WA WA - Donna Van Zandt, 33, Quinault, April 2014

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by OkieGranny, Aug 29, 2014.

1. TrickyC66

TrickyC66 New Member

I check in on this case from time to time; I was friends with Donna in High School; she was the first person I considered a "girlfriend", although she was leagues ahead of me in maturity and life experience.
    I went to her house a few times back then, and would talk to her often about her parents. There were definitely implications that her father was relatively seriously involved in some kind of underground activity, and that even at the time, she was involved in / pressured to be involved in that activity as well.

At the time she went missing, she and I had reconnected as friends on FB; it was clear that, as different as we were back then, our lives had diverged greatly in the interim - so we never really got back in touch.

News of her disappearance impacted me greatly, remembering who she was, and who she had wanted to be. I just signed up for this account to say I am grateful for a community dedicated to answers and exploration of the truth.

2. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Maybe I have to take some time off.

Welcome TrickyC and thanks for your post. Could she have gone to Russia? Guess not, as another member checked in with her family there. Pondering....

3. TrickyC66

TrickyC66 New Member

Looking over our limited inbox conversations, she mentions an "engagement to a British guy" whose mother was a therapist; she said she still talked to her in that capacity back in 2009. I don't have access to her FB friends, but that sounds like somebody she may have confided in for some time before and after.

Charlot123 and Bit of hope like this.
  4. Charlot123

Charlot123 Well-Known Member

Extremely unlikely.

It might be not easy to understand that Russian-American kids feel and behave like any foreign transplants. If they are brought into the country early enough, they try to do everything possible to integrate. They often forget their mother tongue, or speak it so poorly that it is of no use in their birth countries. And definitely all immigrant kids grow up with American mentality.

Donna was brought in to the US a young girl, she must have been around ten? Judging by the memoirs written by a once-famous Russian chess player, both parents eventually moved to the US, although separately. Donna's mother lived in Seattle; her father, in New York or New Jersey. And then, he must have been killed in late 1990es-early 2000es. Not recently. The parents never reconnected, and according to the author of the memoirs, the father was killed by an illegal worker he brought in from Georgia. Case closed, long time ago. No links there, it seems. Both of Donna's ex-husbands were Americans. She might have changed her first name so it would sound more American. Her mother was not connected with Russia, as she was considered a defector. According to her biography/some articles, she visited Russia once to play in some tournament.

I am thinking of how lonely a person living in a large city can be. Her abandoned car was found first, and then people realized she had not been seen for a while.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Suglo and Bit of hope like this.
  5. frenchiemomma

frenchiemomma Member

I was "browsing" Namus and came across this unidentified person: Unidentified Person Case
    Which i thought kind of resembles Donna.
    What do you guys think?
    The place were the body was found is only a bit over 2 hours away from where her car was found.
    The body was found in a forrest. Hiking was one of Donna's hobbies.

Charlot123 and Bit of hope like this.
  6. AgentWest

AgentWest New Member

I’m very interested in this. Something about that orange hat struck a familiar chord with me. I’m digging through her Facebook pics looking for that hat, but as a last resort I’ll show it to her ex husband. As hard as that would be.
    THANK YOU for this! It definitely strikes me as Donna, but obviously I’m not going to jump to any conclusions.
    I’ll let you know what the ex says, he’d definitely remember a hat like that.

7. Bit of hope

The mentioned UID also has a thread here on WS, maybe you find something of interest there as well. https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...umpqua-river-near-gardiner-1-oct-2016.318926/

Charlot123 and Really? like this.
  8. Bit of hope

Here is her flickr account with sharp pictures of her face, so you can see her smile (and her teeth) Donna Van Zandt

IMG_1386

Really? likes this.
  9. frenchiemomma

frenchiemomma Member

Dear Agent West, Did you have any luck? maybe i/we can help looking through her facebook etc.?

10. frenchiemomma

frenchiemomma Member

I made an attemp to photoshop the UID's teeth on to Donna.
    This is the result: [​IMG]

What do you guys think?
    I also posted this on the thread of the UID.

11. frenchiemomma

frenchiemomma Member

Ok guys i found something.
    I was searching on Facebook for Donna's profile and saw that a lady had posted this to a page:
    "Has anyone heard from or anything about Donna Vanzandt? This is the first time in over 20 years I haven't heard from her at Christmas time. :( "
    So i googled the page and it's McNeil Islandsy. Guess what came up:
    "McNeil Island is an island in the northwest United States in south Puget Sound, located southwest of Tacoma, Washington. With a land area of 6.6319 square ..."
    This is what was found on the UID: "Two metal water bottles, one with writing/logo for the 2010 class alumni of the University of Puget Sound."

Ps. i have messaged the lady from the post to ask if it was "Our" Donna van Zandt she is talking about

Bit of hope likes this.
  12. Bit of hope

Very interesting. I hope the lady replies. Do you know a date of this post?

13. frenchiemomma

frenchiemomma Member

Yes the date of her post is January 4 of this year

Bit of hope likes this.
  14. Bit of hope

That could mean she heard from "our" Donna for the last time in 2017 ("This is the first time in over 20 years I haven't heard from her at Christmas time", so last Chrisman) and "our" Dona was missing since 2014 but was still alive or this is another Donna.

15. frenchiemomma

frenchiemomma Member

Yeah that’s why I sent her a message. It could also be she is mistaken. But I’m very curious what her answer is going to be

Bit of hope likes this.
  16. frenchiemomma

frenchiemomma Member

She hasn’t replied yet. So I applied to join the McNeil Islandsy group to see if I can reply to her post there. And I’ll message the page itself to ask if they knew Donna.
    If I don’t get any reply what should I do next?
    I mean McNeil Islandsy is in Puget Sound. And that is what is on the water bottle that was found. Do I contact a contact person from the Namus site?

@AgentWest have you had any luck yet?
    Or could you ask the (ex)husband before I contact Law Enforcement etc.

17. AgentWest

AgentWest New Member

Sorry guys, apparently this site only notifies me occasionally when I have new messages
    I reached out to the ex, and he immediately did not recognize the hat. He was a pretty recent ex before she went missing, so unless she bought it just before going missing...
    Also, I have access to her private (or friends only) Facebook, and literally went through every picture - no hat.
    Regarding this Ulum thing... what can I ask the ex? If she went to that school?

Bit of hope likes this.
  18. frenchiemomma

frenchiemomma Member

You can show him the other things they found. And ask him if he know what McNeil Island(sy) is. A lady named Jeanette Sills posted on that page if anyone had heard from Donna van Zandt

Bit of hope likes this.
  19. frenchiemomma

frenchiemomma Member

I can finally post a reply on the Facebook page of McNeil Islandsy and have asked her (and indirectly everyone on that page) if she meant “our” Donna van Zandt. I included Donna’s Facebook page to be sure.

So fingers crossed we get a reply soon

Really? and Bit of hope like this.
  20. frenchiemomma

frenchiemomma Member

Ok I messaged an old friend of Donna and I explained who I am, and I told her what we (the awesome people here on websleuths) are doing.
    And she messaged me and she really wants to help.

So I have sent her the pictures of the items found with the Jane Doe and I've also asked her if McNeil Island(sy) and Puget Sound mean anything to her.
    I explained about the FB post on the McNeil Islandsy page.

Again keep crossing your fingers guys!!