Identified! VA - Virginia Beach, WhtMale UP 9528, natural causes, Oct'01 - Samuel Barnard

There isn't one. He was visually identified by a family member initially.

How do you know this (just curious as I couldn't find that info anywhere but you might have more connections)? What a sad, strange story. I'm so happy (and sad) his family can bring him home. I just don't understand how he had a residence there in VA Beach but no neighbors ever recognized or identified him. Maybe he kept to himself? Maybe he had just moved there? Who knows... but I am so so so glad he's finally at rest. This case haunted the hell out of me.

No. I don't believe so, danzn16. The first I've seen of him is from zabasearch posted earlier in the thread.

I wonder why he would not have a NAMUS after all these years? Is that common?

Thank goodness he was found. I wish we had more details on why he was in VA Beach and why it's taken over 10 years to identify this poor man.

Agghhh that zabasearch would be SO AWESOME to use for past cases (like the kid in Maryland who died of pneumonia in the woods near the boys jail)... but I can't just enter initials :(

there is something seriously wrong here. I did some public record search at ancestry.com and while they are not always correct, what it shows is that Sam Barnard lived at 621 Hunter Ct, Virginia Beach throughout most, if not all, of the 1990's. I suspect it was a rental complex with 6 units as opposed to their being individual condo units as I tried to google the address and look for property values at places like trulia.com and zillow.com but they did not recognize the address.

so here is a long-time stable tenant who suddenly vanishes, leaving everything behind. as fate would have it he died of a heart attack in a restaurant one mile from his home IN THE SAME TOWN!!!

I know on another thread someone pointed out that tenants do often leave in the middle of the night to skip rent obligations, but this is not one of them. you'd think maybe someone might have called the cops to say, we've not seen a hide or a hair of Mr. Barnard in like a week and his car is still here. could someone check in to make sure he's ok? what do they call that in police jargon, a welfare check? (no reference to public assistance here) had they done so you'd think they would have found his wallet and some photo ID.

so when there is no rent payments made, the landlord files for eviction and when the tenant does not appear in court, they get a court order allowing dispossession and all his worldly belongings are dumped at the curb?

I'm happy the detective solved this one for Sam's family but in my humble opinion it NEVER should have gone past one month here under these circumstances.

there is something seriously wrong here. I did some public record search at ancestry.com and while they are not always correct, what it shows is that Sam Barnard lived at 621 Hunter Ct, Virginia Beach throughout most, if not all, of the 1990's. I suspect it was a rental complex with 6 units as opposed to their being individual condo units as I tried to google the address and look for property values at places like trulia.com and zillow.com but they did not recognize the address.

so here is a long-time stable tenant who suddenly vanishes, leaving everything behind. as fate would have it he died of a heart attack in a restaurant one mile from his home IN THE SAME TOWN!!!

I know on another thread someone pointed out that tenants do often leave in the middle of the night to skip rent obligations, but this is not one of them. you'd think maybe someone might have called the cops to say, we've not seen a hide or a hair of Mr. Barnard in like a week and his car is still here. could someone check in to make sure he's ok? what do they call that in police jargon, a welfare check? (no reference to public assistance here) had they done so you'd think they would have found his wallet and some photo ID.

so when there is no rent payments made, the landlord files for eviction and when the tenant does not appear in court, they get a court order allowing dispossession and all his worldly belongings are dumped at the curb?

I'm happy the detective solved this one for Sam's family but in my humble opinion it NEVER should have gone past one month here under these circumstances.

The police would have done a welfare check, and would have found him not there. They'd have looked around and found no evidence of foul play. Barnard apparently doesn't have any relatives to have been notified. What more would you like them to have done? They aren't babysitters.

The police would have done a welfare check, and would have found him not there. They'd have looked around and found no evidence of foul play. Barnard apparently doesn't have any relatives to have been notified. What more would you like them to have done? They aren't babysitters.

bbm

I thought he was identified by family members??

I know they are not baby sitters but on the one hand they have a dead body on one end of town and a guy who vanished on the other side of town. if a welfare check had been done, you'd think they would have searched his apt for any evidence of a crime and if his wallet was not on his person and there was no unattended car in the area (at least they checked that) then presumably his wallet was there.

you know like maybe a little 2+2=4??

bbm

I thought he was identified by family members??

apparently no relatives were local, at least that is the impression I got.

even if his neighbors were indifferent to his whereabouts, you'd think co-workers would have checked in. many times they are the ones to call the police when reliable employees suddenly stop coming to work.

Thanks for doing the ancestry.com stuff!!!

The only thing I can assume is that he may have used it as a vacation home or kept to himself. VAB is very transient. It's very possible that everyone he knew when he first moved there had migrated out of the area over time, leaving him to meet new people or know no one at all. His family from GA/AL was able to identify him. I wanted to research his birth records but I've been scolded by people for researching too much in the past, so I don't want to cross any more proverbial lines in this case.

Sniped from article above...

It was a spot of paint that identified him in the end, said Officer Jimmy Barnes, a police spokesman. Detective Kevin Lokey, who works in the department's missing-persons unit, figured it out while going through old files, Barnes said.

Lokey noticed the death investigation report written at the time and a missing-person report filed a few months later by a Virginia Beach landlord both reported paint on the man's clothing.

Lokey discovered that the day Barnard died, he was working as a house painter at a nearby apartment complex. At the time, no one came forward to identify him, and the case remained unsolved.

"It was a spot of paint that identified him in the end, said Officer Jimmy Barnes, a police spokesman. Detective Kevin Lokey, who works in the department's missing-persons unit, figured it out while going through old files, Barnes said.

Lokey noticed the death investigation report written at the time and a missing-person report filed a few months later by a Virginia Beach landlord both reported paint on the man's clothing."

..... yet he wasn't in any MP databases??

I mean, I'm not going to blast anyone here -- I am so appreciative of the hard work and determination put on by Lokey and I'm so glad all of you were so into this case. But things just seem weird and it's just sad it took so long to solve. No one came forward, he was in no missing persons databases... I just don't get it. :(

There have been cases where the family thought they had reported a missing person to LE, but the LE office either lost the paperwork or never took it seriously.

Eerie.

so the thoughtful landlord filed the MP report a few months later. even with the same dept handling a UID and a MP they did not put it together.

I suppose since Barnard was a house painter, he did not have a regular office job to go to but I am encouraged that the landlord took the time to report the tenant missing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back