WA WA - Leah Roberts, 23, Whatcom Co, 13 Mar 2000

I don't buy suicide or disappearing....scattering clothes, leaving behind money from which she could start a new life....no IMO something way different happened

I agree with you fragile, didn't happen, no-way- no-how. :( I think it was someone in the crowd she met at the restaurant. She shared her ideas, her paperback book about the trails and places she wanted to visit, just like the writer did, someone heard this and took advantage of the poor girl.

This is such a strange and sad case.

I have just read through the whole thread and at first I believed that it was possible that Leah could have wanted to disappear and start a new life, perhaps as a result of some sort of mental illness she was suffering from at the time. Often with people who have been missing so long I question whether they would really have not been in touch with worried parents if they were alive but Leah's parents had already died.

However reading the thread it seems that Leah had several siblings. It has now been over fourteen years and I find it very hard to believe that she wouldn't have been in touch with them some how if she were still alive. Even a postcard now and again.

Moreover, Leah left $2,500 dollars in the car. Would a person disappearing really have left that amount of money behind?

And then there is the issue of how her car ended up off the road. It seems clear that neither Leah nor an unknown person were in the car when it went off the road and, as has been stated earlier in the thread, Leah simply did not have the knowledge to have rigged the car herself, and even if she had why would she had wanted to go to all that effort? Why not just abandon the car?

Logically it therefore seems that something bad happened to Leah and somebody, almost certainly the perpetrator of whatever happened to Leah, disposed of her car. Sadly, if Leah was murdered, it is easy to see why her body was never recovered given the area she was in. The strange aspect to this crime is the fact that Leah's belongings were placed where somebody would have seen them and gone to investigate the car wreck. But perhaps the perpetrator wanted the car found for the thrill of seeing the news coverage and knowing that he had gotten away with it.

Whenever I see a case that's especially strange on Disappeared, I always end up looking it up on here, and I just saw Leah's. I think it's pretty likely she met w. foul play. i think it was a crime of opportunity for the purpose of sexual assault of some sort...it obviously wasn't robbery or her leaving on her own to disappear because the money wouldn't have been left. I've seen some really bizarre explanations for the circumstances of her disappearance on here that I just had to comment on (even though some of them were from quite a while ago and I don't expect a response)

1. Leaving her mother's ring behind: By all accounts, the ring had sentimental value and she never took it off, yet it was left behind. Two explanations I've seen was she took it off after the crash because her hand was swollen, or she had the ring off to take a shower and then hid it when a man (who i guess we are assuming to be the perp) offered to look at her car engine after she had trouble. both of these are ridiculous IMO- if she had gotten in an accident and her hand swelled, there is NO way she was taking that ring off, unless it was extremely loose. i'm allergic to mosquito bites, and when i get bit the area around the bite swells to larger than a half dollar- recently i was bit on my ring finger, and as soon as i noticed, i tried to take the ring off, and my finger had already become swollen enough that it was virtually unable to come off. i imagine swelling from an accident may even make it harder to take the ring off. the shower explanation makes no sense to me- so she took it off to take a shower, remembered to leave the hotel w. it, but didn't immediately put it back on, yet it was close enough to grab and hide when someone approached the car? makes no sense.

2. Speculation she was delivering a large amount of drugs cross country, then killed upon arrival: My problem isn't w. the delivering drugs cross country and ending up dead part...serious drug dealers aren't known for having a high regard for human life, and killing someone to avoid paying for the drugs would be exactly something they'd do. My problem is that this theory explains the tampering but ignores the other evidence, and seems to hinge a large part of the theory on the misspelling of Jack Kerouac in the note to her roommate...saying that the note was an explanation she was told to give to explain her month long absence, and if he was her favorite author, she'd know how to spell his last name. If you look at the note, she spelled Kerouac how it's pronounced, which is definitely believable- if she was leaving a note that a drug dealer demanded she leave and she'd never heard of the author, one would assume she'd look up the spelling. Not knowing how to spell his name (which is not the easiest to spell in the first place) doesn't mean anything other than she can't spell...my fiancé spelled my last name wrong for years after we started dating, even after i finally noticed and corrected him. my last name isn't the easiest to spell, and he made the same mistake leah did- spelled it exactly how you would assume to spell it after hearing the way it was pronounced. that being said, her family would have definitely known something was up if she had never mentioned kerouac to them prior to her disappearance. instead, they said she was interested on finding her spirituality, and spent her days in a coffeehouse writing poetry and journaling. i also find it unlikely she'd take her cat on a cross country drug deal. Also, the drug dealers would have certainly taken any valuables out of that car after the crash, that's a given. they just killed someone to avoid paying for drugs, yet failed to take the $2500 in the car? Not a chance, they'd have ransacked the vehicle for sure. She was definitely emulating kerouac's life, or trying to, i have no doubt about that

3. Disappearing in a state of fugue after the crash: there was no blood in the car, and from what i understand LE believe that car was tampered with. If she hit her head hard enough to give herself an injury so severe she'd have been in a state of fugue or amnesia to the point she could not remember anything about herself or where she was, there's no way there was no blood in that car somewhere- even if it was only a small amount. I find it extremely difficult to believe that she was in the car when it crashed.

What I believe happened is Leah took off cross country on a spiritual journey like Kerouac. She was probably naive and trusting, and never thought of the danger a woman would be putting herself traveling cross country alone and sleeping in her car. She probably thought nothing of what a vulnerable position she'd put herself in by telling strangers she was on a journey alone to find herself like Kerouac had been. She tells the wrong person and they target her because she's vulnerable. Clearly robbery wasn't a motive, so one would then assume the only other motive would be sexual assault. It clearly didn't happen in the car, so she was probably abducted, sexually assaulted, and then killed. The person who took her likely staged the accident. Sad case all around :(

I'm unclear how the blankets were arranged or what they represent.

This was an old logging road that got almost not traffic, right? Supposed she closed the doors with the sheet jammed in them to keep the light out while she took a nap during the day. Then a criminal woke up her and took her away. The criminal purposely crashed her as a quick and dirty way to make it possibly look like an accident and to get her car to a more hidden spot. Some of the blankets stayed in place. The criminals didn't worry about the blankets. They just wanted to hide the car and get out of there with their kidnapping victim without getting caught.

The problem with this notion is they said the car was travelling 30-40 mph [55 kph] up hill. They didn't find damage to the steering wheel or traces of blood consistent with someone having been in the car during a crash at that speed. So how did this happen? They must be wrong or someone did something more sophisticated to cause the car to accelerate on its own. I tend to think it wasn't sophisticated b/c a criminal wouldn't put that much effort into something that doesn't really hide evidence. Maybe she did it to fake her own death, but again, it's a lot of work and really doesn't do much to fake her death compared to just ditching the car anywhere. Maybe the police are wrong that there was no one driving.

What is the most common notion about the blankets? Did people think the car crashed, breaking the windows, and whoever was in it put up the blankets to keep the elements out for the night? If they were well enough to do that, though, why wouldn't they set out on foot for the nearest town?

I will say I find it odd that the blankets would be put up against the windows instead of around where Leah was sleeping. It doesn't stay warm at night even on a hot summer day here in Washington.

Bumping for Leah. Really think they need to check that guy out again that she was at the bar with. And what about the strange DNA they found on her items? What became of that?

From what I have read it sounds to me like Leah perhaps was mentally ill. I believe that she was not acting rationally and perhaps a car accident compounded this similar to Kristi Krebs case - not sure if you are familiar with this. I believe she may still be alive and homeless or hitchhiking across the country. I hope this is the case anyway unless she met with foul play along the way.

I think this is a very good point. I got on a kick a few years ago reading about missing persons, a number of individuals who were mentally unstable would freak out and disappear after minor traffic accidents, literally running away after the incident. A similar case was that of Lisa McPherson, who, though not going missing, was a schizophrenic who had been a long time member and employee of the Scientology cult. She was employed at their HQ in Clearwater FL (way back in the 90's) and was involved in a minor traffic accident in town. She decompensated, stripped off her clothing and became incoherent. It didn't help that Scientologist do not allow members to take psychotropic drugs for mental illness, so she was not on medication.Poor Lisa died from dehydration after her Scientologist keepers locked her in a hotel room for several weeks. Likely Leah was not on necessary meds also, if this is the case, as I suspect it is. The sighting reported of a young woman who seemed to be disoriented at a Texaco station around the time of the accident seems to support this. She very likely could still be alive, although with disturbed individuals who are not being properly looked after do suffer abbreviated life spans.
A episode of Missing had the Sheriff's Dept. claiming that the accident was probably staged and that evidence of tampering with a control mechanism to cause the Jeep to accelerate was found - but it would have taken someone with the skills of a mechanic to accomplish. This conclusion is several years after the event and I tend to wonder about who else might have accessed the engine area for parts. Most criminals do not go to that extreme to fake an accident and I think she definitely was in the vehicle when it went off the road. Intriguing case though.

I think Leah drove over the cliff on accident she might of being going up that road at night and misjudged a turn and she goes over. From the Unsolved Mysteries episode about this case If I recall correctly they said that clothes were found scattered near the road or on the road, above where her damaged car was found. I believe she threw them up there in an attempt to get a passerby's attention on that lonely road. How else can someone explain the blankets put on the window of the car, like if someone was using the car for shelter.

I haven't posted in this thread before, but I saw the WA tag and started reading. Had to do a bit of Googling for some of the info as the earlier links are dead, and I saw someone posted this on leah's page at unsolved.com. It's a fairly recent post, and I'm wondering if those comments are monitored at all for possible tips/clues.

I might have seen this girl,

Submitted by Mazey (not verified) on Fri, 10/24/2014 - 16:25
I might have seen this girl, or a girl that looked just like her. She looks like a girl in Honolulu around the shelter for women. She looks a tiny bit older but still the same as the photos. She looks very lonely and like she has lost sense of friends. She looks like she is searching for deep changes about herself. She is someone that makes you desire her but never fills you with her friendship or love. It is very sad. She looks like this lost girl that I have seen here lately and the past year.

http://unsolved.com/archives/leah-roberts

I haven't posted in this thread before, but I saw the WA tag and started reading. Had to do a bit of Googling for some of the info as the earlier links are dead, and I saw someone posted this on leah's page at unsolved.com. It's a fairly recent post, and I'm wondering if those comments are monitored at all for possible tips/clues.

http://unsolved.com/archives/leah-roberts

It's possible but how would Leah have made it all the way to Honolulu without any form of I.d.? Either way if you believe this is viable enough then by all means you should submit it as a tip!

False identity maybe? I have no idea, but who knows what's happened in the last 14 years if it is her. According to the poster, she's been in that area for at least a year.

*Sent from an Etch-a-Sketch*

The unsolved mysteries episode featuring Leah aired today. Almost 15 years and there hasn't been a break in this case yet.

It was exactly 15 years ago on this day that Leah left for her road trip. It's been way too long :( They should really have done another search on this date.

Watching the Disappeared episode for Leah. After reading into this case it seems like LE should start looking into the man who moved to Canada after she disappeared, at the very least. Part of this case reminds me of the story of "Into the Wild" written by Krakauer.. Part of me thinks maybe she started hiking into the woods and met with the elements/a bear, leaving all her money/belongings in the car like the main character of that novel did when he took off into the wild after traveling cross country on a soul searching journey. However the fact that the car was tampered with and the way it crashed with no blood anywhere makes the other part of me feel like there was foul play involved from this person who moved to Canada after she disappeared. Really hard to say.. Do we know if they did a very large extensive broad search of that area after she went missing with search teams?

The one thing that confuses me about the foul play is I feel if someone was following her/messing with her and did something to her, they most likely would have stolen her money/valuables also?

And this is a way far out there stretch but, has anyone considered bringing in any reputable psychics (I know, I know, it's far out) regarding this case?

In any regard, I am throwing in my thoughts, JMO, and bumping this for Leah. I admire her free spirit wanting to explore and adventure in this world. I hope this case gets picked up again and she is found so her family can know and have peace. Where are you Leah?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley
Back