WA WA - Patti Krieger, 65, Sauk Mountain, 2 Oct 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The pics in facebook of the searchers on the side of the mountain give an awesome visual description of what they are going through on this search for Patty.
It's like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Has there been a report of where Bear was found? Could he be taken back to that site so he could backtrack to where he came from? How long does a scent last? Could a search dog search another dog's scent?

The BF and a friend of his was interviewed on Ron & Don a few days ago, but I was on an errand run and didn't catch enough of it to make a very complete report. He and his friend have also been searching for Patty, and he believes (he says) that she's still alive. He didn't know whether there was any activity on bank accounts or credit cards because (he says) after his first encounter with the son, he packed up all of Patty's business papers and delivered them to the police. He said he didn't want anyone thinking he was getting into her accounts or anything like that.

He said something about it being odd about the way the dog showed up, and he seemed to think that the location where the dog was found didn't make sense. I don't know if I understood this very well, but he seemed to be saying that the dog would have had to walk all the way up to the top of the mountain and then come back down on the other side in order to have got himself to where he was found. But take that with a big grain, because I'm no good with geography, locations, directions.

He said that Patty owns several houses and several cars. The way he described her made it sound as though she is "well fixed." And he said he doesn't have a problem with Patty's son, and doesn't understand why the son has such a big beef with him.

That is all I can remember. One of these days I hope to hear a whole "Ron & Don" on a local case without being interrupted!

I don't understand the bf. If he truly believes she came down off the mountain, why isn't he out searching for her?
Why would a grown woman, who owns property (if that is true),
just disappear?
If she was fed up with the bf, she could just say, leave.
If she was needing a vacation, she could do that.

First news reports say that she was on the mountain to scatter the ashes of one of bf's family.
Although I have never understood why she would take a 'different trail.'

I get the feeling she is still up there on the mountain. Maybe she was injured, her dog, Bear, stayed with her for a long time and then made his way down the mountain.

Prayers for the family.

I don't understand the bf. If he truly believes she came down off the mountain, why isn't he out searching for her?
Why would a grown woman, who owns property (if that is true),
just disappear?
If she was fed up with the bf, she could just say, leave.
If she was needing a vacation, she could do that.

First news reports say that she was on the mountain to scatter the ashes of one of bf's family.
Although I have never understood why she would take a 'different trail.'

I get the feeling she is still up there on the mountain. Maybe she was injured, her dog, Bear, stayed with her for a long time and then made his way down the mountain.

Prayers for the family.

The BF and his friend had been up on the mountain searching for Patty when they talked to Ron & Don. Ron & Don asked him the opposite question: If you believe she's still alive, why would you be up on the mountain looking for her? The BF said he was searching in case he was wrong, since so many people believe she is still up there--and even the police have changed their theory now and think that she's there. But he said with every search party that goes out, and every hour that goes by that she's not found, he becomes more convinced that she left the mountain.

He said that a search team had used dogs that tracked her to the parking lot. He seemed to think there might have been foul play with someone forcing her into a car, because he didn't think she would leave the dog. So someone may have blocked the dog from getting into the car at the last moment--or they may have taken the dog at the time, but later returned the dog to the mountain at a later time.

I don't know that I'm explaining this very well, but he kept stressing the odd location where the dog was found. What he seemed to be suggesting is that from where Patty and the dog were last seen, the dog would have had to go all the way up the mountain before it could "switch sides" and show up on a lower elevation ... but on the other side of the mountain. My thought was that he seemed to be thinking in terms of what trails were available ... but would a dog necessarily stick to trails ... or might a dog be willing to work his way through a certain amount of thicket?

It certainly is a mystery and I don't know what to think. My sense of things is that Patty is still on the mountain. Did the BF do any foul play in the sense of purposely hurting her? I kind of don't think so. But, as I posted before, in my circle, no one would walk away from an ill-equipped friend in that kind of rugged terrain ... so at the very least, he doesn't seem to be a very caring person.

About the ashes: The group was supposed to scatter some ashes. According to one of the group (but not the BF), Patty got upset at the last minute and could not part with the ashes ... did not want to scatter the deceased person. That's when she went off on her own. The others called out to her that she was going the wrong way, but she just kept going. This is what I say ... in my circle, if she would not come back to the group, then one of us would have gone with her. We would not have let her wander off on her own in those conditions.

It certainly is a mystery and I don't know what to think. My sense of things is that Patty is still on the mountain. Did the BF do any foul play in the sense of purposely hurting her? I kind of don't think so. But, as I posted before, in my circle, no one would walk away from an ill-equipped friend in that kind of rugged terrain ... so at the very least, he doesn't seem to be a very caring person.

Well... living in the general area, and knowing people in local SAR... it does nobody any good for more than one person to get stuck on a mountain.

Thinking of Patti tonight. Hopefully she will be brought home one day soon.

I don't recall if I posted this, but I don't think it's impossible for the dog to have made his/her way back to the parking lot. Perhaps initially the dog was trying to do a "Lassie" thing, to get help for Patty.

It's just that I read somewhere that someone (b/f?) was using the dog's presence in the parking lot as indicating that Patty had come back to the parking lot and left. She wouldn't have left her dog (duh).

Well... living in the general area, and knowing people in local SAR... it does nobody any good for more than one person to get stuck on a mountain.

Well you have a point there.

I don't recall if I posted this, but I don't think it's impossible for the dog to have made his/her way back to the parking lot. Perhaps initially the dog was trying to do a "Lassie" thing, to get help for Patty.

It's just that I read somewhere that someone (b/f?) was using the dog's presence in the parking lot as indicating that Patty had come back to the parking lot and left. She wouldn't have left her dog (duh).

Bear, Patty's dog, was not found in the parking lot. He was found in an area known as Rockport. I have no sense of geography and am not familiar with Sauk mountain at all, but the way I have heard it described, Rockport seems to be on the other side of the mountain (and a lower elevation) than where Patty was last seen.

The dog that went to the parking lot was a search dog when SAR was trying to track Patty. The search dog tracked the scent to the parking lot, which is why LE orginally thought Patty had left the mountain after leaving the group.

Bear, Patty's dog, was not found in the parking lot. He was found in an area known as Rockport. I have no sense of geography and am not familiar with Sauk mountain at all, but the way I have heard it described, Rockport seems to be on the other side of the mountain (and a lower elevation) than where Patty was last seen.

The dog that went to the parking lot was a search dog when SAR was trying to track Patty. The search dog tracked the scent to the parking lot, which is why LE orginally thought Patty had left the mountain after leaving the group.
Thanks! I should have read back to refresh my memory.

Dogs are known for being loyal to their "owner", so it makes me wonder if some nefarious person took the dog away from Patty. And then led/took the dog to where it was found.

If Patty is not RIP on the mountain, I don't think Patty left the mountain willingly.

The more I've heard about the case, the more I think she is on the mountain, and there was no foul play--though I still feel hinky about that whole group having left without knowing she was okay.

I have read a lot about the terrain being really, really rugged, with a lot of thicket and bramble. Also I've heard now that some of the people in her original party though the trail she left on actually looped around and reconnected with the trail they were on. But that trail does not loop around or reconnect.

It does seem odd that the search dog tracked her to the parking lot. I can't explain that. Maybe someone who knows more about how the dogs work could weigh in on that one.

I think she went off on that trail not realized how rugged it would get, and by the time she realized she was lost, she must have been in a really tough area. I think you are right. I think the dog probably stayed with her as long as he possibly could.

I wish they would hurry up and find her wherever she is, for the peace of mind for her son.

157057_168966896476111_153897757983025_328460_2972022_n.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildtazz57