Victim: Alexis Murphy, 17, missing from Shipman, VA, 03 August 2013 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that have watched trials on TV (I don't think I have seen one since OJ)...what are the chances that this one could be televised?

For those that have watched trials on TV (I don't think I have seen one since OJ)...what are the chances that this one could be televised?

I don't think it's likely. There has to be good cause not to allow cameras in the courtroom and I think he being a POI in another case would be argued as good cause.

I can't recall a single trial in Virginia that was allowed to be televised. Cameras are allowed for certain coverage like verdicts, etc.

Maybe, depends on the judge, but I think it will be some what seen on tv, with people like talk show host like Nancy Grace and so many others talking about it. Also because of what this guy could or may be, so everybody is really watching this closely, its bigger than local. I pray for solace, because that's a very fine community and a lot good people they don't deserve that image or stigma he put on them . Its scary, its hurt business and everything.

I think it will be a healthy thing for the public to see this trial..

A lot of kidnapping and child abduction /rape cases trails are in the dark, I think its about time some people actually hear how horrific these cases can be. I always felt self defense starts with hearing other people personal experiences. A Verbal dose of reality if you will. I feel if a few young parents hear this case they will or start putting the child 1st more.

. Also alot liked to degrade the female victims in the media on stuff like this .So think its about time those people actually see who they was rooting for and trying to degrade. Because alot of these young females are being abducted at a alarming rate and have done no wrong. Its has to stop, they need a voice. I think it should be on court tv

I agree in that these cases are something the general public should be more aware about, but I really don't think this is going to be on TV. If he ends up being charged with the other disappearance (or disappearances) at some point, and this case had already been aired, what's the odds on finding an impartial jury...even with a change of venue?

Most of Virginia would likely be watching or paying attention to it, if for no other reason than it having happened in Virginia.

I agree in that these cases are something the general public should be more aware about, but I really don't think this is going to be on TV. If he ends up being charged with the other disappearance (or disappearances) at some point, and this case had already been aired, what's the odds on finding an impartial jury...even with a change of venue?

Most of Virginia would likely be watching or paying attention to it, if for no other reason than it having happened in Virginia.

I don't think he can get a change of venue or another state to see the case . All it does is stall the trial, which is what I think he is trying to do. Help his lawyer and give him time to tell his lawyers some things to cast doubt.

I think it best to have the trial right in that area of Va. Its a lot people who have not heard this case and victims and etc. Going else where is just a time & revenue waster, nothing more than mental games he is playing.

Or he might be trying to push the trial to a state or area in Virginia were he know he can get off, different county areas have different set of guidelines for things( laws) which I think he does know. If the district attorney or commonwealth attorney is smart he should ask for it to be denied. Wasting tax dollars and time.

I don't think he can get a change of venue or another state to see the case . All it does is stall the trial, which is what I think he is trying to do. Help his lawyer and give him time to tell his lawyers some things to cast doubt.

I think it best to have the trial right in that area of Va. Its a lot people who have not heard this case and victims and etc. Going else where is just a time & revenue waster, nothing more than mental games he is playing.

Or he might be trying to push the trial to a state or area in Virginia were he know he can get off, different county areas have different set of guidelines for things( laws) which I think he does know. If the district attorney or commonwealth attorney is smart he should ask for it to be denied. Wasting tax dollars and time.

Or 'shop' for a judge where he believes his chances of getting off are better.

Every time Taylor opens his mouth he seals his own conviction. Now he has a Mohawk. He must have a really low IQ. Even his lawyer made a statement on his behalf. His lawyer knows better than to make any kind of a statement. All you have to do is look at Taylor in his prison jump suit and you think he's guilty. Anyone with the slightest familiarity with this case is going to presume guilt. It seems like Taylor is being railroaded, especially with his horrible legal representation.

I saw this on twitter. It's 115 miles from Newton. DaShad Smith is also missing 11/12 and searches were done in Henrico for him. One family will have answers soon.

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/article_d3596b1e-339f-11e3-be49-0019bb30f31a.html

Henrico Police ‏@HenricoPolice · 2m
Death Investigation - human remains discovered in wooded area, 800 block of Wales Dr. shortly after 5PM on 1/28. http://ow.ly/t4lPx

https://twitter.com/HenricoPolice

Great article, thanks for sharing!

What press coverage? There's been a gag order for almost 2 months.

Defense in Alexis Murphy case wants change of venue

Attorney contends press coverage makes move outside Nelson County necessary

"The media coverage on this case has been relentless from August 2013 to present, including local, state and national news agencies," the motion filed last week in Nelson Circuit Court reads. "The defense would venture a guess there has not been a single, newspaper, radio station, or television station that hasn't covered the case."

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/loc...cle_659ec856-89f0-11e3-91a7-001a4bcf6878.html

What press coverage? There's been a gag order for almost 2 months.

Defense in Alexis Murphy case wants change of venue

Attorney contends press coverage makes move outside Nelson County necessary

"The media coverage on this case has been relentless from August 2013 to present, including local, state and national news agencies," the motion filed last week in Nelson Circuit Court reads. "The defense would venture a guess there has not been a single, newspaper, radio station, or television station that hasn't covered the case."

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/loc...cle_659ec856-89f0-11e3-91a7-001a4bcf6878.html

I highly doubt a change of venue is going to make any difference. The motion itself, says news coverage has been local, state and national. Most of the news coverage has been associated with the search for Alexis.

What is moving a county over going to change? :denied: :moo:

"The defense hopes the case will be transferred to another jurisdiction, or at least, a jury pool will be selected from elsewhere so Taylor would have “a better chance at receiving a fair trial," the motion reads."

So, for those of you who are legal professionals, is this likely? How often do trials select a jury outside of the area?

The Change of Venue Motion is standard in any murder case that has been publicized more than once on t.v.

I'm not in that area, so don't know what the Judges there typically decide. It is up to the Judge.

This case has not really received much publicity, imo. Definitely not national publicity. I have been concerned all along that there has not been enough publicity to locate Alexis. JMO.

I'm not a legal pro by any means but selecting a jury from another county I've seen a few times in the past few years. It saves money rather than moving witnesses, lawyers, judge etc...Think of the cost there was in Casey Anthony case flying in experts from all over, paying for witnesses, lawyers & judge to travel from Orlando to Pinellas Co. It also caused delays.

It was the Prosecution who asked for the gag order so that RAT and his lawyer couldn't throw crap out there in the first place. Now his lawyer says they want a change of venue? gah. jmo

I wouldn't be surprised to see them do one or the other.

I just checked Nelson County's population and it's roughly between 14,800 -15,000 residents with a very low density (a mean of less than 40 people per sq. mile). That's a very small number IMHO. There's only one HS, one middle school and 2 elementary schools in the county and no actual cities located within the county.

So yeah, to me it makes sense to ask for a change of venue. At this point I really don't think a majority of Virginia residents outside that general area know any details about RAT's history. I just hope if he's guilty (which I believe he must be) that they have enough evidence to get an easy conviction.

I highly doubt a change of venue is going to make any difference. The motion itself, says news coverage has been local, state and national. Most of the news coverage has been associated with the search for Alexis.

What is moving a county over going to change? :denied: :moo:

It changes the time you get on most charges, it may be a longer time for them process information and jury selection not every county has the same budget. Some time messing up the evidence and making not come to trial because jurisdictions.

. I think the procecution should ask motion to start the trial. everything should be gathered by now. He say he cant get a fair trail . But how will he know if they can't start it. its same procedure anywhere in the usa. This is just stall tactics.

Or 'shop' for a judge where he believes his chances of getting off are better.

One thing I learned as a lawyer is when you shop for new a judge, You will mostly will get the nastiest one of the bunch.

One thing these defense lawyer don't understand is. Just like you they went to law school with a few guys/gals, and so have these judges as lawyers. If you nip ( move the case from them) a friend of theirs In a case. Its hell. ( sorry for the language I just want to be frank and cut , clear).

You better off in the starting area

Molly Balkenbush (@MollyNBC29) tweeted at 2:55 PM on Fri, Feb 07, 2014:
#BREAKING: Court denied motion for change of venue in Alexis Murphy case. Randy Taylor staying in Nelson County for trial.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member