GUILTY WA - Jane Britt, 75, found strangled in her car, Federal Way, 19 March 2008

This case is really strange. Her two sons, if they work for Boeing, are probably well-off. Does anyone know if the daughter/son-in-law live nearby? Not accusing, just picking at straws.

Could this have been gang related? Tacoma has recently seen a spiral in gangs.

It's sad to hear that Jane's husband is aware of what happened. I was clinging to the hope he hadn't a clue because of his medical condition. No mention of sexual assault. Robbery wasn't a motive. If she was abducted and killed somewhere else, the person knew her well enough to know the location of the care center. If they killed her at the care center, well that's just risky, IMO. Especially if the only motive is to kill her. Too much of a chance to have someone pass by. Has there been any mention of security cameras inside or outside the care center? Inside could show if someone followed her out.

Maybe she discovered something out of sorts at the nursing home... Grasping at straws plus been watching too many Bourne Identity movies!

Maybe she discovered something out of sorts at the nursing home... Grasping at straws plus been watching too many Bourne Identity movies!

That theory is possible TM, check your pm's please lol I can't believe I am up this late. I fell so badly for this woman and her poor husband. I think it most likely someone she knew but I guess it could have been random, it just seems too risky to kill her in the parking lot.

Wow. Interesting thought - wonder if she shared some thoughts about the home with her family. I guess I don't think it was related to the nursing home, but I have absolutely no idea why someone would kill her and take nothing. Could she have been driven to an ATM, then deposited back at the home?

lol Taxi, you actually make a good point. I have a close friend who spent the better part of the last decade taking care of her aging parents and ailing husband. Oh the stories she would tell. Lots of drama at the care centers. Some caused by staff, but mostly the patients and their families. Disputes, gossips, affairs. They aren't above commiting crimes either. Stealing from each other. Assaults. Sometimes loser adult children visiting prey on other patients, etc.

lol Taxi, you actually make a good point. I have a close friend who spent the better part of the last decade taking care of her aging parents and ailing husband. Oh the stories she would tell. Lots of drama at the care centers. Some caused by staff, but mostly the patients and their families. Disputes, gossips, affairs. They aren't above commiting crimes either. Stealing from each other. Assaults. Sometimes loser adult children visiting prey on other patients, etc.

This was supposed to be an expensive home, but maybe that doesn't matter re: squabbles. Perhaps someone was jealous, or could it have been a patient who did this?

You know, Jane could have pissed off someone royally by complaining about them. Sometimes complaints get people banned from being allowed to visit. Reminds me of that recent nutcase that was banned from visiting his mother in New York. It could be as simple as something like that.

Eta: sometimes patients are kicked out of care centers if there are too many complaints. Or the patients become to hard to handle.

This was supposed to be an expensive home, but maybe that doesn't matter re: squabbles. Perhaps someone was jealous, or could it have been a patient who did this?

Someone connected to the center anyways. That's why I'm so interested in what an inside security camera would show.

Homicide investigation expands

Mar 26 2008

By JACINDA HOWARD, The Mirror

Federal Way police called upon Crime Stoppers to offer a reward of up to $1,000 for information leading to an arrest in the homicide of Jane Carol Britt.

Britt, 75, was found dead in her car March 19 outside the Garden Terrace Alzheimer’s Center residential facility at 491 S. 338th St. in Federal Way.

Britt, a resident of Twin Lakes in Federal Way, had visited the center the previous day to see her husband, who is a resident there.

She left the facility at approximately 7 p.m. March 18. When her son was unable to locate her the next day, he visited the center, then reported her absence. That same day, officers located Britt’s body in the trunk of her gold 2002 Mercedes 320 four-door sedan, which was parked at the care facility.

On March 21, the King County Medical Examiner reported Britt’s cause of death as asphyxia due to strangulation. The victim also had injuries from blunt force to her head and neck, reports said.

There is no indication that robbery was the motive for the murder, said police spokeswoman Cathy Schrock.

Soon after police discovered Britt’s body, a video of a suspicious man at a nearby gas station was submitted to police. The man was considered a person of interest, but has since come forward and has been cleared as a possible suspect, Schrock said.

“He didn’t provide any updates (to the investigation),” she said.

On March 21, police processed Britt’s vehicle for forensic evidence, such as DNA and fingerprints, and while Schrock was unable to say exactly what was found, she said police have gathered a significant amount of evidence.

“There was a great deal of evidentiary items recovered, and now it’s just seeing where it leads us,” she said.

More here: http://www.fedwaymirror.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=91&cat=23&id=1181442&more=0

Thanks for the update RK. Now did the son see the car at the center and he called the police and they found her in the trunk? Or was her car parked way off somewhere in the parking lot where it wasn't noticable and he didn't see it at all? BTW, I don't think Jane would have parked the car in lets say the back corner of a parking lot.

As a friend of the family, I feel strongly they did not have anything to do with this. Also, coming from a Boeing family I can tell you that not all Boeing workers are "well-to-do". The family members I know are good stewards of their finances. Our prayers are with the family as they process this loss with grief and some anger. It is hurtful to see people speculating that the family could have been responsible, but I understand that a normal part of investigation is to look at those closest first.

Jane was still a beautiful, active, fit person. I would never have guessed her age as 75 if I had not known how old her children are! "Elderly" just doesn't fit this woman! She was caring and compassionate. She was also very gracious.

This may be just projecting my previous experiences with nursing homes, but if I were the police, I would be looking at all those connected with the facility... the staff and the other regular visitors there. Even a kind and gracious person who is also a caregiver can be a tiger when advocating for their loved one. They need to look at any complaints that may have been expressed by her or the family and look at any staff or other residents and their families that these complaints may have been directed towards.

It does not look like a random act. The car was not stolen, but left there at the facility. The person was careful not to be captured by any cameras. It could be someone who knew her routine and waited for her (perhaps on their day off?)

As a friend of the family, I feel strongly they did not have anything to do with this. Also, coming from a Boeing family I can tell you that not all Boeing workers are "well-to-do". The family members I know are good stewards of their finances. Our prayers are with the family as they process this loss with grief and some anger. It is hurtful to see people speculating that the family could have been responsible, but I understand that a normal part of investigation is to look at those closest first.

Jane was still a beautiful, active, fit person. I would never have guessed her age as 75 if I had not known how old her children are! "Elderly" just doesn't fit this woman! She was caring and compassionate. She was also very gracious.

This may be just projecting my previous experiences with nursing homes, but if I were the police, I would be looking at all those connected with the facility... the staff and the other regular visitors there. Even a kind and gracious person who is also a caregiver can be a tiger when advocating for their loved one. They need to look at any complaints that may have been expressed by her or the family and look at any staff or other residents and their families that these complaints may have been directed towards.

It does not look like a random act. The car was not stolen, but left there at the facility. The person was careful not to be captured by any cameras. It could be someone who knew her routine and waited for her (perhaps on their day off?)

Mom&Gma,

Welcome to Websleuths. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. May you all find justice for Jane and peace for yourselves.

StillHoping

Mom&Gma, welcome to WS. I'm sorry it's under these circumstances.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it were someone from the care center that did this to her. We've seen a lot of nefarious characters employed by companies where they shouldn't have been. That could very well be the case here.

If it was a total stranger, they might have gotten scared away before they were able to take the car.

So did someone see something and isn't coming forward? Did they clear the "limping" guy too early?

Thank you for your welcomes. Yesterday was a very tough day on everyone. The memorial service was beautiful with lots of wonderful memories, but the circumstances surrounding her death was palpable (the elephant in the room).

I was worried about the lack of progress / clues in recent days and very glad to hear that they did find evidence to follow up on from the forensics on the car.

Just having this monster still out there is a concern for the entire community, not to mention the desire of the family to have some answers so they can eventually have closure.

FEDERAL WAY, Wash. -- Friends and family members gathered on Wednesday to pay their respects to Jane Britt and console each other over the senseless murder.

Last week the 75-year-old was found murdered in the trunk of her car. Police still have no suspects and no motive.

"It's just unthinkable what happened," said friend Lana Buethe.

"We've known her since we were kids. So It's just a tragic loss and doesn't make any sense," added Dan Buethe.

Last Wednesday Britt's body was found strangled and beaten inside the trunk of her car in the parking lot of the Garden Terrace Alzheimer Center where her husband, who suffers from Parkinson's disease, lives. Family members said Britt visited him every day.

"The Federal Way Police Department wants to express their sympathy and compassion to Jane Britt and her family and friends," said police spokesman Cathy Schrock.

Federal Way Police have been investigating the case around the clock. The state patrol crime lab is also treating the case is a top priority and examining forensic evidence, fingerprints, hairs and clothing fibers.

More at link: http://www.komotv.com/news/local/17038136.html

I am VERY impressed that the State police are making this a top priority. That's awesome.

Thank you for your welcomes. Yesterday was a very tough day on everyone. The memorial service was beautiful with lots of wonderful memories, but the circumstances surrounding her death was palpable (the elephant in the room).

I was worried about the lack of progress / clues in recent days and very glad to hear that they did find evidence to follow up on from the forensics on the car.

Just having this monster still out there is a concern for the entire community, not to mention the desire of the family to have some answers so they can eventually have closure.

Welcome to WS. I am so sorry for what Jane's family and friends are going through. I am glad that LE is on top of this and evidence has been recovered. I am concernced as well that the person responsible for Jane's death is still walking the streets.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoptti
Back