GUILTY WA - Ingrid Lyne, 40, Seattle, 8 Apr 2016 #3

Good news. Peace to Ingrid's family.

He's going to be out in 27 years? Unbelievable this is no justice to her and her family. There should have been no plea deal. Why did he kill her? I would like to know that. Armed robber let prison sentences that length. Disgusting.

This sentence is a sickening disgrace.

"The judge in the case, Julie Spector, said she would have sentenced Charlton to life in prison, but her hands were tied by state sentencing guidelines."

It's way past time to change outdated laws.
Then put him back in society at age 67...to do what?

Much earlier then that time served and good behavior. He got a sweet deal.

He's going to be out in 27 years? Unbelievable this is no justice to her and her family. There should have been no plea deal. Why did he kill her? I would like to know that. Armed robber let prison sentences that length. Disgusting.

It’s an absolute disgrace. Seattle needs to have a serious assessment of its sentences for crimes as heinous as this. If you murder and dismember a human being then you should never be part of society ever again.

It’s an absolute disgrace. Seattle needs to have a serious assessment of its sentences for crimes as heinous as this. If you murder and dismember a human being then you should never be part of society ever again.

It is a disgrace. I thought my state of CA gave ridiculous light sentences but my gosh this monster squeezed the life out of this innocent woman in her own home then chopped off her head and other body parts in her bathtub put in residential trash cans around town. Even that garbage recycling plant found her body parts go through on the conveyor belt. This is the makings of a horror film. This is one of the most horrible crimes I had ever heard of. I had nightmares for weeks of people finding her body parts.

He's already served years. This is insane why would prosecutors offer this sweet deal? was DA paid big bucks? I believe the Charlton family were very well off. I'm sickened by this.

I agree with you but please don’t blame Seattle. It was a superior court case and sentencing laws are set by the state. It might seem like a small thing to others but I’m tired of all the crap getting said lately about my city.

Here is what I found at the end of a long article on the Seattle PI site:
Though state law prevented her from issuing a life sentence -- his criminal history in other states did not count toward his sentencing range in Washington in this case -- she said, "If there ever was a case to do so, this would be one, and I think you know that, too."

I researched the laws earlier and, while it seems like an open and shut case of first degree murder, I’m guessing there were no extenuating circumstances (e.g, rape, robbery, gun) that would allow for a life sentence. Either way, it sucks.

It's just not your city that is a problem, it's my town and their town and the states and our nation.
Sentencing and laws are outdated and seriously need to be revamped.
I'm not an advocate, but I don't think I would have a problem deciding on the death penalty for this case.
Not a death penalty state?,ok well life w/o parole wasn't even an option based on the law.
28 years for this horror is a slap on the wrist.

I agree with you but please don’t blame Seattle. It was a superior court case and sentencing laws are set by the state. It might seem like a small thing to others but I’m tired of all the crap getting said lately about my city.

Here is what I found at the end of a long article on the Seattle PI site:

I researched the laws earlier and, while it seems like an open and shut case of first degree murder, I’m guessing there were no extenuating circumstances (e.g, rape, robbery, gun) that would allow for a life sentence. Either way, it sucks.

Please accept my apologies being from Scotland my geography of the States isn’t great. I meant Washington State’s sentencing guidelines need reviewed not the city of Seattle which I know has no control over them.

It's just not your city that is a problem, it's my town and their town and the states and our nation.
I'm not an advocate, but I don't think I would have a problem deciding on the death penalty for this case.
Not a death penalty state?,ok well life w/o parole wasn't even an option based on the law.

If that doesn't qualify for life in prison or the death penalty then nothing does.

No plea deal should have been accepted. I'm sure every juror would have sent that human waste to the electric chair.

If that doesn't qualify for life in prison or the death penalty then nothing does.

No plea deal should have been accepted. I'm sure every juror would have sent that human waste to the electric chair.

No one seems to be understanding.

THERE WAS NO PLEA DEAL.

He pleaded guilty to his charge of murder, and was literally sentenced to the maximum amount of time permitted by Washington laws.

See, that’s what I don’t get. Punishment in Washington for first degree murder is supposed to be life in prison without possibility of parole. We have the death penalty technically but it is never used because it has been applied so inconsistently (e.g. Gary Ridgway didn’t get it). All I can think is that they didn’t have enough proof to get an aggravated first degree murder charge to stick at trial.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=10.95.020

No one seems to be understanding.

THERE WAS NO PLEA DEAL.

He pleaded guilty to his charge of murder, and was literally sentenced to the maximum amount of time permitted by Washington laws.
The deal was first degree murder instead of aggravated first degree murder. Aggravated first degree murder carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison without possibility of parole or the death penalty, which WA hasn’t used in years.

Please accept my apologies being from Scotland my geography of the States isn’t great. I meant Washington State’s sentencing guidelines need reviewed not the city of Seattle which I know has no control over them.
Thanks for that. No problem. :)

The deal was first degree murder instead of aggravated first degree murder. Aggravated first degree murder carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison without possibility of parole or the death penalty, which WA hasn’t used in years.

Then he should have been charged with aggravated. <modsnip> No death penalty state?

See, that&#8217;s what I don&#8217;t get. Punishment in Washington for first degree murder is supposed to be life in prison without possibility of parole. We have the death penalty technically but it is never used because it has been applied so inconsistently (e.g. Gary Ridgway didn&#8217;t get it). All I can think is that they didn&#8217;t have enough proof to get an aggravated first degree murder charge to stick at trial.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=10.95.020

Each state has their own defining laws.
Hawaii for example is one murder if you kill a pregnant women...
Maryland has a reconsideration hearing and a life without parole can be reduced to life with the chance of parole.
Some states have the death penalty, while others do not.
It's not consistent.

Then he should have been charged with aggravated. <modsnip> No death penalty state?
No. As I said, the death penalty is one of the two mandatory sentences in Washington but it has not been used in years.

Each state has their own defining laws.
Hawaii for example is one murder if you kill a pregnant women...
Maryland has a reconsideration hearing and a life without parole can be reduced to life with the chance of parole.
Some states have the death penalty, while others do not.
It's not consistent.
I posted the link to the law in the post you quoted. Washington has the death penalty. It’s never used, because it will never hold up on appeal, but we have it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici
Back