WA - Four killed in Pilchuk High School shooting, Marysville, 24 Oct 2014

I reckon the long text to his family was pre-written the night before, hence the mistake of using the word "tomorrow". He then just sent it when he was ready to do it.

He clearly planned this - he set the date, he wrote the will, he got the gun, he gathered those he wanted to kill. Sorry to anyone here in "Team Jaylen" but the kid was a murderer. Shame nobody saw it coming but I guess it was written off as typical teenage angst, why he is being glorified I will never understand.

Count me among those disgusted by the "hero worship" of JF. I can't imagine how the families of the victims must feel seeing those Team Jaylen shirts being worn. Forgiveness is one thing but I just don't understand the glorification of the murderer in this case. It reminds me of a murder-suicide in my hometown back in 2004. Popular senior football player shot and killed his ex-girlfriend before shooting himself in the head. I remember reading how the football team wore black ribbons in his memory at one of the football games and thinking to myself, "Why are they celebrating the life of a murderer?" I just don't understand. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims and JF.

It would be one of two things IMO

1. They associate the action of killing with a force of evil independent to the soul they are grieving.
2. They accept the blame for not seeing the signs and not securing the gun.

Because Jayden was a child, and because it is integral to their spirituality they choose forgiveness. Observing this through a prism of geographic and cultural distance may make it look like hero worship to you and I.

The tribe have repeatedly said they don't condone his actions.

'Team Jaylen' is an old thing related to his diabetes, and diabetes and health are taken very seriously by his extended family, hence a gym culture they have going to encourage all of them to look after their health. Jaylen died a few weeks short of an annual diabetes gathering where they wear blue shirts to support people with diabetes, and many wanted to wear their 'Team Jaylen' shirts from a previous gathering. I believe they compete at that gathering with fitness tasks. I also believe there is absolutely nothing sinister about 'Team Jaylen' AT ALL. It is from a time when they were 'there for him', unlike that morning when their lapse in being there for him had tragic repercussions.

It is a tragedy that nobody took his texts seriously, even for a minute. We can be sure that this has been discussed behind closed doors. They are a huge family with many children, and for their sakes would have to be as upbeat as possible to move forward.
​
What looks strange to us is because we are not them.

Were all of the deceased children part of the tribe?

Zoe and Gia were not. Zoe's mother is Buddhist. Shaylee, Andrew and Jaylen were part of the tribe.
Thank you.

So, being that two of the children were not in the tribe....my hope would have been that the tribe would show respect to them as well.....

My point being that the tribe seems so open and kind that IMO they should see that wearing those "team" shirts would be hurtful to Zoe and Gia's families.

Just my thoughts on this late Saturday night as I continue to grieve for these people.

I still am very surprised by the huge support and love shown for the shooter, I cannot think of another case like it. I can't help but wonder if he had survived would the love still be the same? Would Zoe's mother still support the family? Would they all still walk around with Team Jaylen shirts? There is either still a very big missing piece to this puzzle or they are all still in shock. I have never seen so much love even for someone who has just committed suicide let alone taking other innocent lives with them. It will be interesting to see when a permanent memorial is made at the school if they include JF, then I will be really shocked! If this is how native americans handle tragedy then they are truly amazing people.

A new story from The Herald

" TULALIP — The mothers of Nate Hatch and Andrew Fryberg say the silence must end. It's time for frank discussion about Jaylen Fryberg and his crimes.
“It's about accountability. He has not been made accountable,” Denise “Nessie” Hatch-Anderson said. Her son, Nate Hatch, 14, is the only surviving victim of the Oct. 24 shootings in a Marysville Pilchuck High School cafeteria.
“Jaylen is not a victim. What he did was premeditated, calculated murder,” said Lahneen Fryberg, Andrew's mother."

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20141210/NEWS01/ 141219945

A new story from The Herald

" TULALIP — The mothers of Nate Hatch and Andrew Fryberg say the silence must end. It's time for frank discussion about Jaylen Fryberg and his crimes.
“It's about accountability. He has not been made accountable,” Denise “Nessie” Hatch-Anderson said. Her son, Nate Hatch, 14, is the only surviving victim of the Oct. 24 shootings in a Marysville Pilchuck High School cafeteria.
“Jaylen is not a victim. What he did was premeditated, calculated murder,” said Lahneen Fryberg, Andrew's mother."

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20141210/NEWS01/ 141219945

b3d936d060b21bca8c28a26d6046157d.jpg

Here is the URL again (hope this works):

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20141210/NEWS01/141219945

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you emloupe for posting this link. This article is in depth, and an absolute must read. I hope my fellow WSers will join me in the discussion here soon.

I will say this: the news story points out what many here have already said: the disconnect and cognitive dissonance between what JF did and how he is being treated after he murdered his family and friends on that Friday morning before ending his own life, leaving SO many unanswered questions and everyone else to pick up the pieces. This act leaves others in the wake of actions and emotions, unable to account for your feelings. It is brutal to those you leave behind.

I will always wonder if he ever realized this would be part of his legacy.

What I wasn't prepared to read was the silence of the Fryberg family, who are related to the Hatch family in their lineage (as we know), and the pain this is causing.

(snip)

Silence, they say, also makes it difficult to forgive, particularly Jaylen's family. They've yet to offer any sort of public apology for what he did.
Andrew's sister, T. Fryberg (redacted), was close with Jaylen's family. Jaylen's father and aunts were like her brother and sisters. Because of that love, her heart wanted to extend forgiveness. Whatever their reasons, their silence makes that impossible.
“The way they are handling it, they are the ones building a wall,” she said. “And to stand with my family, I can't forgive that.”
Andrew, Nate and Jaylen are part of a larger family. Jaylen Fryberg is the namesake of his father and grandfather. Andrew Martin Leroy Fryberg is the namesake of three of his grandfathers.
Nate's great grandmother, Molly Hatch, was born a Fryberg.
“My grandmother always said never to drag our name through the mud. Never to do anything to bring shame and disgrace to our Fryberg name,” Nessie Hatch said.
That is what Jaylen has done, and everyone who carries the Fryberg name has been forced to bear that shame, she said.
The Fryberg family is one of the largest on the reservation.
Off the reservation, Andrew's family has encountered people who mistakenly presume that anyone named Fryberg somehow bears responsibility for what Jaylen did. They apparently don't realize that Frybergs number among his victims.
-------

This event forever changed me, as a parent of a soon-to-be high schooler, I fear even more for my children. I had :earson: on this morning, as my own kids were at school. I was online literally posting as I awaited my youngest's dismissal from classes with tears in my eyes.

I send these mothers my continued prayer and support, along with those who lost their children that fateful day. All I have left to fall back on is a sense of community and hope that through this profound and tremendous loss, we will somehow come out stronger on the other side.

These children's pain and loss can not and will not be in vain.

:praying:

:candle:

I still am very surprised by the huge support and love shown for the shooter, I cannot think of another case like it. I can't help but wonder if he had survived would the love still be the same? Would Zoe's mother still support the family? Would they all still walk around with Team Jaylen shirts? There is either still a very big missing piece to this puzzle or they are all still in shock. I have never seen so much love even for someone who has just committed suicide let alone taking other innocent lives with them. It will be interesting to see when a permanent memorial is made at the school if they include JF, then I will be really shocked! If this is how native americans handle tragedy then they are truly amazing people.

Thank you for this. I'm not sure that it is love though. When my brother & his wife were murdered, I begged the DA, NOT TO SEEK the death penalty. I certainly wasn't feeling any love, well maybe I was for his children, but certainly not him. This guy, was my SIL's uncle, and she was the only living child of his brother, and he had no qualms about shooting her in the heart, and blowing my brother's head off with a 30' 0' 6. I just chose not to to let him narrow and degrade my soul, by making me hate him. There is a higher calling that he has to answer to. To someone non-Native American, it's God. To my people, it's the great spirit, referred to as Unetlanvhi or "the Apportioner".

Thank you emloupe for posting this link. This article is in depth, and an absolute must read. I hope my fellow WSers will join me in the discussion here soon.

I will say this: the news story points out what many here have already said: the disconnect and cognitive dissonance between what JF did and how he is being treated after he murdered his family and friends on that Friday morning before ending his own life, leaving SO many unanswered questions and everyone else to pick up the pieces. This act leaves others in the wake of actions and emotions, unable to account for your feelings. It is brutal to those you leave behind.

I will always wonder if he ever realized this would be part of his legacy.

What I wasn't prepared to read was the silence of the Fryberg family, who are related to the Hatch family in their lineage (as we know), and the pain this is causing.

(snip)

Silence, they say, also makes it difficult to forgive, particularly Jaylen's family. They've yet to offer any sort of public apology for what he did.
Andrew's sister, T. Fryberg (redacted), was close with Jaylen's family. Jaylen's father and aunts were like her brother and sisters. Because of that love, her heart wanted to extend forgiveness. Whatever their reasons, their silence makes that impossible.
“The way they are handling it, they are the ones building a wall,” she said. “And to stand with my family, I can't forgive that.”
Andrew, Nate and Jaylen are part of a larger family. Jaylen Fryberg is the namesake of his father and grandfather. Andrew Martin Leroy Fryberg is the namesake of three of his grandfathers.
Nate's great grandmother, Molly Hatch, was born a Fryberg.
“My grandmother always said never to drag our name through the mud. Never to do anything to bring shame and disgrace to our Fryberg name,” Nessie Hatch said.
That is what Jaylen has done, and everyone who carries the Fryberg name has been forced to bear that shame, she said.
The Fryberg family is one of the largest on the reservation.
Off the reservation, Andrew's family has encountered people who mistakenly presume that anyone named Fryberg somehow bears responsibility for what Jaylen did. They apparently don't realize that Frybergs number among his victims.
-------

This event forever changed me, as a parent of a soon-to-be high schooler, I fear even more for my children. I had :earson: on this morning, as my own kids were at school. I was online literally posting as I awaited my youngest's dismissal from classes with tears in my eyes.

I send these mothers my continued prayer and support, along with those who lost their children that fateful day. All I have left to fall back on is a sense of community and hope that through this profound and tremendous loss, we will somehow come out stronger on the other side.

These children's pain and loss can not and will not be in vain.

:praying:

:candle:

:grouphug:

Thank you for this. I'm not sure it that it is love though. When my brother & his wife were murdered, I begged the DA, NOT TO SEEK the death penalty. I certainly wasn't feeling any love, well maybe I was for his children, but certainly not him. This guy, was my SIL's uncle, and she was the only living child of his brother, and he had no qualms about shooting her in the heart, and blowing my brother's head off with a 30' 0' 6. I just chose not to to let him narrow and degrade my soul, by making me hate him. There is a higher calling that he has to answer to. To someone non-Native American, it's God. To my people, it's the great spirit, referred to as Unetlanvhi or "the Apportioner".

Tulessa,

You amaze me with this post. I don't know if I could have done the same, God forbid, had I been in your shoes. :hug:

You're right. It takes tremendous strength and wisdom to forgive. I think that's what struck me when I read the article. The silence of JF's family (who are also Nate's family!) has and still is deafening.

Healing cannot begin unless and until this happens :cow:

I wonder what the reasons are. The quote about dishonoring the family name resonated with me. That was one of the "rules" I grew up with; it was something my Father emphasized as unacceptable. Perhaps the shame of JF's actions has left his family unable to move forward? Sadly, it is hurting so many, and I hope they will be able to take the steps needed to heal. No matter what, they should be as to come back together. There is love there, going back many generations. I hope they can find a way.

Nate deserves all the support he can get, and I believe he deserves to hear it from JF's family - in particular. He has a tough journey ahead. However, he is strong, and he has the support and love of his Mom, and other family members, any many people all over the world pulling for him. I believe in the power of prayer, and I am pulling for him to come back from this. He is a truly amazing young man, and I wish him the best!

:twocents:

Tulessa,

You amaze me with this post. I don't know if I could have done the same, God forbid, had I been in your shoes. :hug:

You're right. It takes tremendous strength and wisdom to forgive. I think that's what struck me when I read the article. The silence of JF's family (who are also Nate's family!) has and still is deafening.

Healing cannot begin unless and until this happens :cow:

I wonder what the reasons are. The quote about dishonoring the family name resonated with me. That was one of the "rules" I grew up with; it was something my Father emphasized as unacceptable. Perhaps the shame of JF's actions has left his family unable to move forward? Sadly, it is hurting so many, and I hope they will be able to take the steps needed to heal. No matter what, they should be as to come back together. There is love there, going back many generations. I hope they can find a way.

Nate deserves all the support he can get, and I believe he deserves to hear it from JF's family - in particular. He has a tough journey ahead. However, he is strong, and he has the support and love of his Mom, and other family members, any many people all over the world pulling for him. I believe in the power of prayer, and I am pulling for him to come back from this. He is a truly amazing young man, and I wish him the best!

:twocents:

I started crying, and forgot everything I was going to type. I'll just say, thank you. :grouphug:

Thanks for posting this new article. FINALLY, some voices of reason.

I started crying, and forgot everything I was going to type. I'll just say, thank you. :grouphug:

You're welcome! :loveyou:

:grouphug:

The gun used in last year's deadly shooting at a Washington state high school had been illegally purchased by the freshman shooter's father, according to federal charges filed against that man.

Raymond Lee Fryberg's stunning arrest Tuesday comes five months after his 15-year-old son, Jaylen Fryberg, fatally shot himself and four other students inside Marysville-Pilchuck High School's cafeteria.

Federal prosecutors say the 42-year-old lied about having an order of protection that permanently barred him from purchasing firearms. That order followed an ex-girlfriend accusing him of threatening and physically assaulting her....

Less than four months after violating that order in an undisclosed way in 2012, prosecutors say he illegally purchased the Beretta PX4 Storm pistol. Over the next few months he added yet four more firearms to his collection.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ton-school-shooter-gun-feds-article-1.2168842

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back