VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

Someone earlier mentioned Scott was expecting house guests for the MLK Holiday. Maybe these guests arrived with his sister to find Scott in "cardiac arrest."

Sloan suggested it was sister, gf + 2 unknowns. It is interesting that the four arrived at the same time or all four were present when 911 was called.

I had to google what the white power symbol would be. It does include both hands with the okay sign so I think you're correct, Ms Betty. If so, that's an odd photo to select for the video, jmho.

Hi everyone! Just popping in to shut a few things down here and pose a few questions.

1. "the white power sign" is not a white power sign as people are suggesting. I appreciate everyone looking for the small details, but this is a stretch and going too far. So lets stop that discuss as it will go nowhere.

2. The 4 people on arrival. I've mentioned this before... it's safe to assume it was his sister and her friends. Nonetheless, there is no suspicion of involvement whatsoever with those individuals and as tempting as it is to keep thinking about that<modsnip>

3. The closeted theory. <modsnip> I'm open to all possibilities as you never know and the truth will always reveal itself but in my experience and in my opinion, this will never check out and there are other avenues that make more sense to go down.

Scott's attack was personal. Someone went into his apartment that day with the pure evil intent to take his life. This was a premeditated killing to the extent that the killer brought bleach (IMO for multiple reasons). I think the killer knew Scott and therefore, it was an emotional killing rather than a hit-man type job, IMO.

I wish ACPD would release more footage, there are a ton of cameras on the route the POI walked/ran- which makes me wonder why they only released the footage they did. I know ACPD is working hard on this case so I am trying my best not to be critical of them and their investigation. Although at times it can be frustrating with little answers. Has anyone on here worked for law enforcement? If so, could you shed any light on why ACPD is being so tight lipped? and what the advantage of waiting a year to release footage would be? I do understand the need to keep certain information under wraps as it is vital to an investigation but does there come a time when keeping that information no longer helps but hinders the investigation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! Just popping in to shut a few things down here and pose a few questions.

1. "the white power sign" is not a white power sign as people are suggesting. I appreciate everyone looking for the small details, but this is a stretch and going too far. So lets stop that discuss as it will go nowhere.

2. The 4 people on arrival. I've mentioned this before... it's safe to assume it was his sister and her friends. Nonetheless, there is no suspicion of involvement whatsoever with those individuals and as tempting as it is to keep thinking about that- I promise it's irrelevant in this investigation.

3. The closeted theory. As someone who personally knew Scott, there is just no way this theory will check out. I'm open to all possibilities as you never know and the truth will always reveal itself but in my experience and in my opinion, this will never check out and there are other avenues that make more sense to go down.

Scott's attack was personal. Someone went into his apartment that day with the pure evil intent to take his life. This was a premeditated killing to the extent that the killer brought bleach (IMO for multiple reasons). I think the killer knew Scott and therefore, it was an emotional killing rather than a hit-man type job, IMO.

I wish ACPD would release more footage, there are a ton of cameras on the route the POI walked/ran- which makes me wonder why they only released the footage they did. I know ACPD is working hard on this case so I am trying my best not to be critical of them and their investigation. Although at times it can be frustrating with little answers. Has anyone on here worked for law enforcement? If so, could you shed any light on why ACPD is being so tight lipped? and what the advantage of waiting a year to release footage would be? I do understand the need to keep certain information under wraps as it is vital to an investigation but does there come a time when keeping that information no longer helps but hinders the investigation?
Thank you for your input. <modsnip>

2. The 4 people on arrival. I've mentioned this before... it's safe to assume it was his sister and her friends. Nonetheless, there is no suspicion of involvement whatsoever with those individuals and as tempting as it is to keep thinking about that- <modsnip>

3. The closeted theory.<modsnip> I'm open to all possibilities as you never know and the truth will always reveal itself but in my experience and in my opinion, this will never check out and there are other avenues that make more sense to go down.

May I extend sincere apologies if anyone was harmed by my comments. It was never my intentions to cast aspersions upon this fine young gentleman.

Often if a motive is developed, potential suspects may be determined.
Perhaps Scott won a coveted position within the company that enraged another employee to become brutally revengeful.
Maybe he was awarded a meaningful, prestigious award while at college that someone has been seething over for years.

Most here are not law enforcement; however, we're allowed, within reason and TOS guidelines, to speculate and opine about crimes worldwide.

I'll tag a former PO as perhaps they can assist.

@OldCop Do you have free time to spare in order to review this murder? TIA

May Scott Rest in Heavenly Peace

MOD REMINDER

Websleuths welcomes all members to discuss the cases presented here. If someone has inside information about the case and/or the victim, and would like to share it here without following the TOS that requires substantiating MSM links to verify facts, then they must apply to become Verified Insider. Otherwise, such posts stating info that does not include published links regarding the victim/case may be removed. Websleuths is a fact-based discussion forum. If you have inside info and would like to share it on Websleuths, you must be approved as a Verified Insider. The process is described here:
Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters
We encourage anyone who would like to participate on the thread by sharing inside info without providing links to apply.

This was solved from looking at the phone records, emails, messages etc. We know nothing about Scott's last activities or anything about the crime scene.

Washington Plaza Hotel I thought it was at. It was a lesbian woman and her girlfriend who killed the guy. He was hooking up off one of the apps.

I know he was married and I thought I read he left behind a young daughter.

And for what? For a little bit of money. They print more money everyday!

2. The 4 people on arrival. I've mentioned this before... it's safe to assume it was his sister and her friends. Nonetheless, there is no suspicion of involvement whatsoever with those individuals and as tempting as it is to keep thinking about that<modsnip>

3. The closeted theory. <modsnip> I'm open to all possibilities as you never know and the truth will always reveal itself but in my experience and in my opinion, this will never check out and there are other avenues that make more sense to go down.

I very much doubt they have been able to determine a motive. If they can’t determine the cause they will never fully explain the effect.

As far as police procedures in a murder investigation I have no idea. But I do agree. Someone somewhere knows who this fella is by the images posted here. Maybe not consciously, but they do. Maybe if they say him from a few more angles they’d realize who they are. I could understand someone having a suspicion they feel is not strong enough to report to LE, but if they saw a few more clips; they’d pick up the phone.

I’m curious, @JusticeforScott

1) what’s your theory on multiple reasons for bringing bleach?

are you thinking crime scene clean up plus clean up evidence he had been there before?

2) do you have a theory on the weapon or cause of death?
It’s all been so vague!

1) The killer could not have brought bleach with them but IMO I find it unlikely they didn't. IMO, the POI obviously came very prepared and brought a backpack with them- that likely contained clean up tools, or tools to carry out the intended crime, or both. I think bleach could have been in the backpack or in the water bottle shown on the side pocket of the POI's backpack in the pictures released. I think anyone that plans a murder would come with the clean up materials they needed versus just hoping to find it at the victims house. Also, with the dispatch audio referring to the smell of bleach being the apartment (Dispatch audio: Home where Arlington man murdered smelled of bleach), IMO is more evidence that the killer came prepared and intended to clean up any evidence of the crime.

2) As for weapons and cause of death- if you live in the area there are definitely a ton of rumors that have gone around that speculate the cause of death and murder weapon. I will not share those nor disclose any of that information though. I know it has all been very vague from LE, but I believe they do not want that information to be known to the public as it might be vital to their investigation (that would be my only guess as to why they have been vague). That's one reason why I was asking earlier about whether there comes a time that keeping certain information hinders an investigation instead of helping it?

@JusticeforScott, I believe that there does come a time when LE can hinder the investigation by withholding the majority of info.

Specifically the time stamp on the video.
There is too little information from the footage that was released. <modsnip>

This day seemed like it was not a normal schedule and not a normal day for Scott. Moo
  • It seems likely Scott was normally at work during the day on a Friday.
  • It seems like there were a bunch of people in and out of the apartment that day that normally weren’t there.
  • How did the perpetrator know Scott would be alone long enough to be killed? Possibilities….
    • Scott had set up a meet up that the perpetrator knew he would be alone for. (Eg secret hook up scenario)
      • Did APD find records on phone but still cannot identify or find perpetrator? This is one of the only explanations that makes sense to me.
    • Perpetrator knew Scott’s plans and sister’s plans (because perp knows at least one of them well or perp is close to someone who knows them well and/ or perp follows them on social media if they were sharing their plans for that day)
      • If the perp knew them or someone close to them, why haven’t they been identified or arrested yet?
      • It still seems pretty risky to act at a time when there are more than the usual people around. Did the perp feel pressure to act then to make sure someone had an alibi?
      • Even if only known to the deceased, there would be phone or app records unless possibly this is someone he worked with, talked to at the gym, or met at bar the night before and told plans.
    • Perpetrator staked out the apartment and just took a chance without knowing them or knowing anyone close to them.
      • This seems unlikely for someone who took the time to disguise themselves and clean with bleach - a pretty risky move on such an unpredictable day.
      • Again, I only see making this risky move if there was a time factor - very recent triggering event or protecting an alibi for someone.
      • All JMO

This day seemed like it was not a normal schedule and not a normal day for Scott. Moo
  • How did the perpetrator know Scott would be alone long enough to be killed? Possibilities….
    • Scott had set up a meet up that the perpetrator knew he would be alone for. (Eg secret hook up scenario)
      • Did APD find records on phone but still cannot identify or find perpetrator? This is one of the only explanations that makes sense to me.
    • Perpetrator knew Scott’s plans and sister’s plans (because perp knows at least one of them well or perp is close to someone who knows them well and/ or perp follows them on social media if they were sharing their plans for that day)
      • If the perp knew them or someone close to them, why haven’t they been identified or arrested yet?
      • It still seems pretty risky to act at a time when there are more than the usual people around. Did the perp feel pressure to act then to make sure someone had an alibi?
      • Even if only known to the deceased, there would be phone or app records unless possibly this is someone he worked with, talked to at the gym, or met at bar the night before and told plans.
    • Perpetrator staked out the apartment and just took a chance without knowing them or knowing anyone close to them.
      • This seems unlikely for someone who took the time to disguise themselves and clean with bleach - a pretty risky move on such an unpredictable day.
      • Again, I only see making this risky move if there was a time factor - very recent triggering event or protecting an alibi for someone.
      • All JMO

These are some really good questions. To add to this:

-Did his sister also work from home on occasion? May she have been the target, or possibly were they both targeted? Or did the perp just not care if she was there or not? I don't think this is the case, just wondering about it. I agree that the choice of time is risky due to having a roommate/friends around, and I think it is critical that LE understands how the perp avoided them.

-What time did his sister leave the apartment relative to the time the crime occurred? Did they see her leave and then enter the building soon after? On the flip side, had Scott recently returned from somewhere and the perp saw him enter or know he was returning? Did Scott typically have something he did on Friday afternoon outside of the building like getting lunch or going to the gym?

-While I agree staking the building out is not only unlikely for the reasons you stated, I also think it would be difficult to do as the exits are far enough apart that it is pretty much impossible to watch them all at once. But if the perp knew Scott was returning from a specific location, it would be much easier to know when he got home as you could at the least make a good guess of what side of the building to watch.

IMO even if they were staking the building out, this person had information about who was going to be in the apartment at that time.

Just heard about this sad tragedy and thought I'd just voice my opinion and some observations.

I think this person knew Scott and knew him well
This person knew Scott was home
This person didn't walk in the front door
This person knew the cameras were not working
This person knew his sister was at work
This person knew what Scott's plans were for the day

I think once they got into the building they found a place to change with the extra clothes in the backpack, left the backpack somewhere and then went to Scott's apartment. I don't see Scott opening the door to anyone he knew wearing those type of clothes unless they have a habit of dressing up like an assassin. I find it interesting that Scott was found on the bed. IMO I think this person made a surprise visit and got Scott in a compromising situation and slit his throat. This is probably why Scott was unable to scream but still had enough life in him to struggle for a bit which would explain the cuts on his hands. The weapon in this case a knife could have been hidden under the mattress on a previous occasion. There would be no reason to use bleach unless you were leaving behind your DNA. This person was covered to their eye balls. They even had what looked to be Velcro straps around their ankles. A small bottle of bleach could easily been carried in with them. I suspect the knife was also cleaned with bleach and taken with them upon leaving. I'm sure that the police know where the bleach was used. This was a very well thought out killing. I doubt this person had a cellphone with them. I think whoever did this was also running behind schedule because of how they were running after leaving the scene. Of course this is just my opinion based on what little is known.

One of the things I guess I never mentioned on here was there was a directory machine installed in the front vestibule where you could search someone’s apartment by name. I know residents had complained about it when this happened, but I never checked if they removed it or turned off or changed how it worked afterwards. So in theory someone could just find anyone’s apartment if they knew the name and wouldn’t even need to be familiar with the building or where Scott lived.

Even if the apartment was in his sisters name the killer would still know what room he was in. I def would not like that type of info posted.

I'm sitting here planning on killing someone and I'm trying to think of a good reason to bring some bleach. I plan on covering myself from head to toe including gloves and even seal off my wrist and ankles. I'll also be wearing a balaclava just in case I sneeze. There is no reason at all to bring bleach unless you know ahead of time that you are going to leave DNA.

Just heard about this sad tragedy and thought I'd just voice my opinion and some observations.

Implicating intimant knowledge of the victim. Indeed. This killing was no accident or mistake, JMHO.
I think once they got into the building they found a place to change with the extra clothes in the backpack, left the backpack somewhere and then went to Scott's apartment. I don't see Scott opening the door to anyone he knew wearing those type of clothes unless they have a habit of dressing up like an assassin.
Killer changes clothing before approaching Scott's door. Can concur w this theory.
I find it interesting that Scott was found on the bed.
Reckon this is a sexual oriented crime?
IMO I think this person made a visit and got Scott in a compromising situation and slit his throat. This is probably why Scott was unable to scream but still had enough life in him to struggle for a bit which would explain the cuts on his hands.
Was killer male or female? Must have been extremely angry for something Scott allegedly did in order for his death to call for the swift slit?
The weapon in this case a knife could have been hidden under the mattress on a previous occasion.
In this scenario, why doesn't killer secret sharp knife within clothing currently wearing? Hide a knife just to return to use it viciously at later date and time? Questionable.
There would be no reason to use bleach unless you were leaving behind your DNA. This person was covered to their eye balls.
Colorful imagery!
They even had what looked to be Velcro straps around their ankles.
Ah, ha! Missed noting straps at ankles and wrists.
A small bottle of bleach could easily been carried in with them. I suspect the knife was also cleaned with bleach and taken with them upon leaving. I'm sure that the police know where the bleach was used. This was a very well thought out killing. I doubt this person had a cellphone with them. I think whoever did this was also running behind schedule because of how they were running after leaving the scene.
Or making mad dash out of there before being discovered.
Of course this is just my opinion based on what little is known.

I would like some feedback to see if anyone thinks the heel of this show marked unknown could be a match for the suspects. Unfortunately what you are seeing is all that it showing in the photo of this shoe which looks to be the heel part. I'm sorry about the extreme cropping but I don't want to compromise anyone with showing more. I have another pic that shows the other shoe which is laying next to the other and it appears to be laying upside down. There is a dark smudge on the underneath near the heel like in the suspects pic. I understand that this dark spot on the suspects shoe could be a glitch or it could be something but because of the pixelization it's made to appear bigger and more square than it is. I cropped the suspects shoe in an attempt to show it at the same angle as much as possible and to try and show the same amount that is in the other photo. I will post the other shoe but I have to crop it a bit more.

I included the second photo.

Attachments

• unknown2.jpg
    unknown2.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 60
  • suspect2.jpg
    suspect2.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 58
  • unknown3.jpg
    unknown3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 63
  • suspect1.jpg
    suspect1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 443

I think once they got into the building they found a place to change with the extra clothes in the backpack, left the backpack somewhere and then went to Scott's apartment. I don't see Scott opening the door to anyone he knew wearing those type of clothes unless they have a habit of dressing up like an assassin.

I find it interesting that Scott was found on the bed. IMO I think this person made a visit and got Scott in a compromising situation and slit his throat. This is probably why Scott was unable to scream but still had enough life in him to struggle for a bit which would explain the cuts on his hands. The weapon in this case a knife could have been hidden under the mattress on a previous occasion.
There would be no reason to use bleach unless you were leaving behind your DNA. This person was covered to their eye balls. They even had what looked to be Velcro straps around their ankles. A small bottle of bleach could easily been carried in with them. I suspect the knife was also cleaned with bleach and taken with them upon leaving. I'm sure that the police know where the bleach was used. This was a very well thought out killing. I doubt this person had a cellphone with them. I think whoever did this was also running behind schedule because of how they were running after leaving the scene. Of course this is just my opinion based on what little is known.

Agreed on the bleach. Could have been carried in a water bottle. You’re right about the knife. Depending on who and what the circumstances could have been brought with them or if it was someone who was at his apartment a lot it could have been left there. The perp looks like a guy to me but I’d say there is a chance it’s a girl. The bedroom thing still seems odd. Someone made a point to let LE know the last place Scott seen was in his room then he ends up being killed in there. What if LE is wrong about this guy and he had nothing to do with it.

I would like some feedback to see if anyone thinks the heel of this show marked unknown could be a match for the suspects. Unfortunately what you are seeing is all that it showing in the photo of this shoe which looks to be the heel part. I'm sorry about the extreme cropping but I don't want to compromise anyone with showing more. I have another pic that shows the other shoe which is laying next to the other and it appears to be laying upside down. There is a dark smudge on the underneath near the heel like in the suspects pic. I understand that this dark spot on the suspects shoe could be a glitch or it could be something but because of the pixelization it's made to appear bigger and more square than it is. I cropped the suspects shoe in an attempt to show it at the same angle as much as possible and to try and show the same amount that is in the other photo. I will post the other shoe but I have to crop it a bit more.

I included the second photo.
I’m really having trouble viewing your pics and I am generally not great at visual identification. If you think you’ve got something, might as well send it in to the Arlington PD to take a look. I hope you are onto something. This has been too long. :(

Agreed on the bleach. Could have been carried in a water bottle. You’re right about the knife. Depending on who and what the circumstances could have been brought with them or if it was someone who was at his apartment a lot it could have been left there. The perp looks like a guy to me but I’d say there is a chance it’s a girl. The bedroom thing still seems odd. Someone made a point to let LE know the last place Scott seen was in his room then he ends up being killed in there. What if LE is wrong about this guy and he had nothing to do with it.

"What if LE is wrong about this guy and he had nothing to do with it"

I'm attempting to follow your clues.

It appears you've located a different person who also owns the same shoes as seen in LEO releases of POI and this is why you're asking if LEO could have pegged the wrong person.

There being a different perpetrator is difficult to say based on the stringent timeline. The unknown shoe wearer must have a v similar schedule as the assumed POI.

Further, although owning same shoes as POI, the unknown person was not captured on CCTV.

Unfortunately, att, as for the shoe images, I'm working from my ph as the new Chromebook is already sent for repairs. I'll inspect them again if the Chromebook is returned in working condition. Thank you for sharing interest in Scott's murder.

When I look at the images you have provided of shoes of an unknown person they don't look like the shoe soles of the POI. I don't see a black diagonal reinforced area to the white sole of the POI's shoes. Singling out an individual because the shoes they are wearing are black with white soles means several hundred thousand people who own shoes like that, me included, are now considered POI's? If you think this person could be a valid POI, please advise LE and let them do the investigation.

About a knife being used in the murder. If it was a knife, we have no idea if it was a kitchen knife with a serrated blade or a wide blade like a chef's knife. If it was the perp's knife it could be a drop point, a dagger or a Bowie knife. After guns, knives are the next cause of death. Since many knife murders are domestic in nature, kitchen knives rank high in cutting instruments. All those different knife blades leave different entry wounds. Until LE release the type of injuries inflicted on SR we can only speculate on cause of death.

If the suspect(s) attempted to clean the crime scene I would presume a knife (if that was the murder weapon) would also be cleaned. If bleach was used to clean the crime scene, most homes have bleach as a cleaning agent in their homes so it's unlikely the perp brought their own. Cleaning up could have been as simple as taking a shower to clean up residual blood spatter on their own person.

I initially wondered if the POI was a female but after reviewing the video umpteen times I believe it is male. I still wonder if the funny little hitch in his walk is because he's injured. An up close and personal murder can inflict injuries on the killer, especially if the attack involved close contact. Because SR was found in his bedroom the obvious place a person considers the location of death is the bed but that's not necessarily so. If a person was killed in their bed especially if their death was a violent one it would be almost impossible to clean up, IMO.

It's kind of unusual that there is absolutely no follow ups to this murder investigation since January of this year. I can't find one news outlet with an update. I don't know if that means the investigation has run out of steam or they are building a case against a likely suspect.

It must be very frustrating for the family to see that Scott's murder appears to be old news now. However, the fact that they remain quiet on the subject makes me hopeful it's because the investigation is making inroads. I have heard rumours about this murder, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back