WA WA - D.B. Cooper Hijacking Mystery, 24 Nov 1971 #4

I always wondered that if Cooper didn’t survive the jump wouldn't somebody had reported him missing? Plus it was very much a national, even worldwide story. Almost anybody would had put two and two together if "Uncle Joe" or "Cousin George" suddenly stopped showing up for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and or birthday celebrations after 1971.

The mystery man known as "D.B. Cooper" actually signed on board the airliner as "Dan Cooper".

It was through an FBI mistake made in a hurry that incorrectly released the wrong name to the media and public. They were looking in the Seattle phone book for someone named "Dan Cooper" in an effort to better identify him or learn something about him, and the closest name they could find was "D.B. Cooper" (not the Hijacker). Somehow, this got leaked to the press and the rest is history.

The story of "Cooper" requesting two backpack parachutes and two reserve (front) chutes is intriguing. Although he did not say exactly why he wanted these, it was believed that he did so to indicate that he might make one of the aircrew members jump with him. In doing this (the theory goes), he wanted to ensure that the FBI did not give him inoperative parachutes - because to do so would endanger the life of a hostage.

In fact, one of the reserve chutes obtained was an inoperative "dummy" chute used at a jump school for classroom training. This was not intentional on the part of the FBI, but rather a mistake made by a jump school secretary when the FBI came to the school demanding chutes immediately.

Interesting podcast but the guy being interviewed saying Robert Rackstraw was D.B. Cooper is nothing new. The problem with Rackstraw being Cooper is that Cooper was said to be in his 40's and Rackstraw was only 28.

On the History Channel show D.B. Cooper: Case Closed? The flight attendant who interacted with Cooper the most was showed a photo of Rackstraw and she said it wasn't him. On that same show the guy sitting across aisle from Cooper saw a photo of Rackstraw and misidentified him as Richard McCoy Jr, the hijacker of United Airlines Flight 855

Interesting podcast but the guy being interviewed saying Robert Rackstraw was D.B. Cooper is nothing new. The problem with Rackstraw being Cooper is that Cooper was said to be in his 40's and Rackstraw was only 28.

On the History Channel show D.B. Cooper: Case Closed? The flight attendant who interacted with Cooper the most was showed a photo of Rackstraw and she said it wasn't him. On that same show the guy sitting across aisle from Cooper saw a photo of Rackstraw and misidentified him as Richard McCoy Jr, the hijacker of United Airlines Flight 855

I think it was Tina Mucklow who gave a definitive thumb's down on Rackstraw's picture. As she seemed very certain it wasn't him. Interesting to note that when Unexplained Mysteries did an episode on the hijacking in the mid 1980s the other flight attendant Florence Schaffner said none of the previous drawings of Cooper really matched what she remembered the hijacker to look like and had one redrawn and the DB Cooper in that one looked much older and nothing at like Rackstraw.

Attachments

• composite-c-schaffner-sketch-sluggo-book.jpg
    composite-c-schaffner-sketch-sluggo-book.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 13
There's an interesting 90m documentary on BBC iPlayer at the moment that gives an overview of the case and conducts interviews with various people claiming Cooper was from their respective families. In terms of information I don't think it'll provide people here with much that's new, but it's certainly worth a watch.

‘Charming’ D.B. Cooper suspect Sheridan Peterson dies at 94, spent years dedicated to political causes

UTJPQR6AIJBV7BFT6BETHPPNQ4.JPG

Any results on this? Plenty of news coverage on their plans to do it from a few days ago, but nothing about if they found anything. I’m guessing not, or we would have heard something.

Last edited:
Could someone please provided a synopsis? I can't view the link because I'm in Europe.

Could someone please provided a synopsis? I can't view the link because I'm in Europe.

On November 24, 1971, a middle-aged man carrying a black briefcase approached the flight counter of Northwest Orient Airlines at Portland International Airport. He identified himself as "Dan Cooper" and used cash to purchase a one-way ticket on Flight 305, a 30-minute trip north to Seattle, Washington. Cooper boarded the aircraft, a Boeing 727-100, and took his seat and ordered a drink. Eyewitnesses described a man in his mid-40s, wearing a business suit with a black tie and white shirt.

Shortly after takeoff, Cooper handed a note to Florence Schaffner, a flight attendant. Schaffner, assuming the note contained a lonely businessman's phone number, dropped it unopened into her purse. Cooper leaned toward her and whispered, "Miss, you'd better look at that note. I have a bomb."

Schaffner did as requested, then quietly asked to see the bomb. Cooper opened his briefcase long enough for her to glimpse eight red cylinders. After closing the briefcase, he stated his demands: $200,000 in "negotiable American currency"; four parachutes (two primary and two reserve); and a fuel truck standing by in Seattle to refuel the aircraft upon arrival. Schaffner conveyed Cooper's instructions to the pilots in the cockpit; when she returned, Cooper was wearing dark sunglasses.

The captain, William A. Scott (1920–2001) contacted Seattle air traffic control, which informed local and federal authorities. The 35 other passengers were told that their arrival in Seattle would be delayed because of a "minor mechanical difficulty". Northwest Orient's president authorized payment of the ransom, and ordered all employees to cooperate fully with the hijacker's demands. The aircraft circled for approximately two hours to allow Seattle police and the FBI sufficient time to assemble Cooper's parachutes and ransom money, and to mobilize emergency personnel.

FBI agents assembled the ransom money from several Seattle-area banks—10,000 , 20-dollar bills and made a photograph of each of them. Cooper rejected the military-issue parachutes offered by McChord AFB personnel, instead demanding civilian parachutes with manually operated ripcords.

Coopers demands were met and he released most of his hostages.

At approximately 7:40 p.m., the Boeing 727 took off with only Cooper, captain Scott, flight attendant Mucklow, first officer Rataczak, and flight engineer Harold E. Anderson on board.

Two F-106 fighter aircraft from McChord Air Force Base followed behind the airliner, one above it and one below.

After takeoff, Cooper told flight attendant Mucklow to join the rest of the crew in the cockpit and remain there with the door closed. As she complied, Mucklow observed Cooper tying something, possibly the money bag, around his waist.

At approximately 8:00 p.m., a warning light flashed in the cockpit, indicating that the aft airstair apparatus had been activated. Rataczak offered assistance via the aircraft's intercom system, which Cooper refused. This was the last communication the crew had with him.[ The crew soon noticed a subjective change of air pressure, indicating that the aft door was open.

At approximately 8:13 p.m., the aircraft's tail section sustained a sudden upward movement, large enough to require trimming to bring the plane back to level flight. At approximately 10:15 p.m., Scott and Rataczak landed the 727, with the aft airstair still deployed, at Reno airport. FBI agents, state troopers, sheriff's deputies, and Reno police surrounded the jet, as it had not yet been determined with certainty that Cooper was no longer aboard; but an armed search quickly confirmed his absence.

"Dan Cooper" or "D.B. Cooper" as he came to be called was never identified or captured. In 1980, a bundle of bills which were part of the ransom were discovered in a remote area near Vancouver, Washington.

LINK:

D. B. Cooper - Wikipedia

I don't think they are going to find anything and am not sure what they found that makes them believe that the money and parachute is only 10 to 15 yards away.
This seems like it would be extremely futile. FBI I think already surveyed and dug around that whole area.

Considering if there was anything additional buried there, it would have been up to 50 years ago. With the activity on the river(dredging, erosion, etc), previous searches, plus deterioration it seems unlikely there would be anything left to be found.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back