards to males? And, then heartbroken if one who speaks to her, doesn't anymore. Don't most girls that age realize that is the nature of the beast? I don't have children, so can only go by memories of what myself and friends were like, or my nieces or friends children. I have not seen any of them with any behavior at age l3. What do you guys think about this attitude at this age. Certainly, adults in her life most of noticed her obsession, no? I know my parents would of, they were like hawks, I used to think they could read my mind, as they knew everything I was thinking, sometimes, it seemed, before I actually thought it.

You guys are doing a great job with your thoughts and compassion for this horrid case. Those two adults who perpetrated this crime are absolutely evil. Thanks to all, and thanks to Websleuths for providing this thread. Katt

Thanks. I'd wondered if they had an office nearby. They were so swift.

FBI has an office in Roanoke and that's only an hour away from Blacksburg. It's possible that law enforcement asked for their help.

Well, my answer/opinion to why Nicole sought the attention of males lies within my previous post. We girls just want to be loved and accepted and if we lack that feeling at home, we will find it else where...or at least try. I think it is important to look at "love languages" too. Each of us has a love bucket that needs to be filled and it is up to us, as parents, to figure out what fills our children's bucket. It isn't easy! I swear my daughter's love bucket had a hole in it! Knowing this, we did what we could to make sure her bucket was always filled. Our sons on the other hand had an entirely different bucket we tended to.

Here is a link for anyone interested in the 5 Languages of Love:

Understanding the Five Love Languages

http://www.focusonthefamily.com/mar...anguage/understanding-the-five-love-languages

Not to jump off topic but I feel some may find this interesting to watch as well.. I just finished watching the the American Experience on Leopold and Loeb. Throughout I was reminded of the murder of little 2yr old James Bulger. Some of you may be familiar with that story. Venables and Thompson are even younger versions of what evil can be. I've always been intrigued by that case and how two 10 year olds could be so demoralizing/sadistic and as to why judicial system failed Tremendously! More than once. Below is a link to a very sad yet captivating documentary on the Bulger murder.

[video=youtu;upiTb6ZfJa0]http://youtu.be/upiTb6ZfJa0[/video]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to jump off topic but I feel some may find this interesting to watch as well.. I just finished watching the the American Experience on Leopold and Loeb. Throughout I was reminded of the murder of little 2yr old James Bulger. Some of you may be familiar with that story. Venables and Thompson are even younger versions of what evil can be. I've always been intrigued by that case and how two 10 year olds could be so demoralizing/sadistic and as to why judicial system failed Tremendously! More than once. Below is a link to a very sad yet captivating documentary on the Bulger murder.

I remember when that happened. I just can't with that case. That poor, poor, little, trusting boy. The picture from a surveillance camera of little James walking out of the mall holding Venables' hand haunts me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheGingerSnoop