WA - Civil rights activist Rachel Dolezal pretending to be black, parents say #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite. Doesn't she have black, adopted or foster brothers/sisters? Did I misread the article?

I'm not saying that makes all her claims valid, but it's not quite as random as you make it appear.

I was saying she has no biologically-supported AA DNA. Just as I have no biologically supported Inuit DNA. You can identify with something because you grew up around it, but when it comes to identifying yourself on legally binding paperwork (like a job application that you sign), I believe you need to stick with the cards you've been dealt that can be proven biologically. Can you (legally) mark down on a job application that your gender is M (because that's how you "identify") if you were anatomically, and genetically born a F, and haven't gone through gender reassignment surgery? That's not a rhetorical question. I don't know the answer to that.

If not, this could open up a whole new world.

And if it IS the case that you can mark down whatever you're feeling on a job application, that's one thing. But she went much further. She blatently (as in, knowingly, and without mistake) lied about her heritage, posting pictures of her AA adopted brother off as her own child, and some "random" (he's not saying how they are associated) AA guy off as her "dad". She also posted pictures of herself as recently as her last birthday, going back to her "natural hair" - highlighting, again, her AA DNA, when in truth, her hair is straight and blond, not a dark brown afro. No matter how she tries to spin that, that is not her "natural" hair. Even her mother said they were extensions.

If she hadn't out and out lied, maybe it would be easier to say, "Well, if you want feel you identify with this race or culture, that's your right." It's also your right to lie, I guess, but there are repercussions to that. Sometimes they're legal, sometimes they're social.

I'm amused that so many folks (elsewhere online, everywhere) are completely baffled why a white woman would choose to pass as black.

That said, shame on her. Her fraud isn't noble or honorable or sympathetic, and quoting Du Bois out of context that race is cultural, not biological only demonstrates just how white she is.

I feel very sorry for her "son" who is actually her brother. Actually, the whole family sounds troubled.

Feb 2015 article on Dolezal
http://easterneronline.com/35006/eagle-life/a-life-to-be-heard/#sthash.X8QTJFqv.dpbs

In 2006, Doležal developed cervical cancer. During chemotherapy, she decided to keep her incredibly long, blonde dreadlocks she had had and still puts them on today. She was considered cured in 2008.

In Idaho, Doležal took on the role as director of the Human Rights Institute, where North Idaho white supremacy groups burglarized every home she and her son lived in. Doležal said she believes the white supremacy groups felt threatened by female power. According to Doležal, they hung nooses in her home, vandalized and stole from her property, directed death threats toward her along with threatening to kidnap Franklin while he was in the second grade.

She reported all of these acts to the police and each was admitted into police records as hate crimes, yet the culprits were never caught.

Doležal moved from home to home and everywhere she moved, they followed. The hate crimes finally ended when she moved to Spokane in 2012.

Best quote yet about this kerfluffle:

"Only a white person could get this much attention for being black." (Broderick Greer, theologian).

Lol.

snippets

When her name appears in the Washington state courts database, Dolezal is listed as black.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/naacp-reacts-to-rachel-dolezals-curious-case/

When asked why they hadn’t raised any concerns about their daughter before, the Dolezals said no one had ever asked.

“She has revitalized the organization,” Hankerson said of her impact on Spokane’s NAACP since becoming president. She has brought in a lot of new members and established “moral Mondays” — a weekly community meeting where people can discuss civil rights.

Looks like she's been to a tanning salon or two.
Photos of her as a teenager show very blond, fair skinned woman with freckles.

If you look at the video footage of the interview in her office when the reporter asks her about her son/brother and she cries, her spray tan/make up runs down her cheek and chin.

This story is absolutely fascinating to me and I cant tell you why. It had me pulling up clips of the Jerk last night!!

The story that is being lost, imvho, is not how she chose to self identify. It is about being inauthentic and intending to deceive. Her parents seemed to have implied that basically her whole home town has been totally aware of this ruse for all of this time. Everything starts to fall apart once the conclusion is reached that she intentionally deceived this basic information-to me what makes it even more noteworthy is that she didnt have to in order to get the job.

How did those conversations go with her brother/son and the man who appeared as her father I wonder?

I had never heard of her before this. I am curious as to how we will all navigate the discussion of her accomplishments, her deceit, her appearance and her motivations. As it is, I have never seen a public figure, public in a political sense, with the number of pouty lipped *advertiser censored* forward selfies as she has.

http://easterneronline.com/35006/eagle-life/a-life-to-be-heard/#sthash.X8QTJFqv.dpbs

In 2006, Doležal developed cervical cancer. During chemotherapy, she decided to keep her incredibly long, blonde dreadlocks she had had and still puts them on today. She was considered cured in 2008.

In Idaho, Doležal took on the role as director of the Human Rights Institute, where North Idaho white supremacy groups burglarized every home she and her son lived in. Doležal said she believes the white supremacy groups felt threatened by female power. According to Doležal, they hung nooses in her home, vandalized and stole from her property, directed death threats toward her along with threatening to kidnap Franklin while he was in the second grade.

She reported all of these acts to the police and each was admitted into police records as hate crimes, yet the culprits were never caught.

Doležal moved from home to home and everywhere she moved, they followed. The hate crimes finally ended when she moved to Spokane in 2012.

If these events are inauthentic, if I were her I would come clean now about it. Ugh. If she filed false police reports about hate crimes, she will have done a breathtaking disservice to victims of actual hate crimes.

She sounds very troubled but the article kind of makes me wonder how many of these other tragedies she made up.

From the Montana tepee where she was born in 1977 to empowering the black community in Spokane today, Doležal has lived a life full of experiences “most people normally don’t have to go through.” -

“It’s a painful thing to talk about my childhood,” she paused as she looked down into her hands. “I kind of don’t talk about it much.”
Then she goes on to tell the reporter all about it.
Doležal has no contact today with her mother or stepfather due to a series of events that still haunt her thoughts today. Doležal and her siblings were physically abused by her mother and stepfather. “They would punish us by skin complexion,” she said. According to Doležal, the object her mother and stepfather used to punish them was called a baboon whip, used to ward baboons away in South Africa. These whips would leave scars behind, “they were pretty similar to what was used as whips during slavery.”

I guess some weird punishment by skin color scheme might make a person want to change theirs but the question is, is it true?

Then she shares a story about a date rape by a trusted rich mentor that has shades of Bill Cosby there

One of Doležal’s paintings was at a convention center in San Francisco, where her and a trusted mentor went out to dinner together to celebrate the sale. As soon as Doležal looked away, the mentor slipped gamma-hydroxybutyric acid, also called the “date-rape drug,” into her drink. According to Doležal, her mentor took advantage of her that night. She said suing was nearly impossible due to the amount of wealth the man had.

But is it true?

According to Doležal, her ex-husband was abusive to her and even their son. At two years old, little Franklin would intervene between Doležal and her ex-husbands violence and “he would sometimes get thrown across the room,” she said.

But is it true?
In 2006, Doležal developed cervical cancer. During chemotherapy, she decided to keep her incredibly long, blonde dreadlocks she had had and still puts them on today. She was considered cured in 2008. -

Did she have cancer for real? or is it a handy explanation for not wearing her own hair?

The trouble with lying about one thing is that you lose your credibility about everything else as well. Wolf, and all that.

Like some of those bloggers who cherish the attention that they get for making up all sorts of medical emergencies but it's all a lie after all.

Fascinating article. She made quite a few claims in there, including that her parents would punish her and her siblings "by skin complexion." Her skin complexion as a child clearly was very white and freckled.
She claimed she was hunting her food with "bow and arrow" as a child.
She accused her mentor of slipping her a date rape drug.
She claimed she was a victim of multiple hate crimes.

Reserving personal thoughts about RD's representing herself as having ethnicity other than her bio ethnicity.

In ~ 8 min vid in OP, reporter asks her about various aspects of the 'hate mail' and 'noose' events. No stamps or USPS barcode on env's delivered to PO box; 'noose' in shed or barn on prop she rented was landlord's rope for lifting & dressing deer, wildlife.

Anybody find more re LE reports ^ about these above events?

From bio, more about teaching, etc, then -
"During her experience as the Director for the Human Rights Education Institute, Doležal developed programs and curriculum that expanded the annual audience from 3,000 per year to 23,000 per year. She created world-class exhibits, coordinated cultural events, scheduled keynote speakers, organized panel discussions and began the Young Advocates for Human Rights summer training program. Her efforts were met with opposition by North Idaho white supremacy groups, including the Ku Klux Klan, the Neo Nazis and the Aryan Nations, andat least eight documented hate crimes targeted Doležal and her children during her residency in North Idaho."

If person falsely claims to be black/AA, is it a stretch for others to speculate that person might falsely claim to be victim of hate crimes, which may not have happened?
IDK what to make of this.

ETA: I see a few other posters have addressed this, as I was typing, oh, sooo slowly.

This article from the CDA newspaper lists a number of the alleged crimes between 2008-2011.

http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_385adfeb-76f3-5050-98b4-d4bf021c423f.html

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jun/13/college-activists-divided-on-response/

Halle Thomas, treasurer of Gonzaga’s Black Student Union, is concerned that by concealing her race Dolezal benefitted from aligning herself with a marginalized group – while still reaping the benefits of appearing to be a light-skinned African-American.

“She has been potentially walking around in blackface all of these years,” Thomas said.

This article from the CDA newspaper lists a number of the alleged crimes between 2008-2011.

http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_385adfeb-76f3-5050-98b4-d4bf021c423f.html

She continued to allege hate crimes after 2011, including claims of getting hate mail.

"A recent investigation into racially charged threats made toward the president of the NAACP chapter in Spokane have raised questions beyond who made the threats."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...naacp-president-ethnicity-questions/71110110/

1. She says......as a child she lived in a teepee with her parents in Montana.

Nope. Her parents lived for a time in a teepee in Montana. She didn't.

2. She says .....as a child she lived in South Africa with her parents for some years.

Nope. Her parents lived in South Africa for some years. She didn't.

3. She says.....while living in that teepee she hunted for food with bow and arrow.

Um. Nope. Neither did her parents.

4. She could have at least been honest about everything else, but nope. She played victim often, in public, and loudly, with claims of nooses and hate mail that included ugly photos of blacks being abused.

And.....she dragged her little brother into her lies. He apparently didn't know the hate wasn't real. She actually withdrew him from school because of the "threats" and bought a gun for "protection."

On the other hand, something stinks about how her deception was made public. I very much doubt her parents outed her because they love her. And, why now? How is it that she gained custody of her little brother? Kinda unusual, given the other adopted kids stayed with her parents.

Reserving personal thoughts about RD's representing herself as having ethnicity other than her bio ethnicity.

In ~ 8 min vid in OP, reporter asks her about various aspects of the 'hate mail' and 'noose' events. No stamps or USPS barcode on env's delivered to PO box; 'noose' in shed or barn on prop she rented was landlord's rope for lifting & dressing deer, wildlife.

Anybody find more re LE reports ^ about these above events?

BBM: This is very odd. I'm beginning to wonder about her mental health.

She claims to have gotten hate mail, but the mail was actually not processed through the mail system but instead placed into mailbox by someone who has keys. I don't think it's that hard to figure that one out.

I would like to know if Dolezal truly identifies herself as being black. Or did she have other reasons to make this claim? If she truly feels that she's black should society force her to not accept those feelings?

What does it mean to identify as having a particular skin colour? Can I say that I identify with having brown eyes and change my official documents to state that my eyes are brown?

snippets

When her name appears in the Washington state courts database, Dolezal is listed as black.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/naacp-reacts-to-rachel-dolezals-curious-case/

When asked why they hadn’t raised any concerns about their daughter before, the Dolezals said no one had ever asked.

“She has revitalized the organization,” Hankerson said of her impact on Spokane’s NAACP since becoming president. She has brought in a lot of new members and established “moral Mondays” — a weekly community meeting where people can discuss civil rights.

Sounds like she is considered a terrific employee by the NAACP & they do not want to lose her. I just wonder if any false police reports or the theft by deception of the very large scholarship at Howard University are still able to be prosecuted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa