Aug is Utah Cold Case month and the Utah Cold Case Coalition is featuring Rosie Tapia's case
Click on Rosie Tapia's Thread and help Websleuths find Rosie's killer

WA WA - Donna Van Zandt, 33, Quinault, April 2014

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by OkieGranny, Aug 29, 2014.

1. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

[​IMG]

http://www.theolympian.com/2014/08/...vehicle-leads-to-search.html?sp=/99/101/&rh=1

Donna's FB: https://www.facebook.com/donna.vanzandt

2. Loading...

3. JeannaT

JeannaT Former Member

That is so profoundly sad - that a woman was missing since April and no one missed her, and it took LE locating her car and calling around about the owner to stir up any kind of missing persons report.

4. ClaireNC

ClaireNC Well-Known Member

So sad that she has been missing since April and nobody noticed until they found her car.

Here is her LinkedIn profile. (I hope it's ok to think this.) https://www.linkedin.com/in/donnavz

It looks like she was working as a consultant most recently, which could mean she was working independently so not going into an office every day. Would explain why nobody missed her at work.

I wonder about a boyfriend or significant other. Her FB page doesn't show much, but there is reference to a man who's name starts with S.

5. ClaireNC

ClaireNC Well-Known Member

6. Aunt_Tulip

Aunt_Tulip Active Member

The Washington State Elementary School Chess Championship was held in Seattle on April 12th, 2014.

7. DayLea

DayLea Member

Old articles:

Abandoned vehicle leads to search for Seattle woman
    August 29, 2014
    http://www.theolympian.com/news/local/article26076622.html

Vehicle of missing Seattle woman found abandoned near Neilton
    August 25, 2014
    http://kbkw.com/vehicle-of-missing-seattle-woman-found-abandoned-near-neilton/
    Donna-Van-Zandt-car-1024x768.jpg

Missing Seattle woman’s car found in Grays Harbor County
    August 28, 2014 at 4:40 PM
    http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2014/08/missing-seattle-womans-car-found-in-grays-harbor-county/

Missing woman’s car found in Neilton forest
    August 26, 2014
    http://www.kxro.com/missing-womans-car-found-in-neilton-forest/

Missing woman’s car found— Information on her whereabouts sought
    8:30 am - August 28, 2014
    http://southbeachbulletin.com/news/missing-woman%E2%80%99s-car-found%E2%80%94-information-her-whereabouts-sought.html

8. DayLea

DayLea Member

Haven't had any luck finding info regarding her father's murder. According to this link (http://www.idahochessassociation.org/NWC_201301_opt_color.pdf), his name is Vladimir; I haven't been able to locate a last name or any other info.

Some family drama rumors can be found on chess.com, easily via Google.

9. Lastwaltz

Lastwaltz New Member

I came across this case by accident while checking up on the latest news regarding Lindsey Baum (missing from McCleary, about an hour and a half from Neilton) A basic Google search shows how active Donna was; she was an avid hiker and biker. She also responded to a Meetup snowshoeing post...I'm sure LE has followed up on these activities and isn't ruling anything out.

10. Onebest

Onebest Member

Where did Donna get her last name?

11. kbitar

kbitar New Member

Odd - I can't find much on the disappearance of Donna Van Zandt. I see that there was a pending DV between her and Steven Desrosier about 4 months before her disappearance. Does anyone have any current updates on this case?

12. kbitar

kbitar New Member

Yes, I found a DV court case between her and Steven Desrosier about 4 months before she went missing.

13. KateB

KateB New Member

14. zencompass

zencompass Well-Known Member

Sending prayers of love and comfort to Donna. I hope she is safe.

15. Springrain

Springrain Buckskin Girl was Marcia King

Any updates?

16. AgentWest

AgentWest New Member

hello all. Brand new to this site, but I have heard of you and appreciate all you do.

I'm a personal friend of Donna's. Her disappearance was a shock to us as well, and having no answers has bothered me immensely for years.

Here's what I know.

Donna was married to a personal friend of mine, but they split a few months before she went missing. She had an affair. I think she was having a bit of a meltdown due to the death of her mother, and was calling into question her marriage, and monogamy as a whole. I don't know much about the father, we never talked about him.

I'm not sure if the affair was with Steve, but she eventually got involved with him, as well as with drugs. Donna has a history of prostitution, and heavy drug use. At one point there was mention of Steve having some guns, not sure the details on that. Her demeanor at this time was very rash, unstable, and alarming. For her to disappear at that time didn't surprise anyone, because we all assumed she was going down that path of drugs with Steve, and we were supporting the husband at that time. It didn't seem like anything really serious had happened (well, except her being on drugs and completely changing her demeanor).

She had quit her job at some point, so to be honest, there wasn't really anyone to notice her missing. Both parents dead, not many friends, no co-workers. Anyway, when we (her husband) got the call from the detective that her car had been found, of course we were incredibly worried. But what do you do? It had been four months since the car had been abandoned, with weeds and foliage growing up and around it.

I'm very interested in the DV case. I didn't know that had been filed.

Anyway, that's what I know. Again, I appreciate all you do.

17. AgentWest

AgentWest New Member

I have another question. There was a court case with a FILE date of July 31st, 3 months after she went missing. For a case to be filed, does the defendant have to be present?

[​IMG]
    tiny image attached

Attached Files:

18. kbitar

kbitar New Member

This is an interesting missing person case. I made contact with her family in Russia and they were surprised that nothing was being done on her case. However, not sure what could be done at this point. I don't live too far from where her car was found. I found it interesting that she would be in that area as there really isn't much there - unless you enjoy hiking and nature - it's pretty empty and without anything in the area really. I appreciate the friend's insight - I was suprised to hear about the drugs and prostitution. I thought I read somewhere that the car door was left open. That seems very odd to me - like maybe someone tried to get out of the car quickly?

19. Charlot123

Charlot123 New Member

Internet articles mentions Donna participating in bike marathons, and for this, she must have been quite fit. Strenuous training required for such events is at odds with drugs and prostituting.

Most articles I have read about Donna contain mistakes. Donna's father, indeed, had been killed in NY, but it happened in late 1990es - early 2000es. (His name was Vladimir Petukhov. It is a common Russian name and unfortunately, one of recently killed oligarchs bore the same name, so Googling leads us nowhere). However, there should have been enough time for Donna to recover from the tragic event. Donna's mother died in November of 2012, so January of 2014 was not an anniversary of either death.

Chess forums have a post citing information provided by Donna's ex-husband. True or not, what he wrote is not indicative of any bond existing between the mother and the daughter.

Most of all, while prostitutes are at a very high risk of being harmed, I do not want AgentWest's post to disconcert people from looking for Donna. Hers is a tragic story. From a practical point, there was another person killed in the neighborhood where Donna had been found, and some killer living nearby might still be at loose.

Perhaps genetic criminology might help the police solve the crime?