WA WA - Nguyet Thu Phung, 19, Lynnwood, 9 May 1991

<modsnip - removed post that violated TOS>
It's almost entirely unlikely that she would have hitchhiked. She was a smart cookie and this was not the 70's, nor was this her first day in the big city.

Last edited by a moderator:
I attempted to begin a new thread for Wiki/Thu because the old one had only a handful of comments, but it appears the two have been merged...making it difficult for this post to became fresh and seen by new eyes. Please if you can, message your worthwhile fellow sleuths to help us out on this thread. My posting is the large on in the middle of pg 1 (with a few photos attached).

I’m friends with her younger sister. Back in 2014 I sought to have her eliminated as a match to “Helen Doe” who was discovered in a truck fire 5 days after the disappearance of Nguyet.(5/9/91 and 5/14/91) Since then I have been following Helens cases hoping to find her true identity. I’ve ask for more details from Nguyet’s her sister so it can be added to the file.
Can you tell me which file you are talking about? File on a database? Police report for Helen Doe or Case File for Wiki? Please if you have a moment I'd love to collaborate.

This is the new case coming up: skull recovered in Tacoma while doing a mudslide cleanup (Jan 2022). This is weighing on my mind.

Police Say Serial Murderer At Work In 3 Counties | The Seattle Times

"I view the 12 missing women the same as the eight missing Green River victims," he said.

No one is saying any of the murders since 1985 are the work of the Green River serial killer, but whoever is doing the killing shares some habits with the notorious murderer: he abducts mostly prostitutes, kills them, and leaves their bodies in rural areas.

The 12 missing women are: Virginia Rambus, 19; Diane Robbins, 13; Patricia Barczak, 19; Doris Mulhern, 21; Darci Warde, 16; Erin MacGregor, 18; Jami Sherer, 26; Deborah Wims, 31; Linda Moore, 29; Heather Kinchen, 14; Nguyet Thu Phung, 19; and Cora McGuirk, 22.

Rambus, Robbins, MacGregor, Sherer and Phung had no known connection to prostitution, said Tom Jensen, the King County detective who does much of the day-to-day tracking of the women.
The way that article was written was very irreponsible, even though they correct the assumption about Wiki in the next paragraph or so.. Just so irresponsible.

I’m friends with her younger sister. Back in 2014 I sought to have her eliminated as a match to “Helen Doe” who was discovered in a truck fire 5 days after the disappearance of Nguyet.(5/9/91 and 5/14/91) Since then I have been following Helens cases hoping to find her true identity. I’ve ask for more details from Nguyet’s her sister so it can be added to the file.
Hi there, sorry to bother you again. I've been told that the dad submitted DNA pre 2015, did that show up while you were doing your work? Was it still good/available, and do you know if it is in a database?

What a heartbreaking case.
I am sorry to ask, but which Jane Does has she been ruled-out against? Don't know where else to start. It seems to me she must have encountered the wrong person and maybe been tricked into coming close to their vehicle, office, or house. Just speculation.
Her profile on NamUs:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I am sorry to ask, but which Jane Does has she been ruled-out against? Don't know where else to start. It seems to me she must have encountered the wrong person and maybe been tricked into coming close to their vehicle, office, or house. Just speculation.
Her profile on NamUs:
I appreciate your responding. This thread is from years ago but the Websleuth formatting put my new thread into this one.
If you do go on FB, Thu's older sister and I started the Bring Wiki Phung Home page. We'd be happy to have any serious and thoughtful people aboard. Just need people with compassion and ideas.

FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN A NEW PUSH FOR JUSTICE AND FAIRNESS FOR WIKI, PLEASE CONSIDER JOINING OUR NEW FB PAGE "BRING WIKI PHUNG HOME" - family will be on there but things will still get done. Anything tougher to discuss should be done by PM with admins, or on here.

Her profile on NamUs:
It was Helen Doe in Washington, and forensics showed the woman, who died in a vehicle fire in 1991, was Native American. Whatever remains they had helped them make multiple portraits of her and the earring she was wearing.

FYI: "Wiki" was Thu's nickname. Her first name was Nguyet but she went by Thu, her middle name, even in school yearbooks, etc. Looking through newspaper articles or anything else is complicated by that issue.

Police Say Serial Murderer At Work In 3 Counties | The Seattle Times

"I view the 12 missing women the same as the eight missing Green River victims," he said.

No one is saying any of the murders since 1985 are the work of the Green River serial killer, but whoever is doing the killing shares some habits with the notorious murderer: he abducts mostly prostitutes, kills them, and leaves their bodies in rural areas.

The 12 missing women are: Virginia Rambus, 19; Diane Robbins, 13; Patricia Barczak, 19; Doris Mulhern, 21; Darci Warde, 16; Erin MacGregor, 18; Jami Sherer, 26; Deborah Wims, 31; Linda Moore, 29; Heather Kinchen, 14; Nguyet Thu Phung, 19; and Cora McGuirk, 22.

Rambus, Robbins, MacGregor, Sherer and Phung had no known connection to prostitution, said Tom Jensen, the King County detective who does much of the day-to-day tracking of the women.
The article went on to list those with no ties to prostitution.

THU "WIKI" PHUNG was a 19 year old cutie with her entire life ahead of her until 9 May 1991.

Wiki lived at home with her parents, who brought her and her other 5 siblings from Saigon, Vietnam to escape the historical Communist takeover; and she was thriving: a loving family, a high school diploma, good friends. Wiki was a Seattle college student with a clerical job at Seattle's downtown Federal Building. She disappeared without a trace while going to and from school, work and home. Due to the timing of her disappearance she was hurriedly grouped into a pool of the many unfortunate missing women who were considered to be victims of the Green River Killer (now known as Gary Ridgeway), or a copycat killer. She neither matched the Ridgeway's victim pool, their circumstances or his well-defined hunting grounds.

Wiki was a devoted, good sister, excited future auntie and daughter. Her family was shattered with no answers: WIKI HAS NOT BEEN FOUND. Police effort, for various reasons, was scant and brief. Her father died with a broken heart and had said he would rather have lived a hard life under Communism than have brought his family to the USA and lose his dear daughter.

Looking through 5 different newspaper sources and a fair amount of tim
THU "WIKI" PHUNG was a 19 year old cutie with her entire life ahead of her until 9 May 1991.

Wiki lived at home with her parents, who brought her and her other 5 siblings from Saigon, Vietnam to escape the historical Communist takeover; and she was thriving: a loving family, a high school diploma, good friends. Wiki was a Seattle college student with a clerical job at Seattle's downtown Federal Building. She disappeared without a trace while going to and from school, work and home. Due to the timing of her disappearance she was hurriedly grouped into a pool of the many unfortunate missing women who were considered to be victims of the Green River Killer (now known as Gary Ridgeway), or a copycat killer. She neither matched the Ridgeway's victim pool, their circumstances or his well-defined hunting grounds.

Wiki was a devoted, good sister, excited future auntie and daughter. Her family was shattered with no answers: WIKI HAS NOT BEEN FOUND. Police effort, for various reasons, was scant and brief. Her father died with a broken heart and had said he would rather have lived a hard life under Communism than have brought his family to the USA and lose his dear daughter.

Looking through 5 different newspaper sources and a fair amount of time with online searches, there have been a total of FIVE articles that mentioned her--her case is filed as a cold case. If you have any information, however small, or any ideas: please reach out. Her family is counting on us. This is an entirely renewed family and friends effort so ENTHUSIASM is much appreciated.

Contacts: this thread
or
Lynwood, WA Police: 1-206-775-4545
Case #: (OCA) L91-04425

"Wiki" is listed as Nguyet Thu Phung on the NamUS missing persons index.

e with online searches, there have been a total of FIVE articles that mentioned her--her case is filed as a cold case. If you have any information, however small, or any ideas: please reach out. Her family is counting on us. This is an entirely renewed family and friends effort so ENTHUSIASM is much appreciated.

Contacts: this thread
or
Lynwood, WA Police: 1-206-775-4545
Case #: (OCA) L91-04425

"Wiki" is listed as Nguyet Thu Phung on the NamUS missing persons index.

Thank you for this information, this definitely changes a lot in regard to what might have happened to ‘’Wiki’’

Do you know if she made it to school that day, or if she made it to work and then disappeared after? It could be very useful if we could narrow down the timeline of when Wiki and where disappeared.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back