WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reviewed the WW article in question. It is rather ambiguous. Here's the quote I had in mind:

"A resident reported finding the car at 8 p.m. and told deputies the car had been there for the previous hour."

My interpretation of this quote is that, at 8 p.m., the resident called LE and reported the car, but he told deputies that the car had been there for an hour before he called LE.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/16/case-now-turns-to-lab-work-authorities-hope/?online

My guess is that he had noticed it an hour before. Otherwise, it seems that he would have seen who left the car there.

First time here, but I believe I have read almost everything that has been written about this case in the threads here and in the WW. I am local. At the risk of being drummed out of the corps before I’m even in the corps, I would like to mention a topic of which we’re all aware…that on occasion LE in various parts of the country have sought the input of persons who bill themselves as psychic intuitives. I have no idea if anyone on the local LE team has quietly looked down this avenue with respect to this case, but I am aware (because I was the one who asked) that a reputable psychic (I know that is an oxymoron for some, if not all, who may be reading) has some impressions. It took me more than 24 hours to get up the nerve to broach this topic here because I saw what happened with “Brian’s Dream” on the WW site---and, by the way, I have no idea what that was about…if it was legit or not. Even what I’ll mention now is not something seen with the physical eye, so who knows. The person I referred to above (who resides in this state but not in this community) has the impression (easy on me please, guys) that the individual who committed this horrible crime, with some help with aspects of it, is a “heavy-set/chunky/big/husky” Caucasian male in his mid-to-late 20’s. I know that doesn’t quite fit with some of the prevailing theories, but I will throw it out there anyway. I submit this in good faith for your consideration, really wanting the perpetrator(s), whoever he/she/they may be, off the streets.

Just had a "how'd I miss this?" moment. Great thing about doing the timeline is that it forces me to look back over older articles.

We know that Mackenzie did not leave her car on Pitcher Canyon Road. I remain amazed that one LE representative refuses to give info when requested by the media, but then another turns right around and gives another media rep just what we needed to know.

From a 16 February article:

Investigators ask that anyone who might have seen someone walking out of Pitcher Canyon on South Methow Street or Squilchuck Highway between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 9, call the tip line. Captain Jones of the task force looking into 17-year-old Mackenzie Cowell's death said the person who left Cowell's car in the canyon where it was later found likely walked on one of those two roads afterward.

Therefore, not Mackenzie. The footprints were not Mackenzie's! Otherwise, Jones would have said, "We ask that anyone who saw Mackenzie walking...."

But it's an unknown person. To go along with the footprints left by said unknown person.

I know this is a minor detail, but it surely does help firm up a timeline. I wonder if Mackenzie's final signal bounce was possibly caused by her turning on her phone to try to get help, and then the phone being taken from her and destroyed by her captor before she was murdered.

I WISH we knew the tower from which that signal bounce originated!!

Anyway, it sounds like the task force believes that the person who left the car up on Pitcher Canyon Rd. and left the footprints from pavement to asphalt is the person who is responsible, either directly or after the fact, for the murder.

Good. The quote from that article is consistent with my interpretation of the article I sent you because, if MC's car was parked in PC at 8 p.m., then LE would ask if anyone saw somebody walking out of PC between 5 and 9 p.m.--not 5 and 8 p.m.

Good. The quote from that article is consistent with my interpretation of the article I sent you because, if MC's car was parked in PC at 8 p.m., then LE would ask if anyone saw somebody walking out of PC between 5 and 9 p.m.--not 5 and 8 p.m.

Hey, del. I've not received anything you've sent, other than coming across stuff in this thread. I already added the "about an hour before calling LE" article...so if that's the one you're talking about, I was happy you posted it.

I think the time line is firming up. Don't you?

Hey, del. I've not received anything you've sent, other than coming across stuff in this thread. I already added the "about an hour before calling LE" article...so if that's the one you're talking about, I was happy you posted it.

I think the time line is firming up. Don't you?

Yes, good job. t's as good as one could do with the (little) info we know.

Maybe once your done with the timeline, you could make a list of potential POI/suspects?

I know that this has already been discussed earlier however what if perp stashed a bike or dirt bike up PC prievious to taking MC's car up there. or putting a bike in trunk, folding seats down to allow more room and coming out this way so as not to be seen coming down either squilchuck or methow. a car may not be able to go around gates but bike would.

just a thought

From: [1000-2599] Pitcher Canyon Rd, Wenatchee, WA 98801 US
To: [1-10] N Western Ave, Wenatchee, WA 98801 US

DRIVING DIRECTIONS
--------------------------------------------------
A) [1000-2599] Pitcher Canyon Rd, Wenatchee, WA 98801 US
1. Start out going WEST on PITCHER CANYON RD. (go 1.3 miles)
2. PITCHER CANYON RD becomes unnamed road. (go 0.8 miles)
3. Turn RIGHT. (go 2.1 miles)
4. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto STISS CANYON RD. (go 1.0 miles)
5. Turn RIGHT onto NUMBER 2 CANYON RD. (go 3.2 miles)
6. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto S WESTERN AVE. (go 0.7 miles)
7. [1-10] N WESTERN AVE. (go 0.0 miles)
>> ESTIMATED TIME: 24 minutes | DISTANCE: 9.21 miles
B) [1-10] N Western Ave, Wenatchee, WA 98801 US
>> TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 24 minutes | DISTANCE: 9.21 miles

To view your map, click on the link below or copy and paste it to your browser:
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/2-IB_p7PZr

:dance:
For all the guest here... You should just sign up and talk to us. We really are nice and you can speak your mind without fear of anyone attacking you like on some of the other sites...
:dance:

I know that this has already been discussed earlier however what if perp stashed a bike or dirt bike up PC prievious to taking MC's car up there. or putting a bike in trunk, folding seats down to allow more room and coming out this way so as not to be seen coming down either squilchuck or methow. a car may not be able to go around gates but bike would.

just a thought

From: [1000-2599] Pitcher Canyon Rd, Wenatchee, WA 98801 US
To: [1-10] N Western Ave, Wenatchee, WA 98801 US

DRIVING DIRECTIONS
A) [1000-2599] Pitcher Canyon Rd, Wenatchee, WA 98801 US
1. Start out going WEST on PITCHER CANYON RD. (go 1.3 miles)
2. PITCHER CANYON RD becomes unnamed road. (go 0.8 miles)
3. Turn RIGHT. (go 2.1 miles)
4. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto STISS CANYON RD. (go 1.0 miles)
5. Turn RIGHT onto NUMBER 2 CANYON RD. (go 3.2 miles)
6. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto S WESTERN AVE. (go 0.7 miles)
7. [1-10] N WESTERN AVE. (go 0.0 miles)
>> ESTIMATED TIME: 24 minutes | DISTANCE: 9.21 miles
B) [1-10] N Western Ave, Wenatchee, WA 98801 US
>> TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 24 minutes | DISTANCE: 9.21 miles

To view your map, click on the link below or copy and paste it to your browser:
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/2-IB_p7PZr

I wonder if the reason that the task force has subpoenaed records from family members is because they want to see if a family member made a cell call from somewhere near Pitcher Canyon Road. Perhaps the person who left the car walked back toward town a little ways and then called someone to pick him/her up. Even if the person who gave the lift to the person who called didn't SEE the car, after this hit media, they had to know that they gave a ride to someone involved somehow in Mackenzie's disappearance. If that happened, then SOMEONE out there knows who left the car on PCR.

Maybe the reason that he hasn't contacted LE is because he or she was directly involved in Mackenzie's murder.

Del Rio, You probably already know this, B construction co is the same one that added or matched the reward fund. $38,000.

I have a question that I just can't seem to figure out...If MC left beauty school at 3ish and last text at boat dock was at 340pm. Then that leaves 1hr and 20 mins that LE must have some idea what happened, cause the ask for tips about PC between 5pm and 8pm... any ideas here ??

I have a question that I just can't seem to figure out...If MC left beauty school at 3ish and last text at boat dock was at 340pm. Then that leaves 1hr and 20 mins that LE must have some idea what happened, cause the ask for tips about PC between 5pm and 8pm... any ideas here ??

Hi, inspector. They are also asking for tips from 3:00 to 5:00. They ask that anyone who may have seen Mackenzie at the boat ramp area of Riverside Park between 3 and 5 PM to call the tip line.

in my theory the perp would not need to make a call to anyone about a ride. If perp had MC's cell phone with him, when you change locations that differ it sends a ping to new cell tower or if you go out of service same thing, and or coming back into service Western street makes sense to me.

I wonder if the reason that the task force has subpoenaed records from family members is because they want to see if a family member made a cell call from somewhere near Pitcher Canyon Road. Perhaps the person who left the car walked back toward town a little ways and then called someone to pick him/her up. Even if the person who gave the lift to the person who called didn't SEE the car, after this hit media, they had to know that they gave a ride to someone involved somehow in Mackenzie's disappearance. If that happened, then SOMEONE out there knows who left the car on PCR.

Maybe the reason that he hasn't contacted LE is because he or she was directly involved in Mackenzie's murder.

The article linked below actually says Tower information is being sought for Cowell’s phone and phones owned by “people who called her and knew her,” said Doug Jones, spokesman for the task force investigating her death.

He declined to be specific about the owners of those phones.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/mar/02/cowell-investigators-await-more-cell-records/?online

The stream in which MC's feet were placed comes from a spring on the CB property. The spring is the pond. The pond is located at the same elevation as the CB house. From the pond, the stream flows down the hill and empties into the river (approximately 50 yards from the pond). The brush line ends about 5 to 20 feet from the river (depending on the level of the river, which can vary from day to day). In in the stream where the brush line ends is where MC's body was found. Whether her body was actually in the brush or just beyond the brush line, I don't know.

Based upon differences between what I saw at that spot last fall and what I saw 2-weeks ago, I speculate that the perps placed some loosed brush and/or branches on her body to conceal it. Why I know about the loosed brush and/or branches I will reveal when the perps are charged.
[/QUOTE

Could this be deemed miraculous that her body was discovered at all? I still cannot physically picture the finding. Would you have had to trip over her feet if you were following the shore line?

snipped...
From a 16 February article:

Investigators ask that anyone who might have seen someone walking out of Pitcher Canyon on South Methow Street or Squilchuck Highway between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 9, call the tip line. Captain Jones of the task force looking into 17-year-old Mackenzie Cowell's death said the person who left Cowell's car in the canyon where it was later found likely walked on one of those two roads afterward.
snipped...

Thanks for bringing this up. If we've got the murderer dumping the car, he has a little over 2 miles to make it to S. Methow street, assuming again that he doesn't get someone to pick him up. But where from there? Does he know someone in South Wenatchee that he asks for a ride from, (don't think so if he's walking out of the canyon anyway). I would think he's gonna walk the rest of the way home or take the bus and try not to be remembered by anyone.) He's now showing up back home even later and would really have some explaining to do to his "wife". Or, if you jump over to the premeditated theory, he had his vehicle parked in downtown/south wenatchee area and walks to it and drives home. Big benefit to walking/taking the bus or getting back to his car parked in South Wenatchee is it wouldn't need to include anyone else to help him out of the canyon and home. Big drawback - dumping the car takes longer.

I seem to remember that police say they weren't able to get a good track, (one of the reasons they had search teams and aerial looking for MC up Pitcher Canyon). I would think if they had tracking dogs follow a scent all the way down to Squilchuck or Methow the story would have come out different. Another thing, if you google the place where the car was dumped you won't see any homes in the direction back towards town for about half a mile, therefore I would think the dog would have been able to track a scent at least that distances down the canyon. If they were able to get a scent track, I think that original story would have been written differently. (Police were much more forthcoming when it was believed we were still looking for her alive). From first article on WW: "The air search followed unsuccessful search efforts Tuesday night by deputies on foot with a sheriff’s department tracking dog."

Isn't it fairly obvious that no one was "picked up" where the car was abandoned? They know someone left the car there, by the quotes from LE, and they MUST have footprints walking away from the vehicle, which is why they were asking for the public to remember if they saw anyone walking that route on the night in question.

Isn't it fairly obvious that no one was "picked up" where the car was abandoned? They know someone left the car there, by the quotes from LE, and they MUST have footprints walking away from the vehicle, which is why they were asking for the public to remember if they saw anyone walking that route on the night in question.

I think that it's a question that they have to ask, mostly because someone walking out would be pretty noticeable. Someone driving out wouldn't be as noticeable, so that may be why the didn't ask that.

The footprints near the vehicle go from vehicle to asphalt, not parallel to the road.

If you guys would like to compile a list of the "cast of characters" in Mackenzie's murder, that might be helpful for reference.

Please identify people by their initials only, and do not include any minors.

This is a fictional example of how the list might look:

John Smith (JS), victim
PS, victim's wife
MS, victim's adult daughter, age 25

etc.

For now, please hold off on compiling a list of potential suspects. I need to do some thinking and checking about that.

Hoppy

Just had a "how'd I miss this?" moment.

We know that Mackenzie did not leave her car on Pitcher Canyon Road.

Investigators ask[/URL] that anyone who might have seen someone walking out of Pitcher Canyon on South Methow Street or Squilchuck Highway between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 9, call the tip line. Captain Jones of the task force looking into 17-year-old Mackenzie Cowell's death said the person who left Cowell's car in the canyon where it was later found likely walked on one of those two roads afterward.

Therefore, not Mackenzie. The footprints were not Mackenzie's! Otherwise, Jones would have said, "We ask that anyone who saw Mackenzie walking...."

But it's an unknown person. To go along with the footprints left by said unknown person.

I WISH we knew the tower from which that signal bounce originated!!

Speculation If LE was looking for someone walking down the Canyon between 5 and 9, the footprints likely were not Mac's. So, if the footprints were not Mac's- then someone dumped the car and LE was looking to identify that someone being up Pitcher Canyon between 5 and 9 PM. So, couldn't further speculation lead one to believe the last ping off the cell phone came from that area as well? LE knows where the ping came from- they just are not saying...

I gotta believe that the phone was in the car the entire time and the last ping was either up the canyon or somewhere on the road back to town, where the perp finally destroyed or disabled the phone.

I think the car being called in at 8 PM and the phone ping are how LE placed someone exiting the scene between 5 and 9. They are backtracking about 1/2 hr to 45 minutes before last ping and an hour after the car was reported thinking the perp may have been in the area a while, either way, coming or going.

The reason for the extra hour in asking for identification of someone walking down 'till 9 would be that it is quite a long walk back to Wenatchee from Pitcher canyon. Someone may have seen the perp as late as an hour walking and entering town after the car was dumped.

So, moving along with my theory, I think that car was parked up there just prior to, or after the last phone ping. After leaving the boat launch, somehwere between 4 and the shortly before the time of the last ping, Mac was taken from that car and untimely events occured. The car was then taken up Pitcher canyon and dumped (near the time of the ping). I'd bet it sat there until the folks (RH- who reported the car) likely saw it as he drove past it coming home or doing a ranch errand.

Bewteen Mac being at the boat launch at 4 Pm and the car likely being dumped between 5:30- 6:00 PM is this: Where was the car (and Mac) during this time?

I believe del rio asked what kind of car WC drives... I have seen her around town sometimes in a black SUV and also a large black Denali truck

SO anyone know who drives the BLACK pick up SIERRA CT -licence B15_ _ _ _

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members