WA WA - Donna Van Zandt, 33, Quinault, April 2014

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by OkieGranny, Aug 29, 2014.

1. frenchiemomma

frenchiemomma Member

I just wanted to let you guys know that I emailed LE with my findings.
    I'll keep you posted if i hear anything.

Wowno17 and Charlot123 like this.

2. Charlot123

Charlot123 Well-Known Member

Puget Sound is huge. University of Puget Sound is in Tacoma, a large city. The water bottle with the logo is not even remarkable.
    However, if they suspect it is Donna, verification is possible.

3. frenchiemomma

frenchiemomma Member

Hi Charlot,
    I agree that it is/might be a stretch with the waterbottle.
    But they would be "more logical" to be found with Donna than with other missing women.
    I just hope we can get them to do a DNA test to at least exclude her.

Charlot123 likes this.
  4. Charlot123

Trying to revive this thread, but also find some connections.

I wonder if Lindsey Baum, who disappeared in Grays Harbor in 2009 and whose remainders were found very far in 2017, the victim of the same person who is related to Donna’s disappearance? Both cases are related to Grays Harbor. The two points are at a distance of 1 hr 16 min per map, but there are several towns on that semi-circle. And a ghost town in Olympic forest that is on the direct line between both. Abandoned logger’s town could be a lair.
    Grisdale
    But I am not a local.

FOUND DECEASED - WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009

Lindsey’s remains were found close to Ellensberg in 2017. Does it make sense to look for more remains around?

Only 5 years between 2009 and 2014.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  5. erik28

erik28 THINK before you speak

Cross connecting if allowed. Remains found in relative close proximity in a very remote/isolated rural area- not yet identified- gender not yet known. Hopefully local law enforcement still has this missing person case on their radar if it has remained unresolved.

Bit of hope and Charlot123 like this.
  6. erik28

"The location was a very remote logging road approximately 5 miles in on Quinault Ridge Road. A deputy was eventually able to make his way to the vehicle and determined the car most likely had been at the location for several months due to the vegetation that had grown up around the car. The keys to the vehicle were still inside in addition to camping and hiking gear. There was no other obvious information to indicate what may have happened to the driver/occupants." Vehicle of missing Seattle woman found abandoned near Neilton • Newstalk KBKW

Quinault Ridge Road and Donkey Creek Road (where remains were found May 27, 2020) are part of the same network of intersecting National Forest roads to the east of Highway 101 on the lower Olympic Peninsula, Washington State. Contractor finds human remains in remote area in Grays Harbor

"Detectives from the Sheriff’s Office and the Grays Harbor County Coroner’s Office were called Tuesday evening to a remote area off Donkey Creek Road for the death investigation."

7. Charlot123

Simple reading of Wikipedia article about Elena Donaldson, Donna’s deceased mothers, indicates that DNA identification is possible in Donna’s case. But whoever the new remains belong to...I wish that they end up having a name.

8. erik28

I am local to this area and am familiar with these roads and back country logging/multi-use areas. Do previous posters know if the car was found with the door open? Vehicle of missing Seattle woman found abandoned near Neilton • Newstalk KBKW

Was there any sign that the car had been ransacked?

From viewing the Flickr link, it is shown that Donna's interests included travel, home renovation, nature, backyard chickens and gardening, sailing, chess, and possibly mushroom hunting. It is somewhat common for at least one mushroom hunter to be lost and found via search annually in this area, but it would be highly uncommon for one to be on a search while leaving the keys in their vehicle and their door ajar.

This is an area where cougars roam freely, although sightings are rare and attacks on adult humans virtually unknown, however reports of cougar stalkings or encounters on hikes do exist. It is possibly more common to encounter people or traces of people up to nefarious activity including methamphetamine production, illegal dumping, wildlife poaching, squatting, and unlicensed timber harvest. It is highly common for people to use this area for hunting, target practice, horseback riding, off-road vehicles, hiking/camping, and legal forest-products harvesting. There is also a long history of "partying" on river gravel bars nearby.

Local law enforcement and search and rescue are well-versed in recovering people lost in this incredibly dense forest that has no cell-signal coverage (especially in 2014) and limited satellite gps coverage. But since there were likely months between the car being abandoned (last contact April 2014, vehicle found August 2014) and it being found by hunters, it is so difficult to imagine the search conducted at the time would turn up results- although reports show they did search for a day.

It is actually surprising that the vehicle was not trashed, as that commonly happens quickly to abandoned vehicles in this area, but is less likely on National Forest land than on adjacent state logging-lease land.

9. erik28

I linked the original news-outlet report for Donna Van Zandt missing person to the current local sheriff's Facebook article on the remains found in hopes they can reconnect if the remains turn out to be female. It is always awful to have potential remains in a missing persons case and I have so much compassion for those involved. It turns out there are local reports of at least one other potential missing person specific to this road, but they are "word of mouth." I haven't been using this site in a while and don't recall if linking the LE Facebook post is allowed.

10. Charlot123

(Cut for brevity).

There was one huge mistake in the article.

“Family members did explain that in January of this year, Van Zandt’s father was apparently murdered in New York, and April was the 2nd anniversary of her mother’s passing.”

I doubt it was said by the family members, as they ought to have known it very well, but Donna’s father Vladimir Petukhov was murdered in NY by his companion not in “January of this year” (i.e., when Donna disappeared), but approximately in 1998-1999, so, over 15 years before the described events.

I believe it is the mistake of the author of the article, and it had been repeated in several other sources. But father being killed three months before daughter disappears, vs 16 years earlier, makes a huge difference.

As to the condition of the car, I was told by the friend of the family that the door was opened, the keys were in the car and Donna’s backpack was in the car, too.

I had seen Donna only once or twice, briefly, but I noticed her stuttering, that got very strong in the presence of some people, and at other times, disappeared. Those who try to reconstruct her last days might find it useful. It is my feeling that she stuttered in the presence of people whom she viewed as critical of her. JMO.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Bit of hope and erik28 like this.
  11. erik28

Deleted by author. Cross posted

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  12. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Maybe I have to take some time off.

For the record: The above suggested Jane Doe, being possibly Donna is identified as Genelle McDaniel (Namus file is down now)
    'The efforts of many people finally gave this mystery woman a name'

frenchiemomma, Charlot123 and Calixo like this.
  13. erik28

Finding remains is always sad and fraught: not Donna Van Zandt

**HOMICIDE INVESTIGATION**

On 05-26-20 the Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Office recovered human remains in a remote area off of Donkey Creek Road. Grays Harbor County Coroner Kegel sent the remains to the King County Medical Examiner’s Office for examination. The remains have been positively identified as Aberdeen resident Nathan Loring. The examination revealed that Loring died as a result of homicidal violence. Loring was a 40 year old white male and was reported as a missing person out of the Aberdeen Police Department in March of 2020. Loring was last seen in south Aberdeen in late February. Detectives from the Aberdeen Police Department and the Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Office are working together to solve this case. If anyone has information on the disappearance or death of Nathan Loring please contact Aberdeen PD Detective Cox or Detective Sgt. Paul Logan through the dispatch non-emergency line 360-533-8765. APD case #20-A08427. GHSO case #20-9095.

Undersheriff Brad Johansson

14. Bit of hope

DBM

15. gokyo

gokyo New Member

I met Donna in 2002 or so. Saw her a lot for a few years but lost touch and probably the last time I saw her was 2008 or something like that. Really sad to hear she disappeared, but even sadder to hear how far she fell. When I knew her she was quite young - I guess 21 or so. I thought she was pretty put together for that age though, had a job at Lifelong Aids Alliance, owned her own place in a co-op on Capitol Hill, didn't really drink or do drugs and was quite sweet, even a bit naive. An interesting past given her family and where she was from. When I first read this thread I flat out could not believe the talk about bad crowds, drugs, or prostitution, but then I did lose track of her. What's clear though is she was arrested for possession of meth and refusing to leave the property of a guy she had been staying with for a week after meeting him on craigslist in Port Townsend. Police report made it sound like she was there with her car stuffed with all her possessions. So given her possible situation - facing a drug charge and likely felony conviction, living in her car, likely few friends and family - it's not a stretch to think she might be feeling hopeless about her situation and future. She could be the victim of a homicide and she could have just given up, it's a sad story regardless.

JrzyGirl70, Bit of hope and Frannie like this.
  16. Charlot123

Donna’s car was found so far away from Seattle, in Quinault. Of interest, 1 hour away, along the same road in McCleasy, a 14-year old girl had disappeared in 2009...her remains were recently found in Eastern WA.

(As a known poster in another thread has mentioned, putting distance between the kidnapping place and the remains means the person might wish to conceal the connection between himself and the victim.)

Remains of Grays Harbor County girl missing since 2009 found in Eastern Washington

Now, looking an the map of Olympic forest, there is 1 hour between MCCleary where the girl was abducted and Quinault where Donna’s car was found, but it there is virtually one road there.

In short, I wonder if there is a SK with a lair in Olympic forest area. Montesano? Aberdeen?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  17. Bit of hope

Welcome @gokyo and thank you for sharing this information. I agree with you that it's very sad her life seems to have spiraled down in such a way.

18. JrzyGirl70

JrzyGirl70 Well-Known Member

From reading some of the articles about Donna's mother, it appears that she has a half brother Nicholas.

Charlot123 likes this.
  19. Bit of hope

Some additional information from all kind of sources.

Donna Petukhova VanZandt/ Van Zandt Still not known how she got the Van Zandt name.

DOB August 1981, in 2020 39 yrs (lather per Namus)

From Familysearch
    Married August 2003 with J.K.L., Divorced J.K.L. June 23, 2005

Married R.D.S, June 7, 2012 King County, Washington, Divorced R.D.S. December 11, 2013

According to the Tacoma Daily of January 8, 2014 the case was ruled as a dismissal. Tacoma Daily Index, January 08, 2014

Missing since April 28, 2014 from Neilton, Grays Harbor County, Washington, (what was her connection to Neilton?) car found August 2014 in the Olympic National Forest near Neilton, WA.

Her mother died on November 18, 2012. Of course she could have mourned about her mother when she went missing, but I don’t see an immediate relation with her mother’s dead date nor her father’s.

A lot of reports say that her car was found with camping and hiking gear. If the police report is suggesting that her car was stuffed with all her possessions (sounds to me much more then camping and hiking gear) round the incident with "Steve" (S.G.D) living in Port Townsend?, where did all her other stuff go. Could she have stashed it at an acquaintance, was her stuff still at Steve's, did she rented a storage place?

According to the Tacoma Daily of January 8, 2014 the case was ruled as a dismissal.
    Tacoma Daily Index, January 08, 2014

I couldn't find details about the court case with file date 07-31-2014.

In the Namus file there is a tattoo on her ankle mentioned, not specified. Looking at her Flickr pictures, I think it’s a pictures of poppies. According to this pictures she has also a tattoo with the word “Vladimir” above her left? breast (not sure which site, pictures are often turned, above your heart seems appropriate) I think Donna's loved ones should ask LE to add this to the Namus file.

Donna Van Zandt’s albums | Flickr

upload_2020-10-18_17-44-32.png

upload_2020-10-18_17-44-50.png

upload_2020-10-18_17-45-12.png

upload_2020-10-18_17-45-27.png

Elena (Donna’s mother) was born Yelena Bronislavovna Akhmilovskaya on March 11, 1957 in Leningrad, USSR, married a couple of times.

- Elena’s first husband, Vladimir Petukhov, was a premier league rugby player in the Georgian capital city of Tbilisi. They married in 1980 and the next year they moved to Sochi, where Elena gave birth to a daughter, Donna. http://uscf1-nyc1.aodhosting.com/CL-AND-CR-ALL/CL-ALL/2013/2013_02.pdf

- W.J.D. William John Donaldson - Wikipedia

According to wiki: At the 1988 Olympiad in Thessaloniki, Donaldson married Elena Akhmilovskaya, a member of the Soviet team. Afterwards, while the tournament was still going on, the couple immediately travelled to the United States. They divorced approximately one year later.

According to Family Search they were married in 1988 in Manhattan, New York and divorced on October 30, 1991 in King County, Washington

I wonder wish version of events is correct.....I believe they immediately fled to the States and married there.

- G.O., on January 31, 1995. Donna’s stepdad (Father of N.O, Donna’s stepbrother and Head Instructor at Chess Academy in Redmond and Seattle)

From a Chess forum Please Take Notice - Chess Forums Donna's first ex-husband is commenting. This really touched my heart. A very sweet thing to say. There is more to the story, but I want to share only this on here.

..................I'm her first ex-husband and, while our marriage was rocky and divorce was necessary, I know that deep down, no matter how troubled she was, she was still a good person etc.

JrzyGirl70 likes this.
  20. gokyo

gokyo New Member

Yeah, but she was arrested in Port Townsend and was making court appearances there so she would have been staying out on peninsula in all likelihood and not in Seattle.