Vt. Senate;bill decriminalizes sex between 15 yr olds with others within 3 yrs in age

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
Consensual sex between teenagers may not be a crime much longer. A Vermont Senate committee has taken up a bill that seeks to decriminalize sex between teenagers, if they're both at least 15 and within three years in age. The idea has been approved by the house. Supporters say they aren't condoning the activity -- but don't want to subject partners in teenage romance to criminal penalties and a permanent presence on the state's sex offender registry.

Hmmmm...while realistic in its scope, I know that among my kids friends they are often referencing statatory rape between teens. I do think that even though it does not defer all sex between under age participants, that the fear of the law does cause them to pause and at least think about their actions.

Will be interesting to hear the rest of this story....I do kinda agree with it though...

Although I'd rather see all teenagers abstain, I think this is aimed at not making a kid 18 be labled for life as a sex offender for having sex with a 16 or 17 year old girlfriend.

The ones who truely wreck young girls ( teenagers) lives are guys in their twenties who have undo influence and power over them. Girls like having an older guy interested in them. Then it is a predatory situation of a grown man(usually) taking advantage of a person who is still a child.

Thats why I think they are doing this. They both have to be at least 15 but within 3 years age difference. It makes a line between adult predators of teenagers as opposed to two close in age teenagers that went too far but one is 18 thus considered an adult.

montana_16 said:
Although I'd rather see all teenagers abstain, I think this is aimed at not making a kid 18 be labled for life as a sex offender for having sex with a 16 or 17 year old girlfriend.

The ones who truely wreck young girls ( teenagers) lives are guys in their twenties who have undo influence and power over them. Girls like having an older guy interested in them. Then it is a predatory situation of a grown man(usually) taking advantage of a person who is still a child.

Thats why I think they are doing this. They both have to be at least 15 but within 3 years age difference. It makes a line between adult predators of teenagers as opposed to two close in age teenagers that went too far but one is 18 thus considered an adult.
In some states this is refered to as "Romeo & Juliet" allowances. With the mandatory sex offender registration nowadays, I think local governments are trying to prevent these types of situations from being used as the excuse to NOT toughen sex offense laws. And, to be honest, there are some parents who would press changes on a 17 year old boyfriend simply because they don't approve of the boy or they're not of the same religion, race, etc.

We have the two older brothers and my father clause which prevent anyone with a "boy part" from coming anywhere near my daughter. :D

:laugh:
Jeana (DP) said:
We have the two older brothers and my father clause which prevent anyone with a "boy part" from coming anywhere near my daughter. :D

LOl Good one.

Jeana (DP) said:
Jeana,
You always seem to manage to put a smile on my face at the end of a long hard day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back