Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

Discussion in 'Lyle Stevik' started by KateB, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleykins

Alleykins Well-Known Member

I would like to see him, too, even if we never learn his name. I would like to see him smiling.

2. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

I believe he is smiling Alleykins, because of the many people who cared enough
    To send him home; if only in spirit. You’re home “Lyle”. God Bless.

3. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

I have cards like that for both my boys (born in the 1980's), so I think it would be possible.

4. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Well-Known Member

He was from California. I don't know how long they have been doing it but I think I have read CA requires a thumb print when you get a driver's license.

5. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

Even if that technology was being used in 2001, wouldn’t that mean his prints were in AFIS?

Eta - maybe not:

Fingerprints, including thumbprint, are collected by DMV for added security to your driver license information and protected under Veh. Code 1808.5 and the California Supreme Court’s decision in Perkey v. DMV (1986) 42 Cal.3d 185. Your fingerprints are not shared outside of the department, unless authorized by law.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/dl/how_info_shared

6. Lilywhee

Lilywhee Member

I can't believe he's been identified. This is the case that brought me to Websleuths!

7. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Well-Known Member

I was going to say I'm not sure. I searched and found this article stating they have been required since 1982: http://articles.latimes.com/1986-07-25/news/mn-272_1_fingerprint-data

I may be misinterpreting this but it sounds like the court ruled in 1986 that the DMV could not pass the fingerprints on to other government agencies. That would mean they could have had his fingerprints on file with the DMV but not in a criminal database. It sounds like they can only be pulled by a coroner to compare if they have your body and your name as a possible ID. But I might have that wrong, I'm not sure. Hopefully our California residents on the board can clarify.

8. Snoopster

Snoopster Well-Known Member

Rest in peace Lyle.

:rose: :rose: :rose:

9. bears10

That’s how I understood it too. Which would make sense if they got the bulk of the work done through dna and finalized it with fingerprints. Sorry, super tired tonight and probably not making much sense. Off to bed. RIP “Lyle”

10. Owutatangledweb

Owutatangledweb Well-Known Member

Rest In Peace dear soul. I'm glad you will be reunited with your family, so to speak.

Should a mod be alerted to include "identified" in the title of the thread? I had no clue.

11. coldcaseman

coldcaseman He alone is dead who has been forgotten

Lyle's family had a set of his fingerprints that were taken in grade school, as part of a children's identification program. The Sheriff's Department compared those prints with the post mortem prints I took in 2001, and made a positive identification.

Tamerlan likes this.
  12. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

:tyou:

13. Claireishere

Claireishere Well-Known Member

He travelled almost 13 hours from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. DakotaMayi

DakotaMayi Former Member

Literally, my heart is so full that he is been identified. Everyone deserves their name, don't they?

Of course, my very selfish side is saying "I soooooooooo want to know what his name is and what he looked like, I want to know "Lyle"."

But I'm just happy he's been identified, I hope it gives him further peace. I know that he covered up his identity but, maybe he just didn't realize it would happen like that.

Anyway, main point is: Rest in Peace Mr "Stevik". :rose:

15. DakotaMayi

DakotaMayi Former Member

I might sound a bit crazy, but I feel quite touched by all of this.

First Marcia, now Lyle, I wonder who is next.

I guess it's because soooo much time had passed since their deaths that it appeared as if hope was fading of them ever having their names back. And then here we are, two in the space of what? A month? From new ways of solving these UID's. It's quite something to read about.

I can't wait to see who gets their name back next. Also, I'd quite like to see this work out for the Zodiac.

16. LaLaw2000

LaLaw2000 Louisiana

Wow! This is great news! I couldn't sleep and was reading over on the EAR threads and thought of Lyle. If EAR could be identified (albeit for a different reason) after all these years, I thought Lyle could be also by the same means. I came over here and could not believe what I was seeing about Lyle having been identified!!

Lyle was so young and didn't realize that whatever it was that led him to take his life would have eventually blown over and he would have been able to smile again someday. This young man has touched me so deeply.

I would like to know if his real first name was Phillip and his mother was/is a nurse. Long story and I won't go any further into it but the pieces would fit.

Sorry for the long post. I guess after this length of time I am just dumbfounded at this news.

May Lyle rest in Heavenly Peace. His family are in my thoughts and I am thankful they will have him back for a proper burial.

17. seopaula

seopaula Member

Same as me!!!

18. bears10

Welcome back! I was thinking about you a lot yesterday. Thanks for all you did for Lyle, without your hard work I doubt this would have a conclusion.

19. Roselvr

Roselvr Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

Thanks for all you've done for Lyle. As you know; there is no headstone on Lyle's grave. Please tell the family that we'd all be glad to fund raise to give him a proper headstone unless they're going to exhume him to bring him home which we can fund raise to do too.

20. bears10

The moderator of lyles reddit sub did offer the family (through LE) to crowdsource funds for relocation and funeral. I don’t think we are allowed to fundraise on WS from what I remember in another case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.