VA VA - Spc. Harry Johnson, 26, Colonial Heights, 23 Nov 1997

Bumping. This case is now over 15 years old. Has anyone seen any updates?

Hi - I wanted to provide an update on my dad's case. I was able to call the police department and speak with the officer who was on the case (now the police chief) in order to get a copy of the police report. Lots of information was included as well as names. From what I was able to gather and the additional online research I was able to do on the individuals mentioned in the report, it appears that my dad was involved in a back and forth with a soldier on base who was a leader of a gang in that city. Apparently my dad was making jokes about the guy being in a gang and their hand signals. That is what led to his murder.

Thank you all so much for continuing to bump my dad's case. While there's no 100% evidence that this guy did it, I do feel a great deal of closure.

-Kashara

Hi - I wanted to provide an update on my dad's case. I was able to call the police department and speak with the officer who was on the case (now the police chief) in order to get a copy of the police report. Lots of information was included as well as names. From what I was able to gather and the additional online research I was able to do on the individuals mentioned in the report, it appears that my dad was involved in a back and forth with a soldier on base who was a leader of a gang in that city. Apparently my dad was making jokes about the guy being in a gang and their hand signals. That is what led to his murder.

Thank you all so much for continuing to bump my dad's case. While there's no 100% evidence that this guy did it, I do feel a great deal of closure.

-Kashara

Hi @kjohnson1 , congrats on finding out so much, and enough to feel closure. Knowing what happend versus not knowing at all will make a huge difference to you and to everyone involved. Your father gave you life and sadly he never saw you grow up ~ use it well.

Blessings :)

@kjohnson1 well ima going to put this out there soldiers aren't suppose to harm our brothers and sisters Pfc Smith was behind the murder this dude had Sgt's following him like a god. Will bet his name came up in that report

@kjohnson1 well ima going to put this out there soldiers aren't suppose to harm our brothers and sisters Pfc Smith was behind the murder this dude had Sgt's following him like a god. Will bet his name came up in that report

You're right and for anyone interested, I actually found an article that I'm 99% sure about him from 2005.

Soldier gets 99 years for robberies

Here are some links which discuss the Jerome A. Smith conviction for armed robbery in Texas.

Smith was accused of being the leader of a criminal street gang in Killeen known as the Gangster Disciples (GD), based in Chicago.

In his closing argument, prosecutor Mark Kimball stated that the GD was a vast criminal organization in which the members tried to insulate their leaders.

But, Kimball said, people are responsible for the conduct of one another.

"The leader of a gang is responsible for the criminal activity in a gang," Kimball said.

Smith was sentenced to 99 years in prison.

His appeal was turned down.

LINKS:

Hood CID agent testifies Smith is gang leader

Witness: Gang leader a soldier

Hood soldier guilty in gang-related trial

Jerome Anthony Smith v. The State of Texas--Appeal from 27th District Court of Bell County

I've contacted the police department and have been told to expect a phone call from one of the officers who worked on the case. I'm now working on requesting an autopsy report as well. Thank you to everyone who has been looking in to the case. I really appreciate it!

[modsnip]

Approaching the 21 year anniversary of this unsolved case...
now approaching 25, from what I can find. troubling though not surprising, if you know how rotten the army culture was where we were serving. "J", as we knew him, was a gentle, fun loving and hilarious soul who did not deserve what happened to him, at.all. I do hope this can be closed fairly one day and hope these cases don't just get forgotten and left forever.

now approaching 25, from what I can find. troubling though not surprising, if you know how rotten the army culture was where we were serving. "J", as we knew him, was a gentle, fun loving and hilarious soul who did not deserve what happened to him, at.all. I do hope this can be closed fairly one day and hope these cases don't just get forgotten and left forever.
Thank you so much for this kind comment, and for thinking of him after all these years. My family describes him exactly as you do, and I’m thankful to have received some of those same traits.

I've contacted the police department and have been told to expect a phone call from one of the officers who worked on the case. I'm now working on requesting an autopsy report as well. Thank you to everyone who has been looking in to the case. I really appreciate it!

[modsnip]
I Knew your father!!!! I still remember us being in formation and being told what had happned.

I Knew your father!!!! I still remember us being in formation and being told what had happned.
Oh wow! I'm always so amazed by how many people reach out about him — especially on this thread of all places. Thanks for keeping him in your memory. If you're still in touch with any of his friends from back then, please let them know that this thread exists. It's offered many people, including my family, a lot of closure after all these years.

Inmate Information Details​

SID Number: 07121912
TDCJ Number: 01279415
Name: SMITH,JEROME ANTHONY MICHAEL
Race: B
Maximum Sentence Date: 2103-04-16
Current Facility: ALLRED
Projected Release Date: 2103-04-16
Parole Eligibility Date: 2034-04-16
Inmate Visitation Eligible: YES

Offense History:​

Offense DateOffenseSentence DateCountyCase No.Sentence (YY-MM-DD)
2003-11-09AGG ROBB AS MEM CRIM ST GANG2005-01-25BELL5603699-00-00
2003-11-07AGG ROBB AS MEM CRIM ST GANG2005-01-25BELL5634499-00-00

LINK:

Inmate Information Details​

SID Number: 07121912
TDCJ Number: 01279415
Name: SMITH,JEROME ANTHONY MICHAEL
Race: B
Maximum Sentence Date: 2103-04-16
Current Facility: ALLRED
Projected Release Date: 2103-04-16
Parole Eligibility Date: 2034-04-16
Inmate Visitation Eligible: YES

Offense History:​

Offense DateOffenseSentence DateCountyCase No.Sentence (YY-MM-DD)
2003-11-09AGG ROBB AS MEM CRIM ST GANG2005-01-25BELL5603699-00-00
2003-11-07AGG ROBB AS MEM CRIM ST GANG2005-01-25BELL5634499-00-00

LINK:
Thanks for sharing this, Richard. I don't think that I'll ever stop saying it, but thank you so much for bumping this thread up 10+ years ago, and to everyone else here who's followed up on my dad's case.

I'm fully convinced that I never would've discovered this page and all that has come from it without you continually following up and contributing throughout the years. When I reflect on the kindness of complete strangers that I've experienced in my life, you all are at the very top of the list.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back