VA VA - The Colonial Parkway Murders, 1986-89

I just read this entire thread and the link in post #141. I can't help but wonder if DNA was obtained from the hair found in Cathy's hand. Even with the mistakes mentioned in the article linked in post #141 it would seem DNA from that hair would be huge as clearly non one would mistakenly leave their hair in the victims hand. If that hair still exists.... It would be interesting to know if that hair still exists or possibly went missing when the crime scene photos were leaked.

Bill, I am sorry for the loss of your sister and admire your tenacity in seeing the case solved. Praying this is the year for answers.

Cubby:

Thanks for reading this entire thread. That is impressive.

Still no word on test results from the hair found in my sister Cathy's hand. My guess is that FBI Quantico got no results on the the hair (which is almost 31 years old), and they haven't bothered to tell us yet. (Personally, I always like to know what is going on, even if the news is disappointing.)

After numerous requests from my family starting more that 1.5 years ago, FBI Norfolk/Newport News finally requested that the FBI Quantico lab test all of the other hair and fiber evidence found in Cathy's car. This a very large box of properly stored hair samples from 1986. It was sent to Quantico months ago, and they keep informing me that testing is in the works.

Why the delay? Well, most people don't know that the FBI has largely been redeployed as an anti-terrorism agency since 9/11. Violent crime is now the lowest priority at the FBI, and cold cases like the Colonial Parkway Murders are the lowest priority of all. That is why we are always told that we have to wait in the back of the line for forensic testing, even if the Colonial Parkway Murders families have been waiting in line, separately and together, since 1986-89.

Regarding other evidence, we have requested that the FBI approve using a new DNA extraction method developed by a company called M-Vac. This is a wet vacuum system that can pick up 5 to 100 times more DNA than conventional methods of swabbing, taping and cutting crime scene evidence samples. The M-Vac system is in use at numerous crime labs around the country, and has already broken a number of cold cases with new DNA from 18-40 year old samples. M-Vac is not in use at the FBI lab yet, so they will need to approve a certified outside lab to conduct the tests. In my educated opinion, the FBI lab should already be using M-Vac systems, even in a pilot program.

Amazing that FBI Quantico would let other crime labs get ahead of them in using cutting edge technology, especially since one M-Vac system and enough supplies to test 30 crime scene samples only costs $28,000. I attended a presentation of the M-Vac system at the Loyola Law School here in Los Angeles a few days ago, and was really impressed with their CEO Jared Bradley, the M-Vac itself (it looks a little like a robot from Star Wars), and the results they are getting DNA from hard-to-retrieve samples and solving cold cases like ours.

Here is an example of what M-Vac can do:

[video=youtube;Ue-hIzwJXEY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue-hIzwJXEY&t=20s[/video]

Thanks again,

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathy Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders

Cubby:

Thanks for reading this entire thread. That is impressive.

Still no word on test results from the hair found in my sister Cathy's hand. My guess is that FBI Quantico got no results on the the hair (which is almost 31 years old), and they haven't bothered to tell us yet. (Personally, I always like to know what is going on, even if the news is disappointing.)

After numerous requests from my family starting more that 1.5 years ago, FBI Norfolk/Newport News finally requested that the FBI Quantico lab test all of the other hair and fiber evidence found in Cathy's car. This a very large box of properly stored hair samples from 1986. It was sent to Quantico months ago, and they keep informing me that testing is in the works.

Why the delay? Well, most people don't know that the FBI has largely been redeployed as an anti-terrorism agency since 9/11. Violent crime is now the lowest priority at the FBI, and cold cases like the Colonial Parkway Murders are the lowest priority of all. That is why we are always told that we have to wait in the back of the line for forensic testing, even if the Colonial Parkway Murders families have been waiting in line, separately and together, since 1986-89.

Regarding other evidence, we have requested that the FBI approve using a new DNA extraction method developed by a company called M-Vac. This is a wet vacuum system that can pick up 5 to 100 times more DNA than conventional methods of swabbing, taping and cutting crime scene evidence samples. The M-Vac system is in use at numerous crime labs around the country, and has already broken a number of cold cases with new DNA from 18-40 year old samples. M-Vac is not in use at the FBI lab yet, so they will need to approve a certified outside lab to conduct the tests. In my educated opinion, the FBI lab should already be using M-Vac systems, even in a pilot program.

Amazing that FBI Quantico would let other crime labs get ahead of them in using cutting edge technology, especially since one M-Vac system and enough supplies to test 30 crime scene samples only costs $28,000. I attended a presentation of the M-Vac system at the Loyola Law School here in Los Angeles a few days ago, and was really impressed with their CEO Jared Bradley, the M-Vac itself (it looks a little like a robot from Star Wars), and the results they are getting DNA from hard-to-retrieve samples and solving cold cases like ours.

Here is an example of what M-Vac can do:

[video=youtube;Ue-hIzwJXEY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue-hIzwJXEY&t=20s[/video]

Thanks again,

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathy Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders

Justice shouldn't have to be privatized in order to get results. I'm with you, Bill, this is absolutely appalling.

I hope the FBI is testing the hair found in Cathy's hand. Why wait? A serial killer could still be killing right now.

Hi, I read the book recently and wondered if rather than a "lovers lane" connection these could all be people who were getting high together. Smoking marijuana would seem to me a commonality in the victims. Anyone else notice that?

Robin Edwards had signs of sexual assault and yet every mention of linking the crimes lists a lack of a sexual component. I'm confused by this.

I became aware of the murders when we lived in Virginia Beach at the time of the picture scandal. It's disgraceful how these families have been treated. I hope for some "resolution".

I recently finished the book too. To me it seemed like the killer/killers cruised the parkway looking for couples. I think the smoking of weed was just a coincidence, as in reality just about everyone does it at some time or other especially people the age of the victims.

We have received some weird and unsatisfactory answers recently from the FBI regarding the hair in my sister Cathy's hand found at her autopsy. I cannot get into details, but keep in mind that I wrote to the FBI 8 years ago (November 2009) asking for a status update on the hair and other evidence. Very frustrating.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathy Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders

I recently finished the book too. To me it seemed like the killer/killers cruised the parkway looking for couples. I think the smoking of weed was just a coincidence, as in reality just about everyone does it at some time or other especially people the age of the victims.

I was more thinking people pulled over smoking might be easier to control (initially) due to fear of being caught. It would also explain why a non romantic pair would be in an out of the way location. I was a young adult in the late 80's and spent a good deal of time pulled over in odd locations.

I can't imagine how frustrating it is for you Mr. Thomas. My deepest condolences. You do a lovely job of speaking about and for the victims.

Hi, I read the book recently and wondered if rather than a "lovers lane" connection these could all be people who were getting high together. Smoking marijuana would seem to me a commonality in the victims. Anyone else notice that?

Robin Edwards had signs of sexual assault and yet every mention of linking the crimes lists a lack of a sexual component. I'm confused by this.

I became aware of the murders when we lived in Virginia Beach at the time of the picture scandal. It's disgraceful how these families have been treated. I hope for some "resolution".

I think you may easily be onto something here.

If these were cases of a murderous police or park ranger, it would make sense that handcuffs would be used as the couple was being detained for marijuana use. The couples would have no idea that the incident would lead to their death. There would likely be no struggle, and an individual could easily carry off the murder single-handedly, without the need for an accomplice. The hand cuffs would be the first trick that leads to their inability to fight for their lives. Makes perfect sense. I don't know why, but many avenues seem to lead back to the original idea that it was law enforcement or an impersonator. The roach clip was the killers ironic sense of humor being thrown in the face of investigators. The other weird thing is how the FBI seem to never want to do the DNA test. Do they not want to find out the truth? Is it someone high ranking? Just questions I have. So strange how this case, nor many of the others in Virginia are never solved. Something seems rotten.

Excellent new interview on the Colonial Parkway Murders with the "Books, Bullets and Bad Omens" blog.

https://booksbulletsandbadomens.wor...ther-of-serial-killer-victim-cathleen-thomas/

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathy Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders

Bill,
Your recent interview was wonderful. I believe that your persistence with your sister's case is going to make the difference and that 2018 is going to be the year. I want to read your book once you publish it.

Excellent new interview on the Colonial Parkway Murders with the "Books, Bullets and Bad Omens" blog.

https://booksbulletsandbadomens.wor...ther-of-serial-killer-victim-cathleen-thomas/

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathy Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders

Thanks for the link, Bill. I truly hope the FBI will do some testing in 2018. Sounds like you have some reason to be optimistic. I'll also look forward to your new book.

Here's to wishing all the families of the Colonial Parkway murder victims have a blessed holiday season.

Many of us that were here in the area don't know any of the victims. BUT we want these crimes solved! I hope 2018 brings that about.

I have rec'd information that Cathleen and Rebecca were doused in diesel fuel, which is why it failed to ignite. Diesel will not light with a match like gasoline.

Possible perpetrator with a white collar family background?

In the blue collar world that I knew, it was common knowledge that diesel fuel will not light with matches.

This knowledge was reinforced by they fact that blue collar men and youths were more likely to attempt car repairs back then. They would have likely known, at least in general terms, that diesel engines have a different design than gasoline ones due to combustion method.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back