VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

Starting to re-read earlier posts now, but looking at the surveillance photos of the perp, it looks like a woman to me. Maybe this has been discussed and dismissed before, but right now that’s what I see.

Very “hippy” for a male, in my book.
Some of us had earlier speculated that it could be a female because of the poi's buttock roundness, but some males who play hockey etc tend to have broader bottoms, Upper arms well toned it seems arms held wide like a piano player,imo, speculation.
1699986489470.png
1699986580549.png
1699986779552.png

Shoes look way too long to me. "Pigeon-toed" walk is likely due to the shoes being too long (as well as maybe being a purposeful "misdirect" on the part of the perp).

In my mind, there is no question that this person went to the apartment with the clear intent to murder SR.

Why?????

Dotr, it seems to me like the "wide arm" posture could be caused by the straps of the backpack. If you look at the front of the person, the straps are pretty wide. All in all, I get the feeling that this "get-up" -was intended to cover every inch of the person, sans eyes, and that it accomplished that, but that it was also pretty restricting.

Also, looking at the "front" photo, look at the hands. Considering gloves and hoody, the hands look as if they're actually quite small underneath it all. Again here, I'm getting the idea that this may be a female. It also adds to the idea that every inch had to be covered. This was a very careful killer.

And: The backpack looks full. I wonder what was in it? "Kill kit"? Maybe something that was taken from SR's apartment?

Sorry for the power posting, but I just have to think: Considering some recent cases (Missy Bevers, Liz Barraza, and this one) I have to really wonder why we even bother with security cameras. It seems like they're only helpful if the person isn't trying to disguise himself.

Our victim was found in his own bed. How did he get there?

The suspect had an element of surprise in their favor in that SR did not expect to die that day.

If SR invited this person, then the attack came when SR was in a vulnerable, unsuspecting position, such as, standing in the entryway when he's threatened, then runs to the safety of his bedroom before being overcome or overpowered. Was he immediately sprayed with Mace? In some manner, this murderer was able to gain control and Scott was not a little guy.

How did the killer escape without bleached spots appearing on their black clothes unless they were undressed?

It'll the 3rd painful holiday season without their son. Parents lives flipped 180. I hope his loved ones feel the music of Scott whispering to them that all is well with his soul.

I will review the earlier posts to look for information that listed about
In the DC area, it is common for employers to allow staff members to telework.
I certainly don’t know this about SR specifically, but I think in this day and age most people of any stripe, even young, fit men, don’t open the door sans looking out the peephole.
IMO (wondering) if SR or his sister left the door unlocked for a friend or relative that was coming into town that day. It was leading into a 3 day weekend.

The AVA building was a “secure” one …or that’s what everyone thought. Mid twenty year olds might leave the door unlocked. I’ve done it.

My opinion is that the murderer knew Scott and planned to settle a score of some type. No bleach is seen on the black outfit because the perp had slipped those black clothes off & was in street clothes. After the murder, the black clothing was put back on. IMO. Might have been stashed in a stair well.

Unfortunately, I still leave my front door unlocked if someone is coming over.
People feel a sense of safety in certain neighborhoods.

Guys that have well formed glutes engage in sports like skating, field hockey, volleyball, rock climbing and cycling. They aren't looking to pack on the muscle everywhere. I wondered if this guy (and I do believe the person is male) was a messenger. When I worked for the government we used bicycle messengers all the time because they were quicker than any other type of messenger service. They could go places vehicles can't go and don't worry about parking.

We have to remember that Scott was found in bed when his sister and her friends returned to the apartment. When he didn't respond, they initially thought he'd had a cardiac event and called 911. The smell of bleach in the condo, though, suggests to me that the killer tried to clean up the scene and deposited Scott in the bed to delay discovery of a crime. So what was the bleach used for? Cleaning up blood? Semen? DNA? I have a few questions regarding the actions of the sister and her companions. If you came home and thought your brother had experienced a cardiac event wouldn't you at least try to perform CPR?

It's frustrating that we don't know the COD yet his death is classified as murder. Was a weapon used? Knife, gun, blunt object? Each of those would likely show evidence of injury. So was it a drug overdose and if so did it look like it was taken under duress?

I believe clues to Scott's life could provide us with more answers which unfortunately haven't been shared by family or LE.

Scott was VP of Sigma Chi fraternity at Radford. I wondered if someone held a grudge if they weren't allowed to rush or whatnot. Then, I realized it was 2.5 yrs since SR graduated so maybe it's not a long held grudge since college days.

I want to say this crime was heavily premeditated but how the killer got control over SR baffles due to the size difference. Wouldn't his dead weight be too much for one person to lift onto a bed?

His sister who was his roommate likely freaked out and didn't know what to say to dispatch. Dispatch mentioned bloody neck and hands so SR had a slight opp to fight back, right?

Someone who regularly cycles or recently played ice hockey would certainly have well developed strength in their legs. Does moving a body require upper chest and arm strength? idk

Scott was VP of Sigma Chi fraternity at Radford. I wondered if someone held a grudge if they weren't allowed to rush or whatnot. Then, I realized it was 2.5 yrs since SR graduated so maybe it's not a long held grudge since college days.

I want to say this crime was heavily premeditated but how the killer got control over SR baffles due to the size difference. Wouldn't his dead weight be too much for one person to lift onto a bed?

His sister who was his roommate likely freaked out and didn't know what to say to dispatch. Dispatch mentioned bloody neck and hands so SR had a slight opp to fight back, right?

Someone who regularly cycles or recently played ice hockey would certainly have well developed strength in their legs. Does moving a body require upper chest and arm strength? idk
I do not understand why LE has not shared more information. IMO, I have wondered if the perp had a taser that Zapped Scott.

Toeing in, toed-in, Pigeon toed; could also be a recent leg injury or post surgery.

I don’t know how a person can fake that type of gait.

I do not understand why LE has not shared more information. IMO, I have wondered if the perp had a taser that Zapped Scott.

Toeing in, toed-in, Pigeon toed; could also be a recent leg injury or post surgery.

I don’t know how a person can fake that type of gait.

We've discussed gait faults for ages on the Missy Bever's threads.

I have spine problems, hip problems, arthritis, old injuries. When I get out of the car in cold weather -- I walk very much like Missy Bever's murderer.

I sincerely thank God for a really good Physical Therapist. I learned lots about the mechanics of walking from my PT and the PT Aides in training there. Because of the student PT Aides, I probably heard more explanation of my asymmetrical joints & how that shows up during walking.

imho, gait can be faked for many of us. Wouldn't always fool a physical therapist, because they are trained to recognize the source of a limb/gait fault in order to improve the person's mechanics.

Decide to use toeing-in as part of your disguise? Select your too-big shoes, gather a few pointy pebbles, maybe tire weights. Rearrange pebbles in those big shoes until you've practiced your new 'disguise gait.'

If you've ever had a joint taped for support or due to injury? Practice taping feet/ankles until you figure out a way that disguises your gait.

imho, a motivated person could fool many, many people -- but probably not a good PT.

And -- several posters on the Missy Bever's threads feel that the gait of Missy Bever's killer indicates a person who had some type of joint surgery or even injury -- but did not do the PT rehabilitation needed.

jmho ymmv lrr

BSBM: “Select your too-big shoes…”

Laughing, the first thing I thought of on seeing the gait was this. The gait certainly could be due to other things, but considering that everything else about the killer was carefully disguised with clothing, it would make sense that he/she selected footware accordingly. Could be any number of things, but this is where I’m placing my bets right now regarding the gait versus an injury or other issue.

Last edited:
Going back and looking at the photo this morning, I note again that the hands seem awfully small. I’m usually one who tends to err on the side of the perp being a man in these brutal, violent murders, but in this case I wonder. The “hippy-ness”; the small hands. (And while I do think that this killer went to great lengths to disguise himself, I just can’t go as far as to think he tried very hard to make himself look like a woman.)

I just don’t know about this case. This is one prepared killer. And LE can’t find anyone in his life who hates him this much? Needs revenge this much? In my book, this is a very targeted, well-planned elimination of someone. Witness?

Also, I wonder if LE has any idea if he was tortured at all.

Last edited:
No new info, but didn't see this Aug. 2023 article had been posted.

A $50,000 reward is being offered by Scott's family for information leading to an arrest and conviction of the suspect or suspects involved in Scott’s homicide.

08/23/2023 8:05 a.m.

LE is certainly keeping things close to the vest in this case. To reiterate what others have said previously, it’s hard to understand why they waited so long to release the footage of the suspect in the first place. One can only hope they know more than they’re letting on and are waiting on someone to slip up somehow, but, if so, they’re doing a great job making the public believe they have no leads. Hoping Scott and his family get some semblance of justice this year!

MOO.

I just come back to this thread every few months to see if anything new has come up and it is still nothing. Just shocking how little there really is.

The few videos that have been posted all reference my posts here, and there is even a podcast episode of "Key To The Case" that references it as well. It's pretty telling of how limited available information is when posts on this website of my experience of living in that building are a talking point. If something like Unsolved Mysteries" ever covers this, I'm half expecting them to quote me as well.

IMO (wondering) if SR or his sister left the door unlocked for a friend or relative that was coming into town that day. It was leading into a 3 day weekend.

The AVA building was a “secure” one …or that’s what everyone thought. Mid twenty year olds might leave the door unlocked. I’ve done it.
I have posted here about it, but getting into the building was easy for anyone and not that secure. I actually had an issue in a different nearby Avalon building about two years before this case where a drunk guy mistakenly just walked in through my apartment door because I hadn't locked it. I kicked him out and he passed out on the ground outside my door before I called for help, but before that happened, I was very much not at all cautious about locking my door as mid-20 year old myself.

Why did the killer (allegedly) stay around to clean up the crime scene? To remove evidence, their DNA, etc?
Sounds like the killer (allegedly one killer according to video) felt comfortable enough at the apartment, maybe? How long would killer have been at the apartment, and no one heard anything? moo

Surveillance video of person of interest​

The Arlington County Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance identifying a person of interest captured in surveillance video as they continue to investigate a homicide that occurred on January 17, 2020. Case # 2020-01170229. Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to contact the Arlington County Police Department’s Homicide/Robbery Unit at 703-228-4180 or ACPDTipline@arlingtonva.us.

Some of us had earlier speculated that it could be a female because of the poi's buttock roundness, but some males who play hockey etc tend to have broader bottoms, Upper arms well toned it seems arms held wide like a piano player,imo, speculation.
View attachment 460864
View attachment 460866
View attachment 460868

Agreed about female. Seeing hips though smaller in size ... lean body type, hips are seen. Not seeing an athletic body type, the calf look small but that may not matter.

1710550641025.png

Still word from the media, LE or anyone else. Not even crickets. Makes me think LE is completely lost at this point. And to some degree I get it. He's suspicious and going into the building about the time of death. But who is to say another tenant in the building didn't murder Scott and this guy is in the wrong place at the wrong time. LE can't place him at the crime scene, ie., the room.

Wow! I've learned much more from this video. The narrator shows how he was able to enter the building and even get on the elevator to the floor. I am now wondering how the killer got into the apartment. I would have thought Scott would have looked through a peep hole before opening the door. If the killer knew how to get in the building to the apartment, then the killer had to have come up with a way to get in the apartment.
What are your thoughts on Scott's case these days? Your post makes me think Scott may not have planned this visit; that it was a ruse.

If Scott was tricked into opening the door, even though the crime seems personal, maybe it's something else instead. Nothing was taken so it wasn't a burglary gone wrong. Well, we don't know if anything was taken because the Police won't tell us anything.

FEB 20, 2024
A grim anniversary quietly passed last month: four years since the still-unsolved murder of Scott Ratigan. < >

A year later, police released video and images of a “person of interest” in the case. The person had their face covered as they walked down Ballston sidewalks

Four years after unsolved Ballston murder, no new details from police | ARLnow.com

Still word from the media, LE or anyone else. Not even crickets. Makes me think LE is completely lost at this point. And to some degree I get it. He's suspicious and going into the building about the time of death. But who is to say another tenant in the building didn't murder Scott and this guy is in the wrong place at the wrong time. LE can't place him at the crime scene, ie., the room.
It is possible LE possesses more footage, maybe from inside the building. I hope so. LE must be highly confident in the release of this particular POI or else whoever this is would have a chance for a lawsuit against them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6
Back