Verdict is in! GUILTY of MURDER ONE - Hung Jury On Penalty Phase #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right; however, that is only because he is pulled out of his culture and judged by the standards of the mainstream American culture. That is a problem because Mormonism is deemed to be one of only two genuine subcultures in the country. Mormonism and the Amish.

Travis Alexander, like all Mormon boys, grow up being interviewed about their sexuality by their bishops and other leaders from the age of 12 onward. They learn to lie because if they admit to masturbating when they are twelve, they will not be allowed to pass the bread and water at the next Sunday's meeting and everyone will know they have done something really bad--and everyone knows what it is if it's a 12 year old boy.

My point is that lying about sexual behavior is pretty much standard in the LDS world, just as it would be in any other venue. If you are publicly humiliated for masturbating, you would have to be an idiot to keep admitting it. Missionaries, if admitting to masturbating, are sent home or given extreme punishment. The Mormon church is serious about chastity, all right, but it has an unintended consequence.

Everybody gets used to lying and that spills over so you see a person like Travis who has character in other areas of his life and is not honorable and truthful in his sex life. Young people find a way to enjoy each others' bodies and Mormons are no exception. When I was at BYU they had "veil parties" where the college kids would lower the lights and the women would walk through the dimly lighted room wearing only veils and the guys would have to guess who it was. These are the same girls who were required by BYU standards to never even wear a sleeveless blouse and who always dressed modestly.

It is human nature to feel like your sexuality is nobody's business but your own.

I am telling you all of this not to bash anybody's faith or religion, but to have a genuine discussion to understand that Travis Alexander's behavior was that of a ladies' man, but he wasn't that bad compared with other Mormon men in his age group. He kept trying to get away from her but when she was there with all her charms, he was weak. We all know that once you have had good sex with somebody, it's hard not to want it again when you are near them. Jodi knew this and used it to her advantage, trying to blackmail him. When he could not be blackmailed, IMO, that's when she went to plan B--the plan to kill him to shut him up permanently.

And she succeeded. He's dead and she's famous. Nobody knows what the horrible thing she did that he was going to expose because it is eclipsed by the horrible thing she did when she killed him.

It infuriates me that Travis' texts are held against him when there are multiple phone calls, the content of which we cannot know. That her behavior that sparked his mean comments cannot be exposed because he was kind enough not to call the police?

I agree that he comes off as not likable. I think he was not only likable, he was loved by everyone who knew him and his sexual lies should be viewed as having been learned behavior which is common in his peer group.

His biggest failing is that he wouldn't give up on Jodi Arias. When everyone else saw her for a manipulative, vindictive Beeyotch, he still saw good in her. She milked that for every last drop, then when the good will was gone, (I believe) she rolled him and left town.

He threatened to end her milk and honey days being the Hottie Biscotti of Prepaid Legal, which was her only connection to the Next Man. If you look at her life, this tick jumped from man to man, roommate to roommate, and that's how she rolled. Prepaid Legal was a bonanza for her parasitic lifestyle and Travis had no right to take it from her.

The foreman has limited information and is under the delusion that he has MORE information than the public. He is obviously driven by ego and a feeling of power, becoming the benevolent fatherly figure who, from day one, could not even believe this young "girl" could do such a gruesome thing...why then she must a had a good reason...

Too bad the jurors didn't put him up for perjury during jury selection.

BBM
Not to disagree, but do you have a link that discloses this info? In particular the bolded portion. I was born and raised in the Mormon church and do not recall being taught or even knowing that this took place. (interviews, i.e.) Granted I am a female, but had two brothers who were raised the same as me.

This may be getting into an area that is frowned upon discussing in the forum, but would really like to know where your info came from. PM me is necessary. TIA

I totally agree with you regarding the foreman and what he has revealed so far in his several interviews with the media.

I wonder when the other jurors will speak out. I can't wait.

Yes!

Where are they????

I looked to see what was on tonight on all the News Mag shows on ABC, NBC & CBS haven't seen anything.. I REALLY wanted to see a group interview of ALL the Jurors what they thought etc. Also be interesting to see the body language & interaction with each other.

I wish this trial could be mandatory viewing or reading for all teenaged boys.

If the girl you're sleeping with is straight up crazy and you know it (the kind of crazy that slashes your tires and breaks into your house), don't keep sleeping with her. Even if she's the only available sex around or does kinky stuff other girls won't. Even if she's the best sex you ever had.

Don't keep having sex with the crazy. Staying alive is way better than a few minutes of sex with the crazy.

My 15 year old son is homeschooled. He's super interested in a career somewhere within the justice system. He watched 90% of the trial. He passed on the psy experts...

It was oftentimes awkward to watch it live streaming and unedited with him sitting next to me. Especially the day all the unedited naked photos were shown, But I'm thrilled that we did get through it together.

I'm super confident now he will never become a victim of someone like Jodi, he will think long and hard before getting involved with someone stalkerish or staying involved once its over for booty calls. And I am thankful we had so many conversations about what to do if he finds himself in an abusive relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that Mr. Jury Foreman MAY have a learning disability based on the following observations:
<respectfully snipped>
... There is nothing wrong with having a learning disability. I just think it helps to understand that if he wasn't a reader, he would not give much credence to the written word. He was an auditory learner, and since the judge didn't read that part of the instruction, it wasn't important to him.

You raise a good point there. This poses implications for Jury selection - what constitutes a Jury of your peers? Jury selection is not just about attitudes/opinions/values etc, but also about having full cognitive ability to process complex verbal & written information, comprehend it and make a decision i.e. being free of disabilities which could impede cognitive/emotive/analytical comprehension and/or decision making.

I am sitting at home and the directions and understanding of the process was crystal clear to me. However there are some very concerning things the Foreman is saying and it's become pretty frustrating.

He doesn't think it's fair that the Jury decide this (you should have spoke up about that so you could be removed and those who understand their duty could step in.)

He didn't expect it be a mistrial if the jury couldn't agree on a penalty? (!? You thought she would get life, like you wanted? You didn't know the process your decision would cause? MOO)

He believes Jodi was mentally and emotionally abused by Travis Alexander and THEY had to take that into consideration (I worry about what he was enforcing to still talk for everyone when clearly not everyone believed her abuse crud.)

When you look at the crime, then look at the young woman sitting at the table it doesn't wash. (It doesn't wash? Her looks should NOT matter. The law and the directions provided matter. She indeed did and admitted to it, you have photos of her doing it and you even have photos of the after effect. You have the most evidence of one persom commiting a murder then I have ever seen in my life. It's inked in pretty thick, not a wash.)

I knew something was up when this guy put that they were hung on the verdict paperwork. It caused a huge problem. First the courts thought it was a question.. then it turned into a verdict and chaos insued. Then, when it was read off the poor woman was stumbling all over herself becuase the actual sentence made no sense becuase it wasn't a sentence. The foreman seems so into their final say being the FINAL say that he put it on the Verdict form. ??

MOO I don't feel like the one at the wheel should have even been. This was far too serious and important for the things he is saying. Besides that an alternate spoke, those removed spoke. 8 people stuck in that room, all got it. I hope more speak out though so maybe we can get a better grasp on what was going on in that room becuase at this point I am very concerned and pretty frustrated.

Wow, is right. I think I'm suffering some cognitive dissonance just hearing that. I can't quite wrap my mind around it after everything we've seen and heard in this case.

OEJ WOW is right. Cognitive Dissonance is least of what I am suffering from after listening to the "new" interview of the jury foreman. :silenced::silenced::silenced:

All I can say without starting WWIII on this board is this, there are apologists, excuse peddlers and gender-partial individuals everywhere. And it is my feeling that the crime of passion thrown in at the end made a difference.

Does anyone else find it odd that the juror questions seemed to indicate that the jury "got it"? They understood that JA was lying.

Yet the jury foreman is conveying sentiments much different from what was implied through the jury questions. Hmmmmm.

I bet Jodi is scowling in her cell, complaining to other prisoners, and stomping her feet that the jury foreman is stealing her media stardom by doing all of thse interviews about her (especially after he was one of those that betrayed her with a M1 conviction, nevermind that they didn't choose to execute her) when she isn't allowed to do anymore interviews.

You know she's upset the jury foreman is stealing her spotlight!

She is upset. But she is upset all by her lonesome. She's in lockdown until this phase is done.

She better pray she didn't "snitch" anybody off at Estrella because that will precede her.

She has done. Several times. She's picked fights and reported the inmates, claiming what else ... self-defense.

She's filed so many complaints at Estrella, I'm sure she has her own box in the Warden's office.

Reap. sow.

omg!! who is this crazy woman on JVM??

I know right!? She just let loose with a string of profanity and JVM screeched even louder to get her to shut up. I had to mute it.

Does anyone else find it odd that the juror questions seemed to indicate that the jury "got it"? They understood that JA was lying.

Yet the jury foreman is conveying sentiments much different from what was implied through the jury questions. Hmmmmm.

I wonder if he asked any of the questions?

(snipped)
How's mom doing? Gave up receptionist job, no now she's a dental assistant. She lost her job. One minute she gave it up, then her job wasn't held. She's staying with family in Az. The trial has brought them closer.

'Remorse' at the end. It's not all about Jodi .. according to Jodi.

Why didn't she tell the truth early on .. she couldn't go there, she lost control .. big giveaway. She lost control.

http://www.kfyi.com/pages/broomhead.html?article=11314778

She at least seems to be telling the truth about that.

agree so both sides get to better understand what happened and why. They can both perfect their presentations and Jodi gets another day (or two ) in the spotlight. Overall, a depressing thought.

No more 18 days in the stand?
Do they have to do the witness testimony over I mean like demarte and etc

I wish this trial could be mandatory viewing or reading for all teenaged boys.

If the girl you're sleeping with is straight up crazy and you know it (the kind of crazy that slashes your tires and breaks into your house), don't keep sleeping with her. Even if she's the only available sex around or does kinky stuff other girls won't. Even if she's the best sex you ever had.

Don't keep having sex with the crazy. Staying alive is way better than a few minutes of sex with the crazy.

I used to think this is why Travis was still letting her in, but I don't think so now. I think he sincerely cared for her and was struggling in his relationship with her. He tried to move on several times but kept getting sucked back in because he cared and wanted to help. Travis was a huge nurturer.

Spent the day getting Nasar driver interviews!!! Now trying to catch up on juror interviews. I've seen the foreman on Good Morning America but are there other interviews? You guy seem to be talking about things I haven't seen. Anyone got links to where to watch????

Reading on the State facebook page , Juror's are saying they are horrified that the judge called a mistrial. They said they didn't know she could do that. They should of asked for more instructions of understanding.

So much for not drinking with reckless abandon tonight.

This is some day I'm having... rushed my dog to the emergency clinic because he wouldn't jump up on the couch and had a hard gurgly tummy. As soon as we got into the exam room ... He made a deposit on the floor....She examined him and said he WAS constipated but he seems fine now.

Yep, I paid $67 for my dog to **** on the vet's floor.

and now this!

That's funny because that same exact thing happened with my dog. JJ had heart disease and he was acting so bad that I thought it was time to have him put down and it was killing me. I took him to the vet, who agreed he was going downhill, and he felt his stomach and said he was constipated. I spent nearly $70 for an enema for my dog and was never happier to do it.

The sister's FB account is public. If you have a FB account, just type her name (Angela Grayson) and it will come up. She doesn't say anything about her mother being there with her, but I do believe she was.

wow. she is going to be a police officer....while she is in absolute support of her sister. mmmmkay.

ETA....OT...I love when people keep their facebook pages open :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members