WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009 - #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
:innocent:I was always curious that MM talked so freely about Lindsey and their closenness. If I'm correct she felt as if she was an aunt to listen. Paying for a cell phone for Lindsey is a gracious offering that it makes one wonder if MD & MM decided to take on another bill to help provide for JB. Maybe their is a form of discount for employees like the mother who was employed at the call center. I would think it would be important to be able to reach JB as well as LB. If you think about it at the time LB went missing MM & MD were most likely the mothers go to friends and possiblly her only ones unless we hear different. The mother didn't have the support system in the beginning as she has now. It has been reported the new friendship the mother made with kk upset MM quite a bit. I feel MM knows more about alot of the inner workings of the Baum family members and how this case has unfolded. I can't help but wonder SirSerendipitySeeker Are you thinking there may be a connection of six degrees between JB, Fish & Wild Life employees? Or I'm I leaning to far left field? Or for that fact were you referring to six degrees of separation from someone who may have been visiting within 24hrs. to 48 of Lindsey missing? Or are we talking about six degrees of kk & family? Enough questions! Whats your thought on this subject if you have one? :innocent: :truce: Just a brainstorm it will pass!

:innocent:I was always curious that MM talked so freely about Lindsey and their closenness. If I'm correct she felt as if she was an aunt to listen. Paying for a cell phone for Lindsey is a gracious offering that it makes one wonder if MD & MM decided to take on another bill to help provide for JB. Maybe their is a form of discount for employees like the mother who was employed at the call center. I would think it would be important to be able to reach JB as well as LB. If you think about it at the time LB went missing MM & MD were most likely the mothers go to friends and possiblly her only ones unless we hear different. The mother didn't have the support system in the beginning as she has now. It has been reported the new friendship the mother made with kk upset MM quite a bit. I feel MM knows more about alot of the inner workings of the Baum family members and how this case has unfolded. I can't help but wonder SirSerendipitySeeker Are you thinking there may be a connection of six degrees between JB, Fish & Wild Life employees? Or I'm I leaning to far left field? Or for that fact were you referring to six degrees of separation from someone who may have been visiting within 24hrs. to 48 of Lindsey missing? Or are we talking about six degrees of kk & family? Enough questions! Whats your thought on this subject if you have one? :innocent: :truce: Just a brainstorm it will pass!

Why do these people put their life stories on social web sites and delete everything after being looked at closer ? They are getting the attention they craved. The connections to everything such as court records, other forums, and media make them look suspect as well as attacking ( in writing ) sleuthers for putting the connections together. Anyone can start a search with Google, there is nothing extraordinary about us, except for being special for caring enough.

Maybe a similar scenario in McCleary ?

Molester with a method

Sex offender’s history revealed in civil commitment proceedings
Thomas Clouse
The Spokesman-Review Tags: Assistant Attorney General James Buder child molestation child rape Ronald Reo Timm Sally Neiland Sexually violent predator

Ronald Reo Timm is led into court Thursday in the Spokane County Courthouse for his civil commitment trial. Timm is a sex offender who has admitted to molesting 24 victims.
A jury will decide next week whether Ronald Reo Timm will ever get out of state custody. But the question remains: How does someone molest 24 children in Spokane over a period of two decades and essentially remain out of public view?

The answer, according to prosecutors and Timm’s own admission, is that he sought his prey in broken homes and bought their silence with toys and candy.

“I would have children spend the night … and set them up for victimization,” Timm said in an interview taped for court proceedings. “How can I put this? Kids like adults unconditionally. What I’m trying to say is they were not as likely to say no.”

According to court testimony, Timm befriended single mothers who struggled financially. He provided rent, paid other bills and ingratiated himself until the mother would allow him to baby-sit her little girls as their “special father.”

Of the 24 children he claims to have molested, all were between the ages of 3 and 7 and one was a boy. A couple of the victims were part of his immediate family.

Assistant Attorney General James Buder, who – along with colleague Tricia Boerger – is attempting to civilly commit Timm as a sexually violent predator, said Timm remained out of the public eye through careful manipulation of his victims.

“He definitely has a pattern to his offenses,” Buder said. “He identifies young women who have young children and he gains their trust. And then he offends. Children trust adults unconditionally and that’s why he targeted them.”

Buder said he could track Timm’s offenses back to 1975. Timm first was convicted in 1989 of first-degree statutory rape. Then in 1996, Timm pleaded guilty to first-degree rape of a child and received a 10-year prison sentence.

During those years, Timm wasn’t exactly anonymous, said Jerry Keller, a former Spokane Police detective who investigated the 1996 case.

“He was a person of interest in several cases during that time,” said Keller. “He was just very smooth … very smooth.”

In 20 years of investigating sex crimes, Keller said he saw many cases where offenders would go after mothers to get access to their children.

“There are several that stand out,” Keller said. “This was one of them.”

Before his scheduled release in 2006, the state started its legal effort to civilly commit Timm as a sexually violent predator.

During the preparation of that case, Timm told investigators that his problems began in grade school where he would lift up girls’ dresses and pay other girls to undress for him on the playground. That evolved into molesting, which broke up his first marriage.

Sally Neiland, the state’s sex-offender treatment supervisor, testified Wednesday about her interactions with Timm as he sought out counseling in prison.

Neiland described how Timm would approach his victims after bedtime.

“The majority of his offending occurred in the context of baby-sitting,” Neiland said. “He listened to the rhythm of their breathing to determine their level of sleep. It was his belief that they wouldn’t be harmed and they wouldn’t be able to tell on him.”

A 63-year-old grandmother, the legal guardian of one of the girl victims, said Timm was able to charm his way into her daughter’s life even though the family knew he was a sex offender from the 1989 conviction.

“The grooming process was amazing to see,” the grandmother said. “The first time I noticed it, he bought (the girl) a little toy saxophone. He would get on the floor and play with her and try to teach her how to play. I remember my husband and me saying, ‘We don’t see any problem.’ He was able to convince adults.”

But then the grandmother was baby-sitting her 3-year-old granddaughter when the toddler began complaining how “Daddy Ron” hurt her private areas.

“I freaked out. I confronted (the girl’s mother) … and she said (the girl) complains about that all the time,” the grandmother said.

The grandmother took her daughter to the courthouse and obtained a restraining order against Timm. But it expired two weeks later and the daughter eventually allowed Timm to return to the home where he lived off-and-on for another three years.

“Money,” the grandmother said, explaining how Timm got access. Her daughter “was a single mom on welfare. She was struggling. He helped her buy food and pay expenses.”

Keller said he recalled interviewing Timm before his arrest in 1996. Timm described living in the home with several small girls as a test because it was like “fantasy land.”

“Then months later I learned what happened to” the girl, Keller said. She “didn’t have a chance.”

The girl is now 19. She attended the opening statements of Timm’s trial, but was not called to testify.

“Oh my, I can’t even begin to say all the harm it’s done her,” her grandmother said. “She keeps it all bottled up. She says she doesn’t want to remember because she knows it would explode … and she wouldn’t be able to handle it. I detest him. There are no words for it.”

It was that girl’s image which further contributed to Timm’s problems.

Neiland testified that she learned during her counseling that Timm might be hiding something in his cell.

A search revealed that he had a picture of the girl and photos of several other victims. The cache included birthday cards and children’s drawings. Timm also had somehow been able to contact state agencies to learn where his biological children had been placed in protective custody.

“I’m an old man. I don’t need more trouble,” the 59-year-old Timm said on tape. “I don’t need to make any more victims.”

Buder asked Timm why, then, he had pictures of his victims in his prison cell while he was undergoing counseling.

“That’s my family,” Timm said.

Just thought I'd stop any rumors before they got started. I read elsewhere where a local told everyone that the streets near MBs house were blocked off and they are searching the house.
Yes, this is true. But it's nothing to get to terribly excited over.. MB is moving, the LEs are doing one final once over on the house to make sure everything has been covered.

edit to add:
http://www.king5.com/news/local/FBI-searching-home-of-missing-McCleary-girl-85558007.html

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/85571172.html

http://www.kirotv.com/news/22687279/detail.html

Just thought I'd stop any rumors before they got started. I read elsewhere where a local told everyone that the streets near MBs house were blocked off and they are searching the house.
Yes, this is true. But it's nothing to get to terribly excited over.. MB is moving, the LEs are doing one final once over on the house to make sure everything has been covered.

edit to add:
http://www.king5.com/news/local/FBI-searching-home-of-missing-McCleary-girl-85558007.html

Thanks for the heads up, JenniferO!
Glad to hear LE is doing a thorough job, and keeping you locals in the loop. Any whisperings about the investigation you can share? :angel:

Yes, it states the new lead investigators felt a second look was needed. Would they not have had to get a SW. due to the crime scene tape set up to keep Lindsey's room as is. Gathering samples of carpet and such by a new team appears to mean working a crime scene case before contamination. This may lead to something or it may exclude anyone from wrong doing that may have had contact with Lindsey. It has been said roads to Beck are closed off as well as others. Hopefully we will get an eyewitnes account that will show it is just simple routine similar to a landlord doing a walk through. Gathering for forensics does mean business usually. As we can see LE is setting the stage in the media since they have reported they would go over all media before release. The mother just keeps getting sideswiped at every turn. Couldn't the feds have waited until her belongings were out? Must have deemed necessary. Lets pray there will be new information in recovering Lindsey as any info is good. Never underestimate the quiet confidence of the FBI agents. Maybe it's time to contact Ace of Cakes to show our appreaciation for there dilligent work. Lindsey's spirit is still speaking to LE, the public, mother & brother and her extended family. Not the time to relax are arses yet as much as I wish we could. :praying: for Lindsey.
I wonder what past homes have been rechecked or which future ones will be. Any action is good action!

Finally, a tiny bit of good news for Mom Baum:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/22688415/detail.html

McCleary Mom Does Not Have To Pay Back Unemployment
Posted: 5:39 pm PST February 26, 2010

>>>snip

...A top official with the Employment Security Division reached out to Melissa Baum after our story and said does not have to repay the money, but she remains ineligible for unemployment because she left work to search for her daughter and care for her son.

<<<snip

I'm so glad to know that the system does indeed work, at least sometimes. Three cheers for this 'top official' with a heart!
e060.gif
a075.gif

k030.gif

8 months today :( Hoping to hear from you soon, Lindsey.

Finally, a tiny bit of good news for Mom Baum:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/22688415/detail.html

McCleary Mom Does Not Have To Pay Back Unemployment
Posted: 5:39 pm PST February 26, 2010

>>>snip

...A top official with the Employment Security Division reached out to Melissa Baum after our story and said does not have to repay the money, but she remains ineligible for unemployment because she left work to search for her daughter and care for her son.

<<<snip

I'm so glad to know that the system does indeed work, at least sometimes. Three cheers for this 'top official' with a heart!
e060.gif
a075.gif

k030.gif

I'm so glad mom Baum has one less matter to worry about - she must be on overload right now. I hope living with family helps her out a bit. MOO

edit to add:

I doubt MB totally shut out everyone from entering her dwelling and her vehicle, so how many people (beyond the expected MB, JB, KK, MK) have, since 06/26/2009?

LE should have collected on those target items long ago but without immediate need to 'compare' and with the house not being flagged as a crime scene, it's moot.

Well, LB's room was LE yellow-tape-sealed after having been searched a few times. I've always thought that interesting.

What did LE expect to happen [over time] in that room?

Given the verbal evidence (some of which we've read in forums) obtained by LE I'm sure they expected LB to sneak into the house now and again to grab items.

Did LE install a spycam or silent entry-alarm when they sealed the room?

It's probable that MB does not expect LB to come home and LE is working 'recovery' mode. Maybe the CARD team convinced everyone? Odds are odds.

What happened to LB?

Mobile lab.
"This ain't know fooling around, 'Talking Heads'" It appears FBI is as in-charge as was stated in the pressured pressor. Future searches may tell a story applicable to Lindsey's disappearence annd having the mobile crime unit in close proxcimetry may mean they want all evidence tested pronto. What concerns me is the mothers home was the first home of concern after 3 previous visits. The sheriffs comments seem to show a couple of plays on words. I always remember that media at this time is working hand in hand with LE and use their words carefully as well. Do any of the locals know if the helicoptors above were media or part of the search to keep media from covering say a back yard search? I ask this due to the streets being blocked off for privacy. I can understand the Golders Search & Seizure requiring roads to be blocked but this search was so low keyed.

On another note the mother can appeal for her unemployment to be reinstated. The primary disqualification categories involve....
1. Discharge for misconduct connected with the work.
2. Voluntarily quit for personal reasons.
3 Refusal of suitable work without good cause.
4. Worked stopped resulting from particulars in a labor dispute.
5. receipt of wages in liew of notice.
6. Workers compensation or retirement pension.
In situations involving the first three categories the disqualification remains in effect until the claiment returns to work for at least six weeks and/or earns at least six times his or her working benefit amount.
However nice our states Unemployment Division was to the mother by dropping the monies I'm still at a loss as to why the mother was told she would not be elligble for unemployment. The private phone call discussing paying the state back must have been fortelling as to why. I can't imagine the mothers anguish at this time and pray some day for her to be graced with an understanding of Why so much was placed on her when trying to find out why things are as they are leading to Lindsey's abduction.

Sunday prayers for Lindsey who came into our lives for reasons we may never understand. We are blessed to call you Lindsey, our "heartchild"

Many who post here have a whole heart home full of children they care for. They nuture our souls with love in caring for another's child.

"This ain't know fooling around, 'Talking Heads'" It appears FBI is as in-charge as was stated in the pressured pressor. Future searches may tell a story applicable to Lindsey's disappearence annd having the mobile crime unit in close proxcimetry may mean they want all evidence tested pronto. What concerns me is the mothers home was the first home of concern after 3 previous visits. The sheriffs comments seem to show a couple of plays on words. I always remember that media at this time is working hand in hand with LE and use their words carefully as well. Do any of the locals know if the helicoptors above were media or part of the search to keep media from covering say a back yard search? I ask this due to the streets being blocked off for privacy. I can understand the Golders Search & Seizure requiring roads to be blocked but this search was so low keyed.

snipped by me...

Actually all searches of this nature (L.E.) typically consist of blocked off roads - but contrary to what some seem to think the only area that was blocked off was the road directly in front of the house the alley behind the home was not even blocked which makes an LE concern over a backyard very unlikely. Blocking roads is done to prevent the nosy people from getting too close as well as a bit of privacy for themselves and for the residence.

And yes there is a very clear reason as to why they collected stuff (carpet fibers etc) from the Baum's home at this time (with consent) - the Baum's are moving. It is easy to want to read more into it but that assumption sometimes merely turns a person in the wrong direction. For the record this was only unknown to some :)

If you are interested in real searches stay tuned because they should be starting soon!!

Thaks Destiney for a response, means alot to here different opinions of what LE is investigating. To hear second hand by someone who is in the know with LE gives us members the reassurannce that they mean business! Thank you for sharing as we would have no clue as to what is being stated to those local to the case. Your message in post is appreciated. I'm sure tension must be high in town as many who wouldn't help search wanted everything to go back as normal. Sounds as if this upcomming week will not bring the peace some really may be wantng at this time. Destiney as someone who cares for Lidsey and her mother and brother is their an overall feeling of sadness in town now that FBI are focusing on someone local? I know the town is used to to its ups and downs but I'v shared with those local my concern for how this will effect the community as a whole? So much "unexpected ugly" came from sluething the case that it makes me feel there just might be an uproar for change once the evil is contained, tried and incacerated. For so many local to lindsey's story an opportunity to scream for change just might fall into play. The respect towards Lindsey will come full circle. Something to the Circle of Life.

Excitement is not in my vocabulary when discussing a crime perpetrated on a child at any interval of an investigation. I become queesy when a "wait for" is given as it sounds like a teasing trailer to a suspense thriller. This case has seemed emotionally draining from the beginning for all of us. If something is found to be discovery it will be the saddest day and will take time to filter to accept.
My left brain in sluething I use spock thinking (or try to) reference but the right brain brings on frustration and deep sadness for many reasons that I have never posted. At this jucture it feels as if it is in Gods hands as our LE proceeds on. What ever will be will be. Heart Hugs to all!
Reading Elizabeth Kubler-Ross this morning I came acroos a quote about stained glass windows and I perked up as I am collector. After reading it it hit me how this reminded me of Lindsey. Lindsey is like stained-glass windows. She sparkles and shines when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in she reveals her true beauty from her light within. Her light hasn't dimmed in my eyes but I'm at peace knowing the determination of LE to recover her and put the monster away.

Do any of the locals know if the helicoptors above were media or part of the search to keep media from covering say a back yard search? I ask this due to the streets being blocked off for privacy. I can understand the Golders Search & Seizure requiring roads to be blocked but this search was so low keyed.

Helicopters=media
Watch the king 5 news video.

This wasn't a "search".. this was a collection of sorts. They wanted to make sure they had everything possible (carpet fibers, hair etc) before MB moved. Once she moves the landlords will more than likely clean carpets, repaint and either sell or re rent the home. Therefore there wouldn't be a chance for the LE to get these samples if they might need them later.
This wouldn't have happened if MB wasn't moving.
As far as the roads being blocked.. that wasn't done until people became looky lous and thought it would be a neat idea to drive by and see what was going on. LE put up the road blocks for privacy and so they could work without having people bothering them.

Im still here Lindsey!! hope you find your way home!!

OT: my little guy is going to have surgery soon, to long of a health story :
i hope as things settle down i will have more time to spend here, other than just reading....(which i do look forward too!)

keep up the good work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member