Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #8

Hmm, that still qualifies as "news" to me. Strange he felt he needed to delete it.

I would surmise he was asked to or was encouraged by law enforcement to delete it but my no means was forced to do that. In my experience people involved in media often come into contact with info that mainly law enforcement or family is privy to.

I would surmise he was asked to or was encouraged by law enforcement to delete it but my no means was forced to do that. In my experience people involved in media often come into contact with info that mainly law enforcement or family is privy to.

It would be very very rare (in the US) that LE asks the media to not report on something, even with homicides. The way things work, everything that gets to them is "fair game". The only situation I am aware of here (in Seattle area) in the last 5 years where we asked the media to delay/not report was a tactical situation where lives of our SWAT team were at risk because the armed suspect was monitoring the local media.

It would be very very rare (in the US) that LE asks the media to not report on something, even with homicides. The way things work, everything that gets to them is "fair game". The only situation I am aware of here (in Seattle area) in the last 5 years where we asked the media to delay/not report was a tactical situation where lives of our SWAT team were at risk because the armed suspect was monitoring the local media.

Have you worked any missing person cold cases where police release an information summary of a case on the anniversary of the disappearance? Have you worked a case where police release false information to mislead a perp?

Hmm, that still qualifies as "news" to me. Strange he felt he needed to delete it.

I agree with you, what kind of reporter deletes information about a potential lead in an open investigation of a suspicious death? By his standards, all news stories about the animal blood and the plastic bag should also be deleted because, like the zip tie, nothing is known about those items either except that testing is being done on them.

I'm confused, why is that one piece of potential evidence being singled out for censorship? LE never mentioned the zip tie, MSM never mentioned the zip tie except for one reporter who has now deleted his comment.

As a murder, I can't see that it could be someone other than someone close to her. Everything about this, as a murder, is up close and personal, where robbery and assault are not the motive.

Thrill kill is always a possibility.

OT: Totally off topic, but between a computer, laptop, iPad, and cell phone, the IPad with attached keyboard is certainly the most convenient and functional. I really like using the touch screen rather than the mouse.

I agree with you, what kind of reporter deletes information about a potential lead in an open investigation of a suspicious death? By his standards, all news stories about the animal blood and the plastic bag should also be deleted because, like the zip tie, nothing is known about those items either except that testing is being done on them.

I'm confused, why is that one piece of potential evidence being singled out for censorship? LE never mentioned the zip tie, MSM never mentioned the zip tie except for one reporter who has now deleted his comment.

Reporters should remove information from a Facebook page when it cannot be confirmed. It sounds like the reporter thought he heard, or thought he saw, something, but no one can confirm what he thought he saw. Facebook is a good place to look for confirmation of whatever it was, and it never was printed in the news.

If a zip tie was found up stream, at the opposite end of the culvert from where her body was found, then it could suggest that a zip tie was used to loosely secure the bag over her head, or perhaps her elbows together (which would not leave marks on her).

.... Just a thought.

Reporters should remove information from a Facebook page when it cannot be confirmed. It sounds like the reporter thought he heard, or thought he saw, something, but no one can confirm what he thought he saw. Facebook is a good place to look for confirmation of whatever it was, and it never was printed in the news.

If a zip tie was found up stream, at the opposite end of the culvert from where her body was found, then it could suggest that a zip tie was used to loosely secure the bag over her head, or perhaps her elbows together (which would not leave marks on her).

.... Just a thought.

Yeah I agree that they should remove something that they can't confirm but I just think that the time to confirm it is actually before they print it in the first place (fact-checking 101). If they need to delete something that was previously written because it was factually inaccurate, then they should, by professional standards, officially retract it with a written statement as to why they retracted it-right? They shouldn't just delete it on the sly and hope that nobody notices. Then again, this wasn't an official news story but rather, a Facebook post (albeit one written by a reporter on the official FB page for the new outlet for which he works).

The blood in the car leads my mind to a dead animal, which is a thrill kill in itself perhaps? And no where to be found? The area where Cheryl lived and died and all the surrounding areas are very much a drug riddled county. Here is a short article on the heroin use about 5 years ago and there has been no improvement since. http://mltnews.com/snohomish-countys-heroin-epidemic-more-resources-needed-local-experts-say/

Thank you! That doesn't sound good. There was a lot of blood on the floor of the car and it tested positive for animal blood. Blood on the passenger seat, console, and inside panel for the passenger door belonged to Cheryl. She had one cut on a finger on each hand. There was blood on the exterior of the car as well - most likely belonging to Cheryl.

Thrill kill, I think, is more likely to come from someone who is sober and methodical, like the 17 year who put Jessica Ridgeway in a drainage culvert.

I have agreed with much of what you have posted other than this. Not sure how your experience in search and rescue relates to media relations with the police.

Did we ever find out about the folded glasses ? Where were they found ?

.... Just a thought.

Why would a zip tie not leave marks at the elbows?

Have you worked any missing person cold cases where police release an information summary of a case on the anniversary of the disappearance?

Yes, about three. But they released a summary and there's always information of some kind deliberately held back.
Less information is held back when the victim is not identified, or at least they'll release as much as they can to aid identification.

Have you worked a case where police release false information to mislead a perp?

No, though they have said they didn't know something when they actually did.
But there's never an agreement with the media - they just tell them what they want them to report.

Yeah I agree that they should remove something that they can't confirm but I just think that the time to confirm it is actually before they print it in the first place (fact-checking 101). If they need to delete something that was previously written because it was factually inaccurate, then they should, by professional standards, officially retract it with a written statement as to why they retracted it-right? They shouldn't just delete it on the sly and hope that nobody notices. Then again, this wasn't an official news story but rather, a Facebook post (albeit one written by a reporter on the official FB page for the new outlet for which he works).

Facebook isn't the same as publishing.

Why would a zip tie not leave marks at the elbows?

There were no marks on Cheryl to suggest that she was restrained. A zip tie was found in the area. If the zip tie was used to restrain her, and there are no marks on her body, perhaps the zip tie was placed closer to her elbows.

N'est pas?

I have agreed with much of what you have posted other than this. Not sure how your experience in search and rescue relates to media relations with the police.

I'm a trained public information officer for public safety, went through the same training that police and fire do for working with the press. Done all kinds of on camera interviews with local and national media for some of our search and rescue/missing person cases when the police media relations officer is busy. (though I was not permitted to talk about criminal cases or release news about a death). The SWAT case I referred to was one where I assisted at the command post, and I was aware of what the media were told. I also get to observe what the police really know, and what they tell the media in some criminal cases.

I'd rather talk about this case though... I highly doubt they would have asked David Rose to take the info about the zip tie down. The toothpaste cannot be put back in the tube.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back