Identified! WA - Arlington, Asian/NativeMale, UP17865, hammer toe, belt w/GRN buckle, arch support shoes, Jul'80 - Othaniel Philip Ames

sasha17

Curiouser & curiouser
Reaction score
On July 23, 1980, fishermen on the Stillaguamish River about 1/2 mile northwest of Interstate 5 in Arlington, WA, discovered the decedent in the Stillaguamish River, lodged on a log. The cause of death was determined to be natural, versus drowning. He had a small amount of gray hair and short stubble. He was wearing a woven cotton long sleeve undershirt and long underwear, red flannel shirt, black or gray suit-type jacket and black or gray trousers, gray or brown stockings, black “Winthrop” brand Oxford-type shoes with the inscription “arch support shoes” and metal/leather/paper arch supports added to the shoes, and a 40” leather belt with the initials “GRN” on the buckle.

Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

NamUs lists two exclusions:

MP54769 - Darrel Frye - 06/15/1980 - Whatcom, WA
MP22999 - Titanic Hagen - 08/24/1979 - Snohomish, WA

This is the most current article I can find. I am surprised no match has been found yet.

Who am I? A man washed up in the Stillaguamish River in 1980 | HeraldNet.com
TY for finding this article!

15325697_web1_L1-MEcase17SN1918-2-1200x800.jpg

Time has faded the colors from a pair of cotton pants and a dark suit jacket found on the body of an unidentified, possibly Native American man in the Stillaguamish River in 1980. His clothes are now held at the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office in Everett. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)

Stilly Doe -
  • dark features
  • hair was graying
  • bushy brows
  • shape of his eye sockets suggested a kind of sleepy gaze
  • broad strong chin
  • Stubble peppered his boxy jawline
  • teeth in bad shape
  • used arch supports made of paper, leather and metal
  • hammer toe deformity on his left big toe
  • stood about 5-foot-6
  • weighed around 150 pounds
  • body’s condition suggested he’d been dead for months
  • traits like hairstyle and skin tone are educated guesses
  • cause of death: coronary artery disease. The arteries ...were hardened and narrowed -common among the elderly, diabetes, high blood pressure or chronic alcohol problems

We are teaming up with Snohomish County to help figure out who this man might be.

More details here: Who is Stilly Doe (1980)?
"Stilly Doe"
  • he was less than 60 years old with graying hair
  • weighed approximately 150 pounds
  • was about 5’6’’ tall
  • likely of Native American descent
  • suffering from coronary heart disease
  • had been dead for approximately three months
  • was in the water for a significant portion of this period

We are working on it! Also thanks to the Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office, we also have an updated facial reconstruction for our John Doe. The update is based on initial DNA testing at Othram.

Who is Stilly John Doe (1980)?
I keep sharing the donation link. I just want answers for this soul.

IMO I think he is of Pakistani descent—the deep-set, ‘sleepy’ eyes and bushy brows are quite common in those with Pakistani heritage and coronary artery disease is also an extremely common health problem in the South Asian community. I used to live outside of Seattle and am familiar with the Arlington area and there is a large Pakistani community there. It might be worthwhile for the ME’s office to circulate a flyer in Urdu with the UID’s reconstruction and vital information.

IMO I think he is of Pakistani descent—the deep-set, ‘sleepy’ eyes and bushy brows are quite common in those with Pakistani heritage and coronary artery disease is also an extremely common health problem in the South Asian community. I used to live outside of Seattle and am familiar with the Arlington area and there is a large Pakistani community there. It might be worthwhile for the ME’s office to circulate a flyer in Urdu with the UID’s reconstruction and vital information.
I wouldn't say the Pakistani community in Arlington is "large" but I do see what you're saying about his features. I just cannot believe this case hasn't been fully funded.

I'm a little confused as to why they would reveal that he was not indigenous but wouldn't reveal what his ethnicity was. If 'initial DNA testing' in 2021 has revealed he didn't have indigenous DNA, wouldn't it also tell them what parts of the world his ancestors were from? That recon could be a guy from any number of places. We can probably rule out South America (since most South Americans have indigenous DNA) but his ancestry could be from any number of places across Africa and Asia. Middle Eastern is a strong possibility but who knows. I hope they'll be able to tell us soon.

Unidentified Remains | Snohomish County, WA - Official Website

SBM

Unidentified Remains
The Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office is seeking assistance in identifying the unidentified remains listed below. It is our hope that the use of the Internet will greatly expand our reach and assist in finding relatives or friends of these persons. If you have any information regarding any of the unidentified individuals listed here please contact our office at (425) 438-6200 or by email. NOTICE: All emails, and attachments, sent to and from Snohomish County are public records and may be subject to disclosure pursuant to the Public Records Act (RCW 42.56).

SNIP

Snohomish County Medical Examiner Case # 17SN1918​

Snohomish County Sheriff's Office Case # unknown​

On July 23, 1980, the decomposed remains of a White male were found in the Stillaguamish River 1/2 mile northwest of the Interstate 5 Bridge over the river. The decedent is an adult male less than 60 years of age and had graying hair. He was about 5'6" tall, 150 pounds. He was wearing a red shirt, undergarments, jacket, pants, socks, black leather Oxford-type ("Winthrop Shoes") arch support shoes. He was also wearing a size 40 brown leather belt with a belt buckle with the initials "GRN" on it. The cause of death appears to be either natural or drowning and the manner of death is undetermined.

Document
Document

So now they're saying white male, huh... that opens up a lot of possibilities.

Good news because we have already been working on it for a while!
That's great news! How were you able to work on it before funding?

I also thought he looked very South Asian vs. Native American, but as someone who lives/works very close to Arlington, I haven't noticed a lot of Pakistani folks in the area? Granted, not in Arlington itself, but very close. More Russians/Ukrainians and Mexicans than Pakistani people, in my experience only.

That being said, he definitely looks very Indian (Asian) to me, but I would guess he is probably from the Stillaguamish Tribe.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back