VA VA - The Colonial Parkway Murders, 1986-89

Bill,

I do not mean to wind you up as such but I always think of your sister as being much more intelligent than I am. Rightly or wrongly I believe I know who killed her. I believe these DNA techniques used by Paul Holes have accused an innocent person of being the Golden State Killer.

Ummmm, DeAngelo's DNA matches DNA found at multiple crime scenes. How on earth did Holes' techniques accuse an "innocent" person??

Hello Bill
Just want to say I have prayed they will find your sister's murderer for years now and I stay hopeful that we can get answers for you and your family someday soon.

I have followed your case and the Colonial Parkway case since when Morgan Harrington went missing and I learned about your case. I will continue with my prayers for you.

You have my deepest respect for your continued mission.
Ummmm, DeAngelo's DNA matches DNA found at multiple crime scenes. How on earth did Holes' techniques accuse an "innocent" person??

That's for the taking the time to reply my post. You might be right be in my heart felt opinion that man is not the Golden State Killer. I have actually studied both the Colonial Parkway Murders case and the Golden State Killer case for quite some time. You may be right and I may be wrong but I feel it my duty to speak up for a man who I believe has been incorrectly accused of such horrible crimes. I would have a look at how Paul Holes used the DNA evidence in the Golden State Killer case and in my opinion there are very grave concerns that his DNA was actually found at the crime scenes.

Last edited:
That's for the taking the time to reply my post. You might be right be in my heart felt opinion that man is not the Golden State Killer. I have actually studied both the Colonial Parkway Murders case and the Golden State Killer case for quite some time. You may be right and I may be wrong but I feel it my duty to speak up for a man who I believe has been incorrectly accused of such horrible crimes. I would have a look at how Paul Holes used the DNA evidence in the Golden State Killer case and in my opinion there are very grave concerns that his DNA was actually found at the crime scenes.

If I can manage it my intention is not to clog this Websleuths thread and other threads with my theories because I have a lot to say about the cases. All I will say to the relatives of the Colonial Parkway victims is that I honestly believe their loved ones cases are connected to other cases across the US and in this respect until these other cases are solved their cases will not be also. From what I see there does appear to be some progress in the cases but hope I do not see Bill Thomas etc speaking on another anniversary without answers.

I wrote the short piece below to give laypeople a simple non-technical explanation of how DNA might work in a case like the Colonial Parkway Murders. Do you think this does the job?

Thanks.

Bill Thomas

So how does this DNA thing work anyway?

The Colonial Parkway Murders families have been told by law enforcement (FBI and Virginia State Police) that they may have perpetrator DNA in 3 of the 4 crime scenes in the unsolved Colonial Parkway Murders. If the DNA samples are clean enough, they can be run in the national CODIS database, which contains DNA profiles from persons convicted of certain crimes. The challenge is when a potential perpetrator has never been arrested, charged and convicted of the type of crime, which would require his or her DNA profile to be put into the CODIS database. There is no national database of citizen DNA profiles.

Recently, law enforcement investigators, forensic experts and genealogists worked together to identify a suspect in the Golden State Killer case, which stretches back more than 40 years. Investigators took a DNA sample from the unknown suspect in the Golden State Killer case and loaded the profile into GEDmatch, an open source website which allows DNA profiles to be used for research and law enforcement purposes. The experts found a match to a distant relative of the suspect on GEDmatch. Then a team law enforcement and genealogists spent many hours building an extended family tree for the matching DNA profile in order to identify possible suspects.

After extensive research, the team was able to identify a potential perpetrator. Law enforcement then put the suspect under surveillance, looking for an opportunity to capture his DNA to confirm they had the right man. After the suspect went into a Hobby Lobby store near his home in California, agents took a DNA sample from his car door handle. Forensics experts confirmed that the touch DNA matched DNA evidence left at one of the crime scenes in the Golden State Killer case. In an abundance of caution, law enforcement continued to watch the man's home until they were able to collect a second sample from his trash, a discarded tissue. Tests confirmed a second DNA match, and law enforcement moved in to make an arrest.

These techniques have now been used to make several other arrests in cold cases around the country, and there is great hope that they might be helpful in cases like the Colonial Parkway Murders and other unsolved cases where there is DNA evidence.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathy Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders

I wrote the short piece below to give laypeople a simple non-technical explanation of how DNA might work in a case like the Colonial Parkway Murders. Do you think this does the job?

Thanks.

Bill Thomas

So how does this DNA thing work anyway?

The Colonial Parkway Murders families have been told by law enforcement (FBI and Virginia State Police) that they may have perpetrator DNA in 3 of the 4 crime scenes in the unsolved Colonial Parkway Murders. If the DNA samples are clean enough, they can be run in the national CODIS database, which contains DNA profiles from persons convicted of certain crimes. The challenge is when a potential perpetrator has never been arrested, charged and convicted of the type of crime, which would require his or her DNA profile to be put into the CODIS database. There is no national database of citizen DNA profiles.

Recently, law enforcement investigators, forensic experts and genealogists worked together to identify a suspect in the Golden State Killer case, which stretches back more than 40 years. Investigators took a DNA sample from the unknown suspect in the Golden State Killer case and loaded the profile into GEDmatch, an open source website which allows DNA profiles to be used for research and law enforcement purposes. The experts found a match to a distant relative of the suspect on GEDmatch. Then a team law enforcement and genealogists spent many hours building an extended family tree for the matching DNA profile in order to identify possible suspects.

After extensive research, the team was able to identify a potential perpetrator. Law enforcement then put the suspect under surveillance, looking for an opportunity to capture his DNA to confirm they had the right man. After the suspect went into a Hobby Lobby store near his home in California, agents took a DNA sample from his car door handle. Forensics experts confirmed that the touch DNA matched DNA evidence left at one of the crime scenes in the Golden State Killer case. In an abundance of caution, law enforcement continued to watch the man's home until they were able to collect a second sample from his trash, a discarded tissue. Tests confirmed a second DNA match, and law enforcement moved in to make an arrest.

These techniques have now been used to make several other arrests in cold cases around the country, and there is great hope that they might be helpful in cases like the Colonial Parkway Murders and other unsolved cases where there is DNA evidence.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathy Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders

Bill,

Thanks the post and information about the DNA techniques used to identify The Golden State Killer. I will just say straight away that I will not continue to post my theories about my POI on this thread as I have said my bit and told you and the other victims families about him. I also accept the Golden State Killer case is solved.

I would just like to make a couple of points though. My theory was a farfetched one about a real life Michael Myers who was above any normal hits on a CODIS style DNA Database and one that the FBI might be tempted to clear in the cases he was responsible for. DNA controlled by the FBI and the FBI alone once the scale of his crimes was discovered. I do accept I am wrong and the last thing I want to do is cause any stress for the victims families(and this is me being serious) as the whole point is I have always wanted the victims relatives told before they passed away etc and felt they had a right to know.

Just to finish off on my suspect he is a good Colonial Parkway Killer suspect and a good Golden State Killer suspect. Of course DNA has ruled him out in the Golden State Killer case. Rule out he is a Virginian but I do know he served ten years in the military on paper in my opinion he is a better suspect than the man who's DNA matches. Right age, looks more like the composite sketches and had a tablets to increase the size of his pecker. As I say I will not post any more about him but my intention was to give the victims an actual POI and a conclusion to the cases.

With regards to those DNA techniques yes well done to Paul Holes and his team for identifying The Golden State Killer but those techniques have not allays been as fool proof in other cases and in my opinion as opposed to the normal science of DNA there is a fair bit of subjectivity involved. I do hope they lead to a resolution in the Colonial Parkway Killer cases. Like I say I am not going to mention my POI or this subject again. I will likely still just keep an eye on developments and hope I am proved wrong once and for all in The Colonial Parkway Cases soon.

Best Wishes

Jae Jae

Just want to make the point I do not think gender was an issue in these cases. Just my opinion as opposed to the poster saund10295 from the Golden State Killer board who felt Cathy Thomas may have looked like a man to the killer. To me she was pretty and intelligent and he effectively shut down any discussion of the case on other boards:)

Bill,

Thanks the post and information about the DNA techniques used to identify The Golden State Killer. I will just say straight away that I will not continue to post my theories about my POI on this thread as I have said my bit and told you and the other victims families about him. I also accept the Golden State Killer case is solved.

I would just like to make a couple of points though. My theory was a farfetched one about a real life Michael Myers who was above any normal hits on a CODIS style DNA Database and one that the FBI might be tempted to clear in the cases he was responsible for. DNA controlled by the FBI and the FBI alone once the scale of his crimes was discovered. I do accept I am wrong and the last thing I want to do is cause any stress for the victims families(and this is me being serious) as the whole point is I have always wanted the victims relatives told before they passed away etc and felt they had a right to know.

Just to finish off on my suspect he is a good Colonial Parkway Killer suspect and a good Golden State Killer suspect. Of course DNA has ruled him out in the Golden State Killer case. Rule out he is a Virginian but I do know he served ten years in the military on paper in my opinion he is a better suspect than the man who's DNA matches. Right age, looks more like the composite sketches and had a tablets to increase the size of his pecker. As I say I will not post any more about him but my intention was to give the victims an actual POI and a conclusion to the cases.

With regards to those DNA techniques yes well done to Paul Holes and his team for identifying The Golden State Killer but those techniques have not allays been as fool proof in other cases and in my opinion as opposed to the normal science of DNA there is a fair bit of subjectivity involved. I do hope they lead to a resolution in the Colonial Parkway Killer cases. Like I say I am not going to mention my POI or this subject again. I will likely still just keep an eye on developments and hope I am proved wrong once and for all in The Colonial Parkway Cases soon.

Best Wishes

Jae Jae
Jae Jae:

At this point I think you have lost me, and likely most everyone else. Why are you not sharing your views on who this suspect might be?

Best regards,

Bill Thomas

Jae Jae:

At this point I think you have lost me, and likely most everyone else. Why are you not sharing your views on who this suspect might be?

Best regards,

Bill Thomas

Hi Bill,

I have lost myself I think. As I have told you before I believe Ralph Leon Jackson is The Colonial Parkway Killer. Rightly or wrongly this view seems to caused me a fair bit of trouble so I do not want to keep mentioning it on here. I hope you and the fellow families have success in finding the killer of your loved ones and if I was you I would want to use those techniques used to identify the Golden State Killer. As I say keep looking at Ralph Jackson it might help you.

Cheers

jae jae

I will just say one more thing ignore the fact that he feels like a blast from the past because to me he is or was a very very bad man.

There is something fishy in RJ's story about why he killed the couple on the Blue Ridge Parkway. He seems to have went to a lot of trouble to state that he targeted the pair because he thought that one was his son in law. What if the reason he states that is because he doesn't want to be viewed as being a Killer of Couples. Could he be trying to cover up for the fact that he is in fact a repeat killer of couples. I don't know but this article gave me pause.

Blue Ridge Parkway shooter says he thought he was targeting son-in-law

Keep going with your research into The Colonial Parkway Murders. Good work.

There have been 3 new podcasts on the Colonial Parkway Murders:

“True Crime Garage” podcast

True Crime Garage

2 part podcast, no participation by Colonial Parkway Murders families.

“The Murder In My Family” podcast

Cathy Thomas - Colonial Parkway Murders | The Murder In My Family

Bill Thomas with host Mike Morford.

“Crime Stories with Nancy Grace” podcast/SiriusXM radio show

Crime Stories with Nancy Grace

Bill Thomas with Nancy Grace, Leigh Egan, Sheryl McCollum, Bethany Marshall, producer Alan Duke.

New hope for families of 8 murdered along Virginia's Colonial Parkway

Thanks.

Bill Thomas

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member