VA VA - The Colonial Parkway Murders, 1986-89

Not sure is this is a repost but I will give the cases another bump. Here is an interview with a gentleman and his daughter who wrote a book about the Colonial Parkway Murders:

I read that book. If I'm not mistaken, I learned about the book either from a post on here by Kathy Thomas' brother, Bill, or from an interview he gave. Good book. The forward is tough to get through as it seems to drag, but later you learn it has some insight into how the book came about. For anyone wanting to know about the murders, I highly recommend it.

Here is a blog entry by a gentleman who wrote a book about the Colonial parkway Murder with his daughter:

The 30th Anniversary of the Last of the Colonial Parkway Murders

Here is part of the above blog:

As a cold case true crime author you become emotionally invested in your work. If you are going to do your job right, you have it. Sometimes that connection is with investigators, other times it is with family members of the victims. You have no control over where those connections are going to come from, in many respects, you are along for the ride.

The first interview we did for the book was with Larry McCann, the Virginia State Police profiler who worked the case. Victoria and I needed the big picture, a strategic perspective. Larry was the guy to do that for us. Larry taught me more about criminal profiling in four hours than I got from three textbooks on the subject.

Here is a recent page with information about the cases:

UNSOLVED: Colonial Parkway Murders — Hunt A Killer

Here is part of the about report about the cases. My feeling is the cases are connected and you can sometimes over complicate the differences and peoples behaviour is complex including the minds of madmen. Also of course the mind and behaviour of a madman you could say is difficult to predict and rationalise:

But similarities also abound.

“You’ve got couples, (even though the majority of the couples besides Cathy and Rebecca weren’t dating per se), cars, lover’s lanes, isolated rural locations, no robberies, no apparent sexual assaults, limited signs of struggle. There’s also a pattern where the cars appear to be moved post-mortem. Many of the law enforcement officers think the cars appear to be staged,” said Thomas.

The current theory from experts who believe the homicides are related think that the killer presented himself as an authority figure, like a police officer or a National Park Ranger, or some sort of law enforcement official.

“It’s likely that the killer approaches the vehicle in a non-threatening manner and then probably uses a gun to establish control and then transitions to a knife as a preferred method of killing,” said Thomas.

When law enforcement was working to solve the cases, DNA, CODUS, and familial DNA unfortunately weren’t investigative techniques at the time.

This Podcast have recently been uploaded to You Tube so I am hoping it is a recent one:

Here is another episode of this Podcast series about the cases:

Someone on here asked me for sleuthing tips the other day. I here what you are saying why ask him:). One tip I would give though is you can never get too much information even if you have heard most stuff before so here is another recent video about the Colonial Parkway Murders:

Last edited:
Here is another episode of this Podcast series about the cases:

Someone on here asked me for sleuthing tips the other day. I here what you are saying why ask him:). One tip I would give though is you can never get too much information even if you have heard most stuff before so here is another recent video about the Colonial Parkway Murders:

Here is part four of the recently uploaded Podcast series:

Today is also the anniversary of one of the terrible double murders that are grouped together as The Colonial Parkway Murders:

Colonial Parkway Murders 30 years later: David Knobling

Colonial Parkway Murders: 30 Years later- Robin Edwards

There is of course an upcoming documentary about the case. I have put my suspect forward as the offender Ralph Leon Jackson without any success. I do of course hope the victims family members get justice. To put it in crude terms I have always wanted them did get answers before they pass on from this world themselves as another year appears to be going without them getting answers in the case. Of course I would want it to be the right offender and if I am wrong about the Parkway Shooter Ralph Jackson that is ok as long as it is the right offender:

A new show looking at the Colonial Parkway is in works for NBC station | Williamsburg Yorktown Daily

“Virginia’s Colonial Parkway, a dark and isolated lovers’ lane, was the scene of four brutal double murders between 1986-1990, with each year a new young couple meeting their untimely death. Chilling and eerie similarities connect the four cases, but no one has ever been arrested for the crimes. Now, a team of former FBI special agents led by former FBI Profiler Jim Clemente, intends to change that, with the goal of bringing a monster to justice and providing answers to the victims’ families.”

There is of course an upcoming documentary about the case. I have put my suspect forward as the offender Ralph Leon Jackson without any success. I do of course hope the victims family members get justice. To put it in crude terms I have always wanted them did get answers before they pass on from this world themselves as another year appears to be going without them getting answers in the case. Of course I would want it to be the right offender and if I am wrong about the Parkway Shooter Ralph Jackson that is ok as long as it is the right offender:

A new show looking at the Colonial Parkway is in works for NBC station | Williamsburg Yorktown Daily

“Virginia’s Colonial Parkway, a dark and isolated lovers’ lane, was the scene of four brutal double murders between 1986-1990, with each year a new young couple meeting their untimely death. Chilling and eerie similarities connect the four cases, but no one has ever been arrested for the crimes. Now, a team of former FBI special agents led by former FBI Profiler Jim Clemente, intends to change that, with the goal of bringing a monster to justice and providing answers to the victims’ families.”

This is related to the upcoming documentary about the cases which I find interesting but rather sad at the same time:

NBCUniversal Casting Call Williamsburg, VA and Surrounding Areas (Paid) - At The Movies

Here is a discussion about the Colonial Parkway Murders by the guys who normally discuss the Maura Murray case:

This Podcast may be a little bit older than I thought but here is part two and any publicity cannot harm as yet another year passes with Bill Thomas and the other victims relatives appearing to be no further forward in getting the answers they deserve and have tried to get for so long:

I was reading about C.S. as a possible suspect in the Childs and Metzler murders and my thoughts turned to the Colonial Parkway murders as well. C.S. would have been in the right age range, was a long-time Virginia resident, and I do not believe he was incarcerated during the parkway killings. He was convicted of three murders in Alexandria, but it seems like he has possible ties to other victims in the Commonwealth. There is a plethora of info on him online. Here is an article from the Washington Post.

Granted, the victims in the murders he committed in Alexandria were not couples.

Hoping DNA can be tested soon, the families have waited for too long.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a176c6-bfb0-11e5-bcda-62a36b394160_story.html

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Ed Edwards can be eliminated as a suspect? Here is a list of the crimes he is suspected of.

• Patricia Kalizke, 16, and her boyfriend, Lloyd Duane Bogle, 18, were murdered in the winter of 1956 in Great Falls, Mont. Both were shot execution-style.

• Larry Peyton and Beverly Allan, both 19, were killed in Portland, Ore., on Nov. 26, 1960. Peyton had been stabbed and beaten to death. Allen was raped and strangled.

• Jesse McBane, 19, and Patricia Mann, 20, were killed on Valentine’s Day in 1971, in Durham, N.C. They had been tortured and strangled.

• Linda and Cliff Bernhardt, both 24, of Billings, Mont., were murdered in their home on Nov. 6, 1973. They were beaten and strangled. Edwards was in the area, although Garcia has pointed out that home invasion was not his modus operandi.

• Billy Lavaco and Judy Straub were shot in August of 1977 in Norton, Ohio. Edwards was convicted of their murder.

• Mary Leonard, 17, and Ricky Beard, 19, were murdered on Aug. 24, 1979, in Akron, Ohio. They were shot and stabbed.

• Tim Hack and Kelly Drew in 1980.

• Daniel “Dannie Boy Edwards” Gloeckner was shot in May of 1996 in Geauga County, Ohio. He was Edwards’ foster son. Edwards was sentenced to death on charges of aggravated murder, aggravated robbery and kidnapping in the case.

Daughter recalls serial-killer father in People magazine

There was a PI who suspected Richard Evonitz in other murders (Connecticut River Valley Murders) and others suspected him of the Colonial Parkway Murders. I can't see him as the Colonial Parkway Murders killer as he targeted young teen girls.
Richard Evonitz - Wikipedia

Another suspect was Darrell David Rice. The murders of Cathy Thomas and Rebecca Dowski would fit his profile if he, in fact, killer Julianne Williams and Lollie Winans, but I don't believe the other 3 sets of murders fit. Also, Rice would have been 18 at the time of the Thomas/Dowski murders. Vile Virginia covers the Route 29 murder of Alicia Reynolds and the Williams/Winans murders in the latest episode.
Episode 22 - The Story of Alicia Reynolds and the Route 29 Stalker — poking the underbelly of the old dominion
You be the judge.

There was a time when I thought either of these two would be likely suspects. Now that I've looked at both of them in more depth, I seriously doubt it.

I still struggle with whether or not all four sets of murders were committed by the same person or persons. But what are the odds that double murders would take place in the same general area within a 3-4 year time span? Then the killings stopped. That part really baffles me.

Does anyone know if Ed Edwards can be eliminated as a suspect? Here is a list of the crimes he is suspected of.

• Patricia Kalizke, 16, and her boyfriend, Lloyd Duane Bogle, 18, were murdered in the winter of 1956 in Great Falls, Mont. Both were shot execution-style.

• Larry Peyton and Beverly Allan, both 19, were killed in Portland, Ore., on Nov. 26, 1960. Peyton had been stabbed and beaten to death. Allen was raped and strangled.

• Jesse McBane, 19, and Patricia Mann, 20, were killed on Valentine’s Day in 1971, in Durham, N.C. They had been tortured and strangled.

• Linda and Cliff Bernhardt, both 24, of Billings, Mont., were murdered in their home on Nov. 6, 1973. They were beaten and strangled. Edwards was in the area, although Garcia has pointed out that home invasion was not his modus operandi.

• Billy Lavaco and Judy Straub were shot in August of 1977 in Norton, Ohio. Edwards was convicted of their murder.

• Mary Leonard, 17, and Ricky Beard, 19, were murdered on Aug. 24, 1979, in Akron, Ohio. They were shot and stabbed.

• Tim Hack and Kelly Drew in 1980.

• Daniel “Dannie Boy Edwards” Gloeckner was shot in May of 1996 in Geauga County, Ohio. He was Edwards’ foster son. Edwards was sentenced to death on charges of aggravated murder, aggravated robbery and kidnapping in the case.

Daughter recalls serial-killer father in People magazine
I’m local to the Valentine’s Day murders in Durham and as far as I know, Edwards is not the prime suspect for those two murders.

Hello. Does anyone have Mr. Bill Thomas' direct email address? I sent him a message on here but I would like to share some information regarding a person of interest in this case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back