WA WA - D.B. Cooper Hijacking Mystery, 24 Nov 1971 #4

How did Cooper arrive at the Portland Airport?

Were his intentions to hike out of the wooded area where he allegedly jumped? Then what? Hitchhike? Hitchhiking doesn't seem reasonable but it could be possible. Walk out of the woods to wherever he may have lived nearby. How well was the area of the jump searched by authorities?

DeDee...Great question...how did DB Cooper arrive at the airport? I have been interested in this case for quite sometime and your question has never popped in my head.
I would think, with all the publicity, that if he took a cab or bus, someone would have recognized him...
If he got a ride...was a second person involved?

I would like to think if DB survived this jump, he tucked away some money and parachute for when he died, it could be found and proven for true identity purposes...just a thought :)

I was a program last night on this case and saw scenes of people looking for Cooper and I noticed that everyone was looking straight ahead and down but no one was looking up. I wonder if Cooper could have gotten hung up in trees and dies and no one noticed.

I was a program last night on this case and saw scenes of people looking for Cooper and I noticed that everyone was looking straight ahead and down but no one was looking up. I wonder if Cooper could have gotten hung up in trees and dies and no one noticed.

I thought about this too. I guess it's possible, but you would think that if Cooper's chute got tangled up in some trees and/or it didn't open properly - and he died as a result of this - someone that was looking for him would have noticed this eventually. This is given that there were apparently numerous massive searches for him in the area.

However, again - this is still possible. If Cooper died this way and:

1) It was in a remote enough area, and/or his body was concealed by branches/foliage &
2) No one ever spotted the body

...then, it probably wouldn't have taken an extremely long time before the weather/elements & animals (i.e., vultures - if they were in that area) to have possibly removed most/all?! traces of him. As far as the remaining money (that wasn't found on the river bank in 1980) - this could have easily blown away & ended up anywhere.

Who is D B Cooper?

On Nov. 24, 1971, Northwest Orient Airlines Flight 305 was scheduled for a 30-minute hop from Portland, Ore., to Seattle that afternoon when a man dressed in a suit and carrying a briefcase bought a one-way ticket at the counter under the name Dan Cooper.

He took a seat near the back of the plane, which included 36 other passengers, and after it was airborne, about 3 p.m., handed flight attendant Florence Schaffner a note which she initially ignored < >

He leaned forward and whispered to her, "Miss, you'd better look at that note. I have a bomb."

... his demands: $200,000 in unmarked $20 bills [that is one thousand stack of $20 bills] and four parachutes

The flight crew — <> — convinced him the plane couldn't be flown to Mexico without refueling < > Cooper agreed to let the plane land in Reno

It departed Seattle <> 7:40 p.m. It was a dark and stormy night <>.

About 40 minutes in <> an indicator light showing the drop-down stairwell near the tail of the plane had opened.

The pilot then <> landing the plane at 11 p.m.<>

LE using police dogs searched the airport grounds. A search was also launched in a nearby Reno neighborhood.

All that was found in the plane was the clip-on black tie and mother of pearl tie tack Cooper had been wearing, two of the four parachutes and several cigarette butts.

"At this point, no one knew whether he was still on the plane,"

Cook < > believes William Gossett, a Korean and Vietnam war vet who died in 2003, was Cooper.

FBI, including < > Ralph Himmelsbach, has long believed the hijacker could have never survived the jump.
A tale of the '70s: When D.B. Cooper's plane landed in Reno

NORJAK

The link carries one to a treasure trove of research on DB Cooper. The owner of the website, DDent, is an amateur sleuth, if you know what I mean and I know that you do. DDent became fascinated with DB Cooper.

DDent is the man responsible for naming Milton B Vordahl [worked on the Manhatten Project; nuclear bomb released on Nagasaki; passed away in WA, 2002] as a possible suspect. Regardless, the images of the money are clear. His dark black tie from JC Penney is pictured with the white pearl tie pin. Cooper removed the tie prior to jumping. DD argues the flight attendant's interaction with Cooper verifies MBV would be the same age, att.

I'm fascinated by the find of the serial number banknotes that were discovered in 1980 that matched the ransom money.

Screenshot 2023-09-02 8.04.02 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-02 8.04.02 PM.png

Did DB Cooper wrap that cash in a J C Penney sheet???

IDK, that's for sure.
I would have thought a sheet outside for that long would be in worse condition. I have a couple from about 20 years ago that are rotting.

Cotton, cyclically wet, frozen, thawed, dried -- would decompose -- compost, if you prefer -- and become part of the forest floor.

Some poly content would slow that down.

Not sure how much natural fiber would be left after more than 40 years.

I still sew, and 100% cotton threads pulled from fabric disappear in my composter in a few months.

Odd to find that '70's era sheet outdoors, though, even "tattered." ooks fairly intact in the article? Curious for sure!

jmho ymmv lrr

An interesting find but although it has been identified as a very old sheet, a hobo may have left it there in fairly recent times (not 50 years ago)? I suspect if Cooper had dropped it there in 1971 it would have perished long ago.

The Kmart emblem that is showed on the white sheet was used between 1964 to 1969. I have never seen a Kmart emblem where the "K" is blue so not sure what to make of that.

From what I recall Cooper only brought on a suitcase so how did he get the white sheet on the plane?

The Kmart emblem that is showed on the white sheet was used between 1964 to 1969. I have never seen a Kmart emblem where the "K" is blue so not sure what to make of that.

From what I recall Cooper only brought on a suitcase so how did he get the white sheet on the plane?
Cooper had with him the suitcase with what looked like a bomb in it and a second item, a brown paper bag. Not sure it has has ever been discovered/disclosed what was in that bag but there have been many theories, including his lunch. Whether it was big enough to contain a folded up bed sheet I don't know, but suspect not.

Until recently I had never heard stewardess Tina Mucklow supposedly say she saw Cooper with a white item he may have used to wrap the money. Until then it had always been only the bag the money was delivered in from the bank and the parachutes he had demanded.

This sheet thing looks like a massive red herring. It seems unlikely he'd have a sheet that big, the sheet doesn't look like it's been sitting exposed in a rainforest for 50+ years, and even if it was from Cooper it basically tells us absolutely nothing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back