Found Deceased WA - Jacob Gray, 22, Olympic National Park, 5 April 2017

He travelled a distance whether he fell into Solduc River or not. And in order to make it to the lake he would have to have had gear.

“Distance: 6.4 miles from junction with Hoh River trail to Bogachiel Peak Junction. Hoh Lake is 14.7 miles from Hoh trailhead, 9.7 miles from Sol Duc trailhead.”

Hoh Lake Trail - Olympic National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

To make it to the lake he would have had to climb/hike over 4-5000 foot mountains. If he fell into the river, I don't know why he would have climbed out, then climbed to the lake. I'll admit it - I'm confused.

Still no updates from Jacob's family in regards to the search that was conducted form July 23 to July 29. Maybe something of significance was found but the family doesn't want to disclose it at this time until there is confirmation from family or LE.
Park employees and volunteers last Friday found abandoned outdoor recreation equipment and clothing in a remote area of Daniel J. Evans Wilderness of the Olympic National Park that “matched the description of items related to missing 22-year-old Jacob Gray of Port Townsend,” the park said.

Then, on Saturday morning, rangers conducted a more detailed search of the area found additional clothing and human skeletal remains.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/q13fox...ose-of-mountain-biker-missing-since-2017/amp/

To make it to the lake he would have had to climb/hike over 4-5000 foot mountains. If he fell into the river, I don't know why he would have climbed out, then climbed to the lake. I'll admit it - I'm confused.

hypothermia? the husband from that SF couple that got lost driving back through Oregon after Thanksgiving about a decade ago(?) apparently wandered somewhat aimlessly for miles due to hypothermia. The entire time there was a lodge of some sort an easy hike from their car.

hypothermia? the husband from that SF couple that got lost driving back through Oregon after Thanksgiving about a decade ago(?) apparently wandered somewhat aimlessly for miles due to hypothermia. The entire time there was a lodge of some sort an easy hike from their car.

James Kim, he did wander for miles but I'm not sure the lodge was an easy hike, I think he was trying to retrace his steps.

Park employees and volunteers last Friday found abandoned outdoor recreation equipment and clothing in a remote area of Daniel J. Evans Wilderness of the Olympic National Park that “matched the description of items related to missing 22-year-old Jacob Gray of Port Townsend,” the park said.

Then, on Saturday morning, rangers conducted a more detailed search of the area found additional clothing and human skeletal remains.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/q13fox.com/2018/08/13/remains-found-in-olympic-national-park-may-be-those-of-mountain-biker-missing-since-2017/amp

Where Jacobs body was found is about 10 miles from his last known location which would have taken about a day to hike. Its odd that Jacob would abandon his bike and bike trailer for that length of time. According to the family the only equipment missing from trailer was water filtration system, blanket and backpack. Its possible that Jacob injured himself and died of hypothermia.

I’ve been thinking this over. The bike and gear was stashed in the bushes. He didn’t set up camp. Perhaps he never fell in and people looked for him in the river only presuming he had fallen in. It seems likely he headed straight for Hoh Lake. After that, how he died once he was there, ultimately will hopefully be revealed.

According to the article Jacob didn't die from a traumatic event but most likely died from hypothermia. This is so sad considering Jacob was an experienced hiker/camper. Did he under estimate how cold it would get at night and didn't dress appropriately which I doubt. I am curious if Jacob's clothes were found with his remains or some distance away which could be explained by wildlife or was this a case of self harm by Jacob. The mountains brought Jacob so much pleasure in his life did Jacob give his life back to them. I hope more information is forth coming.

RIP Jacob.

According to the article Jacob didn't die from a traumatic event but most likely died from hypothermia. This is so sad considering Jacob was an experienced hiker/camper. Did he under estimate how cold it would get at night and didn't dress appropriately which I doubt. I am curious if Jacob's clothes were found with his remains or some distance away which could be explained by wildlife or was this a case of self harm by Jacob. The mountains brought Jacob so much pleasure in his life did Jacob give his life back to them. I hope more information is forth coming.

RIP Jacob.

He may have underestimated the weather in April.

It’s interesting that people say he was an experienced hiker. In my mind
rule 1) Don’t hike into the back country alone. 2) if you insist on going alone always tell someone where you are going.
Had a city boy had this ingrained in him like we did they might have been able to save so much heartbreak.
I am thinking a public awareness campaign might be a useful thing in Jacobs memory. We all think that we are invincible at that age.

I hope the NPS research their records to verify if other NPS employees/volunteers and/or visitors were in the same area in the past 16 months where Jacobs remains and equipment were found and if so did they noticed any equipment or clothes in that area and was it reported to authorities

Hi, just jumping in here because I've been reading about his disappearance and now his recovery. Really sad. But honestly, it seems to me there has to be foul play involved. Why on earth would his bike and trailer be found in a ditch along side the road... in the grass so I've read elsewhere, and then his body be found 10 miles away in the mountains. I'm thinking someone may have run him off the road the night of April 5th, and then forced him into their car to drive him to the Hoh Lake area. there is no mention of if he had money on him, but he most likely did and he was probably robbed. How else do you explain how he got to the Hoh lake area? If he'd walked on the road to that area someone would have seen him that night or the next day. Something really doesn't add up here, and it seems like murder to me. What do you guys think?

Hi, just jumping in here because I've been reading about his disappearance and now his recovery. Really sad. But honestly, it seems to me there has to be foul play involved. Why on earth would his bike and trailer be found in a ditch along side the road... in the grass so I've read elsewhere, and then his body be found 10 miles away in the mountains. I'm thinking someone may have run him off the road the night of April 5th, and then forced him into their car to drive him to the Hoh Lake area. there is no mention of if he had money on him, but he most likely did and he was probably robbed. How else do you explain how he got to the Hoh lake area? If he'd walked on the road to that area someone would have seen him that night or the next day. Something really doesn't add up here, and it seems like murder to me. What do you guys think?
Nah, if his bike being off the road looked suspicious by Clallum County Officials they would have termed it suspicious. Also you can’t drive to the location he was found with out hiking in. It’s a long walk from the 6 mile marker on the Sol Duc road clear around to the road to access the Hoh Lake area from the other side. If there were any signs of foul play I believe it would be pursued and his father has been on this since Day 1. All Moo. Mid September for the written report.

The NPS was suppose to release a final report of Jacob's death but as of today I have not seen any media articles in regards to that. Its my belief that Jacob had some type of accident/injury at the Sol Duc River location which might have resulted in a ill advised/prepared journey to Hoh Lake.

At Jacobs FB page his family has posted photos of where Jacob died in the park and put up a small cross to mark the location which is very near Hoh Lake and the scenery is quite beautiful and maybe Jacob was overcome by its beauty that he lost track of time and the elements around until it was to late for him.

I live in Port Angeles, and I'm in the park frequently. The weather can change in an instant, especially in spring. And the park is huge. It would be easy to get turned around in. This just recently happened to an avid outdoors man who has been hiking this area his entire life. The fog comes in off the water and becomes a cloak. He got turned around and miraculously his daughter found him, cold and dehydrated 24 hours later.

My sympathies to his family and friends. I wish I had seen this thread earlier.

At Jacobs FB page his family has posted photos of where Jacob died in the park and put up a small cross to mark the location which is very near Hoh Lake and the scenery is quite beautiful and maybe Jacob was overcome by its beauty that he lost track of time and the elements around until it was to late for him.

I agree, he appears to have deliberately hiked to a very scenic ridge. Since the area where he was found is so remote, it seems likely to me that he hiked there from Hoh Lake. It seems the trail to Hoh Lake starts on Sol Duc road. I wonder how far from the Hoh Lake trailhead he had stashed his bike.

Hiking uphill generates a lot of heat. It's when you stop that you get cold. Particularly up that high, where there's often a wind, and much colder nights.

I think it's notable that, as so often happens with persons missing in wilderness parks, his remains were found much farther away than expected, and in a place that no one would think to search.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back