WA WA - Leah Roberts, 23, Whatcom Co, 13 Mar 2000

I have always wondered how many men there are in the world who are perhaps not the planner-stalker type like Ted Bundy, but who are just evil and bold enough to pounce on an opportunity when one comes along. When I was in my late teens and early twenties, I was much more outgoing with strangers, and I might have even told an interested person that I was doing something really cool, like roadtripping alone without even considering the repercussions. I strongly suspect that Leah told the man at the bar about her trip and her plans and that he gave her some "helpful hint" on a good place to sleep that night, and that in the morning she could get up early and be on her way. The older I get, the more I believe that there is a certain percentage of men in the world who are always on the lookout for women who are alone and with no protection. I don't think these men are serial killers, and I don't think they would break into a house and rape a woman there. They don't arrange "dates" with prostitutes and kill them. They are just always sniffing out women they can potentially get their hands on. I bet a lot of women here have had encounters with men like this - I know I have. Once they found out you were alone or travelling alone, their demeanor changed.

I am totally convinced that Leah met with foul play and that she was somehow set up to be in a place where she would be completely alone and without any protection at all. The location of her vehicle is just too odd otherwise. Someone must have told about that place and how to get there. This was before smart phones and google satellite maps. I am just not seeing how Leah could have found that road unless some local gave her tip-off about it.

Euphoric 23-year-old driving clear across the country in three days, most likely to visit a place she read about in her favorite book? Sounds a LOT like the actions of a woman suffering from bipolar disorder which, in the midst of an apparent manic episode, would have made her incredibly vulnerable to exactly the kind of scenario you described.

Bumping for Leah.

Euphoric 23-year-old driving clear across the country in three days, most likely to visit a place she read about in her favorite book? Sounds a LOT like the actions of a woman suffering from bipolar disorder which, in the midst of an apparent manic episode, would have made her incredibly vulnerable to exactly the kind of scenario you described.

Bumping for Leah.
Having known a few people with bi polar disorder I couldn't agree more. I think predators are very good at picking up on someone who is a bit off. The fact that she took her cat with her on the road trip to me speaks to a level of impulsivity that's not normal. Also leah was "sleeping" in her car but I wonder if she wasn't in the middle of a manic state and thus wasn't really sleeping much at all.

Having known a few people with bi polar disorder I couldn't agree more. I think predators are very good at picking up on someone who is a bit off. The fact that she took her cat with her on the road trip to me speaks to a level of impulsivity that's not normal. Also leah was "sleeping" in her car but I wonder if she wasn't in the middle of a manic state and thus wasn't really sleeping much at all.

Having covered the kind of distance she did in such a short time, she probably wasn't sleeping very much, if at all. And while there's good evidence that someone took advantage of her, this may not be the case. People experiencing mania are likely to take far bigger risks, exposing themselves to injuries that they will often ignore until someone intervenes to provide medical care. In the middle of the woods, in March, such an event could easily prove fatal.

All that said, I wonder how seriously police looked at the homeless population in any of the urban areas near where Leah was last seen. If she wasn't the victim of a homicide or death by misadventure, she could well be living among them.

Bumping for Leah.

I really REALLY relate to Leah's story. My grandfather, mother, and friend had all passed away within the series of 5 months, it hit me pretty hard...A few months after that I took a solo drive clear across the country just to see it. This happened to me prior to knowing about Leah Roberts' story, so I wasn't trying to emulate it or anything like that. I do not have bi-polar disorder, depression, or any other mental illness. The loss of significant people in your can really do a number on you, and I'm sure temporarily take a toll on one's psyche too. I totally understand Leah's actions, and I genuinely think it was done with a clear mind and rationale. Something just went terribly wrong at the end there, a lot of things can happen to you on a 5,000 mile trip.

Does anyone know if Leah was a military veteran, or if she was in anyway connected with or treated at Military or Veteran's Hospital? There has been some mention of her possibly suffering from mental health issues.

A serial killer named James Allen Kinney preyed upon people he met in Veterans hospitals and halls. He was in the area around the time Leah went missing.

Does anyone know if Leah was a military veteran, or if she was in anyway connected with or treated at Military or Veteran's Hospital? There has been some mention of her possibly suffering from mental health issues.

A serial killer named James Allen Kinney preyed upon people he met in Veterans hospitals and halls. He was in the area around the time Leah went missing.

I don't recall that being part of her bio but my recollection is vague now. I recall her sister saying she wasn't sure what she wanted to do with her life, and didn't think it was a good idea for her to take to the road as she did but they couldn't stop her. Didn't both her parents die before she left? See my recollection is getting spotty now. Here is a little more background data:

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Leah_Roberts

Just watched the dissapear episode and bipolar disorder could definitely explain or actions. She may never have been diagnosed as bipolar so her family may not of mentioned it. All the losses she had though could definitely be a trigger for it developing though. In anycase though,sadly, this will likely be another case that will never go anywhere until a body is found or Leah miraculously reappears.

Interesting note in regards to this case and James Allen Kinney. IMHO...I don't think it was him, I personally think the suspect at the bar either murdered her or knows who did. However. Kinney who lived in Bellingham in 1998 (for how long I'm not sure) was convicted of murdering Kerri Lynn Sherlock in Bellingham and her body was found off of Mount Baker Highway. Kinney supposedly left the area the day after the Sherlock murder because of the intense manhunt for him and was not found until 2002. He was found to be in Florida by LE in May of 2000 but he avoided getting caught. He had a very intriguing personality and even admitted going to Massachusetts to turn himself in to Sherlock's parents but couldn't get their address. He was eventually caught in North Carolina which coincidentally is where Leah was from and her remaining family lived. Also Leah's car was found on Canyon Creek Rd which is a side route of Mount Baker Highway where Sherlock's body was found. It could be very possible that he went back to Bellingham in 2000 for a little bit thinking the heat died down enough that he may not be as noticeable in public and ran into Leah by coincidence or was searching for a victim and found her. I don't think it was him, but WOW there are a lot of coincidences and nobody knew exactly where he was while he was eluding LE from 1998 to 2000 but I would think that LE would be smart enough to use the Mount Baker Highway similarities to at least want to talk to him or rule him out.

We can all speculate about Leah and the place she was coming from, but no one really can say for sure what was going on with Leah except Leah herself.

IMHO i don't think taking a trip like that necessarily means Leah was bipolar. When I was a young woman in my mid twenties I went through a heartwrenching break up and was planning on taking a similar cross country trip to the North West. My trip didn't pan out, as I didn't really have the funds to support such a dream, but the idea and the action does not seem weird to me. It did not strike me that I would be putting myself in a vulnerable situation to travel a long distance to unfamiliar places alone.
I didn't even experience the kind of loss or pain that Leah had, but the idea doesn't sound weird.

I LOVE the show disappeared, but sometimes they don't hit on everything or spend too much time on bits of information that don't really seem important to the case. Anyone familiar with Maura Murray? Watch that disappeared episode and then do an intensive websearch of the stuff arm chair detectives have come up with...so much stuff that disappeared did not cover. Not saying all of it is true, but it exists.

Guy number two. So many internet rumors on this one. It's been suggested that he was a CANADIAN living in or visiting the US when he met Leah. He returned to Canada, not to flee the country, but because he simply went home. I've heard that his DNA was taken and ultimately determined to not be a match. As far as "Barry" is concerned..In an older post someone found it suspicious that he would remember this person, stating they themselves could not remember who they had lunch with today.
I personally, have a great memory and am very detail oriented. I think it's believable that someone may notice a person that that other people may not. I could probably give a pretty good description of said person at a later date.
I don't think that makes me a murderer.
Just saying, some people pick up things that other people don't. Sometimes people give descriptions of people that don't really look anything like that person.

I don't know if Leah is alive or dead. I'd love to believe she started a new life and just can't go back. Maybe Leah didn't ever take off her mothers engagement ring, but the person she decided she was going to be did, It's all we can really hope for. I do know that most people can't pull off the full don draper. especially in this day and age, it really does seem implausible.

Kara Roberts has been filled with questions for the last 17 years. Her sister, Leah, went missing in 2000, when she was a student at North Carolina State University.

Leah’s car was found in Washington state nine days after she took an unannounced road trip, but she was never found.

"The law enforcement has been very active in her case out there, but unfortunately, we still don't have answers," Roberts said.

http://www.wral.com/nc-s-cue-center-begins-annual-tour-to-highlight-missing-persons-cases/17032530/

Am I allowed to post a reddit link?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved...have_found_an_extremely_unlikely_coincidence/

I don't know if this was ever discussed here on WS, but I thought it was very interesting. A user on reddit found an unidentified Doe located in Whatcom County that has the same kind of leg plate that Leah had, and it was from a batch that had been shipped out right around the same time Leah had her plate inserted. However, the Doe is listed as male. Just a crazy coincidence or error with the Doe? I've heard before of Does being listed as the wrong gender. There's a specific case that comes to my mind of two teenage Does found decades ago that were recently identified, and one of them had been labelled with the wrong gender. Anyone remember that?

It's interesting she purchased gas in Brooks Oregon during the early morning hours of March 13 then drove straight through to Bellingham Washington to get a movie ticket for the 2:10pm show. Did I read that right? This was all on the 13th? Do we know what time the gas was purchased? In Oregon, as you can't pump your own gas, it would have to be a service station open all night. That is 300 miles. 5 hours direct if one does not hit any traffic in Portland, Olympia, or Seattle which is highly unlikely. Maybe a 7 hour drive.

So...For someone who is on the road in an existential exploratory phase it seems very odd to bypass Eugene, Portland and Seattle considering the countercultures there.

She covered a lot of miles in a short time it appears. Especially by going through California. This means sleeplessness, a lot of caffeine or uppers, and the possibility of a mini-psychological break. Did she have a driving companion? Did the stress of life events and situational issues coupled with road weariness cause her to end things spectacularly? Kind of a Christopher McCandless into the wild scenario?

The wiki article says this "noticed articles of clothing at the side of the road next to a slight curve at the top of a slope. Some had been tied to the trees and branches at roadside. In the woods below, at the bottom of a steep embankment, was Leah's Jeep, severely damaged".

This to me means someone, maybe Leah, was trying to signal for help. It is very possible in her sleep-deprived state, she could have driven off the road. Or she pulled over for a pee, forget the e-brake, the car rolled of the embankment. Thus she would be out of the vehicle. She stayed near the vehicle. Possibly for 5 days. The more I look at this, the more I think a series of unfortunate events occurred, and she tried to hike out and in a weakened state or dazed state, perished somewhere out there. :-(

Someone said "the movie theater closed and the bar/restaurant ? (Frosty Inn?) is now a clothing store"

Does anyone know this as fact for certain? Just trying to double check the facts.

The website regarding desolation point indicated that there was not water around and it had to be packed in. I wonder if she got in the wreck and just figured I'll hike the rest of the way and then comeback to the car later and somethig happened to her along the way.

However, the thousands of dollars left in the car baffles me. I don't get that.
Theres lots of water, maybe they meant no hook ups. Ross lake and glacial fed streams are everywhere up there

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back