VA VA - Richard 'Keith' Call, 20, & Cassandra Hailey, 18, Newport News, 10 April 1988

Very excited to have #ColonialParkwayMurders picked up to series @Oxygen, produced by XG Productions in Los Angeles and Texas Crew Productions in Austin. Keith Call and Cassandra Hailey's disappearance is part of the Colonial Parkway Murders.

I serve as Consulting Producer on the TV project. No, Kim Kardashian does not appear in our series.

Bill Thomas, Brother of Cathy Thomas, Colonial Parkway Murders

Oxygen Media Announces New Projects With Kim Kardashian, Mark Wahlberg And Others

#FBI #VirginiaStatePolice #truecrime
It is about time!!!! I'll be looking forward to this and maybe it will give the cases that one final push!

JNR:

Thanks so much. We are still waiting for an air date from the Oxygen Network on the television series covering the Colonial Parkway Murders.

I know LE searched the area at the time. But it was using personnel and not dogs if I recall. I wonder if anything could be found using cadaver dogs on the other side of the road. Such dogs have hit on body disposal sites many years after the murders.

do you know if any of the dna was able to be sent to ged match
Smile:

Our challenge with the DNA evidence in the Colonial Parkway Murders (including the disappearance of Keith Call and Cassandra Hailey) is that our evidence is 30-34 years old and somewhat degraded.

Thanks.

Cassandra Lee Hailey
cassandra_lee_hailey_1.jpg
cassandra_lee_hailey_2.jpg
cassandra_lee_hailey_3.jpg
cassandra_lee_hailey_6.jpg

Hailey, circa 1988; Call's 1982 Toyota Celica

• Missing Since04/10/1988
  • Missing From Newport News, Virginia
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/16/1969 (51)
  • Age 18 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'7, 135 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A long-sleeved, rust-colored jersey turtleneck with a white blouse over it, stone-washed jeans and a 1987 Tabb High School class ring.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Hailey's left ear is pierced three times; her right ear is pierced twice. Her nicknames include Sandra, Sandy, Missy and Cassie (also spelled "Cassy").
Details of Disappearance

Hailey left her family's residence in Grafton, Virginia on April 9, 1988. Richard "Keith" Call picked her up for their first date and they planned to spend the day together. The couple traveled in Call's red 1982 Toyota Celica. It was their first date together, and Hall's first date since he broke up with his girlfriend of nearly four years.

They were last seen at a party in Newport News, Virginia at 1:30 a.m. on April 10. Neither of them has been seen again. A photo of Call's car is posted with this case summary.

Call's vehicle was discovered abandoned at the York River Overlook on Colonial Parkway in Yorktown, Virginia at 7:00 a.m. on April 10, but it was not reported to authorities until 9:00 a.m. Nothing appeared to have been disturbed: the keys were on the driver's seat, and a watch and eyeglasses were on the dashboard.

Nearly all of the clothing Call was wearing, including his underwear, was also found in the back of the car, as were some of Hailey's clothes and her underwear. Her purse and Call's wallet were missing. The wallet had contained at least $20 in cash.

There was no trace of Hailey or Call at the overlook. Authorities initially believed they had gone swimming and drowned, but an extensive search of the river turned up no sign of them, the water temperature was in the forties the night of their disappearances, and Hailey was afraid of the water. Foul play is now suspected in both their cases.

The bodies of three other young couples, all of them college students, were found in areas located off the Colonial Parkway from 1986 through 1989. In all cases, their cars were found abandoned with most of their possessions intact inside, but only Hailey and Call's bodies have never been found.

The Colonial Parkway extends for 23 miles and runs through the following Virginia cities: Yorktown, Williamsburg and Jamestown. Authorities have long suspected that a serial killer stalked and killed in that region in the mid to late 1980s. They believe the perpetrator may have impersonated a law enforcement officer in order to approach his victims.

Both Call and Hailey were students at Christopher Newport College, now called Christopher Newport University, in 1988. Their cases remain unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Virginia State Police
  • 757-424-6850
  • Federal Bureau of Investigation
  • Norfolk, Virginia Office
  • 804-455-0100
Source Information

Richard Keith Call
richard_keith_call_2.jpg
richard_keith_call_3.jpg
richard_keith_call_5.jpg
richard_keith_call_6.jpg
richard_keith_call_8.jpg

Call, circa 1988

• Missing Since 04/10/1988
  • Missing From Newport News, Virginia
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 03/08/1968 (52)
  • Age 20 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'0, 150 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A gray and brown cardigan sweater, a white polo shirt, two-tone brown dress slacks and leather shoes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Light brown hair, blue eyes. Call goes by his middle name, Keith.
Details of Disappearance

Call went on a date with Cassandra Hailey on April 9, 1988. He picked her up at her Grafton, Virginia home and they planned to spend the day together. The couple traveled in Call's red 1982 Toyota Celica.

It was their first date together, and Hall's first date since he broke up with his girlfriend of nearly four years. They were last seen at a party in Newport News, Virginia at 1:30 a.m. on April 10. Neither of them has been seen again. A photo of Call's car is posted with this case summary.

Call's vehicle was discovered abandoned at the York River Overlook on Colonial Parkway in Yorktown, Virginia at 7:00 a.m. on April 10, but it was not reported to authorities until 9:00 a.m. Nothing appeared to have been disturbed: the keys were on the driver's seat, and a watch and eyeglasses were on the dashboard.

Nearly all of the clothing Call was wearing, including his underwear, was also found in the back of the car, as were some of Hailey's clothes and her underwear. Her purse and Call's wallet were missing. The wallet had contained at least $20 in cash.

There was no trace of Hailey or Call at the overlook. Authorities initially believed they had gone swimming and drowned, but an extensive search of the river turned up no sign of them, the water temperature was in the forties the night of their disappearances, and Hailey was afraid of the water. Foul play is now suspected in both their cases.

The bodies of three other young couples, all of them college students, were found in areas located off the Colonial Parkway from 1986 through 1989. In all cases, their cars were found abandoned with most of their possessions intact inside, but only Hailey and Call's bodies have never been found.

The Colonial Parkway extends for 23 miles and runs through the following Virginia cities: Yorktown, Williamsburg and Jamestown. Authorities have long suspected that a serial killer stalked and killed in that region in the mid to late 1980s. They believe the perpetrator may have impersonated a law enforcement officer in order to approach his victims.

Both Call and Hailey were students at Christopher Newport College, now called Christopher Newport University, in 1988. Their cases remain unsolved.
Investigating Agency
  • Virginia State Police
  • 757-424-6850
  • Federal Bureau of Investigation
  • Norfolk, Virginia Office
  • 804-455-0100
Source Information

The biggest question in my mind is, "Why did this serial killer stop?" Most serial killers don't stop until they get caught, die, or go to prison for another crime. Sometimes they stop because they think that police are on to them.

Or did the killer stop? Maybe he just moved or changed his M.O.

Were any possible suspects ever identified by police?

These double murders seem to have been pulled off pretty cleanly. The theory that the killer impersonated a law enforcement officer might be a good one. In fact, I wouldn't rule out an actual law enforcement officer.

The biggest question in my mind is, "Why did this serial killer stop?" Most serial killers don't stop until they get caught, die, or go to prison for another crime. Sometimes they stop because they think that police are on to them.

Or did the killer stop? Maybe he just moved or changed his M.O.

Were any possible suspects ever identified by police?

These double murders seem to have been pulled off pretty cleanly. The theory that the killer impersonated a law enforcement officer might be a good one. In fact, I wouldn't rule out an actual law enforcement officer.
The Golden State Killer (formerly known as the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker or EAR/ONS) I believe stopped when he married and had a family. I believe he committed only one more offense after his marriage and that was after a 3-5 year period. (And he was a former LE.) In the late 1980's, Gary Ridgeway (The Green River Killer) married his 3rd wife and started slowing down.

There have been reports from that era of persons trying to impersonate LE and pull people over. So much so that there were warnings for persons to wait and pull over in public areas like a gas station, convenience store or other such areas. In fact, Southland Corp. (7-11 stores) stated that if you pulled up in front of one of their stores and flashed your lights the clerks were instructed to call 911. (This was before cell phones.) Same theory abounds with the Hwy 29 Killer in the northern part of the state here in VA in the late 1980's and 1990's.

There is another theory that this was a CIA trainee or instructor as the CIA's field training facility, Camp Peary (AKA, The Farm) is very close by. And it all stopped when that person or persons was transferred from Camp Peary.
Camp Peary - Wikipedia

I've driven down the Colonial Parkway a few times and when I was stationed at Cheatem Annex, I would ride my bike the entire length of it on a regular basis. (It is rough ride on a bike due to the unique type of surface, so I prefer 28c tires when riding it.) Nice beautiful ride in the day, but I've never been down it at night and there are no street lights on it and no facilities like gas stations or stores.

I believe it was when I read the book, "A Special Kind of Evil: The Colonial Parkway Serial Killings" (Blaine Pardoe and Victoria Hester) that I learned that Richard Call tried to avoid the Parkway and especially after the first two sets of murders. Leading to the theory that Cassandra and Richard were possibly killed elsewhere and the car was dumped there. I know NONE of us wanted to be on it after dark after Thomas and Dowski were murdered.

Cathleen's brother, Bill Thomas (@billthom56), has probably heard all these theories and more. Cathleen, a 1981 grad of the Naval Academy, and I were in the area at the same time and my Naval career was starting about the time hers was either ending or well established. I didn't know her and to the best of my knowledge I might not have ever met her. She was at CINCLANTFLT about the same time I would have been making frequent visits there from another USN activity and I often wonder if we ever crossed paths. When I think of these murders I often wonder if just I passed her in one of the CINCLANTFLT passageways.

Colonial Parkway Murders (including the disappearance of Keith Call and Cassandra Hailey) is that our evidence is 30-34 years old and somewhat degraded.
do any family members of cassandra have dna on file or are registered with all of the popular dna sites

At long last, the "Lover's Lane Murders" true crime TV series covering the Colonial Parkway Murders is coming to the Oxygen Network

Note the new date: Friday, February 12 and Saturday, February 13 at 9:00 pm.

Two one hour episodes each night.

#LoversLaneMurders #ColonialParkwayMurders #Oxygen

Lovers' Lane Murders Sets Out to Solve the Infamous Colonial Parkway Murders - E! Online

Thanks.

wild theory if she was alive and on one of the dna sites

Respectfully, I think that is a real long shot. I know the Hailey and Call families pretty well. Sandy and Keith would not have done this to their families.

Thanks.

Proud to have worked as a Consulting Producer on "Lover's Lane Murders" true crime television series covering the unsolved Colonial Parkway Murders, making its debut on the Oxygen Network (NBC Universal) February 11-12, 2021.

Executive Produced by the incredible teams at XG Productions and Texas Crew Productions.

#LoversLaneMurders #ColonialParkwayMurders #truecrime #FBI #VirginiaStatePolice

www.oxygen.com/lovers-lane-murders/season-1/videos/lovers-lane-murders-premieres-february-11th

At long last, the "Lover's Lane Murders" true crime TV series covering the Colonial Parkway Murders is coming to the Oxygen Network

Note the new date: Friday, February 12 and Saturday, February 13 at 9:00 pm.

Two one hour episodes each night.

#LoversLaneMurders #ColonialParkwayMurders #Oxygen

Lovers' Lane Murders Sets Out to Solve the Infamous Colonial Parkway Murders - E! Online

Thanks.

Was not last night a complete repeat word for word of what was said the previous night? Maybe it was spiced together differently but same stuff. I FF the whole thing looking for something new- Wasted 5 min of my life-lol.

BTW-At least 3 out of 4 of them were committed by the same guy. He doesnt need a reason! Did Son of Sam "have a reason"? How many other teen or near to couples were killed from with their cars in the area in the last 30 years? Im betting 2 or 3. Of course it is the same guy.

I am not impressed with the Profiler AT ALL!

Thanks everyone for watching the new "Lovers Lane Murders" series on the Colonial Parkway Murders on Oxygen. The four-part true crime series is running now.

You can also watch the four-part series on the free Oxygen app: www.oxygen.com/lovers-lane-murders

We will be starting an in-depth series starting Monday, Feb 15 on on the Colonial Parkway Murders on our true crime podcast, "Mind Over Murder." anchor.fm/william-thomas48

New article on the Colonial Parkway Murders which appeared in the Daily Press and Virginia Gazette.

35 years later, victims’ families in Colonial Parkway Murders still searching for answers, hope DNA advances will solve case

35 years later, victims’ families in Colonial Parkway Murders still searching for answers, hope DNA advances will solve case

We are also covering the case on our "Mind Over Murder" podcast:

Mind Over Murder Episode 106: New Leads for Longtime Suspects in the Colonial Parkway Murders?

New Leads for Longtime Suspects in the Colonial Parkway Murders?

Thanks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge