Virus Alerts?

I got a virus alert right after I signed into WS. It happened about an hour ago. I Xed out and ran my anti virus software and everything is clean. The alert was saying my computer was being attacked, all kinds of trojans attaching, etc.

Don't know much about these viruses, but could it be from one of the advertisers' servers?

I don't know, but if it was, it'd probably be from that horrible ad with the hideous teeth!! Yuck. If I had to look at those "teeth" another day, I'd have given up coming to Websleuths!

I just got the virus popup, too. I think it has to be on WS since I haven't been anywhere else. It can't be a coincidence that we all are getting this same thing and it is happening while we are here. What's up?

I just got the virus popup, too. I think it has to be on WS since I haven't been anywhere else. It can't be a coincidence that we all are getting this same thing and it is happening while we are here. What's up?

I spoke to my son about this and he is convinced that the spammers/hackers are embedding their viruses into certain ads.
I was looking at a tv listings page and as soon as I clicked on "60 Minutes" to see what the show was going to be about, that's when that fake Windows Security notice came on and wanted to scan my computer. Even tho I did not do anything to initiate the download, it started all by itself but I caught it before it had completed.

Well, to be honest, there is a possibility it is embedded into an add that has appeared here. It wouldn't be the first, and won't be the last sadly.

Oh, and as for the Mac bit, no, everything a PC can do a Mac can not do better. Your going to have a lot of the same issues irregardless of the OS or computer you pic especially if you are not computer savy.

I don't think fanboyism (sp) has a place here. ^_^ (of course imo)

I am convinced it has something to do with the WS site. I never get it anyplace else. I have gotten it three times now, each time when I click to check my personal messages. So, I have not been going into those messages the last few days.
I hope the mods are into this. It is starting to interfere with research I am doing on a case,

I got a virus alert right after I signed into WS. It happened about an hour ago. I Xed out and ran my anti virus software and everything is clean. The alert was saying my computer was being attacked, all kinds of trojans attaching, etc.
I got the same thing too and after finally getting that window closed, had to run my anti-virus software. I think it possibly could've been something embedded in one of the ads that we have to scroll across. :eek:nline:

I am convinced it has something to do with the WS site. I never get it anyplace else. I have gotten it three times now, each time when I click to check my personal messages. So, I have not been going into those messages the last few days.
I hope the mods are into this. It is starting to interfere with research I am doing on a case,

I agree, although I know little to nothing about how these viruses work. The only thing I am basing my thoughts on is that WS is the first place I went after I got back up and running after getting a nasty virus removed. I didn't go shopping, etc., just here. The timing and the fact that so many of us have seen it pop up is what makes me wonder....

Just a recommendation to anyone here using Firefox. An added level of safety can also be obtained by downloading and installing the add-on NoScript. Not too long ago, there was an influx of trojans/malware being installed on unsuspecting users all across the www through ads on websites. Scariest of all, users didn't even need to click the ads for the trojans/malware to infiltrate their system. They were coming through somehow on ads using Flash.

http://noscript.net/

Be sure to read the instructions. All sites use Java so you'll definitely need to set your permissions as you visit all your favorite websites. It can be a little off-putting at first, but I feel it does add another layer of protection for me.

I received a google alert Re: Websleuths RCMP reviewing cold-case homicides for signs of serial killer. I will not repost it as it has the name of a poi in at least 8 murders. I guess he (they) don't want me to post on that thead or post on missing Aboriginal women in Canada because it crashed my computer and I had to get a new one. I will not post it here but will show you what it looked like. Just like this...

Google Groups Alert for: XXXXX XXXXXXX
RCMP reviewing cold-case homicides for signs of serial killer.
XXXXX
-Dec 31. 1969 by 17 message - 6 author

Here is the ip address from which it came from. Please do not press this if it comes thru as a link.

[SIZE=+1]X-Originating-IP: [209.85.222.211][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Authentication-Results: mta174.mail.sp2.yahoo.com from=google.com; domainkeys=pass (ok); from=google.com; dkim=pass (ok)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Received: from 127.0.0.1 (EHLO mail-pz0-f211.google.com) (209.85.222.211)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]by mta174.mail.sp2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sat, 08 Aug 2009 06:56:51 -0700[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Received: by pzk24 with SMTP id 24so1718155pzk.3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]for xxxxxxxxxxx>; Sat, 08 Aug 2009 06:56:51 -0700 (PDT)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;[/SIZE]

When I went into the link, it came here to my thread and then my computer crashed.

My daughter just told me that she had been scammed on her computer about a month ago. She believed the site as she thought it was coming from Microsoft and went into the site and purchased the anti virus software for $49.00. When she ran the software it announced that there were no viruses on her computer, although the warnings stated that there were. She contacted her credit card company and filed a complaint and had to send them a print off of the fictitious site. She did so, but thought she would have a real problem getting the payment reversed but to her surprise the monies were credited immediately. It looks as if this is a far reaching scam and the credit card companies are aware of it.

happened again. I was on the 120 TES thread. post at 7:38 PM. Just after that - bam - attack. ???? Had to go through all my scans and 1 removed.

I think it is just the newest thing to be around. Fact is many of us are here at WS a lot of the time so it seems it is coming from here. but it isn't.

I got one too....Windows Police Pro is what the virus said on my computer. I spent 4 hours getting rid of it. It had somehow messed up my AVG, but after I was able to get that back up and running and updated, AVG zapped it.

happened again. I was on the 120 TES thread. post at 7:38 PM. Just after that - bam - attack. ???? Had to go through all my scans and 1 removed.

I was on a site last night re:HaLeigh...and I had some problems.

Could it be something with Gmail? Keep in mind I don't know what I'm talking about just asking a question.

I googled 322 Hoot Owl Ridge...that is when my computer started acting up...and shut down.

It just hit me. I was clicking to open a personal message when this stuff came on and just seemed to take over. Got all the messages that trojans were now attached to my email etc. It looked real but I backed out of it - with difficulty, as it kept trying to force a download of this program- and right after typing this I plan to do a sweep of my PC. I think this is bogus and the real harm comes if you accept the download.
I happen to be involved in researching a very creepy murder case and this frightens me. Mods if you are reading this please address this- I think someone is attempting hacking into members PCs.

This very same thing happened to me. Exactly. Trojans attached to the email and the warning messages looked very very real and I couldn't X out of them once they started popping up. I was not opening a personal message though. I was over on the Haleigh forum. I had to shut the computer down and run all my scans, it found 22 trojans and removed them. Horrible. This is my personal computer and only I use it so I know I am not downloading or visiting unsafe website's. It has been weird here for the past month or so for me though.

Ditto again! Just got my computer back from fixing the virus that hit on W/S. My guy said there is a nasty virus hitting so many no matter where you go. Hubby told me a mistruth about my protection! The bugger feels bad. Lap Top back but I can't send private messages, everytime I hit a thanks it takes me back up to the first post of a page. I can't write on facebook, access medical periodicals and wondered if someone can help me as I'm a dummy in training.

Any of you who post on the Haleigh thread probably already know that I've been eat up w/malware or viruses or whatever since 2/14 - the first day I searched for photos of the TES Haleigh ground search.

I have no idea if it was just a coincidence that so many of use got infected while looking up Haleigh info, or WTH, but anyway...

When you log in here at websleuths, do you get a screen advising you that the page is redirecting you?

Just wondering if it's real or not. [Yes, I doubt all reality after struggling with the mal-stuff and with the whole Haleigh ordeal.]

Thanks for any info.

Don't know much about these viruses, but could it be from one of the advertisers' servers?

I often get fake ads overlaid on real websleuths ads. You can see on the edges of one side that it doesn't quite cover the original one up. [Well, at least that's what it looks like.]

I ran malwarebytes once and it cleaned my computer up a lot, but then the virus or whatever changed the code so that it displays a false report that says my computer is fine.

FWIW - which may be nothing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back