GUILTY WA - Diego Rios-Santana, 7 mos, found dead in firepit, Federal Way, 21 June 2008

Okay for the sake of discussion. Have you ever smelled burning or burned flesh? That is a smell that you would know was out of the ordinary. How could he be laying by the fire pit and not, at a minimum, think WTF is that smell:confused:

I have but that's not the point. If he was passed out he would not have smelled anything. I was just putting out an idea of how the baby may have gotten into the fire pit.

I have but that's not the point. If he was passed out he would not have smelled anything. I was just putting out an idea of how the baby may have gotten into the fire pit.

I too would like to know how the baby got in there.

Well if the baby couldnt crawl...he certainly never got in there by himself. That much is obvious:behindbar

Sometimes when a baby can't quite crawl yet they are able to roll. I have seen this many times with my own kids and my grand daughter. They can roll pretty quickly from one spot to another..across my 21 foot kitchen floor in no time. I was wondering if maybe the baby fell off Dad's chest and rolled toward the firepit and landed in it?

But I still can't figure out where the dog and the whole in the baby's head come into this death? Anyone have any ideas about that part?

I wonder if the 4 year old put the baby on the ground then went back in the house.

I also wonder if the dog tried to save the baby and that's where the hole in the head comes from.

I am wondering if possibly the baby rolled off the father and hit its head on something as it fell and rolled into the fire. May have been unconsious? Would account for hole in the head....or sorry but...maybe the hole is the soft spot. Also was the baby burned bad enough that the cinders were from his skin or were they from whatever was burning in the pit previously that he fell on?

Also we don't know how well they speak english. Did the mother call 911and say my baby is bit or burnt? Did the dispatcher hear 'bit' and assume by a dog?

I think the faint possibility of the baby rolling off him and into the pit accidentally all depends on how far that pit was from the bench but I am not convinced this was accidental.......I still cant fathom the mother leaving that baby outside at midnight....where was she....what was she doing? Didnt she check on her kids...who was minding the 4 year old as she was gone when the dad woke up..and if the 4 year old was with the mother then again...why wasnt the mother watching her baby......as u can tell I have lots of questions lol

For a horrible death he's facing 21-27 months in prison if convicted as charged. The baby had a hole in it's skull, although they don't know how it occured. And this guy is only charged with manslaughter?

http://www.komonews.com/news/22104964.html

The King County Prosecutor's Office Friday filed second-degree manslaughter charges against the father of a 7-month-old baby who died after falling into a fire pit at the family's Federal Way home. (more at link)

Also we don't know how well they speak english. Did the mother call 911and say my baby is bit or burnt? Did the dispatcher hear 'bit' and assume by a dog?

Or maybe "pit"?

For a horrible death he's facing 21-27 months in prison if convicted as charged. The baby had a hole in it's skull, although they don't know how it occured. And this guy is only charged with manslaughter?

http://www.komonews.com/news/22104964.html

The King County Prosecutor's Office Friday filed second-degree manslaughter charges against the father of a 7-month-old baby who died after falling into a fire pit at the family's Federal Way home. (more at link)

Unreal!!:furious: I think the penalty should be much more severe. There would have to be some serious evidence to the contrary for me to think anything other than a murder occurred here.

Well, he's an illegal alien IIRC. So he's out of here after he serves his time, right?

Ohhh, I don't know if I want to read the charging docs... :(

Well, he's an illegal alien IIRC. So he's out of here after he serves his time, right?

Ohhh, I don't know if I want to read the charging docs... :(

I don't blame you. Let me just say that the hole in the babies head was not a dog bite. It was a large hole.

I read them. That poor, poor baby. :(

It sounds accidental to me, and it was really, really stupid to fall asleep with a baby like that. :mad:

Do you remember the case about the 12 year old girl who was tortured and murdered by another group of girls a while back? her COD was smoke inhalation-even though the smoke was generated from her own body burning. The heated air causes suffocation.

IMHO, an infant in a fire wouldn't make much noise, their first inhalation of superheated air would pretty much take out the baby's airway and in turn suffocate them and they'd be gone very quickly (and in this case, mercifully).

The hole in the skull bothers me, too. Possible scenarios: (1) there was a blow to the head from rolling/falling off the dad's chest -or- (2) the soft spot or fontanel -- and at this weakened spot(s) the fire burned through skull.

I'm usually just a lurker - but just had to put in my .02 cents worth.

ndb

IMHO, an infant in a fire wouldn't make much noise, their first inhalation of superheated air would pretty much take out the baby's airway and in turn suffocate them and they'd be gone very quickly (and in this case, mercifully).

The hole in the skull bothers me, too. Possible scenarios: (1) there was a blow to the head from rolling/falling off the dad's chest -or- (2) the soft spot or fontanel -- and at this weakened spot(s) the fire burned through skull.

I'm usually just a lurker - but just had to put in my .02 cents worth.

ndb

I didn't think about the baby inhaling all that and then not being able to scream/yell/cry. You've probably described the situation. I also think it was just that the soft spot burned away... :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back