VT VT - Lynne Kathryn Schulze, 18, Middlebury, 10 Dec 1971

There's an enormous difference between something that's controversial enough to get local activist groups to oppose it, and something that's controversial enough to prompt some unnamed government agency to kidnap somebody's daughter to stop him.

There's an enormous difference between something that's controversial enough to get local activist groups to oppose it, and something that's controversial enough to prompt some unnamed government agency to kidnap somebody's daughter to stop him.

Being connected to the nuclear problem doesn't prove kidnapping--it just proves a connection.

Perhaps Lynne really did just run away; if there's any chance she was caught up in the anti-nuclear activism on campus, she'd certainly have had many reasons to feel conflicted, ashamed, scared, confused...

What would it be like to know your dad is responsible for the two things everyone on campus hates most--unethical nuclear weapons and unsafe nuclear reactors?

What did Lynne know of Otto's work, I wonder? If he was preparing testimony for the ECCS hearings, she may have been aware of the sole issue: reactors weren't safe, and the ECCS hearings were likely to prove that.

The people trying to protect the mountain were talking about things like disturbing the earth and mild contamination of the river; what kind of energy would their movement achieve if it were revealed that this was not about "marring a state historical landmark" but rather the fact that a cooling system failure could result in a Fukushima-style radiation catastrophe?

Lynne's father was not only privy to those safety assessments--he had been conducting them since at least 1959: http://www.osti.gov/scitech/servlets/purl/4260314/

From her parents to her siblings, all are/were accomplished, educated professionals; there's no reason to think Lynne was wired any differently. As the second oldest, how aware was she of her father's work? To what degree did she understand it? What shock might it have been to her to move from Simsbury--basically a bedroom town for Combustion Engineering and other nuclear operations--to a liberal campus where she was suddenly the daughter of the enemy?

Except, her dad may not have been the enemy. A major, major threat to the industry's case was the fact that individual nuclear scientists were planning to go on record during the hearings, averring that nuclear power was NOT yet safe, that the cooling systems were a colossal failure.

Protecting a national landmark from truck tire tracks is great, but what if you have inside information from a student, or students, that federal hearings are about to take place during which whistleblowers will destroy the myth that nuclear power is safe?

The timing of this is just way, way to close to overlook. Sure, Lynne could have run away because she didn't like math. She could also have run away, or come to some harm, because she posed a threat to the nuclear industry, or because her father needed to be persuaded to stay on the straight-and-narrow.

I am truly open to all theories; but in a world where we don't even have proof, beyond hearsay, that Durst ever set foot in Vermont, Lynne's father's status as a powerful player in a critical, besieged (need I say multi-billion dollar) industry surely can't be overlooked.

Taking a break from the (admittedly exhausting) nuclear angle, there is something Allen Israel said that's nagging at me.

"Police announced Tuesday, the teenager was last seen outside of Durst's store. 'I'm not surprised at all,' he explained. If there are people that disappeared to make Durst's life a little smoother, a little softer to navigate, I'm not surprised.'"

http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/news/vermont/middlebury-man-im-not-surprised-at-all-about-durst

Why would it occur to Allen that Lynne disappearing might make someone's life smoother? That's not indicative of some randomly-targeted victim taken by a psychotic maniac; that suggestion is indicative of Lynne somehow being a problem.

Why would Lynne be a problem? Why would Allen presume to suggest it, in fact? Lynne couldn't have been a problem for Durst, or Allen, unless she had seen something she shouldn't have, had been in some kind of relationship with them or with someone connected to them, or both.

Again, I sense a shot across the bow; certainly under the present circumstances it would be difficult for Allen to call/email Durst directly, but an article in the press certainly gets this uncomfortable message to Durst and his lawyers: "I've convinced the police and the public that you were here in 1971, that you personally knew a missing college student, and that you might have needed to kill her to make your life easier in some way."

What would be the point of this? Legally, it's not a particularly wise move for Allen to go on about knowing Durst, much less knowing why he might have wanted to kill Lynne.

All very odd, as usual.

Whether or not any of it is true is anyone's guess, I suppose.

It would not surprise me if Durst and Lynne might have had some kind of relationship. Local rumors are that he was quite "friendly" with multiple college girls.

Also it's not just Allen claiming Durst was here. I have personally talked to five other people who knew him and shopped at his store. And it's been confirmed by the Addison County Sheriff; Don Keeler who also knew him personally and talked to him frequently.

Guys,

I always believed that Durst is guilty of the crime he did with the murder of the neighbor and the other accusations against him. Speculation or not, I agree with so many of the others that if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, swims like a duck, it's probably a duck. Attribute this to his past history. It's not just one thing, it is many things. Durst may have had nothing to do with Lynne Schultze disappearance, but there are circumstances that are creepy and frightening about his behavior.

For me, I don't need blood evidence, forensic fibers, and DNA in a court of law to feel suspicious about him. What is important is to bring about some closure for Lynne and her family so that healing can come about. If Lynne left on her own, and is OK, we need to find that out through a confirmation. If foul play is involved, we need to find out who killed her and why?

I am very grateful that the community has kept this thread active in their concern about Lynne's case!

Satch

With large respect toward those who knew him personally, in order to establish a decent case one needs something--anything--by way of proof that Durst lived in Ripton and worked in Middlebury. An article referencing him (not a modern article, but one from 1971), for example, a public record of a property sale, voter registration roll, tax record, etc. A record of marriage between himself and Kathie would be helpful as well.

Where's the record of sale for All Good Things--and was it All Good Things in 1971, I wonder? Formerly, the name was O.M. Health Foods. I've heard from some sources claiming that Durst was only in Middlebury for 8 months, max, and that he may not actually have lived in Ripton in the manner claimed. Many news sources claim "1971-1973" or some such figure, and all give conflicting dates as to Robert and Kathie's tenure (or lack thereof) in Middlebury. Some articles have claimed they didn't even move there and open the store until 1972.

A second and interesting (to me, anyway) point will be to show that if in fact he committed murders, that they were the actions of a serial killer and not a plain old hit man. I'm struck, again, by Allen's suggestion that "disappearing" someone would make life smoother.

A great picture has been created in the public's mind of this "creepy serial killer," without a single drop of blood ever being linked to him. I'm aware of 35 year old murder cases that have been solved in the last few years or so with DNA evidence; with the list of bodies alleged to be Durst's responsibility, we really should have something by now.

I'm certainly prepared to believe he's a serial killer, but aside from it making for good TV, there's nothing to go on. Not even the alleged dismemberment of his neighbor was physically linked to him, which is ridiculous under the circumstances. There should have been DNA all over the place. At least one writer has cited a financial dispute between Durst and the dismembered man, and show that Durst showed up briefly in that town, and then left directly after, the time of the man's death. It would be extremely helpful to know whether Durst had ties to the mob, whether in any case he was carrying out a hit rather than randomly killing. Certainly Berman, if I recall correctly, had mob ties.

I absolutely know the family hopes for closure, no doubt there. But especially for that reason, the case must be a compelling one and not leave nagging doubts. A story with lots of holes in it doesn't really provide closure, no matter how badly we would like to believe it is true.

Anyway--not trying to be a pain; I just know it is very premature to cite prune selling as a guarantee of what happened to a missing girl. Any investigation of the truth--whether via the nuclear angle, or a hard look at Durst, or as some suggest, the Long Island killer, or the theory that she simply ran away--should in theory lead to the true conclusion. It's definitely not a waste of time to look at many angles; while examining her father's leadership in the nuclear weapons industry, for example, the surprising story about the local nuclear plant turned up. Anything that raises tension in a town or on a campus is worth looking at as a source of conflict and, unfortunately sometimes, harm. As I'm sure some here besides me are old enough to remember, the '70s were supercharged with social energy and unrest in so many ways. For all we know, Durst (like so many) could have been virulently anti-nuclear; maybe he found out about Lynne's father, fixated on her, and killed her as some sort of sick personal protest (Heaven forbid). Motive is key, if her disappearance was indeed foul play.

As always, I wish and hope Lynne is somewhere safe and living the dream. Stranger things have happened. I also hope that if Durst is a killer, he is swiftly brought to justice; if he isn't a killer, and this allegation has been ginned up for other reasons, that is a major story in its own right. I continue to be hugely grateful to anyone pursuing any theory at all on Lynne's case.

Just one quick note before I forget, and so that it is included: the Middlebury Campus article about the Hough's Crossing power plant site did not specify that the plant would be nuclear. Articles elsewhere make it clear that, while VELCO scouts were being hush-hush and evasive about plans for the site, a nuclear plant was not off the table; and indeed, later historians' account of the battle make it clear that at some point, the public became aware that the plan would be nuclear (boiling water plant, I believe).

It would be interesting to know the politics of that particular moment in the plant's development schedule--when exactly did the public learn this would be a nuclear plant? How did that fact become public knowledge, and was it a spark to what was already a tinderbox of public displeasure?

How did director Jarecki come to name his novel "All Good Things" and how did he establish (or did he establish) that Durst was telling the truth about a shop that, according to one resident of Middlebury, Durst only semi-owned for eight months? It's nagging at me that in 2010, Jarecki would draw attention to Durst's alleged presence in Middlebury, a town connected to a fairly well-known missing person's case, yet despite the fact that the character in his book is painted as a sinister killer, Jarecki would make no connection between Durst and Schulze. Anyone researching Middlebury and killers is going to easily come across the Schulze case. It's a little hard to swallow that both Jarecki, working hard on the background for the story, and investigators working hard on Schulze's case at the same time, would literally be unaware of each others' work. The "anonymous tip" or "tip from a resident" in 2012 seems completely unnecessary; both Jarecki and Vermont detectives would each have to have made a rather large mistake in their respective work to miss this. Jarecki would have had to research Durst, and Middlebury, VT, thoroughly enough to name the book after the store--yet somehow remain ignorant of a well-known missing girl from Middlebury, and who disappeared literally within the 8 months Durst was there. Investigators would have to have researched Lynne's timeline of events thoroughly, including knowing the name "All Good Things" where she was last seen, yet somehow completely miss both a book and a movie about that very store claiming that a serial killer owned it. Just doesn't jive.

This is a piece of a text about the 1971 Women's right movement from Middlebury College.

In 1971 Torie Osborn co-founded the first women's rights movement at Middlebury, and one of its first causes was to eliminate curfews for women on campus. (Men had no curfews but women did.) She also organized the “abortion underground,” a group of students who secretly arranged visits to a physician in Montreal where abortion was legal.

Could she'd been pregnant?
[/B][/B]

http://www.middlebury.edu/newsroom/node/468467

Co-ops begin with people teaming up to meet a specific community need. In the
early 1970’s, a few Middlebury, Vermont families formed a food buying or “preorder”
group to access otherwise unavailable whole, natural foods. Membership
grew, and the group started a store front, incorporated as a business, elected a
Board of Directors, and hired staff.

http://middlebury.coop/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Co-opGreenEnergyArticleII-1.pdf

Co-ops begin with people teaming up to meet a specific community need. In the
early 1970’s, a few Middlebury, Vermont families formed a food buying or “preorder”
group to access otherwise unavailable whole, natural foods. Membership
grew, and the group started a store front, incorporated as a business, elected a
Board of Directors, and hired staff.

http://middlebury.coop/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Co-opGreenEnergyArticleII-1.pdf

THANK you for this, Evelyne!! I've been looking for ages and never found many direct refs to that co-op! Much, much appreciated.

~Z

FYI, Middlebury natural food co-op is completely different from all good things. It started in 1973 (possibly 1974) as just a few families placing bulk orders together and then divying them up to save money. They did not have an actual storefront until the late 70's early 80's.

It's a great store, I worked there for years and still buy most of my groceries there, but it has nothing to do with durst.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is a piece of a text about the 1971 Women's right movement from Middlebury College.

In 1971 Torie Osborn co-founded the first women's rights movement at Middlebury, and one of its first causes was to eliminate curfews for women on campus. (Men had no curfews but women did.) She also organized the “abortion underground,” a group of students who secretly arranged visits to a physician in Montreal where abortion was legal.

Could she'd been pregnant?
[/B][/B]

http://www.middlebury.edu/newsroom/node/468467

Excellent question, and I've never heard it asked in this case.

I really don't think the alleged Durst connection has much merit. It is interesting to note that not one, single murder has ever been substantially proven to have been committed by Durst. There was no DNA evidence connecting Durst even to the murder of his allegedly-hacked-up neighbor. Durst's tenure in Middlebury was brief, and it's questionable whether he actually even owned the shop, given that he pretty much reneged on most of the payment, trashed the place, and then skipped town. His alleged girlfriend's role in Middlebury is also tentative at best, with wildly different accounts of her date of marriage to him, her enrollment/non-enrollment in the college, etc.

Excellent question, and I've never heard it asked in this case.

I've heard the rumor, but I can't remember where. I didn't find it in any of the places where I thought it might have been, so maybe it was just my own thought.

In 1971, being pregnant outside of marriage was still a big deal, and I'm not sure where the closest place to have an abortion would have been. It's before Roe V. Wade. From Vermont, it might have been Canada. She would not have been the first girl to get pregnant in college and decide she could never face her family again. Though I would expect if something like that had happened, at least one of her friends would have known. It's a comforting sort of speculation because it would offer the hope that she went off somewhere to happily live her own life, but I don't think there's much substance to it.

I really don't think the alleged Durst connection has much merit. It is interesting to note that not one, single murder has ever been substantially proven to have been committed by Durst. There was no DNA evidence connecting Durst even to the murder of his allegedly-hacked-up neighbor. Durst's tenure in Middlebury was brief, and it's questionable whether he actually even owned the shop, given that he pretty much reneged on most of the payment, trashed the place, and then skipped town. His alleged girlfriend's role in Middlebury is also tentative at best, with wildly different accounts of her date of marriage to him, her enrollment/non-enrollment in the college, etc.

But what about on that HBO special where he said, "I killed them all" unknown that the cameras were still rolling? That is chilling. Durst frightens me, badly.

Satch

But what about on that HBO special where he said, "I killed them all" unknown that the cameras were still rolling? That is chilling. Durst frightens me, badly.

Satch

Zephyranth seems to believe that Lynn's disappearance was connected to nuclear espionage rather than the more prosaic explanation of falling victim to a known murderer in whose vicinity she was last seen. Occam's razor favors only one of these scenarios.

Lynne's dad was a bigwig in the nuclear industry, and his company was only weeks out from a very, very tense series of federal hearings that would literally determine (or could have determined) the fate of the nuclear industry. The gist was that, while these nuclear companies were themselves claiming that nuclear power was safe, individual scientists knew better and were more than willing to admit that the cooling systems were utter failures. Shortly after Lynne's disappearance, and the hearings, her dad moved the family to Iran, where he was instrumental in establishing both Iran and Pakistan's nuclear power stations (at least one reactor of which is still running today). The family is interested in the Durst angle, but no one is presuming that Durst is the answer to Lynne's disappearance. That's the problem with these longstanding missing persons cases, of course--there just simply isn't enough to go on, for any of the angles, to feel solid about any conclusion.

We don't know yet what Otto's personal stance on the cooling systems was, or rather, how he planned to testify. However, as a brilliant protege of sorts within the industry (from a young age), it would likely be hard for him, if he had any integrity whatsoever, to plan to perjure himself at the hearings (the cooling systems had already been proven to be failures--that fact was not in question).

I'm working with the national archives to get (at) the hearing transcripts--they are massive in volume.

Again, as far as Durst's status as a murderer, there has never been any DNA evidence presented which connects him to any murder, and in fact he has never been convicted of a murder. Anything's possible of course; however if we're to cite Occam, it would be statistically more likely for her to have met an untimely fate in some other way than being targeted by a serial killer.

One of the major problems remaining is the wildly varying descriptions of how/where Lynne was last seen. Early reports said she was walking down the highway with a backpack; but that may have been a cover story by the school to explain why they didn't immediately notice/report Lynne missing.

Satch

That's quite a lot of association with people who disappeared or died strange and violent deaths...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BabyGhoul
Back