WA WA - Anne Marie Burr, 8, Tacoma, 31 Aug 1962

Someone could post the discard list to see what Jane doe has been compared to

Do you mean Anne Marie's exclusions list? Here are the UIDs that have been excluded, according to Anne Marie's NamUs page:

UP6599
10/10/2009
Snohomish, WA

UP8419
01/16/2001
Isle of Wight, VA

UP12683
06/06/2014
Newport News, VA

UP6796
11/18/1985
Alleghany, VA

UP9208
04/07/2011
Lewis, WA

I wonder if she is in Wright Park. It is situated within walking distance of her house. If Bundy (or whomsoever abducted her) was on foot then maybe she was taken here.

We rode our bikes 3 - 4 miles all the time to see and meet friends in the middle of the night after we snuck out at night ...... many times it was pouring rain at the time. That was no big deal to us ...

Most credible sources I've seen .... all say Bundy knew her fairly well.
Did you ride your bike 3 to 4 miles in the dead of night, during severe thunderstorms with >30 mph winds that brought down trees, power lines, and more than an inch of rain?

Who are your credible sources? Beverly Burr said Bundy was not their paper boy and she did not know or recognize him.

Getting away from Bundy totally, there have been several claims here in this thread that the weather that night was torrential rain. However, go back to post 17 and the news article posted says:

“Chief of Detectives R J Drost said the abductor didn't leave "five cents worth of clues" when he or she entered the Burr home through the window, walked directly to Ann Marie's bedroom took her away on the night of August 30-31.

A piece of woolen cloth torn from the kidnaper's clothes and left hanging on a window nail is all police have. Not even a muddy shoe mark or fingerprints”

How can this be, in torrential downpours, that a person outside climbed in a window, took a child out without a struggle, and left not wetness, puddles, drips or footprints Inside.

go back to the timeline. Anne Marie brought her sister into the parents room around 5am. They were sent back to their room or rooms. So Anne Marie vanishing happened after 5am, probably in some dawn light. Is this an indication that she went over to the windo herself, willingly? Was someone out there beckoning her, like the teen neighbor?

I drive by the UPS campus every workday. There's been years worth of major drainage improvements and road resurfacing done around the campus in 2020-2022. I was hoping she might be found...

after 5am, probably in some dawn light. Is this an indication that she went over to the windo herself, willingly
That's always been my interpretation. I haven't read anywhere there were footprints THROUGH the house to her room, in which case not only is it more likely even 1 person in a full house would stir, let alone the dog alert. I think the abductor came TO the window, possibly lost an already loose red thread opening it, and spoke or even pantomimed to her. Maybe she was up watching cartoons by herself, or the old pebbles on the bedroom window summons, who knows. Bundy was very smart, as well as clever, and it's possible he had shown her something 'neato' before, so in him beckoning her out she was anticipating a litter of kittens or something. If she knew AND trusted him, no ruse needed.

I don't see mention of the front door being printed, but she may have unlocked and opened the door and met him outside. Incidentally, not all dogs go bonkers with this sort of thing. If the dog was awake, in the room, and watching it wouldn't be unusual for him to see her open the door herself. And dogs don't wear watches, so he might not be concerned at the hour. Or he WAS right there, Bundy patted him on the head from the threshold and they left.

Whether the Burrs were on Bundy's route or not doesn't mean he didn't 1) know her to speak to or 2) recognize her from passing by while she was playing outside, etc.(thereby she might recognize him). Sidenote, I'd be interested where his paper depot was, and whether he worked the next day or was sick. Based on the timeline, he might have been out and about already, he must have been used to getting up early. He clearly was able to compartmentalize, so he could have killed her and shown up an hour later for work.

Following the theory of he knew her, she'd likely ride on his handle bars, or if he'd rode over in a deluge (which wouldn't deter an obsession or paper route) and stashed the bike, she'd at least walk with him. We can't forget, he lived and likely rode through the area...he'd be familiar with wells, drainage pipes, abandoned sheds, etc. But based on his future planning, he probably had an idea where he'd put a body. From what we know of him, he seemed to have a woods preference. If her body was in the woods but not concealed, he could have come back w/ a shove. I don't know if a foundation would be his first choice, but then again if it was one of his first murders, he may have tweaked his MO. I believe even at 14, he would have had at least some forethought. He also would have been charming, and 8 yr old girls have crushes that parents don't know about.

As for the letter to Mrs. Burr, he didn't have compassion, but I think there was a wisp of regret. Not for the victims necessarily, but in that he understood on some level it was wrong. It's also possible AM's murder was not quick, or particularly brutal. Maybe he was fascinated and came back to the body. All of which he didn't want to dwell on in his own mind, or be questioned further if he admitted it. Which makes me wonder if her remains are somewhere recoverable. It's unclear if him speaking of himself in the 3rd person was just a facade, but he obviously had some writes crossed, and knew it. I too believe there are other child victims, he seemed to mix a plan (crutches, missing passenger seat) with sheer opportunity.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back